Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

vandalism posted:

Irrevocably broken? Nope.

Broken beyond the scope of AGS'S skills, ability, timeline, and level of effort to fix? I believe so. I hope that I am wrong, though. :)

looking forward to the thirty minute video essays five years from now on how its actually a good game then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Robo Reagan posted:

looking forward to the thirty minute video essays five years from now on how its actually a good game then

I look forward to "Death of a game". In six months or so.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Honestly their very first real patch is addressing a lot of the major complaints about the game, I think a lot of the stuff about duping etc is transient and feels like a big deal now but will burn out and be forgettable soon. The server pops are a bigger question but I’m not feeling that issue on my server so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah 2.5 weeks ago it was bad bad, this week it seems more optimistic.

Might take a bit to unfuck economy / server pop stuff but the openly mentioned additions and fixes all sound good and the most recent patch managed to fix things without largely breaking new things which was mandatory for them to start getting better.

Long way to go and all but its feeling good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

RagnarokZ posted:

I look forward to "Death of a game". In six months or so.

watch the crucible one for a bit of a preview

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
its pretty fuckin hard to kill an mmo. everquest is still alive. vanguard was down to literally zero players before they even talked about shutting it down. atlas is not only alive but hiring new devs.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I miss vanguard :( what a heaping poo poo that game was when it launched. It ran so bad I didn't even bother playing more than a couple hours til years later.

When the patch released I said I'd be optimistic if it didn't introduce a ton of bugs, and it really has not. It's definitely been a solid step in the right direction and I'm looking to seeing what else they come up with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1458566728682717186

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, sitting in queue right now. 150 ahead of me. Chose the level 60 path. Path choice is level 3, 16, and 60.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, so you guys were right about healing. At least with void gauntlet. There is text specifically saying it scales on focus only for all the heal skills. Of which, there is three. However, they are all mostly tied up in self improvement than group improvement. More akin to hatchet heal I guess.

This data mine from a few weeks ago seems to be accurate in the skills and description:

https://sirusgaming.com/new-world-void-gauntlet-skill-trees-and-abilities/

Edit: Oh wow, "blocking" with void gauntlet isn't a block. You start consuming health for mana as a channeling ability.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 11, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Robo Reagan posted:

Was it a good game then? No. Is it a good game now? Also no. I'm kidding I actually enjoy a lot of it just basically what that one long post said

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

gonna be a pretty big patch. ptr been up for an hour and theres easily hundreds of changes

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

gonna be a pretty big patch. ptr been up for an hour and theres easily hundreds of changes

Yeah, I only got as far as looking at the information, but definitely will have to look at it more once I get off work. But I'm sure testing info will start to come out soon. Particularly with regards to void gauntlet. I didn't get a chance to see the new enemies even, was too busy looking at my stats and figuring out the best approach for stats on the gauntlet as you will need both foc and int. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the blade form skill isn't a permanent switch. Even though we know they can do state changes due to shooter's stance. The void blade only works for around 10s with a 20s cooldown. So it'll still be ranged type combat similar to ice gauntlet (in fact, you throw bolts using the same animation just with a barely visible purple smoke projectile compared to the while ball for ice gaunt. What I haven't tried is block in combat, but in testing out of combat, block eats health and gives back mana. So blocking seems to be an unwise idea to do in combat.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ad by Khad posted:

its pretty fuckin hard to kill an mmo. everquest is still alive. vanguard was down to literally zero players before they even talked about shutting it down. atlas is not only alive but hiring new devs.

there are a billion dead mmos my dude

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wildstar. What a hot wet fart that was

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Roads give like a 15% speed buff now

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shadowbane was cool at the time.

But then we all just joined 187 and destroyed all the towns through sheer numbers. PVP and Capitalism are definitely 1=1

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there are a billion dead mmos my dude

There are also an equal amount of might as well be dead mmos. Games like Champions Online which have tiny populations but also tiny costs entirely funded by a handful of whales.

Funcom is still pumping the corpse of Secret World and even did a relaunch several years ago with no real plans or resources to create new content.

I think the bar should not be “dead” but a stable and/or growing playerbase of more than 10k concurrent or daily players. That’s a low bar and lots of games do not clear it.

Examples by those numbers:
BDO & ESO - Alive
Crowfall and Albion - Dying
STO - Whale Life Support

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 11, 2021

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

FrostyPox posted:

The best PvP in New World is in this thread

we won royllo by using pvp faction chat

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Lawlicaust posted:

There are also an equal amount of might as well be dead mmos. Games like Champions Online which have tiny populations but also tiny costs entirely funded by a handful of whales.

Funcom is still pumping the corpse of Secret World and even did a relaunch several years ago with no real plans or resources to create new content.

I think the bar should not be “dead” but a stable and/or growing playerbase of more than 10k concurrent or daily players. That’s a low bar and lots of games do not clear it.

BDO & ESO - Alive
STO - Whale Life Support

Going by player numbers doesn’t really make sense for the conclusions you’re making. A game only needs enough players to allow its gameplay systems to work and fund the studio making it. A good MMO with a smaller budget, studio, and player base that’s pumping out good updates is not a dying MMO.

I see this argument a lot for Crowfall and the gameplay itself is not dying, there are enough players to enjoy the game for what it’s for and more players would only mean more servers doing the same thing. Whether it’s bringing in enough money to fund the studio is what determines if it’s dying/dead, not some arbitrary player count.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

BDO & ESO - Alive
STO - Whale Life Support

I'm pretty sure Albion is continually growing it's.playerbase and has had a major increase in players since launching mobile.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
In with Wildstar b4-

Protocol7 posted:

Wildstar. What a hot wet fart that was
fake edit- Wellp. I really did enjoy the combat in that game though, shame is had zero endgame :smith:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

if you have to move the "bar" and get weird with the goalposts then the whole argument falls apart

secret world has had 10+ hour dungeon queues for years because of how few players it has but it still counts as alive

atlas doesnt hit the 10k daily player mark and it is in absolutely no danger of shutting down, its getting more content patches than ever

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ort posted:

Going by player numbers doesn’t really make sense for the conclusions you’re making. A game only needs enough players to allow its gameplay systems to work and fund the studio making it.

This is why New World needs server merges sooner rather than later. Our server has huge issues getting outpost rush to start and to get enough people to sign up to invasions. Wars are still ok most of the time, but cutting it close. So content at 60 is very limited, sure you are guaranteed a spot for the invasions but if you lose them all the time where is the fun in that. Which results in more people leaving etc etc.

So the overall player numbers still look reasonable, but the situation on a lot of servers is pretty bad.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Looks like they buff/nerfed life staff skills on the ptr as well. Someone on reddit did a write up along with some info on void gauntlet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/qr836q/ptr_changes_to_support_spoilers_inside/

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

if you have to move the "bar" and get weird with the goalposts then the whole argument falls apart

secret world has had 10+ hour dungeon queues for years because of how few players it has but it still counts as alive

atlas doesnt hit the 10k daily player mark and it is in absolutely no danger of shutting down, its getting more content patches than ever

Are these buy to play games or subscription ones

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

2 of the 12 games mentioned by everyone on this page are (were) subscription-based

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

vandalism posted:

Irrevocably broken? Nope.

Broken beyond the scope of AGS'S skills, ability, timeline, and level of effort to fix? I believe so. I hope that I am wrong, though. :)

Never heard early MWO described so well either. New World has the exact same feel of "slapped together with whatever skills (or lack) were available". Being Crytek cousins in some way or another is probably telling as well.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

2 of the 12 games mentioned by everyone on this page are (were) subscription-based

OK but the games you're saying are still alive, are they subscription based

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

no

of the 12 games, the only one that required a subscription was wildstar

vanguard and shadowbane are the two other dead ones, both were originally subscription-based but dropped that later on

edit: though to be fair shadowbane is no longer dead, you can buy it on steam right now it's run by some chinese company

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the person a few posts above is the most correct here, new world needs server merges right the heck now because the initial rush of players is gone and the extra servers they had to open have too few players for the intended game systems to function properly.

new world is designed on purpose around servers having large communities and many of them don't and the gameplay is suffering for it

we can go back and forth about other games if you want but a lot of those games aren't designed to require large communities in the same way and so the gameplay isn't hurt, the way it is on many nw servers right now

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I bet they are going to put it on sale for xmas and wait until after for merges

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Didn't wildstar also go ftp right before it closed?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

no

of the 12 games, the only one that required a subscription was wildstar

vanguard and shadowbane are the two other dead ones, both were originally subscription-based but dropped that later on

edit: though to be fair shadowbane is no longer dead, you can buy it on steam right now it's run by some chinese company

ok thank you, it wasn't a gotcha, I don't know much about these other MMOs. My hunch is that unless New World brings in funds from existing players via a much expanded ingame shop, it'll get canned. No-one keeps games alive out of the goodness of their hearts if they cost money to run.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I agree with that

I do see a lot of people with the cash shop skins, I think they do pull a decent amount from it

That will definitely need to continue for the game to keep going, agreed. Also eventually when server transfers cost money that'll be a revenue stream for them

I personally don't like the cash shop because of its gotcha where the mono-pigment dyes are only obtainable from there, and not craftable in-game anymore. But the $ outfits can't be dyed anyway so a lotta people didn't notice

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The biggest fail so far in NW (and this is saying a lot, I know) is that the cash shop skins are loving dumpster tier. It's like the art department people were trolling with those designs. They are orders of magnitude worse than the generic plate and leather armors you find off zombies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That I can not copy skins from armor I already found or unlock them someway is the biggest problem.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The biggest fail so far in NW (and this is saying a lot, I know) is that the cash shop skins are loving dumpster tier. It's like the art department people were trolling with those designs. They are orders of magnitude worse than the generic plate and leather armors you find off zombies.

:hmmyes:

My favorite is the Mr Skeltal mask that looks awesome in the shop but then as soon as you put it on its very much a lol and lmao

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i think a caravan system would be a nice addition - you can buy a defended caravan to get you from point a to point b unharmed, however, you can also forego the defender fee and make it a pvp mission with some boon and no cost. if your caravan is raided in pvp the attacking players get a small portion of your loot and you take durability damage to the inventory? i'm not sure what would be best but something like this for transferring inventory to cities would be kind of cool and would ease some of the calls for mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This game is doing just fine because people are arguing about Fauci and politics in global chat. The truest indicator of MMO success.