Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Colonel Whitey posted:

I gotta admit, the idea of the US Government surgically removing a part of the country so it doesn’t have to deal with an asteroid strike is kinda funny

yeah that is a good bit, wish it was in something better lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

I gotta admit, the idea of the US Government surgically removing a part of the country so it doesn’t have to deal with an asteroid strike is kinda funny

I assumed given the dialogue that the President they had in mind was Trump.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Isn't it a little limiting to say that actors who are gay can only play gay characters?

It's a little limiting that, as far as I know, NPH has never been able to portray a gay character.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Alhazred posted:

It's a little limiting that, as far as I know, NPH has never been able to portray a gay character.

Exception that proves the rule: Harold and Kumar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looking at his IMDB profile I see he's an in episode of the UK series It's A Sin. I haven't watched the show but from what I've heard about it makes me think his character is likely gay in that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's not that uncommon of a premise. The most well known example is probably the Batman storyline No Man's Land (which was adapted in Gotham and was likely an inspiration for Dark Knight Rises) where they did that in response to a double whammy of a pandemic and an earthquake in Gotham City. Pretty sure there have been other examples.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Alhazred posted:

I think he's going to be in a new BBC series titled "It's a sin."

He also thinks it "sexy" when a gay actor plays a straight character.

https://ew.com/tv/neil-patrick-harris-straight-actors-playing-gay-characters-sexy/

article posted:

The openly gay actor, who is starring in It's a Sin, a new British miniseries about the AIDS epidemic, addressed the controversial issue in a recent interview with Britain's The Times, saying he "would definitely want to hire the best actor" for a given role.

"I'm not one to jump onto labeling. As an actor, you certainly hope you can be a visible option for all kinds of different roles," Harris added, noting, "I played a character for nine years that was nothing like me," in reference to How I Met Your Mother's Barney Stinson.

"I think there's something sexy about casting a straight actor to play a gay role if they're willing to invest a lot into it," the actor continued. "There's a nervousness that comes from the newness of it all. To declare that you'd never do that, you might miss opportunities."

Apparently the series creator, Russel T. Davies, was not in favor of Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy playing Professor X.

RTD posted:

Harris' comments were a response to recent remarks by It's a Sin creator Russell T Davies, who is also openly gay and created the original British version of the groundbreaking series Queer as Folk (which starred straight actors including Charlie Hunnam and Aidan Gillen as gay characters). Davies told the Radio Times that he now believes gay characters should be played by gay actors in the interest of "authenticity."

"I feel strongly that if I cast someone in a story, I am casting them to act as a lover, or an enemy, or someone on drugs or a criminal or a saint… they are not there to 'act gay' because 'acting gay' is a bunch of codes for a performance," Davies said. "You wouldn't cast someone able-bodied and put them in a wheelchair, you wouldn't Black someone up. Authenticity is leading us to joyous places."

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfgm20-LTM

I'm in

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Whoa

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Apparently the series creator, Russel T. Davies, was not in favor of Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy playing Professor X.

Honestly, I kinda agree with him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Honestly, I kinda agree with him.

Professor X can walk for all but the last few minutes of First Class. Casting a paraplegic actor would seem to demand either a lot of additional CG in the first two hours of the movie, or for McAvoy to make a pretty big sacrifice for his craft to get a more authentic closing shot of him in a wheelchair. Not sure even Christian Bale would go that far.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Professor X can walk for all but the last few minutes of First Class. Casting a paraplegic actor would seem to demand either a lot of additional CG in the first two hours of the movie, or for McAvoy to make a pretty big sacrifice for his craft to get a more authentic closing shot of him in a wheelchair. Not sure even Christian Bale would go that far.

Daniel Day-Lewis: "Pussies" *aims revolver at his own spine*

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

That looks incredible

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Daniel Day-Lewis: "Pussies" *aims revolver at his own spine*

lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Does that movie hold up? Only seen it the once

It's worth at least one rewatch, I think it's pretty fun. It's like a thousand times better an adaptation of a trashy potboiler than Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

looks pretty sick

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
New Baymax series from Disney+. Looks pretty fun (I loved Big Hero 6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYPrMk12zw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

This looks great, but the helldemons just seem so... Hulk-ish? Kinda seems outta place.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
lol I’m in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LqYHBgRgw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol me too

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, And She Hulk Trailers/first looks all dropped today:

Moon Knight:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1459208175018811396?s=20

She Hulk:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1459219463346262026?s=20

Ms. Marvel:
https://twitter.com/cosmic_marvel/status/1459207746201559042?s=20

They'll all be series...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MOCN KNIGHT

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Why do these look so cheap? She Hulk looks like a 90s ABC romance dramedy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No thank you.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Moon Knight looks good, or maybe its just Oscar isaac :smug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Moon Knight English? And if so, why did they need to make him English in this adaptation? That voice that Isaac is putting on, goddamn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Moon Knight English? And if so, why did they need to make him English in this adaptation? That voice that Isaac is putting on, goddamn.

Moon Knight is basically "crazy Batman" where he has multiple personalities.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, lol. Love Oscar Isaac, but that accent is atrocious lmao.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

teagone posted:

Yeah, lol. Love Oscar Isaac, but that accent is atrocious lmao.

I watched that and had to look it up on IMDb cause I was like "wait, isn't Oscar Isaac supposed to be in this"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Disney probably also shot themselves in the foot by going all "prestige TV" in their self-promotion ahead of these shows. They look fine and all, but in a CW way.

It's quite something that Hawkeye looks more interesting, and I can't stand MCU Clint.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

No, and neither are any of his personalities lol.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I hope Oscar Isaac goes even bigger than that Dick Van Dyke accent. Full Hardy as Venom or McAvoy as Mr. Split.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

clown shoes posted:

Why do these look so cheap? She Hulk looks like a 90s ABC romance dramedy.

because we're getting deep into the bronze age dreck.

mcu craze is following the exact same pop-culture arc as marvel comics did between late 60s and early 90s, except at twice the speed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

because we're getting deep into the bronze age dreck.

mcu craze is following the exact same pop-culture arc as marvel comics did between late 60s and early 90s, except at twice the speed.

Main difference being that as you go down into B and C list and so on it's not to supplement the A listers but to replace them.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
she hulk isn't hard just give her any muscle definition in green form in the slightest

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Could She Hulk's "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" line be anymore disinterested, boring and nonthreatening? That was super lame.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

Could She Hulk's "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" line be anymore disinterested, boring and nonthreatening? That was super lame.

It looked like a joke commercial for Jennifer Walter's law office and was probably done intentionally like the Ghostbusters "We're ready to belive you" commercial.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And also they're dressed like they're in the 60s so IDK if they're implying there's some sort of time travel or what

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Disney's MCU output is making Agents of Shield look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

And also they're dressed like they're in the 60s so IDK if they're implying there's some sort of time travel or what

Is that Ruffalo next to her? He kind of looks like he’s dressed like Bill Bixby from the old show.