Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Linux is just a kernel. KDE makes a computer my ~/ home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pseudorandom name posted:

I want to know how the Google a DLL name market is profitable enough that there’s like eight different sites that serve it

I mean, if you own a site that attracts people who will willingly execute whatever dll you serve them…

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when you eject a dvd on gnome it does this now

brb unplugging sata drive

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's called hotswapping op

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what if linux is also a bad server os, but anything that might have been better died of costing more than nothing

chuckles in RHEL

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

NihilCredo posted:

the tree of /usr/lib must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of packagers and maintainers

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

i'd rather have shaggar posting in this thread than nomnom cookie

a torrent of bad linux takes day in and out

:ironicat:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Linus is the closest the youth of today has to a leo laporte or a Jerry Pournelle.

oof

linus is kinda a clown but he's not someone who got notoriety by writing reactionary/fascist scifi and parlaying that into being a tech columnist

even lumping laporte in with pournelle makes me cringe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BobHoward posted:

oof

linus is kinda a clown but he's not someone who got notoriety by writing reactionary/fascist scifi and parlaying that into being a tech columnist

whenever im feeling down i sometimes perk myself up by remembering that jerry pournelle is dead lol lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

the tree of /usr/lib must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of packagers and maintainers

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

funny

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol at having optical media in 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Device can be safely removed and thrown in the trash

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lsb (Living sacrifice blood)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

only temporary, was burning some linux iso cds to play on my 486

the desktop case doesn't even have a 5 1/4" slot on the front so the writer was sitting on the floor plugged into the open case

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
optical media is good for airgaps. V. critical if you intend to be your own bank.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

POSIX in particular is very, very bad

i like the documentation >:|

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Little known fact. Early on in the unix workstation game most offices had a bunch of dumb terminals that connected to a minicomputer. One of the selling points was that when you bought this $50k workstation, you could point all those text terminals at the workstation and give everyone in the office a big upgrade.

The multiuser features of unix that made it such a poo poo single user experience were carried into desktop unix as a selling/marketing point. Not a technical one.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

POSIX has SCCS in it. Every other version control system is nonstandard :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel ambivalent towards POSIX - it's one of the better examples of interoperability standards we have, but I cannot for the life of me imagine working on an OS that's strictly POSIX (ie. only implements what POSIX defines, and nothing else).
That just sounds like a loving nightmare.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Little known fact. Early on in the unix workstation game most offices had a bunch of dumb terminals that connected to a minicomputer. One of the selling points was that when you bought this $50k workstation, you could point all those text terminals at the workstation and give everyone in the office a big upgrade.

The multiuser features of unix that made it such a poo poo single user experience were carried into desktop unix as a selling/marketing point. Not a technical one.
It's such a bad feature that every version of Windows since the Chicago kernel in 1992 has had it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

only temporary, was burning some linux iso cds to play on my 486

the desktop case doesn't even have a 5 1/4" slot on the front so the writer was sitting on the floor plugged into the open case

oh so it was hot pluggable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BobHoward posted:

oof

let me know when linus "accidentally" shows a bunch of his dickpics on a stream

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's such a bad feature that every version of Windows since the Chicago kernel in 1992 has had it.

Windows would suck pretty bad too if it started up as windows terminal server and you connected to an rdp session via loopback. On your single user desktop.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 11, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'd like to point out that linus is still young and has 40+ years ahead of him where he can publicly gently caress up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, if he wants to be this generation's leo laporte he'll need to accidentally show his dick a few times

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Windows would suck pretty bad too if it started up as windows terminal server and you connected to an rdp session via loopback. On your single user desktop.
If there was only one user, it would be the equivalent of the SA account in modern Windows or root on Unix-likes, much like the single-user system that DOS and Windows 3.x had.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

If there was only one user, it would be the equivalent of the SA account in modern Windows or root on Unix-likes, much like the single-user system that DOS and Windows 3.x had.

I wasn't talking about the entire concept of multi user. I'm talking about configuring the machine by default for multiple users. There was a reason why NeXT got so much acclaim.

Like imagine desktop windows being configured so that multiple people could rdesktop in alongside the person sitting at the terminal by default. You'd have silliness like needing to give yourself permission to access the com ports.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Like imagine desktop windows being configured so that multiple people could rdesktop in alongside the person sitting at the terminal by default. You'd have silliness like needing to give yourself permission to access the com ports.

Am I missing a joke here? You absolutely can do that. The limitation of only one actively connected session is purely arbitrary and can be removed by loving with some dll. Hell, you can move an active local session to a remote rdp one, have someone else log in locally, and all it does is disconnect the remote (again, arbitrary limitation) but the session remains.

And it's that way because the rdp and session part is taken from Windows Server.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Antigravitas posted:

Am I missing a joke here? You absolutely can do that. The limitation of only one actively connected session is purely arbitrary and can be removed by loving with some dll. Hell, you can move an active local session to a remote rdp one, have someone else log in locally, and all it does is disconnect the remote (again, arbitrary limitation) but the session remains.

And it's that way because the rdp and session part is taken from Windows Server.

No, no joke. My professional knowledge of windows ends in like... 2008 or 2009. I have no idea what's been merged in since windows vista. There used to be a real divide between what was possible with windows server vs workstation/desktop.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I wasn't talking about the entire concept of multi user. I'm talking about configuring the machine by default for multiple users. There was a reason why NeXT got so much acclaim.

Have you read Steve Jobs & the NeXT Big Thing? Because you really should.
Suffice it to say, there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses going around when it comes to NeXT and Steve Jobs.

I know how teletypes communicated with minis - but I don't see how that affects the reality that multi-user environment still benefits Unix-likes to this day; if it wasn't a multi-user environment, there wouldn't be such a thing as dropping privileges and anything you might want to run on the machine (such as a web server) would run under the same user you're using.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

No, no joke. My professional knowledge of windows ends in like... 2008 or 2009. I have no idea what's been merged in since windows vista. There used to be a real divide between what was possible with windows server vs workstation/desktop.

this has been a feature since at least windows 2k. probably NT but i don't have much experience with that

it's funny because as janky as X is locally, at least over a LAN it performed... well enough? but now with wayland remote stuff is absolutely better with RDP lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I got to use a NeXT cube. It was head and shoulders above AIXorHP-UX+X/CDE. The development tools also looked worlds better than c+athena/motif.

I guess mostly I'm trying to convey the degree of privilege granted to the user at the console is reduced, and the complexity of configuring the system is increased. When you assume one single person (not user accounts) is using a computer, you get to make safe assumptions about who should be accessing the sound card, and what should happen to the systemwide defaults if someone plugs in USB speakers to the computer.

Yeah, I believe that you could bypass the check. I question what it would have been like to have five people sharing a windows 2000 PC with winterms alongside someone using it as their desktop.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 11, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

maybe all software just sucks :shrug:

better things aren't possible

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

josef bacik writes about upcoming on-disk format changes for btrfs

Extent-tree-v2: Global Roots and Block Group Root

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

josef bacik writes about upcoming on-disk format changes for btrfs

Extent-tree-v2: Global Roots and Block Group Root

imagine caring about this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Somebody has to care so you don’t have to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually nobody has to care about btrfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

Actually nobody has to care about btrfs.
least of all facebook, given how they use it