Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s pretty obvious that they’re gonna just use a second human actor to play the she hulk like the original Hulk show, because watching a giant meaty CGI lady Hulk for an entire D+ show just wouldn’t look that good, nor would it successfully differentiate She-Hulk from Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If they were going to go with a human actor for She-Hulk why even bother showing off a CGI one? Why not actually announce who it is at some point in the last few months while announcing who'll play Jennifer and Titania? Why would it look notably worse than CGI Hulk given the money involved? Why would they even need to differentiate her that substantially from Hulk? The point is that they have some similarity in powers, and the difference in physique/gender/attitude already differentiates them quite a bit without requiring that they look different aesthetically within the medium too. :raise:

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 13, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She-Hulk literally IS NOT a hulking wall of meat the way Bruce is though. I feel like people are asking for her to look the way she really hasn’t ever looked in the comics though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

She-Hulk literally IS NOT a hulking wall of meat the way Bruce is though. I feel like people are asking for her to look the way she really hasn’t ever looked in the comics though.

Yeah, she only looks a little less buff than she was in Marvel vs Capcom. I hope they take some inspiration from that for her fighting style in the show. It's a sort of high impact aerial gymnastics combined with grappling that I have seen in the MCU yet.

https://youtu.be/SRKEyTHit1s

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not one person in this thread has asked for her to be "a wall of meat" though, only to have some visible and defined musculature as she often does in the comics. A page of which was even posted to illustrate the point that she usually has some definition in the comics. The only times I recall her being shown to have the even close to the same level of musculature as Bruce in the comics is when she becomes the Savage She-Hulk. Which raises another point; by using a human actress, you no longer have the ability to redefine the model on the fly to suit the show. So while a CGI model could become the Savage She-Hulk for one or two fights, bulk up, slim down etc. it's much harder to do with a human actress, who can only do so much in terms of gains, even if you disregard that doing so takes time and personal cost entirely.

Edit: it was picture of the Fortnite model, and not a page of the comics. Well, let's fix that:

She doesn't have huge muscles in covers or pages like this, but she does have some definition regardless. Obviously it's going to vary somewhat by artist, or even by the needs of individual panels on the same page as it leans more towards comedy/action etc. during an issue, but she often does have some dentition regardless. Which extends back to even individual pages during early runs of the character.

Even the simpler art styles usually give her some kind of muscle definition on action pages. Which we can contrast against her more savage bulk outs, for the sake of it:

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 13, 2021

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, she only looks a little less buff than she was in Marvel vs Capcom. I hope they take some inspiration from that for her fighting style in the show. It's a sort of high impact aerial gymnastics combined with grappling that I have seen in the MCU yet.

https://youtu.be/SRKEyTHit1s

The line "you dropped a car on me" must end up in the series. :D

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Based on the five seconds of footage we've gotten, specifically the shot of Maslany looking like a child next to Professor Hulk, the height gain looks like it is going to do a lot of the heavy lifting and I wonder if she's going to look more like a swimmer or volleyball player.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My earnest hope is more of a Serena Williams build

This woman is one of the most dominant athletes in human history. Having a super heroine with her body type would be really awesome. Williams herself has spoken about wishing thicc female athletes got more representation because she thinks lots of healthy young women get turned off of the idea of athletics because girls don’t really have “football” the way boys do and so big girls don’t really get a sport unless you have good soccer/softball culture, or you’re one of the 10 states that has a roller derby scene.

*im not trying to derail, if anyone thinks these pics are inappropriate I’ll edit them out, it just feels germane to conversation

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It'd be very surprising if She-Hulk doesn't get heavily into body positivity issues, especially with Jamil playing a major role.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I need to go back and re-read my Dan Slott issues. Maybe we can have Jeffrey Wright as a Watcher, I vaguely recall some story where She-Hulk had to adjudicate something with them

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jet Jaguar posted:

I need to go back and re-read my Dan Slott issues. Maybe we can have Jeffrey Wright as a Watcher, I vaguely recall some story where She-Hulk had to adjudicate something with them

I think she genuinely had to adjudicate her own existence, the reasoning being that she could be erased from the multiverse and replaced by other characters and no one would notice.

Bust Rodd posted:

She’s not always crazy big like Bruce (although that absolutely has happened), but she ranges from “fitness model” to “female bodybuilder” and that teaser is kinda neither.

Like this was an action figure of her that came out a few months ago:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/146839

Or here’s some art from the recent miniatures game:

A simple Google image search shows all kinds of official artwork, statues, figurines, comic images.

There’s a pretty good range of how built she is in the comics, and making her pretty slim certainly is A Choice.
But like I said, maybe the show is so entertaining that I don’t care, or maybe they change her character model up, who knows. I’m just expressing an early opinion on the internet on very little information and I know it, I’m not condemning the show as Total Garbage before it even airs.

There’s an old fan-film where She-Hulk has no muscle whatsoever and it’s still a fun time.

https://youtu.be/wrXVDAta7kM

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 13, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The series is gonna a be about She-Hulk hitting the gym to bulk up and teaching us all proper fitness techniques.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I don't know anything about She Hulk but it's noticeable that all the distinctly non basic human shaped characters seem to be men. Hulk, Surtur, Rocket, Groot, Abomination, Malekith, Dormammu, Ultron, Ebony Maw, Red Skull.

All the women characters are just human women but with like antenna or horns.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, Red Skull is just man but red, Ultron is just man but metal and Hulk is just man but really muscled. Abomination isn't even much further different than that. I'm not sure you'd even need to go that far for Malekith, who's just a pale guy with weird ears really. Gamora, Nebula, Mantis and Ayesha (the golden queen in Guardians 2) are probably at least as exotic looking as Malekith and Red Skull, if not more so really. And Proxima Midnight is about as alien looking as Ebony Maw for that matter. Groot, Rocket, Surtur and Dormammu are the only ones I'd say are particularly alien in looks or essence. Which, yeah, they're all men, but hopefully the MCU gets a bit varied going forward I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 14, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I mean, Red Skull is just man but red, Ultron is just man but metal and Hulk is just man but really muscled. Abomination isn't even much further different than that. I'm not sure you'd even need to go that far for Malekith, who's just a pale guy with weird ears really. Gamora, Nebula, Mantis and Ayesha (the golden queen in Guardians 2) are probably at least as exotic looking as Malekith and Red Skull, if not more so really. And Proxima Midnight is about as alien looking as Ebony Maw for that matter. Groot, Rocket, Surtur and Dormammu are the only ones I'd say are particularly alien in looks or essence. Which, yeah, they're all men, but hopefully the MCU gets a bit varied going forward I guess.

It might get a little more varied to some degree, but it's still live action with CGI mixed in. So the large majority of characters appearing in it will be beings that can reasonably be portrayed by human beings in make-up, funny suits or with a bit of CGI.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Shang-Chi spoilers I guess, but a real life bus operator had some stuff to say about the bus scene and it's real good. It's a long rear end twitter thread so here's just the first tweet.

https://twitter.com/that_mc/status/1459613123590066180

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

The 90’s X-Men was basically a soap opera, everyone was hooking up constantly and double crossing and back stabbing. It’s incredible. I’m excited to dive back in, probably while everyone else is watching Agatha: Fart of Harkness

It was that, but the totally unsubtle social subtext of it also kicked rear end.

Thematically, the show was about racism, white supremacy, genocide, PTSD (Morph’s plot), closeted queer identity (“my kid ain’t no mutant!”), disability, and all kinds of other poo poo. One of Rogue’s episodes is almost literally about how her mother-figure abused her sexually (she’s forced to “use her powers” in a way she doesn’t want to, pleads “Mama, it doesn’t feel good,” and is left scarred by the experience. As an adult, she can’t touch other people or maintain normal relationships.) It was a surprisingly dark and complicated show for children about comic book characters in colorful spandex.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I liked the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon for what it was.

Very late, but I absolutely hated it for what it was. And what they tried to remake it into every new season.

The show could never figure out what it wanted to be and it had no weight to it's stories. Most of the time the show introduced character development and then just as swiftly dropped it, or the moment a character did change they immediately lost everything that made them even remotely interesting. It didn't help that most of the characters were shallow, unfunny or just plain asshats.

Spectacular on the other hand got a bunch of characters that grew over the course of seasons, for better or worse. You wanted to see the next step they were going to take, no matter if they were villains, heroes or civilians. And then it ended on the setup for big changes just as the Spidey IP switched hands.

I am holding out hope for the new series but given the track record of the last two shows I am not holding my breath.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
There are two kinds of people; those who have seen Spectacular Spider-man and those who can enjoy literally any other Spider-man animated series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My memories of the 90’s cartoon are so beloved that I don’t want to overwrite any of them with new cartoon spider-man. Chris Barnes is certainly no Kevin Conroy but that will always be my Spider-Man, and who could forget the unbeatable Ed Asner as JJ. A pure banger of a cartoon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

There are two kinds of people; those who have seen Spectacular Spider-man and those who can enjoy literally any other Spider-man animated series.

I really, REALLY want another good Spidey series. This one might be it, who knows?

But I also kind of think it's unnecessary. We've already set up the MCUs Peter via hints in Civil War, let him grow via the movies, and we're probably gonna wrap things up characterwise after the third Spidey flick. Seeing the leadup to the inexperienced Parker we know seems like rethreading old ground. Especially since they're going to have to dodge using any of the villains from the movies.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
In 1996(?) a friend had a PC game that let us make short videos using backgrounds and sprites from the Spider-Man cartoon, and it also let us draw on MS-Paint style effects, and so much like the criminally negligent AIs on youtube, we made every video end with someone peeing on someone else and we laughed and laughed for weeks about it until something else took our attention.

Those are my memories of the Spider-Man cartoon.

I wouldn't want them replaced with something dumb either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would just love a series about Pete 15 years into the game, when he’s actually Spider-MAN and not fledgling superhero Iron Man Jr.

Like, this is a character whose lived a rich, full, complicated life and they’ve had 9 movies and 5 TV shows but they all cover roughly the first 15-20% of his career and life except for the cool 90’s one. I think one of the myriad reasons Spider-Verse was so well received is that we finally got a glimpse of the “real” Pete, a 43 year old photojournalist from Queens who can benchpress a subway car but can barely pay his rent, an adjunct bioengineering and theoretical physics professor at NYU who can juggle coffee and a bagel 100 stories in the air but cannot remember his wife’s birthday unless she pins a note to his spandex

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

It was that, but the totally unsubtle social subtext of it also kicked rear end.

Thematically, the show was about racism, white supremacy, genocide, PTSD (Morph’s plot), closeted queer identity (“my kid ain’t no mutant!”), disability, and all kinds of other poo poo. One of Rogue’s episodes is almost literally about how her mother-figure abused her sexually (she’s forced to “use her powers” in a way she doesn’t want to, pleads “Mama, it doesn’t feel good,” and is left scarred by the experience. As an adult, she can’t touch other people or maintain normal relationships.) It was a surprisingly dark and complicated show for children about comic book characters in colorful spandex.

It's like the writers and show runners really understood what xmen is. That's not a joke, they must have really understood what the allegory xmen was meant to be and its soapy nature.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

It's like the writers and show runners really understood what xmen is. That's not a joke, they must have really understood what the allegory xmen was meant to be and its soapy nature.

It’s my favorite superhero soap opera.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The main takeaway I have from the Xmen cartoon was that Mr. Sinister stole Cyclops' nuts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can’t find it now but I remember reading an article about how the writing staff for the X-Men cartoon was like extremely queer and they aggressively seeded as much queercoding as they could (which wasn’t a lot) and that’s why Wolverine was so hurt by Morph getting killed. It was at a con or a panel but one of the writers was like “Wolverine is essentially living by Daywalker vampire rules, and on a long enough timeline we think everyone eventually becomes Bi/Pan” and it’s kind of funny because over the last decade I’ve come to find depictions of immortal bisexuals to be some of my favorite characters in any programs, like Alucard from Castlevania, or Cassidy from Preacher.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not even sure what it was I was reading/watching lately, but yeah, someone on it raised the point that if you were someone who lived for centuries or millenia that you'd basically try everything during that life time to keep life exciting. Not just sexually or anything, but that as part of that that you'd almost certainly try being gay, bi, asexual etc. for a while just out of sheer boredom, if nothing else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

I'm not even sure what it was I was reading/watching lately, but yeah, someone on it raised the point that if you were someone who lived for centuries or millenia that you'd basically try everything during that life time to keep life exciting. Not just sexually or anything, but that as part of that that you'd almost certainly try being gay, bi, asexual etc. for a while just out of sheer boredom, if nothing else.

Was it a Culture novel? Citizens of the Culture live for centuries and it's considered slightly quirky not to change sex at least once to experience the other side.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jedit posted:

Was it a Culture novel? Citizens of the Culture live for centuries and it's considered slightly quirky not to change sex at least once to experience the other side.

I think it might just have been one of Yahtzee Crowshaw's videos. I know I had some videos of him playing games he's recently reviewed on in the background lately and he discussed time loops and immortality (specifically in regards to Wolverine) in some of them lately due to games like 12 Minutes and Deathloop being in the public view, so it's probably just that. I should get around to reading more of the Culture stuff at some point though, because the one or two I've read were good.

Edit: the mention of murder in the below post is making me think of the after review playthrough for a few hours he did of Disco Elysium, and I think maybe it was that video, because I vaguely recall him musing that an immortal would try being a murderer and a detective as more examples of how that kind of long timeline would end up with someone trying everything, as well as various sexual identities.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

It's understandable, but you could see something like that situation going to some hosed-up places in the name of "I wonder what doing murder/etc. would feel like" and after a couple centuries you just kind of have to scratch that particular itch

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

It's understandable, but you could see something like that situation going to some hosed-up places in the name of "I wonder what doing murder/etc. would feel like" and after a couple centuries you just kind of have to scratch that particular itch

That's what slap-drones are for. And if that doesn't suffice they can always transfer you to Special Circumstances.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Bust Rodd posted:

I would just love a series about Pete 15 years into the game, when he’s actually Spider-MAN and not fledgling superhero Iron Man Jr.

Like, this is a character whose lived a rich, full, complicated life and they’ve had 9 movies and 5 TV shows but they all cover roughly the first 15-20% of his career and life except for the cool 90’s one. I think one of the myriad reasons Spider-Verse was so well received is that we finally got a glimpse of the “real” Pete, a 43 year old photojournalist from Queens who can benchpress a subway car but can barely pay his rent, an adjunct bioengineering and theoretical physics professor at NYU who can juggle coffee and a bagel 100 stories in the air but cannot remember his wife’s birthday unless she pins a note to his spandex

Has there ever been a comic book story that is like Dark Knight Returns with an angry jaded old violent Peter?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s just peter b parker from spiderverse.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lamont posted:

Has there ever been a comic book story that is like Dark Knight Returns with an angry jaded old violent Peter?

Isn't there the story where old man Peter laments that he killed MJ with his radioactive "web fluid"?

Here we go, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Reign

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lamont posted:

I know there was a story where Peter had become rather jaded and wasn't really much a superhero and was instead almost a mercenary, whose spider-sense was so refined that he could tell when people were thinking about hurting him and poo poo. I can't even recall what story it is off-hand, since I haven't read it (and thus might even have some details wrong), but I'm pretty sure I've heard of one that's along the lines you're thinking of at least.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I can’t find it now but I remember reading an article about how the writing staff for the X-Men cartoon was like extremely queer and they aggressively seeded as much queercoding as they could (which wasn’t a lot) and that’s why Wolverine was so hurt by Morph getting killed. It was at a con or a panel but one of the writers was like “Wolverine is essentially living by Daywalker vampire rules, and on a long enough timeline we think everyone eventually becomes Bi/Pan” and it’s kind of funny because over the last decade I’ve come to find depictions of immortal bisexuals to be some of my favorite characters in any programs, like Alucard from Castlevania, or Cassidy from Preacher.
It was an alternate universe, but Wolverine and Hercules did have a relationship.

Lamont posted:

Spider-Man: Reign

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

tsob posted:

I know there was a story where Peter had become rather jaded and wasn't really much a superhero and was instead almost a mercenary, whose spider-sense was so refined that he could tell when people were thinking about hurting him and poo poo. I can't even recall what story it is off-hand, since I haven't read it (and thus might even have some details wrong), but I'm pretty sure I've heard of one that's along the lines you're thinking of at least.
I think the one you're thinking of was What If? Spider-Man vs. Wolverine, which branched off from the events of the original Spider-man vs. Wolverine one-shot.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
90s cartoon Magneto was basically my sexual awakening. I know the voice actor has passed but I hope they get someone equally awesome to take the role on.

He was pretty well balanced as well, not the full on "kill all humans" "you're all wolves" schtick he has nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Peyote Panda posted:

It was an alternate universe, but Wolverine and Hercules did have a relationship.

Spider-Man: Reign

Their bed must be so full of hair.