Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Rugby may have lower impact speeds but it had the same macho culture of playing on with brain injuries. Still playing even when you already have a brain injury will cause extra problems. Plenty of ex-players have stories of not remembering entire sections of games. How much this extra damage contributed vs the original is unknown but it isn't going to be good.

Hell, it was only five years ago I can remember a Welsh player being out cold for a few seconds and he was allowed to play on.

Glen Webbe famously scored one of the all time great full pitch sprinting tries after getting one hell of a high tackle and knocked out cold. No memory of it at all apparently. Full 40 minutes of absolute blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Anyone going to Nash Bash this year?

My team is bringing at least one side, maybe a second social side if we get enough bodies.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Incredibly close game between Scotland and Australia. Could have gone either way but Scotland scrum in the first 70 minutes was pretty much all the difference between two teams that couldnt break each other down all match.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Some questionable reffing in that game but a fun game to watch.

First game I've watched with my kid and he spent most of the game watching the scrims counting the amount of people who fell over then telling me this.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Incredibly close game between Scotland and Australia. Could have gone either way but Scotland scrum in the first 70 minutes was pretty much all the difference between two teams that couldnt break each other down all match.

Yes, I was waiting for Scotland to bugger it up some how, good win for the jocks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Scotland has a pretty strong recent record against Australia, and along with the All Blacks and England, are one of the big bogey teams for the Wallabies right now.

Also, Wales were absolutely robbed against the Springboks. gently caress that loving drunken fuckwit who interfered with the play.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

Scotland has a pretty strong recent record against Australia, and along with the All Blacks and England, are one of the big bogey teams for the Wallabies right now.

Also, Wales were absolutely robbed against the Springboks. gently caress that loving drunken fuckwit who interfered with the play.

Wales weren’t robbed. There MAY have been a try but there were cover tacklers, and as the game went on SA increased its dominance. (That guy was a dick though). Wales was getting hammered in the scrum, mauls, a bit less at breakdown but SA was turning the screws.
I thought that Wales got away with pretty much every line out throw being crooked.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

therattle posted:

Wales weren’t robbed. There MAY have been a try but there were cover tacklers, and as the game went on SA increased its dominance. (That guy was a dick though). Wales was getting hammered in the scrum, mauls, a bit less at breakdown but SA was turning the screws.
I thought that Wales got away with pretty much every line out throw being crooked.

There's an open tryline in front of Williams who would have had every chance of making it.

Sure, there's no guarantee that Wales would have won had the idiot not obstructed them, but when the final margin is 5 points, who knows how things could have turned out.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 8, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

There's an open tryline in front of Williams who would have had every chance of making it.

Sure, there's no guarantee that Wales would have won had the idiot not obstructed them, but when the final margin is 5 points, who knows how things could have turned out.

Obviously I am an SA fan, but I am not particularly one-eyed (and I actually really like Wales). An incident like that slightly diminishes the integrity of the SA win, but it's stronger than "there was no guarantee" - I don't think he would have scored (although he might have). He isn't getting the ball at pace - he's overrun it slightly and he has to check his run to collect it. That is what gave time for the cover tacklers to arrive, not the invader. The small amount of time taken to avoid the invader I don't think is enough to have been decisive - look how far from the try-line he is (5m line) when he is tackled (by two players). That extra split-second wouldn't have got him that much closer. Not even Sam Warburton thinks that he would have scored.

""I don't think Liam Williams is going to score there, I think he slightly overran himself anyway, he would have had to check himself," Warburton said."
https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/pitc...38-5bfb88dfb74b

Some neutral coverage agrees:
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/south-africa-snatch-dramatic-late-victory-to-deny-wales-in-cardiff-1.4721796

"Williams had to jump over the pitch invader before he was duly led away, although Wales would not have scored."

So saying that Wales was robbed is not right, I think. Sorry! It was a pretty decent game though, that incident notwithstanding.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

therattle posted:

Look the better team won but you need to fix your glasses.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

Look the better team won but you need to fix your glasses.

Eh, that’s what I remember seeing, a number of pretty crooked throws. If I see replays which show it differently I’m happy to change my mind. While doing a quick search I did see analysis which strongly suggested that the disallowed Bok try was valid. What’s the view on this?

https://youtu.be/K8gnoWIiwc0

And here at about 2:40

https://youtu.be/uR7a-U1LJkU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

therattle posted:

Eh, that’s what I remember seeing, a number of pretty crooked throws. If I see replays which show it differently I’m happy to change my mind. While doing a quick search I did see analysis which strongly suggested that the disallowed Bok try was valid. What’s the view on this?

https://youtu.be/K8gnoWIiwc0

And here at about 2:40

https://youtu.be/uR7a-U1LJkU

I do feel for the boks on that try. If you look at the first video at about 42s one of the offside players (Marx? Behind Am) clearly makes an advance. It's only a few steps and then they stop before turning and retreating. But another day that's a try.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I do t know if I’ll have time to watch Scotland-Aus. I know the result but I do love watching Australia get beaten and it’s so great that Scotland is a force to be reckoned with again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

therattle posted:

Obviously I am an SA fan, but I am not particularly one-eyed (and I actually really like Wales). An incident like that slightly diminishes the integrity of the SA win, but it's stronger than "there was no guarantee" - I don't think he would have scored (although he might have). He isn't getting the ball at pace - he's overrun it slightly and he has to check his run to collect it. That is what gave time for the cover tacklers to arrive, not the invader. The small amount of time taken to avoid the invader I don't think is enough to have been decisive - look how far from the try-line he is (5m line) when he is tackled (by two players). That extra split-second wouldn't have got him that much closer. Not even Sam Warburton thinks that he would have scored.

""I don't think Liam Williams is going to score there, I think he slightly overran himself anyway, he would have had to check himself," Warburton said."
https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/pitc...38-5bfb88dfb74b

Some neutral coverage agrees:
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/south-africa-snatch-dramatic-late-victory-to-deny-wales-in-cardiff-1.4721796

"Williams had to jump over the pitch invader before he was duly led away, although Wales would not have scored."

So saying that Wales was robbed is not right, I think. Sorry! It was a pretty decent game though, that incident notwithstanding.

I say there there's no guarantee that scoring that try would have definitely led to a Welsh win because it was at the start of the final quarter of the game. Had it been at, say, the 75th minute, I'd say that Wales were denied a draw and a potential match winner.

However, considering that the game was on a knife edge at that point, it's also just as possible that it could have been a definitive score. Either way, that possibility got snuffed out when that dumb gently caress, and Wales were unfairly denied the opportunity to find that out through no fault of their own.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, is anyone else getting sick and loving tired of that Jarvo fuckwit? What in the gently caress are security doing? Just trespass that shithead. "OOOHHH LOOK AT ME, I'M GOING TO BREAK THE COVID BUBBLES OF VARIOUS VISITING INTERNATIONAL TEAMS FOR MY TICKED TOCKS AND SOCIAL MEDIA CLOUT!" Piss off, you loving idiot.

Apparently he was also planning on "joining the Haka" and doing his own "crazy moves." Get hosed, you racist piece of poo poo. I wish Buck Shelford were young enough to still be playing, because I'd pay real money to see what'll inevitably happen when some whypeepo shithead starts gurning and prancing about, mocking an important cultural display for non-whites. Honestly, if you think that this is acceptable or funny, literally go die in a ditch. You'd better have a loving good excuse like "I'm 5 years old, and I genuinely don't know any better." So what's that fucker's excuse?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Apparently he was also planning on "joining the Haka" and doing his own "crazy moves." Get hosed, you racist piece of poo poo. I wish Buck Shelford were young enough to still be playing, because I'd pay real money to see what'll inevitably happen when some whypeepo shithead starts gurning and prancing about, mocking an important cultural display for non-whites. Honestly, if you think that this is acceptable or funny, literally go die in a ditch. You'd better have a loving good excuse like "I'm 5 years old, and I genuinely don't know any better." So what's that fucker's excuse?

Buck would gently caress up a oval office. And it would indeed be great.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

edogawa rando posted:

Also, is anyone else getting sick and loving tired of that Jarvo fuckwit? What in the gently caress are security doing? Just trespass that shithead. "OOOHHH LOOK AT ME, I'M GOING TO BREAK THE COVID BUBBLES OF VARIOUS VISITING INTERNATIONAL TEAMS FOR MY TICKED TOCKS AND SOCIAL MEDIA CLOUT!" Piss off, you loving idiot.

It wasn't funny the first time round and I don't get how he gets through so many security cordens

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah he can gently caress right off.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Haka is not for “non-whites”.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

One thing that's pretty sure is that the pitch invader will never live it down.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I know nothing about Jarvo, but the reactions to what he's been doing has elevated his actions to the status of art. The internet is packed with frothing idiots furiously masturbating themselves at the idea someone will beat him up, not them no a big boy will come and do it for them..... but they'll get to watch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

I say there there's no guarantee that scoring that try would have definitely led to a Welsh win because it was at the start of the final quarter of the game. Had it been at, say, the 75th minute, I'd say that Wales were denied a draw and a potential match winner.

However, considering that the game was on a knife edge at that point, it's also just as possible that it could have been a definitive score. Either way, that possibility got snuffed out when that dumb gently caress, and Wales were unfairly denied the opportunity to find that out through no fault of their own.

We will have to agree to disagree - I think the chance of Wales scoring in that position were very low. Williams overran the ball, had to check, and there were 2-3 cover tacklers who comfortably intercepted him before the 5m line. He never got close to the tryline. Of course we won't ever know definitively but to me that wasn't going to be a try.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scotlands defence is getting a real workout here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pierre Schoeman has been eating his porridge, absolute unit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be a lot of exhausted lads by the second half. Could go full rout if they can't find a solution.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Gonna be a lot of exhausted lads by the second half. Could go full rout if they can't find a solution.

Yeah the defensive set is really strong so far but only so long you can do that for.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

changing the whole front row seconds before half time is a new one on me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

changing the whole front row seconds before half time is a new one on me.

Did the water boy forget to switch them at 30 mins?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Can't wait for Tom English to smugly tell us that Scotland won't amount to anything.

He's been very quiet lately so he'll enjoy a good wank on paper.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Scotland can take a lot of positives from the match. Poor at the set piece and under the high ball but generally good defensively and some fun attacking let down by a lack of precision in places.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I think Scotland can take a lot of positives from the match. Poor at the set piece and under the high ball but generally good defensively and some fun attacking let down by a lack of precision in places.

Oh yeah absolutely agree with you, it's just Tom English! :D

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That penalty count though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

That penalty count though.

The count was bad but I think you have to look at when they happened, a lot of scrum penalties and in the second half when we were forcing it a bit. Obviously we need to do better but I don't think it's as bad as the number first suggests.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is there no one to take over from Finn Russell?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Is there no one to take over from Finn Russell?

Adam Hastings seems the obvious choice.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Spicy start to this one, don't know if Ireland will pull it off but good to see a bit of fight so far.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Adam Hastings seems the obvious choice.

Should have gotten him on sooner.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Soft yellow leading to a James Lowe try? Goondolences, kiwi fans.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Soft yellow leading to a James Lowe try? Goondolences, kiwi fans.

Very odd game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That was much better from Ireland there.