Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Showtime has another winning show with Yellowjackets

Holy poo poo

Synopsis

quote:

This equal parts survival epic, psychological horror story and coming-of-age drama tells the saga of a team of wildly talented high school girls soccer players who become the (un)lucky survivors of a plane crash deep in the remote northern wilderness. The series chronicles their descent from a complicated but thriving team to savage clans, while also tracking the lives they’ve attempted to piece back together nearly 25 years later.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is Yellowjackets supposed to be the genderswapped Lord of the Flies remake they announced a while back which caused a huge internet slap fight over whether or not girls would follow the same path or not?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Is Yellowjackets supposed to be the genderswapped Lord of the Flies remake they announced a while back which caused a huge internet slap fight over whether or not girls would follow the same path or not?

Nope, it was this one

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/amazon-s-wilds-much-more-just-gender-swapped-lord-flies-ncna1250078

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 9, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Showtime has another winning show with Yellowjackets

Holy poo poo

Synopsis

drat that is a good cast. I have loved Melanie Lynskey since Heavenly Creatures (I have no idea what happen to the other main actress. I guess she quit acting) and I am always down to check her work out. Adding it to the list.

We are going from nothing to watch, to almost too much to watch again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's creepy as hell too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

drat that is a good cast. I have loved Melanie Lynskey since Heavenly Creatures (I have no idea what happen to the other main actress. I guess she quit acting) and I am always down to check her work out. Adding it to the list.

Lynskey is amazing in that film and I'm always into seeing her in stuff because of it, so seeing her turn up in Yellowjackets was a great surprise. I didn't see the cast list at all beforehand, so I was marking out every 10 minutes or so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Showtime has its own streaming platform or is it a part of another one

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Yeah really strong cast they've managed to string together.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So the blenderpitch is What If Alive and Lord of the Flies had a baby?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

Showtime has its own streaming platform or is it a part of another one

I don't know if they have an app or anything, but you can stream on their website. It's slightly better than paramount+.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Showtime does have it's own app just like any other platform and depending on device their originals are 4k Dolby Vision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y’all know multiple people had mentioned Yellowjackets in this thread already right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lynskey is amazing in that film and I'm always into seeing her in stuff because of it, so seeing her turn up in Yellowjackets was a great surprise. I didn't see the cast list at all beforehand, so I was marking out every 10 minutes or so.

She has a small role but Shattered Glass is one of my favorite journalism movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I’ll have to check that one out. It got past me, but sounds like my jam. Thanks!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shattered Glass is really good. It and Life as a House are proof that Hayden Christensen actually can act when given the chance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not impressed with this latest season of AFV

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sorry to hear that, I love Dean Stockwell. Such a unique cool actor. So good in Blue Velvet too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1458197054572871681

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

WhiteHowler posted:

I watched the first episode of Lodge 49 tonight based solely on this post.

It was interesting and had some funny beats, but I'm not sold yet. The characters don't seem likeable enough to root for, but they're not irredeemable shits like in Always Sunny or Search Party. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

I thought the same, wait for the funeral. That is where it *clicked* for me. Like so many mysteries, all of a sudden I was standing over the maze and could see everything. And it is hilarious.

Everything before that is build-up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I watched the first episode of Lodge 49 tonight based solely on this post.

It was interesting and had some funny beats, but I'm not sold yet. The characters don't seem likeable enough to root for, but they're not irredeemable shits like in Always Sunny or Search Party. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

I'm not sure what that last guy was on about, I barely see Lodge 49 as a comedy, let alone one full of belly laughs.

With that said, the show is really good.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yellowstone came back this week with a bang. That opening episode was insane.

Fun show!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sheridan, Mayor of Kingstown starts this week.

The Shrink Next Door appears to be starting tomorrow as well.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 is a great show, in which absolutely nothing happens, yet somehow there is tremendous character development.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This week's episode of Chucky (not really a spoiler) has Fiona Durrif dragged up playing her dad in a flashback and it's loving awesome. This show is awesome.

Watch Chucky.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat Big Mouth fuckin went for it with the season 5 finale. Good season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Having crushed the film unions, they jump into an even less unionized industry.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The new Dexter was fine, but it really wasn't that good either. The whole episode just felt dated in everyway possible. How many fake-outs is an episode of TV allowed? Also a big drop in quality when it comes to the supporting cast. To be honest despite what nostalgia tells us, Dexter was never great TV anyway. Yes it was fun and it was great to see Michael Hall as Dexter after him playing David Fisher for so long. I know season 4 is suppose to be peak Dexter (which I did enjoy overall), but for me the show peaked in season 2 with Doakes and Lila. If this was a new series I would drop it after that episode (of course I will keep watching it). Also that was some really bad CGI for that deer.

Looten Plunder posted:

Yellowstone came back this week with a bang. That opening episode was insane.

Fun show!

The first 5 or so minutes were just insane. Lets hit the ground a 100 miles an hour. Part of me still feels like I need to point out what is wrong with the show, but I have a great time watching it. It is Dallas on steroids and it does that well. The biggest negative is how stupid the streaming rights to it are. One would think that Paramount's most popular show would be on Paramount+, but of course that is a big no. I guess Peacock has a streaming rights deal for the show, but they can't stream it until like 4 months after the season finale. I ended up buying the season pass on iTunes since I don't have cable (which I guess speaks to how much I enjoy the show) .

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

The new Dexter was fine, but it really wasn't that good either. The whole episode just felt dated in everyway possible. How many fake-outs is an episode of TV allowed? Also a big drop in quality when it comes to the supporting cast.

I was trying to work out what all the fake outs were reminding me of, and it's Michael C Hall's plot from wayyy back in the Six Feet Under pilot. (Or second episode, I can't remember which). Really weird coincidence.

Re: supporting cast, Clancy Brown is joining the cast this season, and he's an excellent dramatic actor. And Johnny Sequoia is no slouch either, even if she hasn't had much work since her child acting days. They're both great actors.

100% think she's the killer tho.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Open Source Idiom posted:

This week's episode of Chucky (not really a spoiler) has Fiona Durrif dragged up playing her dad in a flashback and it's loving awesome. This show is awesome.

Watch Chucky.

I actually thought that's who that was under there, she really does favor her dad enough to get away with it, plus they dubbed in Brad Dourif's voice so I figured something was up.

And yeah, not enough people talking about Chucky, but it's really a show meant specifically for longtime fans of the franchise who've seen every movie multiple times. And there's only dozens of us. DOZENS!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno, I haven't seen the most recent episode yet but I do think they've done a good job making Chucky stand alone so far. Like you kinda gotta know who Chucky is and there's lots of little nods and mentions but its not bombarding you with other characters and mythos. Its a new story so far.

Like I wanted to see a continuation of the crazy of the movies. But instead I've gotten a pretty good new show that stands on its own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

drat Big Mouth fuckin went for it with the season 5 finale. Good season.

I’m at the Christmas one and worried because it’s screaming gimmick episode I won’t enjoy. I’m glad they didn’t gimmick the finale at least.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno, I haven't seen the most recent episode yet but I do think they've done a good job making Chucky stand alone so far.

I mean, the most recent episode has an exposition dump for people who don't know any more than "Chucky is a possessed killer doll", so you might have a point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nate fisher posted:

The new Dexter was fine, but it really wasn't that good either. The whole episode just felt dated in everyway possible. How many fake-outs is an episode of TV allowed? Also a big drop in quality when it comes to the supporting cast. To be honest despite what nostalgia tells us, Dexter was never great TV anyway. Yes it was fun and it was great to see Michael Hall as Dexter after him playing David Fisher for so long. I know season 4 is suppose to be peak Dexter (which I did enjoy overall), but for me the show peaked in season 2 with Doakes and Lila. If this was a new series I would drop it after that episode (of course I will keep watching it). Also that was some really bad CGI for that deer.

I don't think anyone thinks Dexter was Great TV anymore or even before it finished airing. It had a moment when "everyone" was watching it, but even at its "peaks" there were tons of people vocally voicing how loving bad it was start to finish. I mean, I watched the show with friends around some film major roommates who couldn't even make it through the show's intro without getting so pissed off at it's shittiness perceivable through their lens. Even the people who stuck with Dexter all the way through know it as pure poo poo with a few bits of delicious corn here and there. People actively warn each other off of re-watches. The only show that once enjoyed mainstream popularity that is now a fair public target for mockery is Game of Thrones, and by percentage GoT still has more hours of "good" than Dexter.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Oh I know some people who think the first 4 season of Dexter were great. I haven't watched any Dexter since it originally aired (I did stick with it), but it was always B level entertainment to me. GoT? After everything I still consider it a really good TV show. It did something shows like Dexter never did, it was put together seasons that I would consider as a whole as great TV. Yes some lovely seasons later on and the last season was a mess, but it reached highs that a lot series never come close to. I know some people haven't moved on (the Daenerys fans especially) , but I am to the point I can look back at it fondly if I consider the show as whole. LOST was another show that became a public target for mockery after the finale, but I feel like with time that has really died down. It is because LOST was great overall and the finale really wasn't bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Great TV has a good beginning, middle, and end. A bad ending can mean never wanting to ever revisit that world or show again and GoT is the worst ending to anything. That's remarkable in it's own right, but the positive memories I have of GoT at this point were how fun it was to have an "event" where we'd regularly gather at someone's house to watch a show together. Then the show got so bad it wasn't a good excuse to hang out anymore.

LOST I feel like only comes up when people are annoyed at a new show for setting up a bunch of potentially interesting or baffling things that won't ever be resolved in nearly as intriguing way as you imagined. But I didn't watch LOST outside most of the first season because it was boring and sucked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m at the Christmas one and worried because it’s screaming gimmick episode I won’t enjoy. I’m glad they didn’t gimmick the finale at least.

There is one gimmick thing in the finale but I think they pulled it off very well. Christmas episode was probably my least favourite but there’s still good stuff in there. I think this was probably my favourite season since 2.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/AmazingRaceCBS/status/1458471044801437697?t=VpSFJT74L98EpH7Eb1gWMQ&s=19

This season is gonna be so weird it'll rule.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I started watching the Lethal Weapon TV show, since it just showed up here on Primevideo. Eventually I noticed on IMDB that the two main characters have quite a different amount of episodes credited to them. I went to google around some. Sure seemed like a huge shitshow behind the scenes. I guess there's no need to keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are you enjoying it? Might as well keep watching.