Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

PeterWeller posted:

Paul foresees the birth of Leto II. He does not foresee that Leto II will have a twin sister.

Wrong, exact opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
It's not much, but GEoD describes the Navigators as using 'linear prescience'. Paul and Leto's prescience shows them multiple branching futures, so that might help explain why the Guild never used their foresight as effectively.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Isn't it allso because prescient people can't see the future of other prescients once these last ones get turbo high? Like how Leto II couldn't see Siona after the point when she had to take the spice from his flap-water? Or am I misremembering?

Also, saw the movie. DUNC good. Wish we had more time with Yueh, since in the books his betrayal is really heartbreaking, especially what with his relationship to Jessica and Paul.

Wish we had more Piter as well. I like Dastmalchian and I think he woul've made the part really fun.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Vincent posted:

Isn't it allso because prescient people can't see the future of other prescients once these last ones get turbo high? Like how Leto II couldn't see Siona after the point when she had to take the spice from his flap-water? Or am I misremembering?

Also, saw the movie. DUNC good. Wish we had more time with Yueh, since in the books his betrayal is really heartbreaking, especially what with his relationship to Jessica and Paul.

Wish we had more Piter as well. I like Dastmalchian and I think he woul've made the part really fun.

Siona had prescience shielding genes. That was Leto II’s end goal, to make someone immune or outside of it, and then get them to pass those genes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol flap-water

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mossyfisk posted:

quote:

THE ORGY AS A TOOL OF STATECRAFT
and why not

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cerv posted:

and why not

A young Silvio Berlusconi puts down his translated paperback copy of Dune Messiah, inspired

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
In dune messiah theres a dwarf named bijaz. A character uses super ninja voice inflection to tell an 80 year old woman shes not a sex object. The bene gesserit try to make paul and his sister gently caress.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

porfiria posted:

In dune messiah theres a dwarf named bijaz. A character uses super ninja voice inflection to tell an 80 year old woman shes not a sex object. The bene gesserit try to make paul and his sister gently caress.

Sold in the first sentence dude, you can stop selling

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sold in the first sentence dude, you can stop selling

You're in for a wild ride. That is mostly talking. But wild!

tbh Children of Dune is the more filmable of the sequel books. It has Leto II hulking out and clowning on people with his total precognition and sandtrout skin at 500 km/h as a huge payoff. Most of Paul's limitations were a result of his internal resistance to the Golden Path and Leto II choses to embrace it because he's already a monster.

To be the Messiah is to be born a monster. You could turn aside from it, but being born this thing, your love for humanity is greater than your love for being human.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 9, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I gotta read these fuckin’ books.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does this ever get answered in the books?

ruddiger posted:

Do the books ever reveal what formed the hand of god formation on the larger moon? I’m assuming it’s from when whatever space god squatted over arakkis to poo poo space worms all over it and gripped the moon for balance.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Paul could make rather astute guesses at where Edric had been, I believe, because people (I suppose Irulan?) would sometimes vanish - which is why he knew of the conspiracy and even that it was Irulan who'd poisoned Chani.

However, Paul also completely missed that Leto II was even born, as his (second) son never figured in his visions (despite the fact that he knew his first son had died, which is perhaps a bit of a plot hole).

I think it was precisely because his second son was born a full KH, immune to his prescience, while his first was not.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I assume it's the same thing that formed visible shapes on Earth's moon, which is volcanic eruptions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do they say how the Harks get Dr Yuehs wife in the book? Do they snatch her from the Ateides compound or is she off on some other world?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Might have missed something but in DUNC are the highliners acting more like tunnels instead of transports?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
In 60s and 70s SF there were a lot of SF authors debuting their really weird fetishes in print. Herbert wasn't the worst by a long shot; I think most of the sex in the Dune series is consensual...ish. Still, he does win the cover art prize.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tirranek posted:

Might have missed something but in DUNC are the highliners acting more like tunnels instead of transports?

I always got the impression that the heighliners weren't stationary, that they still moved to various major planets/trade hubs/whatever from which they fold space to get a ton of ships somewhere further out. So showing them as more of a tunnel here seems to let them do that in a sensible way. I always thought you not being allowed to know who else is going through with you was sort of stupid. Like IIRC in the book they mention the Harkonnen/Sardaukar troops flying in on the same heighliner all the Atreides folks are and it's like, no one saw a whole fuckton of Harkonnen ships streaming out on the heighliner's Arrakis stop?

Them moving around themselves makes more sense to be to pull off stuff like that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

I don't even remember the formation being mentioned in the book at all, although it probably was. But no, I don't think it was addressed for the same reasons they don't provide the background for why stilgar was named that or what mechanism causes the whites of your eyes to turn blue after enough spice exposure.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Wrong, exact opposite

Oh, poo poo yeah. My bad.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Siona had prescience shielding genes. That was Leto II’s end goal, to make someone immune or outside of it, and then get them to pass those genes.

Yeah, this is why he starts getting really worried about her when they're in his desert.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whether heighliners Act as star gates or as teleporting shipping containers really doesn’t matter. The main reason for the change is just so that audiences who read the books or or familiar with the previous adaptations would perk up while watching the new one

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Whether heighliners Act as star gates or as teleporting shipping containers really doesn’t matter. The main reason for the change is just so that audiences who read the books or or familiar with the previous adaptations would perk up while watching the new one

I also think part of it is the heighliner boarding/folding space part of the Lynch movie legit absolutely fuckin' rules so by doing it this way they avoid any comparison to it completely, though it was still cowardly to not actually show a navigator's face.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It occurred to me that it’s hard to imagine how highliners struggled before navigators and spice. The book says that one in 10 space folds would fail and be lost. How does that happen when Highliners act as Stargates?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Steve Yun posted:

Also it's good to keep in mind that we're guessing based off of a really small amount of data from the film. We have the books, but those may or may not be used as a basis for the movie going forward. And we have the small number of shots of the highliners*, some of which show a weird view of a different kind/part of space in(?) the ship. We then posited that it was some kind of portal similar to a Stargate or something, cause that's a thing we're familiar with in another piece of fiction and jives with the idea of folding space. But for all we know that could just be what it looks like when you fold space and it creates weird optical illusions. Or space gets "folded" through another chunk of space that's neither the origin or the destination. Or that's Steve the Trainee Navigator's pet solar system or something.

Like, to me, personally, the jump-gate thing seems most likely to be what they're going for, but we shouldn't start pretending that we aren't just making our best guesses (for fun because the movie owns and it's enjoyable to discuss it). Even if someone stole Villeneuve's diary where he outlines his whole spiel about how they work, we wouldn't actually know because he could change it and make that explicit in a later movie. (Assuming we care about the creator's opinions, death of the author, etc.)

*That, unless I'm mistaken, we're just kind of assuming that's what they are : I don't remember a scene where someone points at one and goes, "Why yes, this is a highliner. Look at it lining highly." It's a very reasonable inference to make and it'd be weird if it wasn't true, but we're still reading between the lines even if they're pretty legible ones.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Have you considered that the blue object visible inside the DUNC liner shot is actually just a muted spicy navigator hot tub?
Some say it symbolizes their iris looking out at the infinite universe while others maintain it stands for the gigantic blue balls the Guild has.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

It occurred to me that it’s hard to imagine how highliners struggled before navigators and spice. The book says that one in 10 space folds would fail and be lost. How does that happen when Highliners act as Stargates?

Critical Existence Failure

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

I also think part of it is the heighliner boarding/folding space part of the Lynch movie legit absolutely fuckin' rules so by doing it this way they avoid any comparison to it completely, though it was still cowardly to not actually show a navigator's face.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

You're in for a wild ride. That is mostly talking. But wild!

tbh Children of Dune is the more filmable of the sequel books. It has Leto II hulking out and clowning on people with his total precognition and sandtrout skin at 500 km/h as a huge payoff. Most of Paul's limitations were a result of his internal resistance to the Golden Path and Leto II choses to embrace it because he's already a monster.

To be the Messiah is to be born a monster. You could turn aside from it, but being born this thing, your love for humanity is greater than your love for being human.

I do want to see how they handle the sandtrout stuff. Like we want to talk something that's hard to visualize without looking ridiculous but is also absolutely necessary to what happens later...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just have him look like Psycho Goreman after they merge with his skin problem solved.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the golden path is lined with hunky boys

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do want to see how they handle the sandtrout stuff. Like we want to talk something that's hard to visualize without looking ridiculous but is also absolutely necessary to what happens later...

It's ultimately body horror + superpowers + vocel pride; they'd work something out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Paul foresees the birth of Leto II. He does not foresee that Leto II will have a twin sister.
Other way around:

Dune Messiah posted:

Two children, Paul thought wonderingly. The vision had contained only a daughter.

Jo Joestar posted:

It's not much, but GEoD describes the Navigators as using 'linear prescience'. Paul and Leto's prescience shows them multiple branching futures, so that might help explain why the Guild never used their foresight as effectively.
One of the other books, I don't remember which, also hints that the Fremen achieve a limited form of prescience during spice orgies.

It's pretty clear that the Bene Gesserit was breeding the Kwizats Hadarach because of the unique ability of that person to see all of the futures, since one of the things they wanted was to avoid the stagnation of humanity - Leto II as GEoD hints at this when talking about why he took the breeding program from them.

Vincent posted:

Siona was the product of a breeding program to produce non-prescient people who were still invisible from prescence.
Only once is there any indication that she experiences prescience, which is when s he sees the possible future that the golden path is meant to guard against.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think it was precisely because his second son was born a full KH, immune to his prescience, while his first was not.
Well, Paul himself wasn't a full Kwizats Hadarach either - he was born a generation too early. He was trained as a mentat because Leto thought it would be a pretty neat idea to have a mentat Duke, which might have helped him achieve some of the abilities of the full Kwizats Hadarach.
Doesn't explain why his first son wouldn't be a full Kwizats Hadarach, though.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 9, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Do the books go more into Duncan and Gurney's relationship? In the movie at least, I was sure they were a couple.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

Do the books go more into Duncan and Gurney's relationship? In the movie at least, I was sure they were a couple.

Interesting, do they even interact in the movie?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah they're a couple... a couple of badasses. In the books though Duncan is genuinely homophobic, and is the ultimate super saiyan sexer of women

They kind of have a special bond over being two of the people with the most intense hatred of the Harkonnens in the universe, but beyond that I don't remember them having much of a vibe goin on

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Duncan is basically the younger new model of Gurney. They're both the Duke's most badass fighters (though IIRC in the book it's said Gurney cam still defeat Duncan consitently when they train?) and greatest haters of Harkonnens.

I actually found it weird how little they interact at all considering that.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Movie stuff: I got the impression that they made Gurney more of a poet than a bard/singer. When they arrive in Dune, he's reading a little book and then recites a stanza, instead of singing. The same on the tactical meeting attended by Paul after the hunter-seeker.

I know Paul says to him "sing us a song, old man" in the training scene, but that's all. No baliset, or anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vincent posted:

Movie stuff: I got the impression that they made Gurney more of a poet than a bard/singer. When they arrive in Dune, he's reading a little book and then recites a stanza, instead of singing. The same on the tactical meeting attended by Paul after the hunter-seeker.

I know Paul says to him "sing us a song, old man" in the training scene, but that's all. No baliset, or anything.

They filmed the baliset stuff and cut it apparently

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, Paul himself wasn't a full Kwizats Hadarach either - he was born a generation too early. He was trained as a mentat because Leto thought it would be a pretty neat idea to have a mentat Duke, which might have helped him achieve some of the abilities of the full Kwizats Hadarach.
I don't think that the Kwisatz Haderach works that way. There have been other "candidates" for the Kwisatz Haderach, including Count Fenring. Certain genetic traits are a prerequisite, but it's a precise combination of nature and nurture, and it doesn't require this one extremely specific genome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

This is a weird complaint when the book specifically says no one outside the guild has ever seen a Navigator and isn’t allowed to.