Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Grendels Dad posted:

Just wanted to ask if anyone wanted to execute any orders,on this here page?

No?

Well, carry on then.

Go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CainFortea posted:

Yea, I didn't feel nostalgic the first time I watched star wars.

same. I was like 7 what would that even mean to a baby child

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Executive Order 67 was a proclamation signed by Chief of State Deelor Noedeel which ordered the Third Jedi Order to pursue diplomatic relations with the New Sith Order.
https://swfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Executive_Order_67

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Order 1 was an order in the Catperial Army and Navy. The order stated that all available forces were required to pursue any traitor who attempted to take control of a planet important to the Catpire.
https://swfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Order_1

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Just wanted to ask if anyone wanted to execute any orders,on this here page?

No?

Well, carry on then.

Come back in about 80 posts.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

indigi posted:

same. I was like 7 what would that even mean to a baby child

I never had a "first" viewing of Star Wars but I recall that it always had an air of being old-fashioned and "classic" and unlike other old classics I actually found this appealing about it, probably because I could sense it was on purpose and not simply due to age. Probably can't call that nostalgia, but I could sense its timelessness before I had the words for it.

I also remember watching the end of Return of the Jedi at 6 years old and having my mind completely and utterly blown. I was convinced I had just witnessed the greatest story ever told, and that it should be added to the bible.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
General Order 7 was a directive that forbade all contact with the planet Talos IV.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/General_Order_7

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My various poorly informed and stupid but enthusiastic ideas about a new Kingdom Hearts make me wonder, would Darth Vader appear as a Heartless even after the original is redeemed and dead?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My various poorly informed and stupid but enthusiastic ideas about a new Kingdom Hearts make me wonder, would Darth Vader appear as a Heartless even after the original is redeemed and dead?

I wouldn't think so. In general, the Disney villains aren't Heartless, they're just assholes. They decide to work with Xenahort and the Heartless for their own reasons. The impression that I got is that you couldn't be made Heartless if you were already a shithead without any help.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't most Kingdom Hearts levels start at some point before the end of the movie anyways? Darth Vader can go off on JRPG adventures and then repent for slaying anime Mickey Mouse later when he's dying on the Death Star.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't most Kingdom Hearts levels start at some point before the end of the movie anyways? Darth Vader can go off on JRPG adventures and then repent for slaying anime Mickey Mouse later when he's dying on the Death Star.

Depends on the movie, the Tangled and Frozen worlds infamously are just abridged retellings of the movies because apparently Disney wouldn't let them do anything else, while Monsters Inc takes place after the first movie (and is one of the ones where the plot actually ties into the overarching one, since both Monsters Inc and KH proper involve weaponised emotions) as well as some others do.

Apparently some real assholes appear as Heartless seperate from the originals but recognisable, even after the originals are dead, like Scar supposedly did. Would be fun to have a Darth Vader Heartless who's as much an incarnation of the terror and loathing that the figure inspired.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/michael_j_conte/status/1493773598657429509
https://twitter.com/michael_j_conte/status/1493856331421274113
https://twitter.com/michael_j_conte/status/1494358154666074122

Exciting new bloom-lore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There is nothing exciting about the prequels and their lovely effects.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the naboo starfighter and the pod race and Sebulba.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Found a screenshot of the tool, pretty gnarly

https://twitter.com/rodbogart/status/777676562426695681

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like the naboo starfighter and the pod race and Sebulba.

wow, weird, the one practical effects movie of the three is the one that actually stood up

who would have guessed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jazerus posted:

wow, weird, the one practical effects movie of the three is the one that actually stood up

who would have guessed

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

Found a screenshot of the tool, pretty gnarly

Nowadays compers usually have 2 monitors so the tools can be on one and the image on the other, and a bunch of artists looted monitors from the studios when WFH started so they wouldn't have to go back to this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jazerus posted:

who would have guessed

Attack of the Clones alone used more miniatures than the entire original trilogy combined, and I think Revenge of the Sith had more physical sets than the entire original trilogy combined.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well. That's obviously not true.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My source is well on its way to succumbing totally to link rot, so you may not find it persuasive.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's a bit of a game of telephone on how the prequels were made and why they look so bad. the practical effects were composited digitally, but that doesn't make them CGI. it also leads to arguments where people are talking past each other, with conversations "it looks bad because of [misunderstanding about how it was made]" and "wrong, actually it was made [a different way]." even if the latter is correct, it still looks bad

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Attack of the Clones alone used more miniatures than the entire original trilogy combined, and I think Revenge of the Sith had more physical sets than the entire original trilogy combined.

and yet they also involved the whole cast talking to invisible people in front of green screens in every scene while still trying to give non-phoned-in performances, something which led many of them to the verge of breakdowns and which has left every single one of them with a lasting hatred of george lucas, so who can say what is good or bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

My source is well on its way to succumbing totally to link rot, so you may not find it persuasive.

I don't find it persuasive because there are far more locations in the 3 OT combined than any one other movie in the series. Even if every single set in RotS was practical it still wouldn't have more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jazerus posted:

and yet they also involved the whole cast talking to invisible people in front of green screens in every scene while still trying to give non-phoned-in performances, something which led many of them to the verge of breakdowns and which has left every single one of them with a lasting hatred of george lucas, so who can say what is good or bad

The story of the actor having a breakdown about acting against a prop in front of a green screen was Ian McKellen working on The Hobbit, unless there's some other incident about Star Wars that I've never heard of. Certainly some of the actors in the prequels have acknowledged the difficulty of that kind of task, but this is the first I'm hearing of any bad blood they had with George Lucas personally. Do you have any more information about that? I'd really like to read about it.

CainFortea posted:

I don't find it persuasive because there are far more locations in the 3 OT combined than any one other movie in the series. Even if every single set in RotS was practical it still wouldn't have more.

I apologize. After thinking about it for a while, I remembered what it was that I was misremembering: a much more prosaic statistic to the effect that Revenge of the Sith's sets were all constructed in a single enormous sound stage.

The miniatures thing, however, is true. The dead image links in the linked thread were photos of the construction and filming of miniatures throughout the prequel trilogy. And the broader point is that all three of them use many different kinds of effects, including more practical effects than the originals (because they have far more effects overall).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
All the talk about unmotivated actors in the PT is really funny if you follow it while looking at the screenshot from that one interview with the ST cast where they all look pissed off or sad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Prequel trilogy actors: yeah I'll fight in the Star Wars

Sequel trilogy actors: just go to youtube and type John Boyega the star wars

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ian McKellen's "breakdown" is largely an anecdote about him being given a bunch of nice pillows by the cast:

quote:

He said: ''I had a miserable day. In order to shoot the dwarves and a large Gandalf, we couldn't be in the same set.

''All I had for company was 13 photographs of the dwarves on top of stands with little lights - whoever's talking flashes up. Pretending you're with 13 other people when you're on your own, it stretches your technical ability to the absolute limits.

''And I cried, actually. I cried. Then I said out loud, 'This is not why I became an actor'. Unfortunately the microphone was on and the whole studio heard.''

''The next day I went into my little tent and it had all been decorated beautifully. Remnants of Rivendell, carpets and cushions, fresh fruit and flowers, things that were hanging. It was lovely.''

I don't think it's the slam on the concept of cg sets that it gets reported as.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

Ian McKellen's "breakdown" is largely an anecdote about him being given a bunch of nice pillows by the cast:

I don't think it's the slam on the concept of cg sets that it gets reported as.

"It really sucked but a different scene set up more traditionally was nice" does seem to support the claim that acting in a CG void can be harrowing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I was assuming it was just a nice little tent they had on set for him to chill out in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

McKellen's point seems to have been that it's more difficult to act when the other actors aren't there when you're acting, not that it's difficult to act without a visible backdrop. Actors have been acting in a "void" for thousands of years, but typically they have done so together.

In that particular case, the effect that required him to do that wasn't CGI at all, but rather the series' famous scale trick, which, although it used a green screen, just replaces the chroma key with other footage. It's very much a practical effect.

There were a few scenes like that in Star Wars, but it was largely when the CGI character was too complex to be substituted by a puppet or by the character's voice or mocap actor, for instance against the monsters in the arena.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
What is “bloom”

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

indigi posted:

What is “bloom”

Bloom lighting. It's when a brightly lit or glowing object on the screen is surrounded by a sort of fuzzy glow or halo effect.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

tbh just imagine the look of any given attack of the clones shot, and that's probably what bloom looks like

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

indigi posted:

What is “bloom”

Bloom is the halo effect that sometimes appears in spots of very bright light when photographed - specifically when it "blooms" beyond the boundaries of the actual object being illuminated.

The reflections of the set lights on 3PO's head and shoulder here are blooming, and creating flares of light that extend beyond his actual body. If he were being filmed against a bluescreen, that semi-transparent light bloom would make it a lot harder to separate him from the background, especially if it were being filmed with primitive early 2000's digital cameras.

The prequels tried to implement fake bloom a lot of the time for scenes where characters were sitting in front of bright windows to help integrate the crisp edges of the characters against the bluescreen. It got better as they went along, but never really stopped looking like big soft blobs surrounding everything, because the interior and exterior are both properly exposed and you shouldn't really be getting any bloom at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really see the issue, but then I've also had my opinions adjusted by video games that went kinda bloom-crazy back when it was a new thing that could be done by graphics engines. Much like how when you look back at comics when they started to go digital, they go wild with gradients.

http://gangles.ca/2008/07/18/bloom-disasters/

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

indigi posted:

What is “bloom”

He played the elf

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

McKellen's point seems to have been that it's more difficult to act when the other actors aren't there when you're acting, not that it's difficult to act without a visible backdrop. Actors have been acting in a "void" for thousands of years, but typically they have done so together.

And the actors weren't there because they were digitally composited into the image later, a type of computer generated image. The void was one of loneliness, acting with no feedback from the other actors, because having them present posed insurmountable challenges for the later digital composite.

You are being pedantic and you're still not technically correct.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

And the actors weren't there because they were digitally composited into the image later, a type of computer generated image. The void was one of loneliness, acting with no feedback from the other actors, because having them present posed insurmountable challenges for the later digital composite.

You are being pedantic and you're still not technically correct.

It is commonly understood that compositing and generating images are separate processes, and that doesn't stop being true when they both use computers.

If, however, I somehow gave you the impression that I think acting without other actors isn't hard, then that was a failure of communication on my part, and I apologize. I thought your use of the phrase "CGI void" referred to a chroma key backdrop, where a set would be composited in later. A chroma key backdrop is fundamentally no different from a stage.

The breakdown discussed earlier was specifically about the difficulty of acting against many characters whose actors were absent from the set. McKellen's case was a very extreme one, where he was acting alone for a scene that that would have fourteen other characters densely interacting in a confined space. That's an extraordinary challenge for any actor, and understandably very stressful to attempt. But it isn't CGI that makes it so. The other characters in that scene weren't even CGI, just filmed separately. (And it also isn't the digital compositing that makes it so either, because similar fake-scale effects have been done many times with physical compositing.)

I am not aware of any actor coming to personally dislike George Lucas due to having been assigned challenging acting tasks, or having a breakdown for the same reason in the course of filming a movie with George Lucas. However, if it did happen, I would like to read about it so that I can share my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah, compositing (optical or digital) is distinct from CGI; its most basic form would be a split screen image, or picture-in-a-picture. You could call it an optical (or digital) effect, and the two (or many, many more) source images being composited could themselves be CGI, but it's not CGI in and of itself.