Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
The Quiznos Heartattack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

Torquemada posted:

That’s the Orange Catholic Bible mentioned extensively in the novel, he quotes from it regularly.

Ya, Gurney seems like the spiritual core of the Atreides in this iteration. This could be him just being poetic:

"My lungs taste the air of Time,
Blown past falling sand ..."

Could be a line out of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

But this feels way more biblical:

"They shall suck of the abundance of the seas,
and the treasure hid in the sand."

And then we also have a shot of worshipers using little books similar to Gurney's:

It's a neat direction to go, and I hope it comes to something in the following movie. He bumps hard off of Stilgar when they first meet, but he seems like the kind of guy that would be downright fanatical once "converted". Or ... that would actually try to take Paul down if he thought he'd fallen too far to be saved.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
This just lines up perfectly, including the bowl dipping sound in the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT0liQFO6oQ

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That is loving art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love these dune memes

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Ok, I learned in this thread the Fremen are bribing the guild to keep satellites from spying on them. Why wouldn't the guild spy on them themselves, given that the planet is the source of their power? I'd keep an eye on it at all times. I would imagine they wouldn't take well to showing up one day and going, "Oh, look, a cool terraforming project, huh."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/bonerwizard/status/1458303484508340225?s=21

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Georgia Peach posted:

Ok, I learned in this thread the Fremen are bribing the guild to keep satellites from spying on them. Why wouldn't the guild spy on them themselves, given that the planet is the source of their power? I'd keep an eye on it at all times. I would imagine they wouldn't take well to showing up one day and going, "Oh, look, a cool terraforming project, huh."

This is explicitly explained in the book appendix so: the Guild use their limited prescience to look at Arrakis but everything they see tells them that taking any action at all there causes a nexus of uncertain events, most of which lead to spice production ending. This terrifies them so they don't do anything.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Alchenar posted:

This is explicitly explained in the book appendix so: the Guild use their limited prescience to look at Arrakis but everything they see tells them that taking any action at all there causes a nexus of uncertain events, most of which lead to spice production ending. This terrifies them so they don't do anything.

If that's the case, isn't transporting massive armies to Arrakis taking action? Why not just tell Emperor Paddy to chill out with the schemes and just keep the spice coming? Maybe I should just read the book.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Georgia Peach posted:

If that's the case, isn't transporting massive armies to Arrakis taking action? Why not just tell Emperor Paddy to chill out with the schemes and just keep the spice coming? Maybe I should just read the book.

You can't just hide your anti-Irish racism in spoilers :argh:

It's a good book tho

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Georgia Peach posted:

There's another appendix to the book written as a post-hoc investigative report where Herbert does a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgment of a bunch of stuff that doesn't quite make sense in the story (or rather, where you just have to accept that things go one way and not another) with 'it's all a greater conspiracy!'

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the bagpipes. It spoke to my Scot DNA.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I liked em too, it was cool to hear something besides Amazing Grace or Scotland the Brave on bagpipes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The book starts out pretty good, but after my second read through noticed a massive drop in quality in the writing after Paul drinks the water of life. The entire ending is hurried, overstated and clumsy, even barely comprehensible in places.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Or it's diegetic to Paul doing massive quantities of psychotropics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It does get a little choppy especially with how the Fremen go from being damned good fighters to like "a small regiment of Sardaukar tried to take whatever sietch but a handful of Fremen children turbo-murdered 300 of them with no losses and took a 40 of them prisoner" and stuff.

Will they show the Fremen war drums made from the skins of Harkonnens?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Georgia Peach posted:

I feel like the actual answer is "satellites had been invented when dune was written but not enough anyone was thinking about them in terms modern audiences do"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the actual answer is "satellites had been invented when dune was written but not enough anyone was thinking about them in terms modern audiences do"

Yea I'm reminded of a movie like Enemy of the State where the big thing was "oh poo poo, you mean there are satellites that the government can use to spy on our every move?!?!?", and of course satellites had been a thing for 30+ years at that point but people didn't really think about their capabilities and the potential of what they could do.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Torquemada posted:

The book starts out pretty good, but after my second read through noticed a massive drop in quality in the writing after Paul drinks the water of life. The entire ending is hurried, overstated and clumsy, even barely comprehensible in places.

I mean it's kind of hard to show a two year guerilla war that results in the emperor showing up just in time to lose the last city on Arrakis. This is why it was just a montage in the Lynch film.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lynch's version kind of mirror's the end of the book... you can almost hear Lynch himself saying "And so on and so on and so on, you get it, we all get it" to the montage of Fremen armies doing Fremen poo poo.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm reminded of a movie like Enemy of the State where the big thing was "oh poo poo, you mean there are satellites that the government can use to spy on our every move?!?!?", and of course satellites had been a thing for 30+ years at that point but people didn't really think about their capabilities and the potential of what they could do.

In fairness, the capabilities of satellites as depicted in that movie are physically impossible.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
bro there's tictacs flying through international space, anything's possible

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eason the Fifth posted:

bro there's tictacs flying through international space, anything's possible

You can't get around, eg, minimum sizes of lenses

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain von Trapp posted:

In fairness, the capabilities of satellites as depicted in that movie are physically impossible.
As far as you know :tinfoil:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
After letting it simmer since dropping and rewatching a few others, I’m pretty set on this being my least favorite Villenueve film. Somehow it’s the blandest thing he’s made.

It doesn’t help that I watched The Green Knight soon after which is mesmerizing in comparison.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I actually blame Enemy of the State for a lot of the insane paranoia I've seen in regards to government technological capability

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Torquemada posted:

You get the impression Frank was getting tired of writing the serial by that point and just wanted it done. He may also have been doing more drugs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Theres an entire act full of swerves and character deaths cramped into the last chapter alone. The book easily needed another 100 pages.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Theres an entire act full of swerves and character deaths cramped into the last chapter alone. The book easily needed another 100 pages.

I think it is a right of passage to experience the whiplash of "Wait, what? That's it?" on how abrupt the ending is.

At least it doesn't NEED another 150 pages like most Neil Stephenson books though. That's an author that you can tell is just like 'gently caress this, I am done" only 80% into most of his stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ALFbrot posted:

I actually blame Enemy of the State for a lot of the insane paranoia I've seen in regards to government technological capability

and then the orange man tweeted a photo that was supposed to be impossible so :iiam:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

jeeves posted:

At least it doesn't NEED another 150 pages like most Neil Stephenson books though. That's an author that you can tell is just like 'gently caress this, I am done" only 80% into most of his stuff.

Oh man, I just finished "Fall: or Dodge in Hell" and was tremendously irritated at the whole thing. I've read eight of his previous novels and liked every one of them, even if the endings tend to fall apart a bit on some of them. Fall was terrible from start to finish. Among other structural and plotting problems, early in the book (not even at the end!) there's an embedded hundred-fifty-page political satire subplot that not only flatly contradicts the rest of the setting, it literally does not affect any of the subsequent plot in the slightest and is never mentioned again.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

This is turgid as hell, I basically ended up skimming the rest because it was so bad. Maybe another few hundred pages could have saved it, because the pace is certainly off relative to the rest of the book.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Once Paul embraces his role, the tone and pacing shift drastically all the way through Dune Messiah. It starts jumping around in kind of confusing ways, but I think this is used to emphasize that Paul is now losing himself to the current of this action hero narrative. We're kinda thinking "wait, they're suddenly blowing up the wall... He's already emperor wtf?" And then there's an even more massive skip throwing you into the deep end in Messiah. It worked really well for me when they finally do the big rug-pull moment in Messiah where Paul explains very literally that he has become Worse Than Hitler by a huge margin.

And it's not that you can't see any reveal like that coming at all, I just thought it was a fun way to play with our desire to see the hero story go well while leaving so much unsaid that we start gradually getting less comfortable with what's going on.

I dunno I don't find that excerpt to be particularly bad, but I do remember feeling that things were suddenly changing in very odd ways at that point in the book.

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 11, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maud’ Dib is my favorite invader Zim character

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I really like how the end of Dune is structured. Paul takes a nice long nap while everything else falls into place and then wakes up to have his climactic showdown. As Martman points out, once Paul gives himself over to his "terrible purpose", it's just a matter of letting all the familiar beats play out.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any theories what happened to Jamis to make him so grumpy that day?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He was high and wired. Too much coffee.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Halloween Jack posted:

He was high and wired. Too much coffee.

Someone spit in it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spice latte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bedshaped posted:

Does anyone have any theories what happened to Jamis to make him so grumpy that day?

Sometimes your stillsuit lets a little of your pee/sweat/jizz into your drinking water