Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Linus (tech tips) tries Linux as desktop for the first time, doesn't pick ubuntu. Maintainers of pop os have to turn off their twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0506yDSgU7M

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wierd that the linux tech tips guy cant run linux

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Linus (tech tips) tries Linux as desktop for the first time, doesn't pick ubuntu. Maintainers of pop os have to turn off their twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cikappa2904/status/1453391401027313672

lmao that the op of this tweet thread deleted his tweets.

I have one of the tweets cached. it says

quote:

He typed “Yes, do as I say!” and continued.

it is unfortunate that Linus attempted to install POP!_OS at the same time that steam packaging was broken. if his intention was to try it like a normal user, a normal user would have asked for help at some point in this process.

3/4

I remember tweet 4/4 had a link to a bug filing on GitHub that the steam package was broken, and claiming that filing bug reports to package maintainers on GitHub is what normal users do when they run into problems installing software.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I did...

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

I think my fav thing about that was that other people thought losing everything on your computer was such a normal occurrence when using Linux they didn't think to file a bug about it when it happened to them.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i used linux for my primary os at work for 15 years. RH, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and many weird variants.

any claims that “a normal user would open a github issue on the relevant component and get the problem fixed for everyone” is a statement made by a moron who has no business declaring how any technology should work for anyone ever.

this is also exactly the kind of person who is generally in charge of major decision making for whatever their corner fiefdom of technology is in the linux component stack.

thats why i dont run linux for my primary os anymore. those people suck and im tired of their poo poo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

wow thanks for sharing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Software freedom isn't free, and that freedom won't debug itself.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Software freedom isn't free, and that freedom won't debug itself.

the tree of /usr/lib must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of packagers and maintainers

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

the tree of /usr/lib must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of packagers and maintainers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fresh_cheese posted:

thats why i dont run linux for my primary os anymore. those people suck and im tired of their poo poo.

I've been running Linux as a primary OS for like 20 years, and I fully understand that sentiment. There are a lot of annoying people, who don't understand why ordinary users are driven away by their abrasive attitudes.

Unfortunately, decent support and bug checking doesn't just materialize out of the blue, and most distros are volunteer projects. I used to love Gentoo and messing around and fixing things and manually setting everything up. Now I just stick with distros that have actual organizations behind them and face consequences if they mess things up. OpenSUSE has been very good to me in that regard, so far.

The ability to rollback to a previous snapshot if an upgrade breaks something, is something every OS should have forever. Ideally upgrades shouldn't break anything, but we don't live in a world of spherical cows in a vacuum.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I was thinking about installing Linux today. I’ll go ahead and open a GitHub bug report in advance.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

KozmoNaut posted:

OpenSUSE has been very good to me in that regard, so far.

yeah i think if i had to again id go with a suse flavour

they just seem to kinda actually care about the customer experience and making a good product as opposed to mostly being pedantic assholes.

i know some of the suse folks are in fact pedantic assholes, but they dont get to set the tone of the distro overall for some reason.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been using linux since the late 90s and never reported anything, probably 100% of the time someone's already found the issue and reported it and most i can contribute is a quick workaround if i found one

also, i've been running debian on my gamebox for over 2 months now and haven't had any real issues, aside from a self-inflicted one
i made the mistake of updating my headset+usb dongle firmware the other day and my sound stopped working correctly (pulse saw a single audio sink instead of 2, and no mic. something something switch compatibility, i don't even own a switch goddammit), and i had to patch a kernel module for the first time in like 5 years

firmware update did not fix the issue i was having either, which is that sound sometimes stops working completely if i'm on the edge of wireless range for too long. still, the usb dongle crashes less than on windows at least, and the fix is just killall pulseaudio, rather than having to close and rerun all apps with sound

but yeah, don't buy sennheiser headsets. their headphones are really good but headsets are apparently just pieces of poo poo. no wonder it was 60% off lmao

fresh_cheese posted:

yeah i think if i had to again id go with a suse flavour

i tried switching to suse but i've been using debian for like 15 years now i'm so debian brained i always type apt instead of dnf 3 times every time lol

doesn't help that work is also a debian shop

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

wierd that the linux tech tips guy cant run linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this is the guy that managed to build a wholly unsupported nested raid with all the redundancy of raid 0, completely by accident. even if he had chosen ubuntu he would have found a way to blow his own dick off

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

infernal machines posted:

this is the guy that managed to build a wholly unsupported nested raid with all the redundancy of raid 0, completely by accident. even if he had chosen ubuntu he would have found a way to blow his own dick off

nobody takes him seriously though, right? its his schtick to implement technology in the most roundabout fashion possible and then watch proudly as it delivers 20% of what its really capable of.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
honestly, i have no idea if that's his shtick or not because a lot of places seem to take him seriously, maybe it's just a joke i'm not in on, idk.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Linus is the closest the youth of today has to a leo laporte or a Jerry Pournelle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Faith For Two posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cikappa2904/status/1453391401027313672

lmao that the op of this tweet thread deleted his tweets.

I have one of the tweets cached. it says

I remember tweet 4/4 had a link to a bug filing on GitHub that the steam package was broken, and claiming that filing bug reports to package maintainers on GitHub is what normal users do when they run into problems installing software.

the follow up tweet ids basically the old thread title

https://twitter.com/cikappa2904/status/1453392127765983239

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Linus is the closest the youth of today has to a leo laporte or a Jerry Pournelle.

he is very chaos manner, yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

afaik pop_os is ubuntu as far as things like drivers go, so that aspect is not very significant. plus of course this thread would ridicule him for using ubuntu instead if that was he was using, in proud linux tradition

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

he/they do decent reviews most of the time, but the edutainment stuff is, well, exactly that

it's not terrible edutainment as far as youtube goes

e: I haven't watched the linux thing yet though

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 10, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i feel pretty vindicated in believing that despite having used freebsd for over two decades, i still can't recommend either freebsd or linux to someone who isn't a power-user with a lot of time on their hands

also, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who equates linus not reading the warnings with the people who just press ok to every error that pops up on windows - which is not to blame linus or anyone who does it, but more to acknowledge that errors like that don't help if people just conclude that it's okay to accept them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Private Speech posted:

he/they do decent reviews most of the time, but the edutainment stuff is, well, exactly that

it's not terrible edutainment as far as youtube goes

e: I haven't watched the linux thing yet though

was breaking the imac pro because he didn't understand how to open it a review or edutainment?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i feel pretty vindicated in believing that despite having used freebsd for over two decades, i still can't recommend either freebsd or linux to someone who isn't a power-user with a lot of time on their hands

also, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who equates linus not reading the warnings with the people who just press ok to every error that pops up on windows - which is not to blame linus or anyone who does it, but more to acknowledge that errors like that don't help if people just conclude that it's okay to accept them

this is how you get windows updates that don't take no for an answer unless you pay $300 to say no (on the assumption that you have a corporate it department to handle windows update scheduling)

it's a problem with no easy solution

people who mindlessly blast through warning screens are the same people who go "why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let nature sort the idiots out! get a brain! morans!"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

was breaking the imac pro because he didn't understand how to open it a review or edutainment?

it was supposed to be review but they made it into edutainment about "apple not allowing spare parts sales"

also it wasn't him but one of his employees and he shorted out the psu when putting it back together rather than taking it apart IIRC (it's a computer-in-a-display kind of thing)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
everything gui related on Linux is a broken fragmented mess that will never work right for normal people

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good, keep the normies out of my system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

linux is basically an evolutionary adaptation, like stripes on a hornet. everything about it tells you not to touch it because it is very unfriendly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

everything gui related on Linux is a broken fragmented mess that will never work right for normal people

I think in this specific case the package was broken and the error in the ui was straight from the terminal. the error doesn’t make sense because it’s arcane linux poo poo about the package trying to remove critical packages during installation. he ran the same command in the terminal as the package manager UI, but told it to ignore the error which is not an option in the UI. this removed the packages which apparently included the entire desktop environment lol. that's what I gathered from the video at least.

it's very much an authentic linux experience

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 10, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk gui stuff works about as well as any other operating system these days. the only real problem is that it is a huge pain to get hardware accelerated video going in mpv and firefox, but that's primarily a legal problem and not a technical one.

though it's still an odd situation, i mean, the actual video decoding is being done by my gpu, and amd has paid for the relevant patent licenses as part of my gpu's sticker price. why is the libva build which facilitates that process still considered encumbered by red hat? are red hat going to make a special build of curl that refuses to download files with a media type of video/mp4 next? the only time when video codec patents should be relevant any more is software encoding using x264 or x265.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

good, keep the normies out of my system

mystes
May 31, 2006

linux is basically an evolutionary adaptation, like stripes on a hornet. everything about it tells you not to touch it because it is very unfriendly
Huh when you out it like that maybe I should start admitting to people that I use Linux again

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Kubuntu's pretty decent if you've got hardware that's all been mainlined. I bought an ice lake laptop with my covid stay the gently caress inside money. Installed right away, absolutely everything worked, and the gaming experience is very superior to trying to use the windows Iris Xe drivers.

Shaggar posted:

it's very much an authentic linux experience

The price of freedom, thank you very much.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is as always a bigger problem that linux offers little (or nothing) actually better than e.g. windows to "normal" people, many would overlook some small issues if they got something substantial in exchange, and there is very little on offer ever since like xp sp2 got windows to a state of decent security and stability.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The price of freedom, thank you very much.
The price of Freedom is a lack of freedom.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there is very little on offer ever since like xp sp2 got windows to a state of decent security and stability.
lol, lmao even

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it is as always a bigger problem that linux offers little (or nothing) actually better than e.g. windows to "normal" people, many would overlook some small issues if they got something substantial in exchange, and there is very little on offer ever since like xp sp2 got windows to a state of decent security and stability.

by 'security' you mean "won't be compromised with 900 viruses within 30 seconds of connecting it to the internet". even then, within 10 minutes of grandma using it, it still wound up with 40 "browser enhancements" and nonstop scam popups

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
does Ubuntu still have Amazon malware in it?

I know, they only hosed one goat, but still, I have to ask.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

it's free ! ! !!!!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my aunt has been using ubuntu for 12+ (idk) years, she is not technically inclined and its been fine, even with libreoffice mail label printing connecting to the libreoffice database thing (spreadsheet -> database -> word processer for mail merges to print), and getting things like printers working was really easy, literally just "plug it in", i enjoyed her teasing her husband about trouble printing on his windows laptop, like "i just plugged it in and it printed, what are you doing wrong"

i built her a computer in undergrad as a gift and didnt have a spare windows license (broke undergrad, spent all the money on hardware) so i put ubuntu on it, figured i would install windows as soon as i could like the next month or so, but she refused, :shrug:

that computer died (video hardware acting up) and i bought her a new one earlier this year, came with windows 10 of course, had it delivered directly to her house, it took a few days for me to visit (hour+ drive) and i figured the result of that trip would be copying her photos/documents to that windows installation, but she specifically asked me to install ubuntu on the new computer since windows seemed weird and wrong

most of her computer usage is chorme/firefox and then some word processing for which libreoffice has been great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lysidas posted:

my aunt has been using ubuntu for 12+ (idk) years, she is not technically inclined and its been fine, even with libreoffice mail label printing connecting to the libreoffice database thing (spreadsheet -> database -> word processer for mail merges to print), and getting things like printers working was really easy, literally just "plug it in", i enjoyed her teasing her husband about trouble printing on his windows laptop, like "i just plugged it in and it printed, what are you doing wrong"

i built her a computer in undergrad as a gift and didnt have a spare windows license (broke undergrad, spent all the money on hardware) so i put ubuntu on it, figured i would install windows as soon as i could like the next month or so, but she refused, :shrug:

that computer died (video hardware acting up) and i bought her a new one earlier this year, came with windows 10 of course, had it delivered directly to her house, it took a few days for me to visit (hour+ drive) and i figured the result of that trip would be copying her photos/documents to that windows installation, but she specifically asked me to install ubuntu on the new computer since windows seemed weird and wrong

most of her computer usage is chorme/firefox and then some word processing for which libreoffice has been great
I think for someone who knows nothing about computers and can't fix anything without help there is really no difference.

If you install something like xfce the ui will also change less than windows between versions.

It's really the people who have learned a little bit about windows with great difficulty who will have problems with linux.