Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why did he kill himself though? I mean, getting a job seems harsh when you've been coasting most of your adult life but not that harsh. He musta been in serious debt or something

He lost his reputation, his house, his fancy cars, his source of fresh money, his newest children (since he seems to not give a poo poo about his older ones), and finally his ability to buy new pills. The last one probably hurt the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mantis42 posted:

Idk he's not creating much

eh, plenty of decomposition byproducts

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

LadyAmbien posted:

I have been sitting for hours debating whether or not to disclose this, and I feel like it's something I do need to get off of my chest.
Frankly, I'm tried of being quiet. I've mostly had to stay quiet for years about things happening behind the scenes. I've held things inside so long and so hard my chest physically hurt the same way it is now.

I considered not sharing this out of respect for Rich's parents and sister, but after thinking on the incredibly vitriolic wall of text Rich's Mother sent to me this morning, saying upon many other things, that his blood is on my hands, I need to share it to regain some sense of control over what's taken place in the past 48 hours.

Yesterday I recieved a divorce ruling that would help me and my daughter stay in our home in Canada and allow me to provide a good life for her as well as pay back numerous debts that had accrued during the past two years when I was receiving $350 a month in child support.

In the divorce ruling the judge found that Rich had willfully spent down the martial fund, confirmed his treatment of me was Domestic Violence and put together a plan to pay for the attorney fees etc. He would still retain custody settled on previously in mediation. He was due to get our daughter for Christmas.

An hour later I was contacted by my attorney who informed me that Rich had shot himself earlier in the morning.

So. There it is.
His other ex and I got to tell our children that their father died without saying goodbye to them, or that he loved them, or to my knowledge, left a note for them.

If you've made it this far thank you for giving me space to let this go so I know longer have to hold onto it.

I'm really sorry you and your child have to go through this. I hope that in time this can bring some peace to you both.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I've used these forums for almost exactly half my life, on and off. I have never been a good poster or really fit in here, but that is my fate and I somehow feel grateful for being able to be a bad poster, and not just a thing indistinguishable from nothing, like in the twitter/reddit hellscape the internet has become. I've had long periods of my life where I've been pretty miserable and angry, and these forums have given me sanctuary. A cave in the storm with a wall I can write on, something like that. A place to sulk. I have a few previous accounts (sutch, abandon, vug, might be more I can't remember) which I autobanned, or which got banned because either I or somebody else got tired of what a negative rear end in a top hat I was. But I feel like I have always drawn growth and healing from this website, and these days it feels like one of the few remaining bastions of the old internet, and though it's shrunk down a lot now it seems better than ever at being the SA forums, and long may it continue.

I have never really felt like joining in the demonising of Lowtax, firstly because I don't like to demonise anyone. That may seem weird given how much his early content was basically about demonising people online but it's because there is a part of me that is like that - a dark undercurrent of violent or dehumanising thought in me that I have grown beyond since I was a teenager. I have been angry throughout my life, most often angry at myself, hating my inability to be what I think people want me to be regardless of whether that was a just or rational thing, and I have always thought that that was something that typified goons in general. A flimsy kinship through endemic mental problems and anger turned in on oneself. A lot of teenagers who become goons hating themselves and wanting to lash out at someone, be they furries or whatever else. Sometimes things start from a dark, ugly and lovely place, but we grow beyond it.

The world doesn't have to be full of perfect people. Lowtax wasn't perfect, and he came to a miserable end. But my life has been made better for his works, so I suppose I'll post in this thread by way of saying thanks for that, Lowtax. Sorry you couldn't stick around

-- forums poster "HORSE-SLAUGHTERER"

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Here's a lil something to take the edge off team

MOD EDIT: Super :goatsecx: -io 64

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

jesus christ the final chapter from that guy is somehow the worst one

condolences to his family who he has no doubt left a giant mess of his own making to sort out once again

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Richard's skull is already doing a goatse impression so you don't need to bother

If I say "no ring" here I'm going to hell, aren't I?

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

lovely Wizard posted:

His mom is loaded if I remember right, so all he had to do was be mama's boy for a few years (if that if her having cancer was true) and then he could go back to cookies pills and slightly higher than bottom tier booze.
Beyond mommy money, I don't think he had any real source of money unless he got a real job.

It also sounds like his mother deserves the emotional torture she's currently going through. When my stepdad killed himself, the first thing his parents told my mother was that it was their own fault, if anything. Leveling such an accusation against someone who was in a relationship with the departed, who once loved them, and then had to have a court case against them for physical abuse, is something only the most vile at heart would do, rather than look for someone to grieve with. May she dine alongside her son soon enough

im saint germain fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 11, 2021

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Ometeotl posted:

Do we know how much Jeffrey paid him for these dead forums?

ten dollars, american

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vorgen posted:

I just found out about this. I don't have the comfortableness within myself to find the words to describe the ways this website has influenced my life. It's all still so weird and strange and fascinating and also offputting even 20 years in. There's always been a strongly vicious, negative vibe running through the fascination. I have imagined that was the legacy of Lowtax. I hope it dies with him.

That seems apt, what a sad, depressing loser he was. Still, I guess this means I win the gun argument I had with him in 2003.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wierd to find this out on FARK first and not here.

Glad I read the thread after that posting. I'm trying to send 2x :10bux: to the gofundme but it keeps giving an error :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spergin Morlock posted:

If I say "no ring" here I'm going to hell, aren't I?

Yeah, but you can mock Lowtax to his face when you arrive so IMO it's worth it.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I was going to make a distasteful joke but this is truly heart-breaking. No child should have to bare the thought that their dad, the one man who is supposed to be there for them, decided to check out of that responsibility for what feels like spite.

I hope you don't harbor any guilt; he wasn't a saint and you were acting in the best interests of what matters most. I'll be donating when I wake up and can process this. I didn't like the guy but this site has been part of my life since 2003 (lost old account); made some great online friends, explored new hobbies, and had a ton of laughs. This just feels incredibly surreal.

Suicide is the most selfish act you can inflict on a child. I don't know what else to say other than you have a community that does care about you - let people know if you need anything at all. My heart sincerely goes out to you. gently caress.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Big oofs all round, and thinking very much of his children and former partners.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Filthy Haiku posted:

To any other goons who have struggled with suicidal urges; remember how Lowtax taking his own life hurt those around him even though he was a garbage person. Look in the mirror and ask yourself "Am I as big of an rear end in a top hat as Lowtax?"

No. No you are not. Keep fighting friends.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nitnen posted:

I keep every add for my deceased friends no matter how silly it may seem. It's upsetting sometimes to be reminded that they're gone, but ultimately seeing them there reminds me of the good memories I have of them.

It's also your last connection to an act they did while alive - severing that add is severing that connection. You can look at the name and be reminded of the add and them taking action to include you in their lives. I get it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I donated to the go fund me. Hope it helps

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ometeotl posted:

At least 6 figures it's what people have said. I guess that's the money he blew before the court order gave the marital trust 0% in his favor?

jawsnorevenge
Dec 10, 2018

stay permafucked lowtax

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LadyAmbien posted:

I appreciate this and all the other kind comments like this.

There is a stickied post in GBS called For the Children with a link to the GFM where any money raised will be split between the girls and used for their care, any counseling costs and future education funds. .

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-a-friend-in-hiding

Donated.

My deepest condolences. :smith:

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The most charitable reading is that he honestly believed what he said about how he wasn't a domestic abuser and those crazy women were accused him for no reason. He clung pretty hard to that "never proven in court" thing and when that changed he couldn't handle it.

"Do you beat your wife?"

It's not an essay question, it's yes or no. There is no charitable reading of that at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I've used these forums for almost exactly half my life, on and off. I have never been a good poster or really fit in here, but that is my fate and I somehow feel grateful for being able to be a bad poster, and not just a thing indistinguishable from nothing, like in the twitter/reddit hellscape the internet has become.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdDwBliS-o&t=45s

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Wait, why would Fragmaster lie to us about Mr. Lowtax being a good guy?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Thanks for the forums I guess.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Soo uhhhhh

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

LadyAmbien posted:

A sad story about a sad man

I'm sorry for you and everyone else who has had to deal with all of this. I wish you strength and wisdom

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Ometeotl posted:

$420.69

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Joust posted:

Thanks for the forums I guess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edmund Sparkler posted:

At least 6 figures it's what people have said. I guess that's the money he blew before the court order gave the marital trust 0% in his favor?

That's a lot of Goldbelly.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

LadyAmbien posted:

I have been sitting for hours debating whether or not to disclose this, and I feel like it's something I do need to get off of my chest.
Frankly, I'm tried of being quiet. I've mostly had to stay quiet for years about things happening behind the scenes. I've held things inside so long and so hard my chest physically hurt the same way it is now.

I considered not sharing this out of respect for Rich's parents and sister, but after thinking on the incredibly vitriolic wall of text Rich's Mother sent to me this morning, saying upon many other things, that his blood is on my hands, I need to share it to regain some sense of control over what's taken place in the past 48 hours.

Yesterday I recieved a divorce ruling that would help me and my daughter stay in our home in Canada and allow me to provide a good life for her as well as pay back numerous debts that had accrued during the past two years when I was receiving $350 a month in child support.

In the divorce ruling the judge found that Rich had willfully spent down the martial fund, confirmed his treatment of me was Domestic Violence and put together a plan to pay for the attorney fees etc. He would still retain custody settled on previously in mediation. He was due to get our daughter for Christmas.

An hour later I was contacted by my attorney who informed me that Rich had shot himself earlier in the morning.

So. There it is.
His other ex and I got to tell our children that their father died without saying goodbye to them, or that he loved them, or to my knowledge, left a note for them.

If you've made it this far thank you for giving me space to let this go so I know longer have to hold onto it.

My sincerest condolences. Hopefully being able to make this post and the well wishes of Goons helps ease the pain you're feeling, even if only a little.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

To any other goons who have struggled with suicidal urges; remember how Lowtax taking his own life hurt those around him even though he was a garbage person. Look in the mirror and ask yourself "Am I as big of an rear end in a top hat as Lowtax?"

edit:

Rich was an absolutely cartoonish caricature of someone irresponsible with money.

As someone who tried to off themselves years ago, if anyone else gets to that point just... fuckin' don't?? Like most people's reactions are "gosh you'll have things to live for in the future" or "isn't there anything you love in life, no matter how small?" but for me, knowing what I know now and looking back on that time, I'm just fuckin' mad that poo poo-rear end fucker tried to kill me. gently caress that rear end in a top hat, what a loving moron, god drat.

So like, don't be a poo poo-rear end fucker, explore every other option. gently caress at least sleep on it before doing anything, it's not like "being dead" is a one-time-only opportunity and you have to act now before the sale ends or whatever.

I hope this helps someone somehow, idk.

ID Unavailable
Mar 2, 2012

THIS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIT, HUH
also making my pilgrimage to the wake so I can piss in the casket

wish I still had my original account. also wish I didn't spend :10bux: on this account, only to basically never use to for anything other than this.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
Lowtax was a coward in life and a coward in death. His undeniable hand and influence in establishing, both physically and culturally, SA and the forums, and the subsequent influence this site ended up having on the development of internet culture and structure, for better and for worse, is to be acknowledged. These forums meant a lot to me for a good period of my life, and I made friends in here that I'm still talking to daily, and for that I am grateful he kicked it off.

Very sorry to hear what you've been put through LadyAmbien, and I hope you, his other ex, and your children can heal from this.

Orenthal
Apr 14, 2008

I got 99 problems but a bitc 98 problems

Filthy Haiku posted:

in an overwhelmingly negative thread, you are doing a very positive service. keep up the good work.

Time Master
Jul 30, 2020
I hope GoldBelly delivers to hell

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I can’t believe he done this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LadyAmbien posted:

I appreciate this and all the other kind comments like this.

There is a stickied post in GBS called For the Children with a link to the GFM where any money raised will be split between the girls and used for their care, any counseling costs and future education funds. .

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-a-friend-in-hiding

I've been making jokes in this thread, because this is still Something Awful. But I've also donated to this. In the real world off the Internet, there's nothing funny about this situation at all. Whatever opinion you may hold of Rich himself, there are real flesh-and-blood kids out there who have just lost their father and need all the help we can give.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Does anyone know if this is going ahead still?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

As of now this is the only article on Google News covering this story:

https://getindianews.com/is-richard-lowtax-kyanka-dead-or-alive-social-media-death-hoax-explained/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Doobie better show for the funeral