Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The silliest part of Dread is when you get a power bomb expansion early it reports "Unknown item" and doesn't actually give you power bombs. Which is a thing because even casual backtracking will reveal a couple of these.

The only other time I think this happens in the series is in Zero Mission when you('re forced to) get space jump "early", but in that case Zero Mission was a remake of Metroid in which space jump didn't exist, and Samus doesn't get access to the post-Metroid powers until the post-OG Metroid ending sequence.

I'm okay with this since it means you can pick up a few along the way and go to the final boss with more then the starting amount without a lot of back tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

I'm okay with this since it means you can pick up a few along the way and go to the final boss with more then the starting amount without a lot of back tracking.
Countepoint: Is early power bombs actually game breaking in anyway? Maybe it makes some cutscenes a bit silly, but I'm not sure it actually changes gameplay in a significant way other than awesome room clearing stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samus picked up the bullets but not the gun that launches it is how I think of the power bomb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Countepoint: Is early power bombs actually game breaking in anyway? Maybe it makes some cutscenes a bit silly, but I'm not sure it actually changes gameplay in a significant way other than awesome room clearing stuff.

It'd mess with the narrative, I think. The EMMIs are carrying a lot of Samus's classic power-ups and I think the impact would be lessened if you could already have power bombs by the time you get to the EMMI who has power bombs.

I dunno, it didn't really bother me all that much either way I guess. Finding the "you can't use this yet" items was still like "oh cool I got a thing early" even if I had to wait before I could actually use it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Len posted:

Samus picked up the bullets but not the gun that launches it is how I think of the power bomb

you need to get the suit's butthole upgraded to poop out the power bombs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does metroid dread do the thing that super metroid did where there's like green and orange doors, and you have very limited missiles or bombs or whatnot, and if you're colorblind you're boned bc you can't tell that the door is a new color, and don't have the missiles for a "shoot every door" strategy?

nb that i have not played super metroid for a long time so i might not be remembering accurately

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The map tells you what door it is

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you need to get the suit's butthole upgraded to poop out the power bombs

Its a cloaca actually

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

does metroid dread do the thing that super metroid did where there's like green and orange doors, and you have very limited missiles or bombs or whatnot, and if you're colorblind you're boned bc you can't tell that the door is a new color, and don't have the missiles for a "shoot every door" strategy?

nb that i have not played super metroid for a long time so i might not be remembering accurately

no

the map will also keep track of blocks you’ve revealed but not cleared yet and tell you what power works on them once you get it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The map tells you what door it is

But does it do so using a symbol or using a color because if it's the latter that doesn't help anyone.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't make that clear...it tells you in text

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's awesome thank you!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Finding early power bombs isn't really all that hard - like my first run I got one like, even before I had the item it wanted me to use to get it early. I want to say there's at least one that is particularly easy to stumble into early, like not even back-tracking or sequence breaking, just exploring a side path or something. It feels like any half-inquisitive player will end up with early power bomb expansions.

Compare that to early super missile, which you actually gotta a tricky shine spark sequence break.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
phew the diamond leaks that came out today are looking pretty rough

but I didn't know following pokemon was back, that's nice

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

There's actually two kinds of green doors and I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize they looked different, so I unloaded all my missiles on one of the "wrong" kind before I actually had the ability to unlock it.

Seriously though you should be OK even without the map text.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

It feels like any half-inquisitive player will end up with early power bomb expansions.
That's probably true. I think the "Unknown item" thing is basically fan service.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

also i think from zero mission on, the different kinds of door barriers look different. and the missile ones only take 1 missile instead of 5.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think Dread is the best Metroid actually

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's probably true. I think the "Unknown item" thing is basically fan service.
It's a really nice way to make the player feel clever or like they did something the game didn't "expect" them to do, without breaking the balance.

Like, when it works, Metroid Dread is generally pretty good about silently guiding you by kinda tricking you into thinking you've discovered the right way forward on your own?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Battling is too hard ultimately. Great game otherwise.

I don't remember fights being especially hard in Earthbound. Especially if you buy bottle rockets and the multi bottle rockets in particular let you buy your way through boss fights.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't remember fights being especially hard in Earthbound. Especially if you buy bottle rockets and the multi bottle rockets in particular let you buy your way through boss fights.

I think there's a point where you get strong enough to just go through it, but the grind is pretty real at the beginning. The fights aren't hard, in that there's not much to actually do, but you can get under-leveled if you don't fight a lot.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think there's a point where you get strong enough to just go through it, but the grind is pretty real at the beginning. The fights aren't hard, in that there's not much to actually do, but you can get under-leveled if you don't fight a lot.

yeah the curve in the first few towns, before you get any other characters, is the hardest part of the game by a pretty wide margin

despite this, it is the best RPG of all time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

phew the diamond leaks that came out today are looking pretty rough

but I didn't know following pokemon was back, that's nice

What leaks are those. Spill the deets

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

the missile and super missile doors are decorated with different shapes from each other on top of being color-coded so you should be fine.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What leaks are those. Spill the deets

somebody got the game early and played through the majority of it live before going dark (c&d implied)

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573487418163202

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

drat i can't believe gamefreak only did the bare minimum, that's so unlike them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't believe the game that has been marketed completely as a graphical remake with no new forms, moves, megas, characters or events has no new forms, moves, megas, characters or events.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

drat i can't believe gamefreak only did the bare minimum, that's so unlike them

I mean, HG/SS and other remakes and re-releases (B2/W2) show that they can do more in some cases.

I guess though, this one is being handled by another dev, so I guess they gotta follow in the footsteps and make the first one they do, the bare minimum.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

somebody got the game early and played through the majority of it live before going dark (c&d implied)

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573487418163202

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573490056384514?t=m6viTRaBn0RMMAUgthu9lA&s=19

What does the music being unfinished even mean? My guess would be that it doesn't loop properly?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573490056384514?t=m6viTRaBn0RMMAUgthu9lA&s=19

What does the music being unfinished even mean? My guess would be that it doesn't loop properly?

My understanding is some of the music in the leaks is bad midi versions of what was in the trailers. I haven’t personally heard the music, just read people discussing it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I fuckin' love this Animal Crossing update. The other day, I played for two hours straight without even realizing it.

I have wheat and tomatoes now. :3:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’ll wait for more footage to come out before I join the lol train but the gen 4 remakes sound (and look) like giant turds even as someone who went in expecting pretty little

Like the vid I saw yesterday is still something I’m pretty sure was a joke because there was at least 20 seconds of a round of battle being taken up by system messages about how much your infernape loves you

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

Read After Burning posted:

I fuckin' love this Animal Crossing update. The other day, I played for two hours straight without even realizing it.

I have wheat and tomatoes now. :3:

it loving owns

I guess this isn't a surprise but I love how largely mechanically irrelevant the new cooking system is. just exists to make cute lookin' food

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GTA Trilogy and Zelda Game and Watch

The blessed week is upon us

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

it loving owns

I guess this isn't a surprise but I love how largely mechanically irrelevant the new cooking system is. just exists to make cute lookin' food

Yeah, but that's kind of "the point" of Animal Crossing, isn't it? I'm hoping they add new recipes as time goes on...I know this is being billed as the "last major update", though.

"Store upgrades/more stores" and "Night Owl ordinance" were my two main complaints with the base game, so the update adding these would have been enough for me. The gyroids and the cooking are just extra bonuses. :D

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oxyclean posted:

But on the other hand, Marnie's battle music is a bop.

uh, extremely false

Marnie's battle music is two bops

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Stux posted:

i dont care about widely regarded gen 4 is infinitently better than the true worst gen, gen 5, which simultatenously broke the minds of 50% of pokemon fans and started them demanding absolutel garbage instead of fun.

gen 5 has literal garbage as a pokemon, who is also one of the best pokemon.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was out of town for ~3 weeks and didn't have time to keep up with the Nintendo thread.

Looks like SMTV isn't out yet but BoI:Repentance finally is. (Finally!) And I suppose the AC update if I want to lose contact with my wife for a while.

Anything else newsworthy over the last few weeks?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not even giving you the quality-of-life change of using TMs more than once is pretty lame. There's really no reason to keep that even in a remaster. None of it really surprises me but goddamn lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of Binding of Isaac: Repentance, how does the new content work if own a physical copy of the game? Do you pay for it digitally and it acts as DLC?