Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

you are correct, you can just run the app when you need to make changes. i only do the docker crap because i'm a huge dweeb

oh goddammit lol i thought it was linux-only or something like that

yeah idk then, as long a it's multiplatform then for me there's not a huge difference between phone app/web app/native app

i mean im still not gonna go out and buy ubiquiti poo poo cause the thing im not messing with is workin, but if it stops workin when i move then yeah, that's on the table if i need an upgrade. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

wait im lookin at https://www.ui.com/download/unifi/default/default/unifi-network-application-6454-macos

and it looks like you can just download the app for mac and windows and stuff and dont have to run a weirdo daemon or use docker. am i missing something? maybe it's an installer package that sets up your laptop with a lovely daemon rather than just being a client app?

a subset of features requires persistence, otherwise you may just use the regular desktop application to handle the regular configuration

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

oh goddammit lol i thought it was linux-only or something like that

yeah idk then, as long a it's multiplatform then for me there's not a huge difference between phone app/web app/native app

i mean im still not gonna go out and buy ubiquiti poo poo cause the thing im not messing with is workin, but if it stops workin when i move then yeah, that's on the table if i need an upgrade. thanks!

it needs a jvm installed to work and only oracle java or corretto work without some fuckery, otherwise it's fine and like a five minute install on windows. it doesn't run as a service though, you can make it run as a service, but it's not the default and the upgrade process is a bit different if it's running as a service. so you have to manually launch the controller if you have the default install and you want to use the management interface.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

now that it'll be reasonably possible to run ethernet through the ceiling/wall we might do that.

do this it’s the loving best

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it needs a jvm installed to work and only oracle java or corretto work without some fuckery, otherwise it's fine and like a five minute install on windows. it doesn't run as a service though, you can make it run as a service, but it's not the default and the upgrade process is a bit different if it's running as a service. so you have to manually launch the controller if you have the default install and you want to use the management interface.

it works with openjdk

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

it works with openjdk

see https://gist.github.com/cam8001/456f5dbb1872bf974ac42a55269c18ad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, with some fuckery to get it to do so, hence why i specified that it works with oracle java and corretto without fuckery, because the conversation was about it being simple or complicated to set up and run. and AJ was talking about running the controller on windows specifically

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

macos actually but same difference, fuckery is fuckery :)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

infernal machines posted:

yes, with some fuckery to get it to do so, hence why i specified that it works with oracle java and corretto without fuckery, because the conversation was about it being simple or complicated to set up and run. and AJ was talking about running the controller on windows specifically

which bit of that gist is the “fuckery”? barely any of it is even java related. it appears to install openjdk 8 and then set the standard java_home environment variable?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

which bit of that gist is the “fuckery”? barely any of it is even java related. it appears to install openjdk 8 and then set the standard java_home environment variable?

yeah it is about as difficult to launch as any other software written in java, the “fuckery” here is having to use a computer after 9/11

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

well, for example, on windows, as of a few months ago, it was not a matter of just setting the java_home variable on openjdk. but also, even having to set the java_home variable, and having to update that every time you update the jdk or it will break, i guess, since the whole conversation has been about not having to janitor things.

i was specifically referring to the windows installation of it, not realizing that jones was thinking of macos. of course if you're using linux you can expect to have to manually set path variables and whatever else, you're already janitoring things anyway, and you probably don't care if you also have to janitor the unifi control server

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 13, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've change my mind. definitely don't use UBNT products, at least without a turnkey management solution because you'll be left to the mercy of the kind of people posting itt

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
use the dang phone app to provision the AP, then dont touch it for 5 years. sheesh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

use the dang phone app to provision the AP, then dont touch it for 5 years. sheesh

seriously i dont understand all this panty pissing over it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

seriously i dont understand all this panty pissing over it

apparently you have to mess around with 9000 jdk variants and environment variables and idk wtf

i've never had to do any of that bullshit

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah this is like the android thread complaining how hard it was to change wallpapers on ios

like ok then dont use it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's more people say "i won't use it and this is why" and then folks tell them that they're wrong for that being the reason or how they get around the pain in the rear end or what benefits offset the PITA for them

some people call this "conversation" and consider it a good thing!

for my part i learned more about ubiquiti stuff so i'm glad for the discussion. sounds like it's kind of a tire fire if i have to dick with JVM settings to run a client app but at least now i know the docker stuff isn't at all necessary

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 14, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

sounds like it's kind of a tire fire if i have to dick with JVM settings to run a client app

you don't have to do this either. it's just people :spergin:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i just think its a moral failing to bring computer toucher work home with you. your free time is 100% better spent not touching computers as much as possible and i have experienced great happiness in pursuit of this goal and i want yall to have that too 😘

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The_Franz posted:

you don't have to do this either. it's just people :spergin:

gonna sound snarky but genuine question: if you don't have to then why would someone do it in the first place? i 100% understand the docker dorkery (waves hands at his unraid setup) but JVM config/tuning doesn't streamline or isolate or anything like that - for little client apps there's no point beyond getting it to run ( unless it's a high performance thing...but this isn't ). so i don't know what the end goal of messing with it is, if you don't need to do that to make it function

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Casual Encountess posted:

i just think its a moral failing to bring computer toucher work home with you. your free time is 100% better spent not touching computers as much as possible and i have experienced great happiness in pursuit of this goal and i want yall to have that too 😘

:hmmyes:

what network poo poo do you use? i use google poo poo and it's fine but i would prefer a bit better configuration interface. i liked netgear's configuration interface fine but it didn't work very well (couldnt handle video calls for work very well)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use the router my isp gave me, works fine and it's got plenty of wired ports and the wifi works really well vOv

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

gonna sound snarky but genuine question: if you don't have to then why would someone do it in the first place? i 100% understand the docker dorkery (waves hands at his unraid setup) but JVM config/tuning doesn't streamline or isolate or anything like that - for little client apps there's no point beyond getting it to run ( unless it's a high performance thing...but this isn't ). so i don't know what the end goal of messing with it is, if you don't need to do that to make it function

no clue, that entire tirade on previous page about this having some kind of trick to it was completely cryptical to me. i didn’t have to do anything beyond starting the app for it to work, and the only “weird” java setup was that my pi had some kind of problem that wasn’t related to the software at all

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got a homepod mini in blue and trying this 3 mo free apple music. i am digging yung bae's groove continental radio. <3 future funk

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i will never stop touching my computer at all times

just today i've been reinstalling my home automation raspberry pi 4 to switch it from 32 to 64-bit, backing up, updating, restoring and reconfiguring
openhab3 and a ton of plugins
weewx weather monitoring (with Weather34 addon)
mosquitto mqtt server for controlling a bunch of homemade rollerblind motors
nut-server for UPS monitoring
telegraf for scraping prometheus data from a bunch of https://www.airgradient.com/diy/ kits
influxdb2 and grafana for charting all this crap

it's the best

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

i will never stop touching my computer at all times

just today i've been reinstalling my home automation raspberry pi 4 to switch it from 32 to 64-bit, backing up, updating, restoring and reconfiguring
openhab3 and a ton of plugins
weewx weather monitoring (with Weather34 addon)
mosquitto mqtt server for controlling a bunch of homemade rollerblind motors
nut-server for UPS monitoring
telegraf for scraping prometheus data from a bunch of https://www.airgradient.com/diy/ kits
influxdb2 and grafana for charting all this crap

it's the best

bro u missed to install an app in that one folder on the left

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm laying on little jones bed while he colors in his mario coloring book on the floor. we're listening to night tempo and it's a good time

i took a bunch of crap off the walls. movers come tomorrow! i still have to take down his number line but l might wait until the movers have taken everything out

i forgot to ever buy a hard case for my jazzmaster. i'll use the soft case i have for my old esp and just move the esp without a case. i hope nothing gets hosed up though :ohdear:

i'll call guitar center to see if we can swing by today to grab one but the website shows everything out of stock so i'm not hopeful

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just throw some bubble wrap around it op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no clue, that entire tirade on previous page about this having some kind of trick to it was completely cryptical to me. i didn’t have to do anything beyond starting the app for it to work, and the only “weird” java setup was that my pi had some kind of problem that wasn’t related to the software at all

afaict it boils down to “some java installers on windows don’t set an environment variable the app assumes they will”, which would be a huge problem if the app was intended for non-technical users

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

just throw some bubble wrap around it op

ngl rondo music managed to ship me a five string bass in a cardboard box with some inserts and foam and the goddamn thing wasnt even more than a half step out of tune

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i forgot to ever buy a hard case for my jazzmaster. i'll use the soft case i have for my old esp and just move the esp without a case. i hope nothing gets hosed up though :ohdear:

i'll call guitar center to see if we can swing by today to grab one but the website shows everything out of stock so i'm not hopeful

if gc doesn’t have hard cases, check and see if they have shipping boxes and if you can bribe one of the staff into giving you. i would also recommend asking local used gear shops if you have any around about buying a shipping box off them, or if they have a case that might fit.

fortunately guitars ship well in cardboard and bubble wrap, though i suspect movers may be less careful than shippers… but it’s not like you need to ship a mac pro, so you wont have to dig up 40 pounds of cardboard and styrofoam and seal it in with a blood pressure cuff

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm laying on little jones bed while he colors in his mario coloring book on the floor. we're listening to night tempo and it's a good time

i took a bunch of crap off the walls. movers come tomorrow! i still have to take down his number line but l might wait until the movers have taken everything out

ugh I love sonic youth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

greg the peanut posted:

ugh I love sonic youth

i won a first place award at the Arkansas High School Press Association convention in 1996 for the review I wrote on Washing Machine

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

i won a first place award at the Arkansas High School Press Association convention in 1996 for the review I wrote on Washing Machine

Cliche choice but Skip Tracer is a good track

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my new macbook pro 14inch with m1 pro makes lightroom sing and it's so much more fun to edit photos now on the go

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

top banner picture on the verge atm a lovely reminder of apples comedy keyboard era:

also the priorities of verge writers, rather an immobile/keyboardless laptop than switching to something else

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I did that for a year and a half though I used the Good apple keyboard (the one that took AAs) and it didnt need a cardboard thingy.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

I did that for a year and a half though I used the Good apple keyboard (the one that took AAs) and it didnt need a cardboard thingy.

so good i bought a refurbed one as a spare. i gave it to my folks recently and it is still trucking along fine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

top banner picture on the verge atm a lovely reminder of apples comedy keyboard era:

also the priorities of verge writers, rather an immobile/keyboardless laptop than switching to something else

lol