Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Almost finished Narcos: Mexico S3 and I have no idea why we spent so much time on the cop storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't watch a ton of animated tv shows but Netflix's League of Legends is one of the best looking animated shows I've seen. Hard to believe it's not a feature film but just a normal tv show. The mix of 2d/3d reminds me of Disney's Treasure Planet which also looked badass.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't watch a ton of animated tv shows but Netflix's League of Legends is one of the best looking animated shows I've seen. Hard to believe it's not a feature film but just a normal tv show. The mix of 2d/3d reminds me of Disney's Treasure Planet which also looked badass.

It's a style Fortiche has been working to perfect for the League-related content they've been doing for a while, and it really looks like nothing else out there. The whole production took around six years, and it's clearly Riot's first big move into turning League into a mainstream mixed media franchise, so it's got a truly phenomenal art budget on full display. I'm obviously biased as a big League person, but I'd give it a strong recommend to anyone who's into animated stuff; it's really well put together on every level and, despite being a video game adaptation, goes out of its way to keep everything comprehensible to a newcomer. If you've read a fantasy novel in the past decade, you won't have any trouble following what goes on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yo that Yellowjackets pilot was fuckin AWESOME. one of the best pilots in ages. highly recommended

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mu Zeta posted:

I almost fell out of my chair when I heard the voice of Shohreh Aghdashloo

Escobarbarian posted:

yo that Yellowjackets pilot was fuckin AWESOME. one of the best pilots in ages. highly recommended

holy poo poo this looks awesome, i hadn't heard of it

Also, the new Dexter season starts tonight. lol.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 8, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

It's a style Fortiche has been working to perfect for the League-related content they've been doing for a while, and it really looks like nothing else out there. The whole production took around six years, and it's clearly Riot's first big move into turning League into a mainstream mixed media franchise, so it's got a truly phenomenal art budget on full display. I'm obviously biased as a big League person, but I'd give it a strong recommend to anyone who's into animated stuff; it's really well put together on every level and, despite being a video game adaptation, goes out of its way to keep everything comprehensible to a newcomer. If you've read a fantasy novel in the past decade, you won't have any trouble following what goes on.

On the other hand, boycott Riot. They're the company that abuses their workers, makes light of sexual harassment, and have execs who fart in workers' faces to disrespect them and spin all that as part of their fun and unique company culture. gently caress their company, their misery-generation software, and their attempts at a franchise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

lol the live-action Bebop, Wheel of Time, and the first three eps of The Great s2 all drop on the same day (the 19th). Do these companies not want me to sleep?

The Great S1 is worth watching?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shageletic posted:

It's a fun watch if you want to watch a show where all the characters are assholes to each other.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

I hadn't heard of it but just saw the trailer and I'm intrigued.

Also, why the hell do they do mixups of popular songs for trailers? Uninvited by Alanis is great as is, hacking it up doesn't fit the trailer any better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Yes, it's very funny satire. And FWIW, I found Catherine to be fairly likeable.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
oooh! 2 new Squidbillies tonight. Will be interesting to hear Early's new voice

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, it’s really good and has great performances, especially Nicolas Hoult.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the first scene of Yellowjackets I’m seeing a punji pit that appears to be set by a school girl. OK, I’m in.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

isaboo posted:

oooh! 2 new Squidbillies tonight. Will be interesting to hear Early's new voice

For those who haven't seen, Early is now played by Tracy Morgan

The first episode hammers hard that the Cuylers and their ilk are the butt of the joke, with plenty about free speech.

Morgan settled in fine in the second episode. Hard to believe it took this long to delve into funerals, but if you follow college football, it delivered.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I loved the line in the first episode along the lines of "Yeah, it's different, squids don't talk anyways, get over it."

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

lol the live-action Bebop, Wheel of Time, and the first three eps of The Great s2 all drop on the same day (the 19th). Do these companies not want me to sleep?

TVDB says it's the first three episodes of Wheel of Time and all of The Great? Also Hellbound, from the director of Train To Busan drops the same day...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Any thoughts on Mr Mercedes? I loved the book but couldn't figure out how to watch it before it hit Peacock. I have a premium sub until the 14th so I'm trying to binge through it and... I dunno. I was way into S1 by the end but the early part of S2 felt clunky. I dunno if its just choppy first acts or if I'm just kind of forcing myself to watch something I don't dig that much because of a deadline? Anyone know if its worth powering through the remaining 15 episodes or so in the next 6 days or so?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Any thoughts on Mr Mercedes? I loved the book but couldn't figure out how to watch it before it hit Peacock. I have a premium sub until the 14th so I'm trying to binge through it and... I dunno. I was way into S1 by the end but the early part of S2 felt clunky. I dunno if its just choppy first acts or if I'm just kind of forcing myself to watch something I don't dig that much because of a deadline? Anyone know if its worth powering through the remaining 15 episodes or so in the next 6 days or so?

Season 3 is a completely different thing for the most part, and it's good.

Season 2 lost a lot of people because of the shift in genres, but tbh, I didn't mind it, and it's fairly down to earth as far as genre transitions go.

Show was very clearly banking on a fourth season payoff to all of that, though; it mostly takes it to the backburner for Season 3.

Also Breeda Wool is very loving good. In a just world, she'd be in more things.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 8, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cecily Strong did a really great bit about abortion on weekend update this week, I've watched it several times. Funny and profound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exSZQICbSb8

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Lodge 49 is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. I haven't had a good laugh-out-loud comedy since Search Party. Just uncontrollable belly laughs.

The funeral is maybe funnier than the one from Always Sunny. I don't know, I've seen the Always Sunny one so many times and it still holds up but I feel Lodge 49 has potential to maybe beat it? It's amazing.

OnlyBans fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 8, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 3 is a completely different thing for the most part, and it's good.

Season 2 lost a lot of people because of the shift in genres, but tbh, I didn't mind it, and it's fairly down to earth as far as genre transitions go.

Show was very clearly banking on a fourth season payoff to all of that, though; it mostly takes it to the backburner for Season 3.

Also Breeda Wool is very loving good. In a just world, she'd be in more things.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I really loved season 1, and season 2 didn't sit right with me, but s3 was enjoyable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Big news for Psych fans!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV37jknPuk5/

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I watched the new Dexter.
It wasn't bad!
The best part about it is that, because they're in the wintry New York (filmed in random Massachusetts locations, though,) Michael C Hall no longer has his lovely spray-on orange tan and most of the lighting outdoors has a nice "outside the Matrix" blue shade.
There are a couple moments in the episode that are "laugh when you're not supposed to" but I think they did a decent job of hitting the mark on "serious vs goofy" that was lost after season 4.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I don't listen to podcasts very often but fine, I'll try it, if you insist

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Psych must have been a blast to make because I can't think of other shows where the cast keeps coming back to make more stuff a decade later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Psych must have been a blast to make because I can't think of other shows where the cast keeps coming back to make more stuff a decade later.

The X-Files? Doctor Who? Doctor Who absolutely has to win this one tbh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh I forgot about those. I don't see Gillian Anderson starting a podcast about the X Files though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh I forgot about those. I don't see Gillian Anderson starting a podcast about the X Files though.

She's too busy having actual jobs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

She's too busy having actual jobs.

I'm sure Brian Fuller is among her annual Holiday Card recipients. :hmmyes:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

OnlyBans posted:

Lodge 49 is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. I haven't had a good laugh-out-loud comedy since Search Party. Just uncontrollable belly laughs.

The funeral is maybe funnier than the one from Always Sunny. I don't know, I've seen the Always Sunny one so many times and it still holds up but I feel Lodge 49 has potential to maybe beat it? It's amazing.
I watched the first episode of Lodge 49 tonight based solely on this post.

It was interesting and had some funny beats, but I'm not sold yet. The characters don't seem likeable enough to root for, but they're not irredeemable shits like in Always Sunny or Search Party. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alright I’m on the Invasion train. It is molasses slow but I am entertained regardless. Just something about impending, slow broiling alien doom is entertaining.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
New season of Joe Pera Talks With You is good. Reminds me that I have to rewatch it all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1457969254951755781

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I watched the first episode of Lodge 49 tonight based solely on this post.

It was interesting and had some funny beats, but I'm not sold yet. The characters don't seem likeable enough to root for, but they're not irredeemable shits like in Always Sunny or Search Party. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

It’s a very good show OP

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OnlyBans posted:

Lodge 49 is the best feel good story about a bunch of severely depressed people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This makes me unreasonably sad. Good actor, QL was so iconic as a show, and an era of actor that is just fading away.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah we really need a new good Star Trek to become become a mill for kickass character actors.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

Filming in Vancouver probably bonds the cast and crew for the shows that film there quite a bit, since they're all living out of hotels or short-term rentals and probably have no other friends or family in the area. Not sure how that situation is working in this new covid world though.

Psych was absolutely the best of the "Blue Skies" programming from that era of USA; I also enjoyed Royal Pains. I'd put Eureka into that category too but it was on syfy.

*edit* crew not screw, but it also applies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I posted more a little more in depth in the series watching thread, but I just want to post here since someone in this thread said War of the Worlds was prestige TV. I strongly disagree (I am halfway into season 2). The show is lifeless and in 2021 no show should ever handle teenagers this badly. It doesn't hold up at all to current sci-fi shows like The Expanse or For All Mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I posted more a little more in depth in the series watching thread, but I just want to post here since someone in this thread said War of the Worlds was prestige TV. I strongly disagree (I am halfway into season 2). The show is lifeless and in 2021 no show should ever handle teenagers this badly. It doesn't hold up at all to current sci-fi shows like The Expanse or For All Mankind.

It's a Howard Overman show, and they're usually a bit crap.

Misfits was good for a while though, sad he's apparently lost the ability to write convincing young people.