Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NationalPepper/status/1459294881139023874?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Hahahah, so if I downloaded that thing on the Switch, the game bundle contains a bunch of useless DOC files?

This is such a beautiful train wreck.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder if the stuff they cut from the original 3 because of 9/11 is still in there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hahahah, so if I downloaded that thing on the Switch, the game bundle contains a bunch of useless DOC files?

This is such a beautiful train wreck.

Yeah looks like it's all just sitting in the ROMFS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This GTA Remaster leak is just the kind of beautiful messy drama I love.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

This GTA Remaster leak is just the kind of beautiful messy drama I love.

It's not a "leak" or "drama", it's just old comments in scripting files.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm sorry I used sloppy verbiage to refer to snippy comments between devs complaining that what other people implemented doesn't work so they've kludged a different solution, being accidentally revealed to the public when it was never intended nor should it be seen by them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fame Douglas posted:

The release is also a broken lovely mess that looks worse than the PS2 games.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, that's what comments in code tend to be like. Coopting weird drama-Youtuber and Kotaku verbiage is unbecoming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maybe they could have fit the trilogy on a 16GB Switch cart after all if they didn't include a ton of random word documents and poo poo lol

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Before it came out, I had read an article or two about how terrible a job the company that Rockstar farmed this out to did on previous GTA ports. I, at least, just kind of wrote it off as sour grapes from people disappointed that it didn’t meet their lofty expectations, but this is pretty amateur hour.

At least we’ll get to learn more about the games and their development.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

I'm sorry I used sloppy verbiage to refer to snippy comments between devs complaining that what other people implemented doesn't work so they've kludged a different solution, being accidentally revealed to the public when it was never intended nor should it be seen by them.

you got fame douglas'd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fame Douglas posted:

Private source data for three major IP's they own has gotten out into the world unsecured through one of their own products due to incompetence. It's a leak by any definition.

Also Rockstar have pulled The Definitive Trilogy from the Rockstar Launcher to scrub the exposed code out of it :lmao:. I expect there's some serious code-review going on as well from their own guys.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 13, 2021

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I hope rockstar goes in and fixes them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly I expect the single biggest one is including music they dont have the license for

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

yeah when RS says "unintentionally included files" they mean "the music we don't have the license for and the RIAA is gonna gently caress us"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish they worked harder to get all the original music back. There’s a lot of good ones missing, especially for Vice City.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

With music licensing it's less "work hard", more "can you fund the license again"? No amount of hard work is gonna make that bill go down. Some of the songs are probably a fair bit pricier to license than when they first did so.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Leaving aside that Rockstar absolutely has the money to license the music back: They could have at least added substitutes that fit the spirit of the games.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Private source data for three major IP's they own has gotten out into the world unsecured through one of their own products due to incompetence. It's a leak by any definition.

It's some mission scripts, "private source data" is really overselling this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fame Douglas posted:

It's some mission scripts, "private source data" is really overselling this.

Thought it was pretty clear they accidentally just distributed internal tools, source code, build batch files, dev notes, and unlicensed music (as well as the mission scripts)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ALL SEX IS IN

https://twitter.com/ThisPurpleCat/status/1458880644021473286

https://twitter.com/the_agent_man/status/1459317181934624772

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It truly IS the definitive edition! :v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Leaving aside that Rockstar absolutely has the money to license the music back:

Not to leave it aside completely, Rockstar doesn’t just have a massive bank roll any project can grab from. Someone pitched this idea with projected revenue and asking for a budget, and they probably either knew up front or during discovery that the costs to license a specific handful of songs wasn’t worth blowing their budget out and requesting more money, or they wanted to allocate money elsewhere to meet deadlines (like developer capacity).

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I can't stop thinking about how large of a percentage of people playing the Definitive Edition won't notice the missing music because they weren't born yet when the original releases happened.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

Not to leave it aside completely, Rockstar doesn’t just have a massive bank roll any project can grab from. Someone pitched this idea with projected revenue and asking for a budget, and they probably either knew up front or during discovery that the costs to license a specific handful of songs wasn’t worth blowing their budget out and requesting more money, or they wanted to allocate money elsewhere to meet deadlines (like developer capacity).

Yes, and they should have budgeted a bit more to license replacement tracks for their low-effort cash in remaster of the most popular series of all time. I don't get why "but they had a budget" is somehow an excuse.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, and they should have budgeted a bit more to license replacement tracks for their low-effort cash in remaster of the most popular series of all time. I don't get why "but they had a budget" is somehow an excuse.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/take-two-interactive-software-inc-stock-rises-friday-outperforms-market-01636755952-53cfcca6040b

https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/6b111d0a-2dbb-4fce-ac78-146292ee7e25

*Take Two opens coin purse and a fly comes out*

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Capitalism is about hoarding wealth, not putting it to any beneficial use. What if this release only netted $490 million instead of $500 million? Just think of what the investors would say.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Capitalism is about hoarding wealth, not putting it to any beneficial use. What if this release only netted $490 million instead of $500 million? Just think of what the investors would say.

The less they spend on developing it, the more profit they make when it releases! :pseudo:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The less they spend on developing it, the more profit they make when it releases! :pseudo:

That's basically it. Take Two wanted this out hell or high water for the holiday season.

The crazy thing is publishers haven't figured out yet in today's world that if you release something broken you aren't going to be able to get away with it anymore. The word of mouth travels too fast and you can potentially poison the well for the future as well. You are better off eating the costs and either cancel a title outright or spend the extra time to make it up to snuff.

What is crazy in this case is Take Two didn't even announce this until fairly recently, so they could have done either without any fanfare. They had to have known the state this thing is in so they have no excuse other than wanting to dupe people.

I guess we now know exactly why they were gunning to kill the source ports, since they make this look even worse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Because no one is skipping this release because Billy Jean is missing, and the game has a ton of bugs and lovely assets that need more focus. Those things are inexcusable for a full priced title.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^ yeah we understand why they did the cheapest and easiest thing we just think that such a popular and profitable series of games deserves a lot better than that. The recent Tony Hawk 1+2 remake had 5 songs that they couldn't re-licence so they added in 36 new ones.

Tbh a remaster that simultaneously has no interest in maintaining and preserving the original experience while also offering nothing substantially new or improved is just kinda sad.

Like the only selling point of this collection in my eyes is that they were so sloppy that a bunch of interesting stuff they didn't want us to see got packed in lol.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the problem is the price. Everything else screams budget, from the game to the general lack of marketing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They budgeted it so all it took was one sale to make back all costs and have some profit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

They budgeted it so all it took was one sale to make back all costs and have some profit.

Having it announced with zero trailer or game footage at the relatively-last minute should've been a red flag really That sort of thing only happens when the studio knows they have a trainwreck on their hands.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having it announced with zero trailer or game footage at the relatively-last minute should've been a red flag really That sort of thing only happens when the studio knows they have a trainwreck on their hands.

Nintendo being the exception to that: "Check out this really cool thing that we made. Oh, by the way, we're releasing it in three hours."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Nintendo being the exception to that: "Check out this really cool thing that we made. Oh, by the way, we're releasing it in three hours."

Different dynamic; They tack those onto the Directs as a hype-builder to give their fans a little something right now on top of what's coming over the next few weeks/months.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

When was the last time something good came from this? Actraiser sucked.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It obviously has some technical issues that haven’t been fixed yet but I really like the Actrasier remake. More than the original game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah the Actraiser remake owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/hiddenpalaceorg/status/1459676563222446082?s=21
Hell yeah.