Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Somebody has to care so you don’t have to.

file systems have been a solved problem for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

josef bacik writes about upcoming on-disk format changes for btrfs

Extent-tree-v2: Global Roots and Block Group Root

from the writeup, it's pretty clear that the codebase and future changes are going to reflect Facebook's requirements, which (according to the autor) is heavily container based. So I guess btrfs may actually have a narrower niche in server computing than was widely considered... instead of using chattr to address various workloads, it might be better to just apply btrrs to straightforward container and NAS solutions.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tbh, having a file system where you can shotgun random garbage data across all the disks in an array while the system is serving hundreds of MB/s of data is pretty cool if your job includes storage janitoring. I've done that during tests with ZFS and the fs never once served a corrupted file.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

akadajet posted:

file systems have been a solved problem for decades

maybe for you

but pretty much 100% of major OS vendors have been releasing new filesystems in the past couple of years. Apple has their new apfs, Microsoft has ReFS, and various linux distros have been pushing btrfs, so feel free to stick with ext4 but even that will likely change if we have to switch to 64-bit timestamps or larger.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
File systems can be exciting - like when that guy killed his wife.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

murderfs

I always associate filesystems with statistical mechanics... the whole "that way lies madness" kind of deal

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh, having a file system where you can shotgun random garbage data across all the disks in an array while the system is serving hundreds of MB/s of data is pretty cool if your job includes storage janitoring. I've done that during tests with ZFS and the fs never once served a corrupted file.

this is what i've never understood about brtfs and zfs etc, why not use an actual cluster filesystem like idk ceph or something at that point, a single massive multi-block-device filesystem managed by a single os instance seems rather fragile and bottleneck-y.

if you have a 50tb collection of tentacle hentai on your home nas then i suppose btrfs might be a good fit for that particular use case

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You should, under no circumstances, contemplate creating your own file system. A spherical file system in a vacuum is easy enough to write (it'll just perform like arse), but you quickly gets into "100 falsehoods programmers believe about block devices"-territory and you won't make it out of there with your sanity intact.

The OpenZFS developers have my full emotional support, but i'll stand back here content to never touch that code ever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

maybe for you

but pretty much 100% of major OS vendors have been releasing new filesystems in the past couple of years. Apple has their new apfs, Microsoft has ReFS, and various linux distros have been pushing btrfs, so feel free to stick with ext4 but even that will likely change if we have to switch to 64-bit timestamps or larger.

yeah, and all a waste of time since NTFS already exists

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

this is what i've never understood about brtfs and zfs etc, why not use an actual cluster filesystem like idk ceph or something at that point, a single massive multi-block-device filesystem managed by a single os instance seems rather fragile and bottleneck-y.

if you have a 50tb collection of tentacle hentai on your home nas then i suppose btrfs might be a good fit for that particular use case
Clustered filesystems don't mean you don't have to have some amount of data availability (which is what all forms of RAID is about) on the individual parts of the cluster; look at what LLNL is doing with ZFS and Lustre on top, which provides storage for their HPC workloads using Sierra (a supercomputer currently #3 on TOP500).

BTRFS may look a lot like ZFS (including having lots of Oracle copyrights all over the codebase, lol), but I wouldn't trust it with my data - and neither does Facebook.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

Ceph/gluster are extremely complicated pieces of machinery with their own very pernicious behaviours.

You can, right now, order a 288TB raw storage whitebox server with 24 bays, safe in the knowledge that it'll run really well serving multiple 10gbps connected clients with, say, content for video editing or high resolution ground penetrating radar images. You buy a second one and asynchronously replicate your stuff to it.

It's really hard to beat that if you are working with a ton of data. ZFS also brings a good number of management features that make administration easier. Snapshots, instant quotas, reservations, extremely fast creation and destruction of file systems, unified interface, transparent compression (that one saves us about a third of space. With 100s of TB…)…

I'm serious when I say that ZFS is genuinely a nice part of my job because of how admin friendly it is.

May be stockholm syndrome, but normally, storage is pain.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh by the way, traditional backup tools take over 24h trying to do a daily backup of some of our file systems because they contain an ungodly amount of small files. It takes a ton of iops.

ZFS send/receive takes seconds and serialises all those small files into one sequential stream at hundreds of MB/s. It's so fast we can do it hourly at no performance impact.

That is what fully converted me to the church of ZFS.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but btrfs can do that too

and it's upstream

zfs is really a church

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Not to pick on BlankSystemDaemon, but I try to avoid getting any of my views from facebook.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rolleyes:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
now wheres nbsd to say that zfs is wrong, that the use cases it handles well like

Antigravitas posted:

Oh by the way, traditional backup tools take over 24h trying to do a daily backup of some of our file systems because they contain an ungodly amount of small files. It takes a ton of iops.

ZFS send/receive takes seconds and serialises all those small files into one sequential stream at hundreds of MB/s. It's so fast we can do it hourly at no performance impact.

That is what fully converted me to the church of ZFS.
should be addressed by bailing wire and duct tape solutions like lvm snapshots rather than native filesystem support for snapshots and incremental send/receive

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Lysidas posted:

should be addressed by bailing wire and duct tape solutions like lvm snapshots rather than native filesystem support for snapshots and incremental send/receive

Pfft a real hacker would deal with a cluttered file system with a dd bs=67108864 if=/dev/xxx | gzip > /dev/nst0

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I can't be the only one whose ever planned to deal with a catastrophic failure by finding a new job.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I feel ambivalent towards POSIX - it's one of the better examples of interoperability standards we have

it’d be hilarious to watch the Linux crowd try to actually pass the conformance suite without the ability to “well, ackshually…” anything

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Have you read Steve Jobs & the NeXT Big Thing? Because you really should.
Suffice it to say, there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses going around when it comes to NeXT and Steve Jobs.

none of the people I know who were there have anything good to say about that book

quote:

I know how teletypes communicated with minis - but I don't see how that affects the reality that multi-user environment still benefits Unix-likes to this day; if it wasn't a multi-user environment, there wouldn't be such a thing as dropping privileges and anything you might want to run on the machine (such as a web server) would run under the same user you're using.

there absolutely would because the actual privilege mechanisms used in the modern era are almost entirely decoupled from the UNIX user and group mechanisms because it turns out they’re the wrong level of granularity for end-user software and modern threat models

turns out, VMS got it right after all

“anything that runs as your user can modify anything owned by your user” is a bad model that leads to real users’ personal data being stolen by malicious software

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i am reading uh

UNIX, POSIX, and Open Systems (Addison-Wesley, 1992)

right now and its both the most boring but also most enthralling thing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I bought a synology NAS the other day and it uses btrfs

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

it’d be hilarious to watch the Linux crowd try to actually pass the conformance suite without the ability to “well, ackshually…” anything
But conformance suites don't test strict compliance, in that they don't care about what's outside of POSIX. I'm talking about only using these.

eschaton posted:

none of the people I know who were there have anything good to say about that book

there absolutely would because the actual privilege mechanisms used in the modern era are almost entirely decoupled from the UNIX user and group mechanisms because it turns out they’re the wrong level of granularity for end-user software and modern threat models

turns out, VMS got it right after all

“anything that runs as your user can modify anything owned by your user” is a bad model that leads to real users’ personal data being stolen by malicious software
I guess it depends on who're you're talking to; people I know from that era and my own vague recollections tell me that at least most of the accounts of Steve Jobs assholery are entirely correct, that the reports of NeXTs secrecy matches up with how Apple worked under Steve Jobs (and still does), as well as other things. :shrug:

I think I phrased myself poorly, my entire point was that not everything a modern user runs runs as their own user; before Firefox on FreeBSD got OSSv4 compatibility re-added (because Mozilla quietly broke and removed it), pulseaudio would run as the pulse user by default, and on the off-chance that I ever install a httpd on my laptop, it's configured to use the www user by default (and there's an entire list which maps processes to UIDs).

On top of that, with ACLs you get just about as much granularity as you could possibly want.

matti posted:

i am reading uh

UNIX, POSIX, and Open Systems (Addison-Wesley, 1992)

right now and its both the most boring but also most enthralling thing
I don't remember reading that, so I'm gonna pretend this is a bookclub and add it to my list of books to read, because a then-current account of ways to counteract the UNIX wars might be interesting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

But conformance suites don't test strict compliance, in that they don't care about what's outside of POSIX. I'm talking about only using these.

it occurs to me that the POSIX utilities specification has a standard ISO C compiler frontend specified but no assembler or linker

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

it occurs to me that the POSIX utilities specification has a standard ISO C compiler frontend specified but no assembler or linker
Who needs assemblers or linkers anyway? What've they ever done for us!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

neat, airlied is working on getting vulkan-facilitated video hw decode working on linux

https://airlied.blogspot.com/2021/11/h264-video-decoding-i-frames-strike-back.html

matti
Mar 31, 2019

I don't remember reading that, so I'm gonna pretend this is a bookclub and add it to my list of books to read, because a then-current account of ways to counteract the UNIX wars might be interesting.

keep notes, its an abbreviation hell

also ~~enterprise graphs~~

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
POSIX was such a lowest common denominator spec of what a UNIX implementation had to provide that IBM was able to build a POSIX compliant ( and UNIX branded maybe??? ) abi into MVS - os/390 - z/OS

that should tell you all you need to know about the value of something being POSIX compliant.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

fresh_cheese posted:

POSIX was such a lowest common denominator spec of what a UNIX implementation had to provide that IBM was able to build a POSIX compliant ( and UNIX branded maybe??? ) abi into MVS - os/390 - z/OS

that should tell you all you need to know about the value of something being POSIX compliant.

idk that is the o.g. POSIX.1 but the current (or even the previous) issue is pretty dece

and ofc no one should program against anything but SUS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

I mean, sure - but on the other hand, IBM also did AOS which was a 4.3BSD based OS for the IBM RISC Technology PC and was an alternative to AIX.

So clearly POSIX wasn't everything to everyone, even then.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
docs say its currently POSIX.2 compliant for shell, some utilities and kernel abi

and i think thats just nasty

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

So clearly POSIX wasn't everything to everyone, even then.

i simply cannot innovate when you make me comply with these silly standards

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the solution is innovative standards

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Probed via linus's tip. Makes that guy close to laport I guess.

When I said multi user, I definitely meant multiple simultaneous human users. Desktop linux was built on a bunch of technology revolving around and configured for multiple simultaneous users by default. When the super computer lab I worked in (college) got rid of their x-terminals, the Linux club was able to hook them up to their dual pentium pro system. It was a pretty stock install of debian and all it took was changing some xdm configuration and a line in the default shell profile. They complemented the vt220s nicely.

I spent about an hour playing with the windows terminal services hack on old windows (xp). The big thing I noticed was file handle leak when you closed the rdp session w/o logging out. The only thing I see it being useful for is allowing multiple people to use software that has a hardware DRM dongle. It's very much a hack, and you're going to run into problems without the rest of the application server toolkit.

edit: Human, flesh and blood users.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 12, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

wait is there a rule against posting linus tech tips

I didn't know that

e: does it count as anime

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Private Speech posted:

I didn't know that

We live under the capricious whims of our lord mods here. Praise be to merciful graph.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Private Speech posted:

I didn't know that

there is seriously no reason to ever engage with ltt

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
In this house we stan Anthony tech tips

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

linus seems fine to me if a bit dystopian in his love of consume consume consume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also he pronounces his own name wrong and builds monster gaming rigs for himself even though he doesn’t play video games