Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dimebags Brain posted:

After getting just a taste of NOSAWA in his Dragon Gate appearance, I can't imagine you NOAH sickos sitting through a 20 minute singles draw with him.
And now imagine that he's the best wrestler in that match. Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sometimes he gets punched in the face really hard and that's a dopamine hit.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

The only live show scheduled for the 14th is the YOSHIHIKO talk show

i'm excited

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

sometimes he gets punched in the face really hard and that's a dopamine hit.

It's what made his match on The Universal Vol.2 the best on the card

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Struggling to think of a good U.S. comparison to NOSAWA, who sucks, isn't over, and always puts himself in high-profile positions. Complete lack of self-awareness.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ditch posted:

Struggling to think of a good U.S. comparison to NOSAWA, who sucks, isn't over, and always puts himself in high-profile positions. Complete lack of self-awareness.

Nick Aldis?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ditch posted:

Jeff Jarrett at certain points.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Cody Rhodes (jk ilu Cody)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ditch posted:

Vince Russo?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
-Jarrett never understood that he was a midcard talent that put himself in main events, but at least he was midcard talent. NOSAWA is opening match trash.

-Russo definitely lacked self-awareness, but he was at least a reasonably good promo and wasn't wrestling all that often.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Venomous posted:

Vince Russo?

NOSAWA was a journeyman wrestler before getting the book, it'd be more like if, like, Kevin Thorn ended up booking ROH and keeping himself booked prominently.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the best analogue for NOSAWA is your average indie guy who starts a godawful promotion+training school so that they finally get booked, even if only by themselvs.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
yeah, but then CyberAgent bought that indie.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the best analogue for NOSAWA is your average indie guy who starts a godawful promotion+training school so that they finally get booked, even if only by themselvs.

Ian Rotten?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I watched a lot of 2000s IWA:MS and he wasn't pushing himself too hard. Scumbag and often delusional but he also knew that the guys he flew in were way more talented, and that fans cared about seeing them more than him. ZANDIG would be much closer...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ditch posted:

I watched a lot of 2000s IWA:MS and he wasn't pushing himself too hard. Scumbag and often delusional but he also knew that the guys he flew in were way more talented, and that fans cared about seeing them more than him. ZANDIG would be much closer...

And honestly, Rotten gets a harder time than he deserves as an in-ring guy. I always liked the description of his non-death match stuff as Battlarts on meth (think Phil Schneider or one of those guys coined that). Not amazing or anything but he could do some fun stuff.

NOSAWA is like if you gave Honky Tonk Man the book. Though even then the comparison doesn't really work because HTM was over at some point in his career.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Zandig is an actual top star though.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Today's NOAH show looks very good on paper, but i'm really scared they're going to finish the show with Mutoh beating Kiyomiya loving AGAIN

Counting all tag matches between the two, right now Mutoh is up 7-2-1 over Kiyomiya for the year and 10-3-1 lifetime. That's goddamn unacceptable, Kiyomiya should not be winless in singles matches (2L, 1D) against a 58 year old man that can't walk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nosawa ending up an executive at LIDET before quitting GLEAT and LIDET always seemed wild to me. Imagine walking into a boardroom and seeing that dude.

I assume Kaito finally beats Mutoh at the Budokan but who knows.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Given the record, hasn't Mutoh made Kitomiya look like a scrub that even a win for Kaito wouldn't help?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 13, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mutoh is still such a big name and has kept himself booked strong enough that I think Kaito beating him on a big stage like the Budokan would be a big deal. Kaito's still young enough that he'd be a young boy doing jobs to people a lot further down the pecking order than Mutoh in most promotions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

at least now, NOSAWA is ironically bad. I remember when his grappling was so bad he was getting ate up by random puebla dudes.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
it is objectively funny and awesome that someone who started down this road by making sure folks on excursion and training in mexico got dinner is now one of the ten or twenty most powerful people in japanese wrestling and he did a dragongate main event last week where he gave one of their future big stars absolutely nothing, pinned the other star in the match in his home promotion, and then had the person who was the flashpoint of one of dg's biggest scandal to do a go home promo when their name was not to be uttered for well over a decade

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

and then had the person who was the flashpoint of one of dg's biggest scandal to do a go home promo when their name was not to be uttered for well over a decade

holy gently caress, I had absolutely no idea about this:

The Dragon Gate Monkey Abuse Scandal posted:

Concern grew when Dragon Gate rookie RYOMA [nb: now YO-HEY in NOAH] began posting pictures that appeared to show the abuse of a monkey that lived at the dojo. The monkey, a macaque named Kora, had lived in the dojo for around a decade before the pictures were posted. RYOMA had started a blog detailing the abuse from the monkey's perspective (including posting graphic pictures) and, when Dragon Gate officials found out about it, they immediately closed it. But the word was out and the damage had been done. Fans were disgusted at the abuse, which included choking, burning and punching the monkey amongst other shameful acts (such as getting her drunk on Sake). RYOMA was fired from the promotion and others who had been involved in the abuse were forced to issue an apology and shave their heads as punishment, as well as being fined heavily. Thankfully, Kora was transferred to a foster home and there were no more reported incidences of abuse.

(from https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-shocking-japanese-wrestling-incidents-that-you-need-to-know-about?page=9)

gently caress YO-HEY, and gently caress NOSAWA for bringing him back into Dragon Gate.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Seems like every few months someone new finds out about the DG monkey

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It was horrible but it was also what, 15 years ago. Everything I've seen has implied YO-HEY is much more mature & learned from that hosed up episode. At what point, if he's shown he's not the same person anymore, is he allowed to be allowed to make a living?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fwiw YO-HEY was a young boy at the time and definitely not the ringleader of the monkey abuse, just the one dumb enough to blog about it.

(I think Shingo blogged about having to recover the monkey when it escaped too?)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There did always seem an air of "scapegoat" about him, "he's expendable". But it's also hard for me to know when all I've read on it have been other people's comments on it because I don't read Japanese.

Anyway, to go back to a previous topic, gently caress NOSAWA. Getting to a point where I'm not sure I can go on watching NOAH any more, it's too enraging.

Me: "NOAH, sack NOSAWA for fucksake, find someone else, anyone could do a better job with Kiyomiya than him"
NOAH: "OK, your new head booker is Dick Togo, & his big plan is for Kiyomiya to win every match by Dick Togo choking his opponent with a garrotte :smuggo:"
Me: "gently caress this world"

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 13, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tgurentaifujit/status/1459447978398076931

A: THAT BELT

B: Really good to see Fujita looking more like himself. He looked like he lost a TON of weight while he was in the hospital.

C: That little pikachu cookie makes me think Fujita and crew auditioned for a baking show and that cookie was all they could make, but they're daring the judge to say anything bad about it.

D: THAT BELT

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

fwiw YO-HEY was a young boy at the time and definitely not the ringleader of the monkey abuse, just the one dumb enough to blog about it.

(I think Shingo blogged about having to recover the monkey when it escaped too?)

it’s very much a situation that through time and how the internet works (like what was cached at the time and people playing the telephone game) really colors your opinion of it. yo-hey for sure was a young boy who just recently got his full time gimmick, but he was also a guy who posted a blog going “look at all this trouble this dipshit monkey got into!” the passage of time turned this into being a whistleblower/scapegoat when that really wasn’t the case.

the person who appears to have done the abuse was the trainee that was kicked out who apparently tried out for other promotions/trained with them after this until everyone realized how bad optically it was and I think he’s out of wrestling now.

Shingo, I believe was the dojo manager at the time who did have to catch the monkey escaping several times, which led into him be one of the big monkey abusers because the only things that survived 2ch and the original reporting was him having to shave his head because he was in charge of the dojo. There was a rather gruesome photo of someone with really thick forearms grabbing the monkey by the neck that still goes around that folks always say was Shingo but there never was any evidence that it was and at the time the reporting/investigation said it was the dojo kid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the consensus on that photo was that the arms were too pale to be Shingo.

IIRC the whistleblower was Araken who was the previous dojo manager.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the consensus on that photo was that the arms were too pale to be Shingo.

IIRC the whistleblower was Araken who was the previous dojo manager.

Yup! He saw the blog and said “that’s hosed up to be posting it and what’s going on with the monkey.”

At the time and really in the twelve years sense I question how much Kagetora was involved because he had the head shave and deduction that CIMA/the owner/Shingo got and was really punished in booking for the next few years. Maybe it’s his arm. Tozawa got implicated but had zero punishment which makes me think that he was living in the dojo and would have had authority + CIMA and the former owner really hated Tozawa.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

YO-HEY's my dude. He's cool.

Also owning a monkey is very serious business and not a pet you just leave around a loving dojo like a stray cat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You shouldn't treat cats like that either.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Give YO-HEY the Jr title, he's way better than HAYATA

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SG Bamboo posted:

Give YO-HEY the Jr title, he's way better than HAYATA

I think they're positioning them to be the new generation KENTA vs Marufuji. HAYATA turning on YO-HEY hurt me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm ignoring such obvious bait

Anyway, the incredibly accelerated development of the Saito Twins in AJPW continues: they announced at the start of the RWTL opening night that they are going on excursion to the US for 4-6 months in the new year. I would assume this will mean showing up in MLW & whatever other northeastern indies they can get booked for. Does seem extremely premature, can't imagine they wouldn't come along quicker just staying working in the Dojo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SAKAMOTO & Mashimo look like they'll be a fun team, even though I didn't think they got much chance to show it in a very short match.

What was fun was TE vs BJW. Omori got colour & Drew had a fun pose with him for the cameras that should be in ShuPro. TOTAL schmozz that makes a mockery of having a referee, and we for no where near enough Drew Parker & far too much Abby, but I smiled throughout. Oh yeah, Abby got a fork embedded in his head for a bit, that was a fun visual.

Main event was NEXTREAM vs Stronghearts and obviously that ruled.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYru22qg3Ig

GLEAT 9 is up. Haven't watched it yet but the card looks fun.

Jun Masaoka & Shigehiro Irie vs. Daisan Seiryoku (KAZMA SAKAMOTO & Quiet Storm)
Ayako Sato vs. Michiko Miyagi vs. Madeline
Minoru Tanaka vs. Keiichi Sato
STRONGHEARTS (El Lindaman, Issei Onitsuka & T-Hawk) vs. Coelacanths (CIMA & Kaz Hayashi) & MUSASHI
Atsuki Aoyagi, Takanori Ito & Yu Iizuka vs. BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura, Nobuhiro Shimatani & Ryuichi Kawakami)

edit: Looks like they finally signed another joshi. Yukari Hosokawa AKA Rin Rin. This might be old news by now but they officially introduced her on the show.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So. NOAH, the world's most infuriating promotion, part 8,403: Watching the 28th October Kumamoto show & god drat. You've got an 8 man tag of LPdMdJ against Stinger & Yano & NOSAWA puts over Yano & it rules. Then you have Kongo vs Kotoge, Harada, Ohara, Marufuji & Tanaka & that slaps too, & then the National Title match between Sugiura & Mochizuki which is phenomenal. And so even though I know what is about to happen in the GHC Tag Team title match I'm still back on my poo poo with NOAH because drat when this company is good it's good.