Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what does it even mean to "lodge whims"? i might have been doing that all along for all i know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i'm sitting on the toilet lodging a whim

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Found the HN copy pasta I guess

artkiver 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

You're, a moron, I guess? I mean, you work for Microsoft, so you clearly have 0 qualms about supporting the legacy of a robber baron college drop out who plagiarized actual researchers in the field of computer science, multiple times.
Have you ever been a LISA scale administrator? A K-12 level County Office of Education administrator? Have you ever helped patch embargoed bugs in codebases such as BIND, used billions of times per hour by oh, more or less everyone online?

Were you buddies with Doug Engelbart?

Do you have anything personally signed by Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick?

Have you ever even met Tim Berners-Lee?

What about John Gilmore?

I'm guessing, your answer to those rhetorical questions would be no, but please: surprise me!

What uhh, "world's most popular tools for viewing and modifying web traffic" did you build? Because, this is the first time I have ever encountered you, and I have been root/Enterprise Admins/enable/etc/sudoers/wheel/etc. for the company which runs the cross-browser development framework utilized by Fortune 1 among others. I know a lot of people in this field going back to the 1970s, at least, and you found about the worst wage imaginable to become known to my periphery.

Moreover, since this is not NNTP, and I am guessing you are too young to even know what it means when someone writes: "welcome to my .killfile" do you want to have a career in this, or any other solar system in the next several lifetimes?

Because I am betting on: you will be in the realm of: no one, anywhere, ever, will want to hire you, ever, again from what I have read from you so far, and yes, I spent the time to peruse your pathetic commits since 2019 on Chromium too.

Know spoonm? I helped him get a job at Google, back before it became Alphabet, he worked on Chrome's V8 engine, among other things. I knew him before he even had a commit in the Metasploit Project. Ever heard of Chris Palmer? Because I was root/etc. at iSEC Partners, which is one of the places he worked before he went over to Google/Alphabet to supposedly help with Chrome's security, among other things.

How young were you when even NIST got on board with recommending against "security through obscurity"?

Bonus: others have already found workarounds, and begun to document them publicly. However, that seems to be begging the question: why make them jump through extra hoops unnecessarily? If it can be "trivially circumvented" then it is, IMHO, better to avoid, entirely.

Learn from your elders: “Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible.”ーAlan Kay

You attempting to change the "narrative" and discount others' to fit your perspective, is worse than mere abject ignorance of how discourse and comments function, or did you forget that RFCs built the intergalactic network of computers? It’s down right rude, dehumanizing even. You do not get to unilaterally decide that people objecting to your boneheaded idiocy are uncertain of the implications, when I know quite well how GPOs and other draconian centralized ACL management systems operate at scale. I haven’t just deployed some, I am personal friends with the authors of firewall engines used in places best not to mention by name at the moment and am versed in a panoply of configuration management languages they do not tend to even teach at postgraduate levels, but hey, at least some of them have source code readily available and are, IMHO, far more critical to network operations than a browser has ever been, or will ever be.

If you wanted to get clout and attention and make a bunch of enemies from people you have never bothered to learn about, you sure picked a hell of a way to do it, emphasis on hell. I do not envy your karma.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hn navy seals copypasta

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
honestly that might be one of the best things posted in any iteration of this thread

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
big lol at "I was a computer janitor at the company that made that popular framework"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

that dude is such a big deal on the internet

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
drat, that dude is distantly connected to a lot of stuff that’s semi-important

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"i was the sysadmin at a no-name company someone else worked at before jumping ship for google" says a lot, but it doesn't say what this guy thinks it says

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

artkiver posted:

or did you forget that RFCs built the intergalactic network of computers?
this is the type of dude who uses the phrase "The sum of all human knowledge" to refer to "the internet" with total conviction

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if we could build a scalable system for harvesting stuff from nerd shoulders we could solve the IC shortage overnight

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

if we could build a scalable system for harvesting stuff from nerd shoulders we could solve the IC shortage overnight

hehe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if only my postgraduate studies had focused more on configuration languages

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
love a brag of "i had a lot of opportunities to be someone you'd know about"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plorkyeran posted:

love a brag of "i had a lot of opportunities to be someone you'd know about"
strong esr "i was tangentially involved (if you squint) in a series of somewhat-important old computer things, who want to touch the hem of my robe" energy

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

of course he actually bothered to fill up his hn profile bio:

I've been online longer than the WWW.

Longer than TCP's netflow and ebb.

Perhaps you've been around here too?

If that's true?

Then why do I not already know you?

Perhaps you're part of the ewe?

I have fought for the users, but prefer not to tend flocks.

Hypervisors are old news to me, and I've skewed more than NTP's clocks.

If you want to stay chill in any realm of space or time.

I suggest you do more than code, you learn how to rhyme.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

still lol'ing at "K-12 level County Office of Education administrator"

the worst coworker I ever had would regularly brag that had worked for the "former vice-quaestor of [ the 70k-inhabitant town we live in ]"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

artkiver 7 hours ago | prev | next [–]

[flagged]

lol those hn losers flagged the post

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

they are jealous of his posting energy

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

creamyhorror 12 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

It's true, his forums had a huge indirect influence on modern US online culture, giving rise to so many projects and careers.
Ironically, he failed to capitalise on his influential position unlike so many of his peers who sold off their online properties and disappeared from the public eye. If he'd taken a different approach, he'd probably now be sitting on media properties (or a fortune) worth tens of millions, and minting millions more in cryptocurrency/NFTs. And also possibly have a very different family life.
An example of someone with huge opportunities but not the inclination/mindset or skillset to grasp them.
(Also, I never understood the absurdist humour of Doom/Mood House back in the day. Weird stuff.)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
nah

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Something Awful REACTS

Jeffrey is GROUNDED by Malika (OH NO) (Slime Project)

YOSPOSJesus reviews the STEAM DECK (:subscribe: :bell_not:)

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

It's true, his forums had a huge indirect influence on modern US online culture, giving rise to so many projects and careers.
Ironically, he failed to capitalise on his influential position unlike so many of his peers who sold off their online properties and disappeared from the public eye. If he'd taken a different approach, he'd probably now be sitting on media properties (or a fortune) worth tens of millions, and minting millions more in cryptocurrency/NFTs. And also possibly have a very different family life.
An example of someone with huge opportunities but not the inclination/mindset or skillset to grasp them.
(Also, I never understood the absurdist humour of Doom/Mood House back in the day. Weird stuff.)
There's something sort of sad about seeing former goons appear in that hn thread about Lowtax's death to just spout the weirdiest, hn-iest stuff imaginable like this.

Like I don't think being a goon makes someone a good person or anything but I would at least hope they would not say things like "it's such a shame that Lowtax failed to monetize his life with NFTs"

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mystes posted:

There's something sort of sad about seeing former goons appear in that hn thread about Lowtax's death to just spout the weirdiest, hn-iest stuff imaginable like this.

Like I don't think being a goon makes someone a good person or anything but I would at least hope they would not say things like "it's such a shame that Lowtax failed to monetize his life with NFTs"

I doubt most of them were. It is 100% a thing on the hellsite to pretend you were in on something you had no idea about until X months/weeks/days/seconds ago to try to sound cool.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
lowtax was a shithead, but even the mangosteen king of the midwest didn't stoop so low as to mint NFTs

really makes you think

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Xarn posted:

Do you have anything personally signed by Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick?

Lol, bragging about your signed computer-toucher merch

"I touched a robe once! What have you done with your life?!"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Internet Janitor posted:

lowtax was a shithead, but even the mangosteen king of the midwest didn't stoop so low as to mint NFTs

really makes you think

selling lovely drawings of space ships for money and then never actually drawing them is basically nfts minus the environmental impact

so yeah i guess lowtax was a step up from anyone who has touched nfts

mystes
May 31, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

I doubt most of them were. It is 100% a thing on the hellsite to pretend you were in on something you had no idea about until X months/weeks/days/seconds ago to try to sound cool.
Except, you know, the actual person in the quote I was replying to.

mystes fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 12, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Well, that super sucks. gently caress him twice then.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

this guy made this web site that had this hugely outsized impact on the culture, and he didn't turn it into some asinine vc money mill. these are two totally separate, unrelated things though

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

it's not surprising tho. like can you imagine if nfts had come around during the golden (manbaby) years of gbs how many people on here would have gone nuts for them

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bigpeeler on the blockchain

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

really makes you think

Not so fast
https://twitter.com/AliceAletheia/status/1458873494570250246?s=20

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lmao this person is asking $46,000 for a magic internet bean that says "the 10 bux emoji is totally yours bro, Lowtax promised for REALSIES before he shot himself."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even stranger https://opensea.io/collection/lowtax

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cw more lowtax i've been informed that the account belongs to a woman that lowtax was grooming so he could've legitimately said that and jfc i did not need to know that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

cw more lowtax i've been informed that the account belongs to a woman that lowtax was grooming so he could've legitimately said that and jfc i did not need to know that

hahaha holy poo poo

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The grift continues even into the grave. Or the ditch

That spoiler. Goddamn.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 12, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hirundo 31 minutes ago | next [–]

"And of course the breeder’s equation explains how average IQ potential is declining today, because of low fertility among highly educated women."
In the Heinlein universe, the Howard Foundation runs a voluntary eugenics program by paying people with particularly long lived ancestors to mate with each other. Protagonist Lazarus Long is a product of this.
The author is saying that this would work as expected, with offspring gaining around 50% of their parents' extra longevity.
I'm a firm opponent of any kind of coercive eugenics. But it seems like it would be a good use of a billionaire's fortune to establish such a foundation for the promotion of intelligence, by paying very smart people to make babies together.
But in Heinlein, the "Howards" became reviled and were forced off of the planet. If we do create a particularly smart population by eugenics, perhaps their primary task should be to find a way to protect themselves from us normals. Of course, the first resort is secrecy. So we wouldn't know if they already exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fritz posted:

hirundo 31 minutes ago | next [–]

"And of course the breeder’s equation explains how average IQ potential is declining today, because of low fertility among highly educated women."
In the Heinlein universe, the Howard Foundation runs a voluntary eugenics program by paying people with particularly long lived ancestors to mate with each other. Protagonist Lazarus Long is a product of this.
The author is saying that this would work as expected, with offspring gaining around 50% of their parents' extra longevity.
I'm a firm opponent of any kind of coercive eugenics. But it seems like it would be a good use of a billionaire's fortune to establish such a foundation for the promotion of intelligence, by paying very smart people to make babies together.
But in Heinlein, the "Howards" became reviled and were forced off of the planet. If we do create a particularly smart population by eugenics, perhaps their primary task should be to find a way to protect themselves from us normals. Of course, the first resort is secrecy. So we wouldn't know if they already exist.

is hirundo ex-gray forums superstar shruges/sarehu by any chance? that, uh, sounds a lot like the crazy poo poo he used to write