Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

There is one gimmick thing in the finale but I think they pulled it off very well. Christmas episode was probably my least favourite but there’s still good stuff in there. I think this was probably my favourite season since 2.

Yeah strong season for sure. I like the returning characters and always impressed they're able to create good new metaphors for emotions etc.

I still remember in the first episode when the hormone monsters turned up and I was like 'hm, not sure I'm going to get on with this aspect'. How wrong was I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I started watching the Lethal Weapon TV show, since it just showed up here on Primevideo. Eventually I noticed on IMDB that the two main characters have quite a different amount of episodes credited to them. I went to google around some. Sure seemed like a huge shitshow behind the scenes. I guess there's no need to keep watching.

It was a fun show. I liked it a lot, and so did my wife, who isn't usually the biggest action fan.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

nate fisher posted:

To be honest despite what nostalgia tells us, Dexter was never great TV anyway. Yes it was fun and it was great to see Michael Hall as Dexter after him playing David Fisher for so long.

I started watching Dexter for the first time over the weekend, and all I really know about it was 'last few seasons were really bad' 'salad gif' and 'treadmill fall', and my basic feeling so far is 'what a goofy show'. It's pretty fun, but I feel like Doakes won't last long because he's clearly the best character.

I'm all in for seeing how stupid it ends up getting. As it stands, it was certainly a choice for the young adult flashbacks of Dexter just being MCH in an awful early Justin Beiber wig. I can't get over that wig.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Todd Howard is doing an AMA right now

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wow, how the hell did they do it? As if that show isn't hamstrung enough by how much you need to suspend disbelief with the amount of time they actually aren't allowed to be "racing", this season would be on a whole other level.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've always found that show so hard to watch and follow. Doesn't help that it's easier to watch shows where it's something maybe you'd fantasize about trying, like Survivor. Be hungry on an island of back-stabbers for money is my speed. Doing the horrible part of travelling, being on transportation or transporting yourself bodily, while being constantly lost and confused in foreign lands with arbitrary objectives is basically why I don't think I'd travel much even if I could afford afford to.

I am interested to watch this season because of the tension added.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Khanstant posted:

I think Great TV has a good beginning, middle, and end. A bad ending can mean never wanting to ever revisit that world or show again and GoT is the worst ending to anything. That's remarkable in it's own right, but the positive memories I have of GoT at this point were how fun it was to have an "event" where we'd regularly gather at someone's house to watch a show together. Then the show got so bad it wasn't a good excuse to hang out anymore.

LOST I feel like only comes up when people are annoyed at a new show for setting up a bunch of potentially interesting or baffling things that won't ever be resolved in nearly as intriguing way as you imagined. But I didn't watch LOST outside most of the first season because it was boring and sucked.

GoT, Dexter, and How I Met your Mother are the classic examples of shows that absolutely poo poo the bed in the end. I think Dexter is less hated than the other two because it went off the rails much sooner and people feel less like they got invested in something for years only to get hosed over in very end. To be truly hated, shows have to be good and then just really commit to a completely hosed up ending.

Shows like Heroes and Lost are just overhyped and wasted potential.

Edit: OA is a pretty good example of a very short show that massively enraged people. I think that whole show was an elaborate loving troll though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope "working with" mostly involves him visiting the set for PR once or twice or something.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've recently been catching up on The Walking Dead from when I bailed back in season 6 or 7.

I've gotta say, season 9 and 10 were pretty drat good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

I've recently been catching up on The Walking Dead from when I bailed back in season 6 or 7.

I've gotta say, season 9 and 10 were pretty drat good.

I have a theory that shows that last long get terrible after like 3 or 4 seasons, but if they last to 6 or 7 they get good again, and its because the original writers leave or get lazy, but then younger and fresher minds are brought on board and thay actually try. Its like why every season of The Simpsons has like 1 or 2 episodes that is miles beyond the rest and low and behold its attributed to a new (to the Simpsons) writer.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, turns out season 9 and 10 had a new showrunner so it makes sense.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

speaking of the Lost ending, I watched it the whole way through again recently as my partner hadn’t seen it. She loved it all, cried, there’s never going to be a better show etc etc.

But the worst thing was that the only available version of the finale for streaming in my area was a two parter that was cut down for syndication. What the hell is that. integral moments just cut for time. Just leads to moments like Sawyer arriving at a hospital for the sole purpose of eating a chocolate bar. Garbage decision.

What’s worse is that this happened with Netflix like six years ago, so I don’t know why Stan (australian streaming service) just went and repeated the same mistake.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rewatching some of Superstore's final season, where the first episode kicks off with the start of the pandemic. The past 18 months have been a weird time trip. Hard to believe its only been 18 months, and its already been 18 months, since poo poo kicked off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Watching the Chucky series and its really good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://youtu.be/rTGQiJ6sAxU

These 8 episodes are going to fly by.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Dexter wasn't really good tv, but it was fun tv.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Big Mouth continues to be incredible

Also

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/1458030015443001344?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 11, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I wasn't all that impressed with the premiere of Dexter, and I had pretty low expectations, but with some recent leaks I trust it will at least be sufficiently terrible enough for a hate watch and not just plain boring. That was my main fear. I kinda spoiled it for myself a little bit though, by watching a lot of good antihero/serial killer TV leading up to it (Mr Inbetween, Barry, Mayans, Chucky), so even if it turns out to be good it probably just can't measure up. But hey, it's gonna have Clancy Brown. I'm hopeful he can be another John Lithgow or Ray Stevenson and elevate the show as opposed to being brought down by it like so many other guest stars, but even if he isn't I'll always enjoy seeing The Kurgan in stuff.

On the note of Chucky, pretty good episode this week. Normally I hate exposition bombs but I thought they tackled this one pretty alright. Oddly enough, I think I prefer a young version of Chucky being played by Fiona Dourif to Brad Dourif in a Tommy Wiseau wig like in Curse. Didn't see the need for the Jennifer Tilly voice dub on the other girl though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sam Elliot is in a Yellowstone spinoff called 1883

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_t3nZQeGw

I have a feeling he dies early on and the teaser is tricking us.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lowtax died

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
huh... Not something I'd expect to read today.

:rip:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lmao that lowtax is trending on twitter and 99% of it is still people ripping on him

rest in piss lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rip in piss

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LadyAmbien posted:

Yesterday I recieved a divorce ruling that would help me and my daughter stay in our home in Canada and allow me to provide a good life for her as well as pay back numerous debts that had accrued during the past two years when I was receiving $350 a month in child support.

In the divorce ruling the judge found that Rich had willfully spent down the martial fund, confirmed his treatment of me was Domestic Violence and put together a plan to pay for the attorney fees etc. He would still retain custody settled on previously in mediation. He was due to get our daughter for Christmas.

An hour later I was contacted by my attorney who informed me that Rich had shot himself earlier in the morning.

So. There it is.
His other ex and I got to tell our children that their father died without saying goodbye to them, or that he loved them, or to my knowledge, left a note for them.

If you've made it this far thank you for giving me space to let this go so I know longer have to hold onto it.

gently caress lowtax

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress lowtax

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

zoux posted:

Todd Howard is doing an AMA right now

Meanwhile Fear the Walking Dead has beat them to the punch by essentially becoming a Fallout tv series.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Meanwhile Fear the Walking Dead has beat them to the punch by essentially becoming a Fallout tv series.

I stopped watching FTWD after season 2 (I droppped TWD after season 5?), did it ever get good?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does Fear the Walking Dead rely heavily on future retro 1950s aesthetics and the paranoia of nuclear war because those are pretty fundamental concepts that make Fallout Fallout.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

I stopped watching FTWD after season 2 (I droppped TWD after season 5?), did it ever get good?

It swings up and down. Season 3 was actually quite good but then it changed showrunners and was basically retooled to focus on Morgan from the original series. The first half of season 4 was alright but the second half and season 5 were both pretty awful. The first half of 6 was pretty good and so far 7 seems okay.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Does Fear the Walking Dead rely heavily on future retro 1950s aesthetics and the paranoia of nuclear war because those are pretty fundamental concepts that make Fallout Fallout.
No but last season they had the children of the atom set off a nuke and now they've got Strand holed up in Tenpenny Tower while the rest of the cast is scrounging grocery stores for irradiated cans of beans.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

J-Spot posted:

It swings up and down. Season 3 was actually quite good but then it changed showrunners and was basically retooled to focus on Morgan from the original series. The first half of season 4 was alright but the second half and season 5 were both pretty awful. The first half of 6 was pretty good and so far 7 seems okay.

FTWD, for me anyways, completely blew its premise and just become the Walking Dead - California and I was never able to bring myself to watch again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, the most recent episode has an exposition dump for people who don't know any more than "Chucky is a possessed killer doll", so you might have a point.

Ok, I just caught up and yeah... that last episode definitely takes a big rear end leap into "wtf happened in those movies?". Its interesting how they structured it so like you watched half the season of this new story with the kids and then just boom, unload all the madness on the hooked new viewers for the second half.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, they even went ahead and explained to the audience how there was now a new Chucky running around in a different doll, with the possession flashback. Fans of the franchise would've immediately known that Chucky had already possessed a new doll while the kids were destroying a regular nonpossessed burnt doll.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But like, you definitely could have just watched up to that point knowing little more than "Chucky is a killer doll." The rest of the story was about Jake and all the new characters.

This episode definitely kind of changed that and I get the impression its gonna go full on nutso Cult of Chucky for the last few episodes. But it all feels very deliberately structured so that any new viewers still watching by this point are hooked into the new stuff so you hope they'll hang on for the rest of the ride.

To me that seems like Mancini really was trying to make an accessible way to merge into the freeway of crazy the longtime fans were already on.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

Sam Elliot is in a Yellowstone spinoff called 1883

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_t3nZQeGw

I have a feeling he dies early on and the teaser is tricking us.

Casting two singers in to lead roles? Ehhhhhhhhh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taylor Sheridan please stop doing things

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Taylor Sheridan please stop doing things

So Yellowstone isn't worth checking further into? Kelly Reilly being stupidly evil was one of the few redeeming factors of True Detective season 2, and I was tempted despite the Wes Bentley of it all.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

So Yellowstone isn't worth checking further into? Kelly Reilly being stupidly evil was one of the few redeeming factors of True Detective season 2, and I was tempted despite the Wes Bentley of it all.

Again I like it, just don't go in thinking you are going to get a prestige drama. Think old-school primetime soaps like Dallas or Dynasty, but turn the insanity factor up by the power of 10. I would put in on par with something like SoA I guess (which of course Taylor acted in). Also Kelly Reilly might the most on '10' person in the whole series. She tries to devour every scene she is in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

But like, you definitely could have just watched up to that point knowing little more than "Chucky is a killer doll." The rest of the story was about Jake and all the new characters.

This episode definitely kind of changed that and I get the impression its gonna go full on nutso Cult of Chucky for the last few episodes. But it all feels very deliberately structured so that any new viewers still watching by this point are hooked into the new stuff so you hope they'll hang on for the rest of the ride.

To me that seems like Mancini really was trying to make an accessible way to merge into the freeway of crazy the longtime fans were already on.

Yeah I think it's aimed at people like me. I only watched the first 3 Child's Play movies, and then bounced as they were becoming more comedy than anything else. I think this is going to be a good primer on what I missed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno. I just don’t really like his stuff. I don’t get the love for Hell or High Water at all, it seemed to be very patronising to poor people. Sicario and Wind River are both quite good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

There is one gimmick thing in the finale but I think they pulled it off very well.

Ha watched it last night, I'm glad they didn't linger on that part too long. It had a weird 'wrapping up' feel to it by doing that, even with another season greenlit.

I hope Kristen Schaal returns, poor Andrew ha.