Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Khorne may be nervous about leaving the Brass Citadel to fight other Gods Daemons, because once when he did the Changeling snuck into the Brass Citadel and locked the doors on Khorne forcing him to break the doors down to get back to his throne. Then when he sat down he realized he sat on Nurglings the Changeling planted on the throne, getting his armor all dirty.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Khorne may be nervous about leaving the Brass Citadel to fight other Gods Daemons, because once when he did the Changeling snuck into the Brass Citadel and locked the doors are Khorne forcing him to break the doors down to get back to his throne. Then when he sat down he realized he sat on Nurglings the Changeling planted on the throne, getting his armor all dirty.

I can't tell if this is canon or not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

neonchameleon posted:

Just assume that it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

Yes this is a thing that actually happened in the lore.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'gods are roughly human formed and also just as stupid' or 'gods are unknowable forces' are the only two options I ever accept so Khorn has to absolutely be as dumb and easy to goad as the stories tell.
Probably has thousands of avatars fighting a million perceived slights at any moment on different levels of existence mortals can barely conceive of, that bigass pileup of ants you saw on the side of the road tearing a scorpion apart? Khorn was there and that rear end in a top hat scorpion knows what it did.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

The Exoskeleton Throne doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The Chitin Chair

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

no struggle is too petty, every fly having its innards sucked by a spider is a blow against nurgle personally.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Spiders are clearly chaos undivided.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

By popular demand posted:

'gods are roughly human formed and also just as stupid' or 'gods are unknowable forces' are the only two options I ever accept so Khorn has to absolutely be as dumb and easy to goad as the stories tell.
Probably has thousands of avatars fighting a million perceived slights at any moment on different levels of existence mortals can barely conceive of, that bigass pileup of ants you saw on the side of the road tearing a scorpion apart? Khorn was there and that rear end in a top hat scorpion knows what it did.

The reason they're not turning every fight around is because half of his avatars are fighting the other half.

This also reminds me of Thief of Time by Pratchett, where War is overseeing the battle of two ant hives against each other.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Precambrian posted:

Khorne's terrible secret is that he's the war god in a war game setting called Warhammer, and people are here to do wars regardless of what he does. So he just sits back and lets everyone else do the "spreading violence" work.

I tend to slant Khorne more toward "embodiment of hatred" than "mindless violence and slaughter" in my take on Hams, so the fact that Khorne just chills on his throne while extolling his followers to throw themselves into the meat grinder for the glorious noble purpose of (INSERT SUPREMACY HERE) works really well for me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Spiders are clearly chaos undivided.

I mean with the latest Warcry warband release you're not too far off with that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

a master tailor is putting the finishing touches on an amazing garment when tragedy happens and the tailor pricks his hand with the needle and bleeds on the priceless cloth!
the garment will be cleaned but it will never be perfect

"gently caress YOU SLAANESH" laughs/howls Khorn

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

a master tailor is putting the finishing touches on an amazing garment when tragedy happens and the tailor pricks his hand with the needle and bleeds on the priceless cloth!
the garment will be cleaned but it will never be perfect

"gently caress YOU SLAANESH" laughs/howls Khorn

I could absolutely see that happening. I love that the biggest advantage that Order has is the Chaos gods being such petty assholes to each other.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
The entire series of Yakuza video games are just khornite parables against tzeentch, because every time the incredibly complicated master plan hatched by the villains is foiled by one-to-four guys who punch and kick real good.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I once had a WFRP idea of a guy who achieves Daemon Prince by going outside wearing a really nice hat, gaining the approval of Chaos Undivided.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Demon Prince of Necoho the Doubter. He doubts he is a demon prince and denies all accusations there of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Benagain posted:

Khorne's horrifying secret is that while he is powered by blood he is also a huge weenie and enjoys watching more than doing.

This is pretty much the original Ares of Greek myth. Loves war in theory, literally runs home crying to mommy when he actually gets hurt.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is pretty much the original Ares of Greek myth. Loves war in theory, literally runs home crying to mommy when he actually gets hurt.

That because all the myths we have about him were the ones written by the Athenians.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

That because all the myths we have about him were the ones written by the Athenians.

Why Athenians? Athens is one of the only two places where we know for sure there was a temple to Ares.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 13, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Epicurius posted:

Why Athenians? Athens is one of the only two places where we know for sure there was a temple to Ares.

I'm looking forward to more stuff about Valkia. I recall a different but very cool take on her from an RPG write-up blog, but I'd like to see a bit of the original version.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Epicurius posted:

Cause Athenians thought Ares sucked for the the most part. And that their patron Athena was much cooler.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm getting Mothership ads everywhere, and it looks cool, but it is any different from the time that one goon reviewed it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause Athenians thought Ares sucked for the the most part. And that their patron Athena was much cooler.

Yea, but again, Athens and Metropolis are the only two Greek cities where we know there were temples to Ares. (Pausanias also says there was one in Troezen and shrines to him in or near Sparta, as well as a few in Arcadia), so Athens seemed to be a center of cult worship of Ares, if nothing else.

Also, the "Ares flees the battlefield after getting hurt" thing isn't an Athenian myth. It comes from the Illiad.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Who was it that had a statue of Nike chained to the city square so that Victory could never abandon them?

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

JcDent posted:

I'm getting Mothership ads everywhere, and it looks cool, but it is any different from the time that one goon reviewed it?

We don't know yet. While they've definitely made changes it's not known if they're substantial enough to sell people on it who don't like it currently.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

JcDent posted:

Wapole Languray posted:

We don't know yet. While they've definitely made changes it's not known if they're substantial enough to sell people on it who don't like it currently.
Based on the description of the rules changes on the Kickstarter page, they've addressed some of my issues with the agonizingly dull combat, but not my problems with the clunky sanity system. My larger issues with a lack of rules to support the playstyle that's clearly intended for the game (space truckers taking dangerous jobs to pay off the debt they owe on their spaceship) seem like the kind of thing that will be addressed by the new GM book. But Wapole is right, I don't have the new rules in front of me to confirm whether that's the case.

Until I get more info, I'm sitting the Kickstarter out. The books look slick, but so do the 0E ones I already have, and currently they don't do anything but sit on my shelf.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Why the need to reinvent the wheel on sanity systems? there's at least a couple good ones about.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Based on the description of the rules changes on the Kickstarter page, they've addressed some of my issues with the agonizingly dull combat, but not my problems with the clunky sanity system. My larger issues with a lack of rules to support the playstyle that's clearly intended for the game (space truckers taking dangerous jobs to pay off the debt they owe on their spaceship) seem like the kind of thing that will be addressed by the new GM book. But Wapole is right, I don't have the new rules in front of me to confirm whether that's the case.

Until I get more info, I'm sitting the Kickstarter out. The books look slick, but so do the 0E ones I already have, and currently they don't do anything but sit on my shelf.

Yeah, I'm considering pulling my pledge at this point. Really not a fan of any of the changes made from 0e to 1e and to get a game I actually like out of MoSh I'd be writing my own, basically.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Why the need to reinvent the wheel on sanity systems? there's at least a couple good ones about.

If you don't mind, I would like to know which ones make sanity a good mechanic - the only one I have direct experience with is Delta Green's, and I feel like it misses the mark in a couple places.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen a game where Sanity was a "good" mechanic. Some where it was an easily ignored one, but never a good one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Unknown Armies' system (also used in the free NEMESIS) is pretty good in my opinion and I'm sure some games use an abstract Strain meter you can't clear while the forces of darkness are breathing down your neck.

I also liked how DRYH did things but it's a very specific type of personal horror.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakxos posted:

If you don't mind, I would like to know which ones make sanity a good mechanic - the only one I have direct experience with is Delta Green's, and I feel like it misses the mark in a couple places.
Ultimately the question is what you are trying to modelling. Call of Cthulhu's system is solid for tracking the explicit situation of Lovecraft-style protagonists who encounter horrible truth and suffer mental strain and develop problems from it; my own objection is it being tagged "Sanity" which has a number of problems, but the broad idea of "you have mental hit points, which can be depleted by certain encounters, and replenished by other causes, and which will cause you issues well before you hit zero" is workable... if that's your intended goal.

If the idea is to model the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and struggling with them, something like UA's is better - more granular.

And for yet another purpose you'd have to roll your own, you just have to actually define a purpose.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

PurpleXVI posted:

So I realize it's a quite unlikely roll, but what's the asterisk for being a spawn of the King?

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Also I like that not only was that death, like, A Death, but you got to roll to see how bad of a death it was, and not only does it have a 75% chance of death, but the remaining 25% is that the wound gets worse

Angrymog posted:

I think that the last category is that it goes from Near Fatal back down to Serious.
Yeah, wounds go Light -> Incapacitating -> Serious -> Near-Fatal, so your wound becoming Serious is actually your health improving, the writer just forgot to capitalize "serious" there. I'll do a more thorough covering of the wound system when I get to it, the whole thing is pretty entertaining in a grisly, Dark Heresy-esque way. I didn't even get into the Amputation Survival table!

Privateers and Gentlemen, Part 3

So last time, our nascent PC died, which is a decidedly suboptimal result when making a character. Unlike, say, black box Traveller, dying is pretty unlikely in Privateers and Gentlemen - the chance of something bad happening to your character is pretty small, and even if you are wounded, the 1d6 damage you take is pretty survivable if you don't take the max to the head and then roll poorly on all of the wound tables. Still, it's possible.

Anyway, it's time to bring on the next twit! :wotwot:

We're going to speed through everything Vivian already covered, to keep this brief. Stats and Aptitudes!

code:
Strength 13, Sense Acuity 9, Mass 17, Constitution 14, Intelligence 16, Dexterity 11, Intuition 11, Charisma 7
Strike +5, Shoot +5, Parry +0
I rolled three sets like last time, this is just the best one.

Big as gently caress, smart, and tough, but with all the charm you would expect of someone named "St. John-Mollusc". Skills!

code:
SKILLS
Astronomy 16, Biology 1, Carriage Driving 19, Chemistry 1, Climb 12, Dance 11, First Aid 4, Forgery 4, 
General Knowledge 4, Geology 1, Haggle 12, Hide 15, History 16, Law 4, Literary Gent 3, Lockpick 4, 
Make Speech 13, Mapmaking 16, Mechanics 3, Move Quietly 9, Play Instrument 0, Pick Pocket 1, Ride 5, Shipwright 16, 
Sing 6, Swim 9, Weather Prediction 16, Write Own Language 16, Write Foreign Language (French) 16 (Latin) 12

Gunnery 16, Ship Quality 16, General Seamanship 16
Also, he gets two extra languages (French 81 and Latin 58) and is right-handed. He gets bonus points from Intelligence and Social Level, but I'll wait to stick those in until later when we know more about Oliver than "British twit". Time for Social Level.

code:
Social Level: 	66 - Gentleman
Family:		Legit. fourth son; Father living - serving as Master and Commander in Navy
Other: 		Allowance (10 pounds)
66 is "Gentleman or Clergyman", so I flipped a coin.

Unlike Vivian, Oliver's father is not only alive, but still in the Navy! That could be helpful. Onto his career as a midshipman, where Vivian got cut short last time. First up, I rolled a 1, so he joined the Navy at 19, which will allow him to immediately try for promotion after his year as a midshipman. Next:

Oh dear.

Don't worry, I rolled a 76, so Oliver has avoided any untimely head injuries, at least for now. What now?

...I rolled a 2. :coronatoot:

So what is the "Disease Survival Procedure"?

Note that this is actually preceded by a lot of :words: about scurvy and smallpox and yellow fever and all of the other horrible ways you could die of disease in the 18th century, but oddly, every single illness is just the one table without any modifiers for the kind of disease or similar.

Oh, right, I have to roll some dice.

Goddammit, no, we only have a limited supply of twits, I can't keep losing them like this. Fortunately, there's an addendum to the chart:

Constitution is pretty nice to have in this game.

That's right, Oliver St. John-Mollusc, with his above-average Constitution of 14, is incapable of dying of disease. Oliver is laid up for 77 weeks (almost a year-and-a-half!) with, let's say scurvy because it's fun to say, but survives, albeit with a couple of points shaved off his Con that will make any future instances of scurvy somewhat dicier. He rejoins the Navy at the first opportunity and proceeds on his way through character creation. Thankfully, we're done with the roll-to-see-if-you-died portion; we roll to see if we achieved Notice. What is Notice?

Whether you've been noticed, of course. Notice isn't a score, by the way; either you have it or you don't. Oddly enough, there don't appear to be any explicit ways to lose Notice, even though there are plenty of chances to gain it. Also, despite the game talking it up, the mechanical effects are fairly minor, and it mostly is just vague "good things might happen to you if you have it". Anyway, for a midshipman, it's a d100 roll, trying to get 96-100. There are a number of modifiers for various things from Social Level to Charisma, but Oliver's only modifier is that he gets +15 for having a father currently in the service. I roll a 73, though, so it doesn't help.

Next up, we get a chance to improve our Intelligence skills; those are Gunnery, Ship Quality, and General Seamanship. You roll 3d6 and try to roll under-or-equal to (20 - Intelligence); so it's easier to improve your skills if you're a dumbass and they started to low, but it gets harder as they improve. As a midshipman, we get two rolls for each skill:
code:
Gunnery: 9, 10 
Ship Quality: 11, 12 
Gen. Seamanship: 4, 12
Surprisingly, Oliver manage to bump up his General Seamanship by one, which is very nice. This directly ties into the next part, too, promotion, which is just a 3d6 roll-under-or-equal to your General Seamanship. I don't roll triple sixes, so Oliver gets bumped up to Lieutenant and exits character creation alive and well! :toot:

There are still a couple of things to take care of: first, we get prize money each year as a midshipman, which is a pretty wide range of 1d6 times 1d20. I get 4 and 6 for a total of 24 pounds. We also get our allowance of 10 pounds every year (which is two, due to Oliver's 1.48 years in bed). Then, if you remember, we also have to roll each year to see what happens to our father. This is a bunch of rolls that I'm not going to type out, but the upshot is that in our second year, father dearest bites it (:rip:). We make off with 500 pounds from the inheritance, though! Score! Oliver is now rolling in 544 pounds. :homebrew:

Oliver can't just blow that all on booze, though, we do need to actually buy him some equipment with that, as there's no default provided. There's a giant list of stuff to buy, but what we need is, according to the game:

We also need a watch, which is stated earlier.

All together, this runs us 26 pounds. What else could we buy with our remaining 518 pounds? Well, my favorite item on the chart is the "borough", as in what was essentially considered, legally speaking, to be an entire loving town in England, thereby allowing you to functionally own a seat or two in the House of Commons. However, at a whopping 200,000 pounds it's slightly out of our price range. There's all sorts of other stuff on the chart that has no mechanical effect, like cabin furnishings of various levels of fancifulness, plus stuff that's of dubious use at best on a ship, like horses, but let's not worry about that for the moment and just grab the stuff that would actually be useful in a game.

First up: We need a wig.

Like so.

As you can see from the portrait of this real-life toff (Admiral Cloudesley Shovell (seriously)), wigs in the time period of the game had a tendency to be loving gargantuan. So large, in fact, that they count as armor:

:allears: We'll pony up 12 pounds for a dress wig and 2 for a non-dress wig, keeping Oliver both fashionable and safe. What else? Well, we could upgrade our sword, which is merely "acceptable", but a "good" sword costs literally ten times as much (2 v. 20) and provides no actual mechanical benefit. The best type, a "superb" sword, does have a single mechanical benefit, but it's of, um, questionable value.

From the critical failure table, which you roll on if you get a 96-100 on an attack, then fail a Dex check.

A superb sword costs 100 pounds in exchange for that, so we'll skip it. We do need pistols, though, in case someone is inconsiderate enough to not put themselves within stabbing distance. Like swords, there are three grades of pistols: ordinary, dueling, and rifled. They all do the same damage, but get better range as you upgrade. There are also double-barreled pistols and duckfoot pistols. We'll pick up a dueling pistol (20 pounds), a pair of ordinary pistols (2 pounds each), and a duckfoot pistol (50 pounds), because why not? Oliver is left with 432 pounds, which is a nice enough reserve for any future needs.

With that, we're finally done with character creation! Oliver's final character sheet:

code:
Name: Oliver St. John-Mollusc

STR 13, SA 9, MA 17, CON 12, INT 16, DEX 11, INU 11, CHA 07
Gunnery 16, Ship Quality 16, General Seamanship 17
Strike 5, Shoot 5, Parry 0

SKILLS
Astronomy 16, Biology 1, Carriage Driving 19, Chemistry 1, Climb 12, Dance 11, First Aid 4, Forgery 4, 
General Knowledge 4, Geology 1, Haggle 12, Hide 15, History 16, Law 4, Literary Gent 3, Lockpick 4, 
Make Speech 13, Mapmaking 16, Mechanics 3, Move Quietly 9, Play Instrument 0, Pick Pocket 1, Ride 5, Shipwright 16, 
Sing 6, Swim 9, Weather Prediction 16, Write Own Language 16, Write Foreign Language (French) 16 (Latin) 12

Languages:	English, French 81, Latin 58
Handedness: 	Right
Social Level: 	66 - Gentleman
Family:		Legit. fourth son; Father deceased, served as Master and Commander in Navy
Gear: 		432 pounds; Uniform (dress), uniform (regular) x2, shoes (dress), shoes (regular) x2, wig (dress), wig (regular), 
		sword (acceptable), pistol (dueling), pistol (ordinary) x2, pistol (duckfoot), watch
Next time: Oliver St. John-Mollusc gets a job.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That Charisma just screams 'first officer to be shot in a mutiny' hopefully no shipping mishap occurs.
:hehe:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Master of carriage driving and hideous ailments, well protected by wig.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The disease was clearly smallpox or possibly syphilis - scarring or facial lesions would handily explain the terrible charisma.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

The disease was clearly smallpox or possibly syphilis - scarring or facial lesions would handily explain the terrible charisma.

Being half-mollusc also explains it pretty well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Scars people get over, a bad personality never stops making you enemies.
:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tulul posted:

All together, this runs us 26 pounds. What else could we buy with our remaining 518 pounds? Well, my favorite item on the chart is the "borough", as in what was essentially considered, legally speaking, to be an entire loving town in England, thereby allowing you to functionally own a seat or two in the House of Commons. However, at a whopping 200,000 pounds it's slightly out of our price range. There's all sorts of other stuff on the chart that has no mechanical effect, like cabin furnishings of various levels of fancifulness, plus stuff that's of dubious use at best on a ship, like horses, but let's not worry about that for the moment and just grab the stuff that would actually be useful in a game.

Is it actually viable to start with enough money to buy your own English town? :v: Like maybe if you're a son of the king and he bites it and you roll super high on your inheritance?

Because it would be pretty funny to have the game start with "Alright lads, we're buying a town, putting to shore, resigning our commissions. Let's be politicians, I bet we have better combat stats than anyone in parliament."