Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the Monsanto defender has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I talked to him once while walking the dog and he was bragging about paying a lot of money to a breeder for them. That is the only reason I know they're pure bred.

In the end, him having to deal with 2 huskies is punishment enough for all his crimes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

huskies are awesome dogs

for running long distances and pulling heavy loads in cold weather

the thought that anyone pays “purebred” levels of money to have them as house pets is just hilarious

I feel bad for the dogs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

In the end, him having to deal with 2 huskies is punishment enough for all his crimes.

unless by "walk" he meant "roller skiing"

i have seen this in minnesota. minnesota rules

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

unless by "walk" he meant "roller skiing"

i have seen this in minnesota. minnesota rules

in the summer here mushers run their teams by hooking them up to a 4-wheeler, putting it in neutral, then letting them pull it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Fool posted:

huskies are awesome dogs

for running long distances and pulling heavy loads in cold weather

the thought that anyone pays “purebred” levels of money to have them as house pets is just hilarious

I feel bad for the dogs

not saying this is what the guy did but you can get show varieties of a lot of breeds. some people on my block have a show springer spaniel and it's the most relaxed dog i've ever met. pretty much the polar opposite of what you'd expect from a springer

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Fool posted:

in the summer here mushers run their teams by hooking them up to a 4-wheeler, putting it in neutral, then letting them pull it

iirc the best sled dogs nowadays are some kind of mutt that's like, husky/inuit dog/malamute or something isnt it?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think i've said this before but one of my parents neighbors made off like a bandit during the obamacare website fiasco. He has a huge house, all luxury cars in the drive way, and 2 pure bred huskies. He also tried to get my dad to shovel snow off his driveway and sidewalks because he thought he was the help. Lmao

was your dad getting the mail and this guy just ran out and told him to shovel his driveway or something?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

iirc the best sled dogs nowadays are some kind of mutt that's like, husky/inuit dog/malamute or something isnt it?

depends on what you’re doing

the big name long endurance races like the Iditarod and the quest are bred like that

some of the sprint mushers have dogs with pointers and greyhounds in the lineage

semi-famously there was a guy that had a team of standard poodles back in the 80’s and 90’s

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 8, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we had two malamutes, maly and Troy, when I was growing up. I guess they’re the muscle of sled teams, but they aren’t as good of leaders as husky’s are, so you normally have a combo of both or yeah a mix breed between them.

they were awesome dogs. they would pull us around in a sled in the winter and in a wagon in the summer, and my dad would take them on walks dragging tires full of concrete. he got them to pull him around on a skateboard too for awhile.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The_Franz posted:

was your dad getting the mail and this guy just ran out and told him to shovel his driveway or something?

No we were shoveling snow outside and he just came up and asked my dad to shovel his driveway. He didn't even ask nicely, he just kind of demanded it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

AnimeIsTrash posted:

No we were shoveling snow outside and he just came up and asked my dad to shovel his driveway. He didn't even ask nicely, he just kind of demanded it.

ok imma need video of this entire encounter tia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Going to ask my dad to put on a go pro and record his life. It's just going to be hours and hours of an old indian man staring solemnly at the raised beds in the backyard.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
cool

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The neighbor was Indian and my dad is a lot darker skinned than the rest of the family so I wonder if it was some caste related thing. It was a strange interaction nevertheless.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Going to ask my dad to put on a go pro and record his life. It's just going to be hours and hours of an old indian man staring solemnly at the raised beds in the backyard.

just imagining him sipping coffee/tea and mumbling complaints about the weather. "My tomatoes are going to die if we don't get some rain soon." The slow TV we all need.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I get annoyed when I call my dad and the only thing he has to talk about is the report on how much rainfall they've gotten in the past month, broken down by week, with updates on the rainfall in neighboring towns where other family live. "We only got a quarter inch in the first week of July but up at your grandma's they got a half inch." I also feel like it's the sort of thing I'll miss when he's gone so :shrug:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

poo poo I thought this was the "coping with the idea of the mortality of all the people you love" thread, sorry

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

shoeberto posted:

I get annoyed when I call my dad and the only thing he has to talk about is the report on how much rainfall they've gotten in the past month, broken down by week, with updates on the rainfall in neighboring towns where other family live. "We only got a quarter inch in the first week of July but up at your grandma's they got a half inch." I also feel like it's the sort of thing I'll miss when he's gone so :shrug:

its an old man thing, my dad does this too. sometimes my mom puts water in the rain gauge to gently caress with him

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a family in our dog's obedience class had the biggest poodle ive ever seen. the dad would take it on a ten mile run every morning and it was still bouncing off the walls. it only knew one trick: it'd sit up on its hind legs, the kid would point a gun hand at it, and it'd fall over. nothing else, no sitting, no rolling over, nothing

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah, as an electrical engineer, *not* working for a BAE Systems or Lockheed Martin type is my main career goal. there are things that i have worked on that are more fun or less fun, but the main thing is that none of them are purpose built to blow up or kill other humans.

it's fun to accidentally click on a job posting for "RTX" or "LM Recruiting" and quickly finding out it's the latest cryptocontractor shell game for raytheon or lockmar

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoeberto posted:

When I call my parents our conversations go like this: they ask me how I am doing, and proceed to ask 80 questions about how the the cats are doing. If the cats were people they would probably just tell me to hand the phone over to them.

PokeJoe posted:

its an old man thing, my dad does this too. sometimes my mom puts water in the rain gauge to gently caress with him

lmfao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When I call my parents our conversations go like this: they ask me how I am doing, and proceed to ask 80 questions about how the the cats are doing. If the cats were people they would probably just tell me to hand the phone over to them.

this is redirected grandparent energy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

shoeberto posted:

I get annoyed when I call my dad and the only thing he has to talk about is the report on how much rainfall they've gotten in the past month, broken down by week,

everything is small talk with my parents because they blast their brains with 14 hours of fox news every single day

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

everything is small talk with my parents because they blast their brains with 14 hours of fox news every single day

:same: :smith:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm fortunate that my parents haven't fallen into that trap. They're not great about having genuine, open conversation, but if we veer into politics it's usually just bashing the people in their local republican enclave.

PokeJoe posted:

:hellyeah:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my dad follows elon musk on twitter so thats the worst i have to deal with

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Shaggar posted:

imagine how he must feel with you as his son!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

i cannot imagine my parents using twitter. the latest from my mom was she heard a podcast on cbc radio about people 'training' on warcraft then doing something bad irl with that training. no details.

i told her blizzard was facing a billion lawsuits for abetting sexual harassment and that warcraft 'trained' you to be a cog in a group of 40 people raiding and following a script some poopsocker figured out for your role and how boring that must be, lol.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shaggar being really young certainly explains the posts.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i cannot imagine my parents using twitter. the latest from my mom was she heard a podcast on cbc radio about people 'training' on warcraft then doing something bad irl with that training. no details.

i told her blizzard was facing a billion lawsuits for abetting sexual harassment and that warcraft 'trained' you to be a cog in a group of 40 people raiding and following a script some poopsocker figured out for your role and how boring that must be, lol.

twitter is pretty easy to use if all you're doing is following people

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dad is almost 80 and calls me to ask if writing code is like looking into the matrix

I’ve even shown him what code looks like and he still thinks I’m Neo which feels good but the downside is he also asks me what the dark web is or if an email about male performance enhancement is legit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh i should also mention my dad does everything with excel. before he retired he was working for a paper based products company and he would take live data from the plant controls systems and throw it into predictive models he had built in excel using a VBA thermodynamics package he bought. he was able to find problems and fix them in 100 year old machines based on the model he built in excel. fuckin cool as hell.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

not saying this is what the guy did but you can get show varieties of a lot of breeds. some people on my block have a show springer spaniel and it's the most relaxed dog i've ever met. pretty much the polar opposite of what you'd expect from a springer

it's a loving show dog with loving papers

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1457771381400031237

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol happy 5th Trumpiversary

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

lmfao that is the whitest thing anyone has ever said

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The neighbor was Indian and my dad is a lot darker skinned than the rest of the family so I wonder if it was some caste related thing. It was a strange interaction nevertheless.

lol nonwhite racism

shoeberto posted:

lol dad autism

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my dad is almost 80 and calls me to ask if writing code is like looking into the matrix

I’ve even shown him what code looks like and he still thinks I’m Neo which feels good but the downside is he also asks me what the dark web is or if an email about male performance enhancement is legit

obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HluANRwPyNo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hey at least he's asking you and not just trusting it as legit