Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Fremen can have a little pee distilled water, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Danger posted:

After letting it simmer since dropping and rewatching a few others, I’m pretty set on this being my least favorite Villenueve film. Somehow it’s the blandest thing he’s made.

It doesn’t help that I watched The Green Knight soon after which is mesmerizing in comparison.

I think that's my take away as well. In a market saturated with bloated superhero movies where the action is hordes of faceless mooks getting slashed/punched in a swirling brown cloud of dull, Villenueve made a bloated superhero origin story where the action is hordes of faceless mooks getting slashed/punched in a swirling brown cloud of dull.

I think Villenueve is normally really good about working with environments, but the planets in this movie are just dull.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s almost as if DENIS wanted to make a Nolan film or something.

Totes makes me appreciate Lynch’s fevor dream landscapes even if the adaptation was way worse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

Does anyone have any theories what happened to Jamis to make him so grumpy that day?

up all night playin with his worm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jeeves posted:

It’s almost as if DENIS wanted to make a Nolan film or something.

Totes makes me appreciate Lynch’s fevor dream landscapes even if the adaptation was way worse.

I liked the austerity, the nailed all the upperclass folk basically living in walking around in their own tombs and the stagnation of society and stuff, I did appreciate how much of that they were able to get across with the scenery.

But drat the Harkonnen interiors/how flat the Baron was was a massive letdown. Like these are the richest people in the universe at that point and they live in like underground caves? The Baron has like zero emotion even after pulling off crushing the Atreides and him barely surviving getting killed by the Duke himself? Like what were they thinking with that performance/direction/whatever.

I didn't mind him generally being more of a corporate douchebag type than a full operatic arch-villain but even taking that into account, like, the gently caress?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Idk I think "bored and jaded saudi prince" is a valid way to portray the Baron

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I really liked the Baron's aesthetic of "covered in dripping oil." It manages to portray wealth in a way that's simultaneously slimy and decadent. Like constant sickly gurgling but visual.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Idk I think "bored and jaded saudi prince" is a valid way to portray the Baron

If that was the case, we should've seen his steam page.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Piter, on your way out send in that delectable waifu... my previous body pillow is all worn out

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Martman posted:

Piter, on your way out send in that delectable waifu... my previous body pillow is all worn out

are they still waifus if it’s shota

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Baron is not as entertaining as the one in Lynch's Dune, but I more or less dug his vibe and the choice to just straight up play him as Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now was pretty fun (I normally hate nods like that but this one worked for me).

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only thing I disliked was that this Baron seemed a little dumber (since he so willingly accepted that Paul had died in the sandstorm)
But I dig his vibe as well, and Skarsgard gives him some gravitas.. (pun unintended)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DeafNote posted:

The only thing I disliked was that this Baron seemed a little dumber (since he so willingly accepted that Paul had died in the sandstorm)
But I dig his vibe as well, and Skarsgard gives him some gravitas.. (pun unintended)

I don't have my copy of the book on hand, but if I remember right, the baron did actually believe that, didn't he? He just didn't want to say so? (Not being snide here, I seriously can't remember)

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
A mad colonel who's tired of reality and has retreated into the jungle is a much different scenario for that performance than a machevellian ruler of planets who is the richest man in the universe, though. I also wanted more than, what, a dozen lines of dialog from what is the main antagonist of the story. It was such an understated take on the character relative to literally every previous version. More like Leto's transhuman CEO from 2049 than the novel's Barton.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't have my copy of the book on hand, but if I remember right, the baron did actually believe that, didn't he? He just didn't want to say so? (Not being snide here, I seriously can't remember)
He's smart enough to not be 100% certain when he can't recover the bodies, but he does have reports that they dove their thopter right into the heart of a bad sandstorm. Later he feigns total confidence to Fenring.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 12, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh yeah it's a complete shock that the mysterious Fremen leader who appears right after Paul and Jessica disappear into the desert turns out to be Paul.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This is one of those things where as a storytelling trope it's obvious Paul lives when he "disappears", but in-universe he didn't just fly into generic bad weather or some poo poo, he flew into an alien planet extreme weather event that would obliterate almost anything. Like it explicitly shreds metal to bits regularly.

And like even if the Fremen find him alive because the storm and/or desert don't kill him, they murder every outsider anyway, the Baron has no logical reason to think Paul could assimilate with them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sean10mm posted:

This is one of those things where as a storytelling trope it's obvious Paul lives when he "disappears", but in-universe he didn't just fly into generic bad weather or some poo poo, he flew into an alien planet extreme weather event that would obliterate almost anything. Like it explicitly shreds metal to bits regularly.

And like even if the Fremen find him alive because the storm and/or desert don't kill him, they murder every outsider anyway, the Baron has no logical reason to think Paul could assimilate with them.

Also, dumping them in the desert to die from dehydration, a storm, a worm, or Fremen was the plan all along.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Also, dumping them in the desert to die from dehydration, a storm, a worm, or Fremen was the plan all along.

Plus I assume part of that plan was to have the ship that drops them off be generically "patrolling" around the area for a day or so to "recover" their bodies from fleeing into the desert of their own volition.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

DeafNote posted:

His mystique kind of evaporates in the remaining part of the novel and he ends up just a sad man in way past his considerable depth even before Paul shows up.

So it actually sets that up a bit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Another nice touch was Jamis voice over in that scene - mixed Pardot Kyne's model of ecology with the Mentat approach to systemic analysis. I think Villeneuve was really pleased with himself for that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The required world building exposition dumps being the narrator of the neat holo-slide projector was a nice touch, especially how they integrated in into the hunter-seeker scene.

It makes Chani's voice over at the beginning seem kind of tacked on. Of course you can't top the actual text's use of the Princess Irulan quotes for the start of each chapter (esp since the reader doesn't even find out who the character is until she's married off to Paul at the end)-- so it is kind of a compromise, I guess.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Hand Knit posted:

I really liked the Baron's aesthetic of "covered in dripping oil." It manages to portray wealth in a way that's simultaneously slimy and decadent. Like constant sickly gurgling but visual.

The direct apocalypse now reference was a really odd choice

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Danger posted:

The direct apocalypse now reference was a really odd choice

The Heart of Darkness is actually very near indeed to the heart of Empire.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
With regards to the climax of the novel, my suspicion from interviews with Herbert is that the novel was getting too long for what a publisher would accept in 1965, and large elements of the consequences of the jihad were pushed to Messiah. I'm sure much of what would have been the original follow-up changed after Dune's release though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Enemy of the state slaps!

I didn't mind the 'subdued' Rabban or Baron since we have already have bombastic versions, but they don't really have any motivation or personality other than "want dune back" and "are creepy".

WB definitely shouldn't have cut their scenes down so much, oh well

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ravel posted:

With regards to the climax of the novel, my suspicion from interviews with Herbert is that the novel was getting too long for what a publisher would accept in 1965, and large elements of the consequences of the jihad were pushed to Messiah. I'm sure much of what would have been the original follow-up changed after Dune's release though.

Dune Messiah is really just the third half of Dune.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah it's a complete shock that the mysterious Fremen leader who appears right after Paul and Jessica disappear into the desert turns out to be Paul.

It's explicitly years later

quote:

"How long have you been my guard captain, Nefud?"
Nefud swallowed. "Since Arrakis, my Lord. Almost two years."
[...]
"They've a new prophet or religious leader of some kind among the Fremen," the Baron said. "They call him Muad'Dib. Very funny, really. It means 'the Mouse.' I've told Rabban to let them have their religion. It'll keep them occupied."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hujxpBJhSQ

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Has any deve/publisher in history started so incredibly strong/visionary and then completely dropped off a cliff as hard as Cryo did?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CD Projekt

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't agree. I don't think Cyberpunk lacked vision and I don't think that their first title The Witcher was particularly innovative. Both had disastrous launches.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't agree. I don't think Cyberpunk lacked vision and I don't think that their first title The Witcher was particularly innovative. Both had disastrous launches.

Certainly The Witcher was treated as a promising start when it dropped rather than a genre defining moment. Witcher 2 then lived up to that promise, and Witcher 3 exceeded it. I’ve been waiting for a sale (and free time) to play 2077, but by all accounts it’s a solid game with a few bugs on a decent PC. It was mis-sold to the previous generation of console owners, as I understand it?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

jeeves posted:

The required world building exposition dumps being the narrator of the neat holo-slide projector was a nice touch, especially how they integrated in into the hunter-seeker scene.

It makes Chani's voice over at the beginning seem kind of tacked on. Of course you can't top the actual text's use of the Princess Irulan quotes for the start of each chapter (esp since the reader doesn't even find out who the character is until she's married off to Paul at the end)-- so it is kind of a compromise, I guess.

This movie is the gold standard of show don't tell. Chani's voice over is worth it for "Who will our next oppressors be?..." *cuts to paul*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Certainly The Witcher was treated as a promising start when it dropped rather than a genre defining moment. Witcher 2 then lived up to that promise, and Witcher 3 exceeded it. I’ve been waiting for a sale (and free time) to play 2077, but by all accounts it’s a solid game with a few bugs on a decent PC. It was mis-sold to the previous generation of console owners, as I understand it?

No, it's a gigantic mess. Characters fall out of the narrative, quest chains are clearly unfinished, and entire systems are turned off because they don't work right. The fact that there's a playable 20 hours in there speaks to just how ambitious this game was. In my opinion we got about half of the intended content, often shuffled around to try to make things make sense. I think there were three acts to the main quest (just like W3) and we got one and a half.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I just watched both Dune 2021 and Dune 1984 in the last couple weeks. Its interesting how they highlight generally the same scenes for the parts they both cover, though there are a few different focuses. Jessica and Duncan are given a lot more time in 2021, but 1984 gets you more Dr. Yueh and Space Guild.

Its fun how visually different the two films are and function as representation of their times. 2021 looks like a big blockbuster and creates professional austere looks. 1984 is just so weird and feels like those strange old sci-fis (that it is). There's the weird future industrial aspects, bright gold palaces, and they crazy slug whatever the space guild is. Oh and a battle pug and antidote milk cat. And I love that Baron.

It does feel like both kind of require some knowledge about the world of Dune. But thats a lot easier today with the internet and maybe sort of expected.

2021 Dune is definitely the better film as far as pacing, acting, characters, and obviously budget. But 1984 Dune is just so weird at times that its fun to watch.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

This movie is the gold standard of show don't tell. Chani's voice over is worth it for "Who will our next oppressors be?..." *cuts to paul*

Lol ya never seen a cut like that before in a movie. Truly advanced filmmaking.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Neo Rasa posted:

Has any deve/publisher in history started so incredibly strong/visionary and then completely dropped off a cliff as hard as Cryo did?

blizzard

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah blizzard has to be the epitome of game dev fall from grace. Starcraft, D2, WoW and then…. the rest. Even their complete failure to capitalize on the emergence of DotA is an example of their fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
DoTA et all was back in the past. In many ways Blizzard was at their peak during the run up to and release of overwatch. They could have easily spun it into an animated series of something. People who didn't really game that much were talking about it.