Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know it is Latin for remember your death but Mori is also Japanese for I think forest? Has kanji and everything. Suitable!

Edit memento means nothing I guess but the syllables line up with Japanese ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like a toothpaste!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
NINTENDO :argh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hacker voice "I'm in."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Every other game: You can play it a little past midnight
SMT5: lol who knows

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Male Student D, you have no eyes, it is you who is in fact the creep and I understand why no one wants to walk home with you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

In the past I've sort of described myself as a "story first RPG player." But to be more exact, I'm a character first player. I guess, after watching some of these SMT videos like the one Gaius linked or SD's SMTIV video, this is the long and short of why I love the games I do. I've also had a real itch to replay Xenogears these last few days on account of an effortpost I made about why Grahf is my favorite RPG villain ever. Nearly 2 decades of RPG playing has really shown me that Xenogears' gameplay is meh, and its dungeons are even worse. Yet I will struggle through both of these things because I love the characters so much. Same principle for Persona 2 IS. All my favorite games ever have a cast of characters I'm emotionally invested in.

That's part of my frustration with Nocturne. I don't dislike the characters. I'd love more scenes with Chiaki or Takao or anybody, really. When people talk about the actual memorable story bits of Nocturne, it's stuff like Chiaki's Yosuga speech, or the plight of the Manikins. The Manikin saga is the most compelling, developed part of the game and that is why Futomimi and their deaths is far and away the most emotional Nocturne ever really gets.

I don't even need much, just enough to sink my teeth into and competently written.

See I don't put much stock into characters at all, as long as you get the main gist of them you can fill in the gaps easy, knowing Chiaki is someone more concerned with success than the moral support of visiting an ill teacher is enough for me to connect all the dots between the initial Chiaki and the Yosuga Chiaki. Filling out details in a game is like cutting branches off a tree, without the clarification of details any of the branches of the tree can lead to the top, clarification ruthlessly cuts these offs and leaves the "True" path that can feel far less then the branch you've chosen.

Divining a story by interpreting the themes and motifs of a story, and analyzing the environment is far more interesting than just being given an answer with the endless dialogues of most modern RPG's

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

See I don't put much stock into characters at all, as long as you get the main gist of them you can fill in the gaps easy, knowing Chiaki is someone more concerned with success than the moral support of visiting an ill teacher is enough for me to connect all the dots between the initial Chiaki and the Yosuga Chiaki. Filling out details in a game is like cutting branches off a tree, without the clarification of details any of the branches of the tree can lead to the top, clarification ruthlessly cuts these offs and leaves the "True" path that can feel far less then the branch you've chosen.

Divining a story by interpreting the themes and motifs of a story, and analyzing the environment is far more interesting than just being given an answer with the endless dialogues of most modern RPG's

Of course there's room for themes and story as well but people like characters to have clear arcs. To follow up on my Manikin example in Nocturne:
1. We find them hiding out in the tunnels because they are enslaved by the Mantra.
2. When the Mantra fall, they are free but directionless.
3. When their leader is saved, he, uh, leads them to a city where they can finally be truly free.
4. They build their own home.
5 Their home is then destroyed by the de facto new leader of the Mantra and their leader is slain
6. Even still, some Manikins climb the Tower of Kagutsuchi.

The Manikins fit just as well into the themes of Nocturne as Chiaki does. We just see them at all the major points of their tragic journey They are prominent in the story from beginning to end.

Nobody would call Strange Journey a very talky video game and yet Jimenez is a great character whose beginning, middle, and end we see. He seems to be hands down one of the most beloved Chaos reps in the franchise, an opinion I share.

It's just like, why have Alignment Representatives at all if they aren't believable or charismatic? Why not just have us choose abstractly Law or Chaos? Because how persuasive the rep is matters a whole bunch. It's hard to empathize or relate to a character with five minutes of screentime spread out over 50 hours

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 12, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I am now stuck in decision paralysis staring at the level up screen. I know physical is seemingly the way to go and we *do* have a cool lightsaber hand but also magic looks rad too.

Or do I go full crazy and science out whether or not luck is a good stat on Hard mode blind.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Romans did not deny the power of fortuna why should you? Full luck is the only path

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

The Romans did not deny the power of fortuna why should you? Full luck is the only path

I have been convinced.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
How many people on your team should have buff and debuff skills? I have so few slots and there are so many buffs/debuffs. Are you expected to have multiple demons with the same skill to quickly max it out or spend 3 turns with 1 demon? I feel like it's more like EO in that killing the enemy quickly is the best defense, but I'm not that far into IV yet.

Orthrus hosed me up at 1st because I didn't realize red was a boss/minboss and Orthrus went 1st and promptly killed my Angel and severely damaged everyone except Pele, but then I must have over prepared because I wrecked him the next time.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The tune that plays when you go to the World of Shadows during a full or new moon is a bop.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I only had time to play for like 20 minutes before I had to leave for work and now I'm stuck here being productive instead of killing gods in fantasy Apocalypse Japan :negative: this sucks I need to go home and condemn humanity, boss

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

loving hell, Amazon went from "your game will be shipped on Friday" to "delivery date pending just today" you fuckers don't offer the game for sale if you don't have the copies is this what my sister pays Prime for.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I downloaded the safety difficulty DLC but still see not JP voice option. I thought it was part of that?

e: oh nevermind it was a separate download at the very very bottom. whoops

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Nobody would call Strange Journey a very talky video game

:greencube:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I downloaded the safety difficulty DLC but still see not JP voice option. I thought it was part of that?

theyre two seperate things

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Had an absolutely horrifying dream that I was playing SMT V but it was some sort of weird narrative SRPG (i guess bc i had played Wyldermyth recently) that was also "run" based and early access. Was so shook I literally woke up an hour early...But now I can Game a bit before work..so ty dream.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shyfted One posted:

How many people on your team should have buff and debuff skills? I have so few slots and there are so many buffs/debuffs. Are you expected to have multiple demons with the same skill to quickly max it out or spend 3 turns with 1 demon? I feel like it's more like EO in that killing the enemy quickly is the best defense, but I'm not that far into IV yet.

Orthrus hosed me up at 1st because I didn't realize red was a boss/minboss and Orthrus went 1st and promptly killed my Angel and severely damaged everyone except Pele, but then I must have over prepared because I wrecked him the next time.

i keep one or two with debuffs for bosses, the evade/hit debuff is always really strong in SMT

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I guess I'm just used to thinking only in terms of fighting with a main party, but does it make sense to just keep a demon or 2 that's just for buffing/debuffing and then swap them out after the buffs are up? Should swapping be a big part of how I think about how to approach battles?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I know some people would crucify me for this but i kinda miss smirk.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
First SMT game, is easy the recommended difficulty? I know I can change, so I started with normal, but I was curious what other people were doing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

First SMT game, is easy the recommended difficulty? I know I can change, so I started with normal, but I was curious what other people were doing.

I'd say normal seems about fine. I never found that the games really 'needed' to be played on Hard to be enjoyable. But obviously if you find it too easy take it up a notch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MorningMoon posted:

This whole time I was under the assumption I would walk up to a gamestop and purchase a copy of this video game.

I've been slowly realizing that may not happen.

I work at a best buy and we got (1) copy of it.

I'm gonna go to gamestop when they open since I got money there, but at 1am I, well, that 1 copy in our store...

https://twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/125437560418865152

edit: saw an unboxing video and nahhhhhhhh, if it had the DLC included i'd bite, but at this point, i'm better off either getting lucky with gamestop or just buying digital

My old roommate works at Best Buy; he said my preorder is one of three copies they're getting in today. It's not even mentioned in the weekly ad!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What exactly do the Mastery miracles do?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My dad works in video game distribution and he's said this has been a nightmare, with product being sent to wrong states left and right. Alot of places just didn't get any at all lol.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd say normal seems about fine. I never found that the games really 'needed' to be played on Hard to be enjoyable. But obviously if you find it too easy take it up a notch.

I believe it said you can only start on Hard but can change it down mid-game, you can't start on Normal and then bump it to hard.

That said, I feel that Normal should be a good enough experience so far. It's been challenging in parts!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Spermando posted:

What exactly do the Mastery miracles do?

Gives you Potential levels, basically. Like how a Pixie has a Healing Potential, so her healing spells are cheaper and more effective. I don't know the precise breakpoints for it in V.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Hey to those further in, a slight spoilerish question: should I hold onto Pixie or just fuse her? In Nocturne, she evolved, and didn't she unlock something late game if you keep her. I just wanna know if I can fuse a High Pixie asap or if I'm locking myself out of anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My dad works in video game distribution and he's said this has been a nightmare, with product being sent to wrong states left and right. Alot of places just didn't get any at all lol.

for some reason the trucks carrying them kept getting randomly teleported around

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Any news on what the best protag build is yet? History says str good but who knows if that’s the case.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m going to be a magic man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sloth Socks posted:

Hey to those further in, a slight spoilerish question: should I hold onto Pixie or just fuse her? In Nocturne, she evolved, and didn't she unlock something late game if you keep her. I just wanna know if I can fuse a High Pixie asap or if I'm locking myself out of anything.

No reason to hold onto her.

hopeandjoy posted:

Any news on what the best protag build is yet? History says str good but who knows if that’s the case.

Str good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My SMTV copy will be delivered today! Any time between now and 9 PM CST! And I have to sign for it! Not that I typically go anywhere anyway but I was gonna try to go out and attend to some business but I guess not. Here's hoping it comes soon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I keep wondering where the hell I hear Amanozako's voice actress from. At least I thought she was Edea, but nope, it's loving Flayn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yo nahobino's sword is his own stretchy fingers

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the music in this game is out of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sloth Socks posted:

Just to clarify your Nocturne comparison in here (explanation of the mechanic but doesn't spoil the reward or the circumstance): It's not specifically Pixie that unlocked something late-game in Nocturne, it's the demon that's been with you the longest, and the thing is, fusions count. So Pixie could become let's Asparas who became Megami and after a few fusions ended up as Loki. When the time comes, if you offer up Loki, it's technically still got Pixie in him, so it counts and you can get the reward. How do you know which is the longest running demon? It's the first one in your list in Nocturne, always. The only way you can lose out on this reward is if you dismiss the demon in your first slot.