Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

*Adds hot tubs to the list already containing boats, airplanes, beach houses, hunting land, etc.

Hunting land!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Topical BWM, though fortuitous for us goons:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This reminds me of something i can share now. Lowtax told me he got a buyout offer from a media company for $13 million in 2006. He was still having fun with the site and turned it down. He expressed lament at this to me during our own negotiations.

I did my own digging and this was the exact year that conde nast bought reddit and within the reported price range as well. I'm glad I don't live in that timeline.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

Topical BWM, though fortuitous for us goons:

Buying SA for 13 Million is definitely BWM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

DaveSauce posted:

Supposedly the site sale was mid 6 figures and Lowtax blew it all
Why am I not surprised, considering that Nissan GT-R bullshit from back in the day.

Phanatic posted:

Moviepass is back:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/11/22776299/moviepass-co-founder-relaunch-bankruptcy-stacy-spikes-film-app-service

Granted, the new owner is the guy who got fired for saying "Hey, maybe losing money on every ticket sold is a loser business plan," so maybe it won't be completely stupid this time.
I still have one stock in HMNY.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 12, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Residency Evil posted:

Hunting land!?

I dunno if this is just a midwest thing? But lots of people where I grew up "know a guy" who has land way out in the sticks that they let friends/family hunt on.

Often people just wander out and shoot poo poo. Surprisingly, some states have pretty strict protections for hunters.

obi_ant posted:

Buying SA for 13 Million is definitely BWM.

BWM, BWG (bad with goons).

imagine a SA where each post has an up/down vote button

this place would have become a nazi paradise in no time.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why am I not surprised, considering that Nissan GT-R bullshit from back in the day.

Also following the Jeffrey's quote from earlier, apparently the mid 6 figures number I read was debunked by someone with intimate knowledge of the transaction:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

zetamind2000 posted:

Between that and patreon it was at least $100,000 from donations before the $450,000 from the sale

I wanna see the receipts, like goddamn how much ketamine and benzos are we talking about here

Don't know where that number came from but it's not real.

:shrug:

Not sure he'll ever spill the beans. Half a mil seems a steep price to pay for this place, but lmao at 13 mil.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Hunting land!?

You've never been? Then please join us in the remote Seattle mountains for the next great BFC Hunt as our... Guest of Honor

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You've never been? Then please join us in the remote Seattle mountains for the next great BFC Hunt as our... Guest of Honor

:eek:

DaveSauce posted:

I dunno if this is just a midwest thing? But lots of people where I grew up "know a guy" who has land way out in the sticks that they let friends/family hunt on.

I’m more curious about the bwm aspect. Can’t be worse than a boat right?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Probably paying for taxes and possible upkeep on however many acres they have. They probably get paid back in some form or another though.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh yeah, sure.

I would guess "tract of land that is so remote that you can't do anything but hunt on it" is kind of it.

But for that you're probably paying a few grand per acre at most and property taxes are probably non-existent so :shrug:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Residency Evil posted:

I worked with a guy that had hunting land with a bunch of deer feeders and live camera feeds so he could track the buck he wanted to shoot. At that point is it even hunting when you can essentially schedule the deer in?

My coworker now goes occasionally to a lodge and kills a doe since it is cheaper and he ends up with a bunch of meat that is around $7/lb all in with the butcher.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Property taxes can be tough. Winning a $5M lottery ticket and buying a $5M ranch puts you underwater quickly.

E: leasing your land can be GWM though. We did a dove hunt on a guy’s property who had enough land for 40+ hunters for both the morning and evening hunt at $100/head. He was doing well for himself.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 12, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

His various hairlines are unbelievably precise. A little uncanny.

Can't remember what it is called but a lot of black male celebrities use this hair product that is basically paint to get even hairlines and perfect beards.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

DJ Khaled's wings are great but apparently he won't eat them past this?!

Bad Wing Munching

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I learned about Lowtax's death thanks to this thread, and it made me remember how I used to chat with him on ICQ. And I actually have a BWM story about how we stopped talking. One time Lowtax was bitching about being broke because Gamespy or some other Web 1.0 gaming blog had ripped him off, so he couldn't pay for his basic necessities. He was a ~Gaming Journalist~ and had just reviewed a 3Dfx video card (Voodoo 5500, I think), so I suggested he put it on eBay as it was very sought after at the time. He did... but then a bunch of goons and trolls started bidding up the price to a ridiculous amount. eBay wasn't as refined back then, so when the auction ended and he didn't get paid, eBay still wanted to charge him for the fees (or so he claimed). He flipped out at me for having given him the idea, and we never talked again. RIP your Bad With Money internet spirit.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This did not get enough love, amazing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Animal posted:

RIP your Bad With Money internet spirit.

I'm reading the death thread that's been posted and it's a mess over there. I'm not too sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but wasn't GBS a fairly "normal" place with jokes and poo poo, then it got all memelord when GBS 2.0 came out? I remember hanging out at GBS all the time, until something didn't click anymore and I stopped and had to venture out of GBS.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yeah gbs was the only thing I used to read. But something happened where they relaxed the moderation and it just flooded with low content garbage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Won’t eat vagina

Will eat cock

Checks out

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Now Lowtax and Vilerats moms can go to the RNC to speak together since the govt took them both out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OK I get the wing joke now.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Can't remember what it is called but a lot of black male celebrities use this hair product that is basically paint to get even hairlines and perfect beards.

Bigen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1TNCM8TJxw

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yeah hunting land is one of those things that it is usually someone's hobby farm or has been in the family for a long time. The capital outlay means you aren't getting land unless you can afford to have a $500k-million dollar asset that costs you money every year if you can't put it into various habitat programs and/or allow public use of the land for hunting.

I posted our land last summer and got a free tree stand when I decided to hunt our land last fall because someone had been illegally hunting it.

I've only been out one day hunting so far this year though, hoping I can spend more time in the woods now that I quit my job and am applying to business school.

Edit: The BWM is me, not filling every freezer in my immediate family's possession with venison yet.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FateFree posted:

Yeah gbs was the only thing I used to read. But something happened where they relaxed the moderation and it just flooded with low content garbage.

Yeah it really sucks, part of the reason why I migrated a bit to Reddit. Is there a part of the forum that's like old GBS, or I'm just going to have to look at individual threads?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Oil! posted:

I worked with a guy that had hunting land with a bunch of deer feeders and live camera feeds so he could track the buck he wanted to shoot. At that point is it even hunting when you can essentially schedule the deer in?

That's nothing. You can pay to have raised pheasants released in a field just before you "hunt" them. $23 per bird. I worked for a corp with a gun club membership so the higher ups could go on "hunts" like that, like a corporate golf club membership for people that want to kill things. They could turn in the corpse and take a frozen one home. (+$3)

Side note: that guy's setup is hella illegal in my state.

As far as "things that are better for somebody else to own": hunting leases are a thing around here. My grandpa leased a spot with goose blinds on a farm on one of the best lakes* to hunt geese on in the US. Every year he'd pay money to a farmer for access to the land and maintained goose blinds and decoys.

*The lake name is literally a translation of "lake that speaks" because of all of the noise geese would make on the lake during migration.

BWM: paying for a hunting license, a waterfowl stamp, and a special permit just to hunt that lake. Plus the special goose barrel for the shotgun or an entirely different shotgun, plus waking up at like 4am.

GWM: the farmer that set up some goose blinds on a field access road.

Goose doesn't even taste good!

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 13, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’ve gone trap shooting twice in my life and thought it was pretty fun, but I have never thirsted for blood. Does that happen at a certain age? Latitude?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve gone trap shooting twice in my life and thought it was pretty fun, but I have never thirsted for blood. Does that happen at a certain age? Latitude?

What if trap shooting, but there is also a dog that is very excited to chase birds and you get to eat pheasant after petting the dog?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

crazypeltast52 posted:

What if trap shooting, but there is also a dog that is very excited to chase birds and laughs at you when you miss

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

What if trap shooting, but there is also a dog that is very excited to chase birds and you get to eat pheasant after petting the dog?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

crazypeltast52 posted:

What if trap shooting, but there is also a dog that is very excited to chase birds and laughs at you when you miss

:hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:laugh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Residency Evil posted:

Pheasant tastes really, really good. So does real turkey.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phanatic posted:

Pheasant tastes really, really good. So does real turkey.

You're right about wild vs. farmed turkey, but I'll point out that a huge part of why so many people's store bought turkeys taste like poo poo is because we have something like 80 years of bad advice on how to cook a bird, all of it designed for people who cook one of them a year and then never think about the process again until it's time to create another lump of dried out, bland holiday meat. Also advice and gimmicks like those cook bags designed to make it so it's a thing you just toss in the oven for a bunch of hours like a casserole vs basting it and actually paying attention to the temperature of the meat etc.

People are soooooo bad at cooking turkeys. Like, goddamn, terrible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MisterOblivious posted:

Goose doesn't even taste good!

It's a vengeful bird's final insult from beyond the grave

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

People were going on about capons instead of turkey or whatever so I got one for Christmas last year. It was not that great, kinda tougher than turkey / chicken, but it made absolutely incredible curry for boxing day.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I feel like you can just add Hunting to the list of things that you do with other people.

I go hunting with a buddy and I don't buy scents or any of that other stuff because, really, I'm in it more for being outdoors all day but if I see something and I am able to take it down, that's nice too. However, I also know people that have trailers, several ATVs, different types of stands for different vegetation types, thousands of dollars worth of equipment from rangefinders to the scopes on their $2000+ Sako rifles. I love hunting with them because I get to go on a mini camping trip and all I need to do is pay for some gas and my share of food for the trip (in addition to permits and the usual hunting stuff for the area).

I don't know how much an ATV costs but I'll bet even just getting a beater pick-up is probably cheaper and has more utility once the season is done

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
I've had pretty good luck with the small boneless Turkeys, just remember to lube the outside with olive oil and reposition the string netting to make it easier to cut off after cutting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're right about wild vs. farmed turkey, but I'll point out that a huge part of why so many people's store bought turkeys taste like poo poo is because we have something like 80 years of bad advice on how to cook a bird, all of it designed for people who cook one of them a year and then never think about the process again until it's time to create another lump of dried out, bland holiday meat.

People are soooooo bad at cooking turkeys. Like, goddamn, terrible.
I see you've met my MIL. She roasts the unseasoned turkey too long, takes it out of the oven, removes the skin, and then opens a can of gravy go along with it, discarding the drippings.

Pheasant is delicious, but you gotta be mindful of the birdshot. Can't bite down too hard, y'know?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Aces High posted:

I don't know how much an ATV costs but I'll bet even just getting a beater pick-up is probably cheaper and has more utility once the season is done

ATVs are fun as hell though, if you live somewhere with trails.

(They're like 20-25k new but you can get good condition used ones for significantly cheaper because they are BWM toys that get resold without much use).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dik Hz posted:

I see you've met my MIL. She roasts the unseasoned turkey too long, takes it out of the oven, removes the skin, and then opens a can of gravy go along with it, discarding the drippings.

Pheasant is delicious, but you gotta be mindful of the birdshot. Can't bite down too hard, y'know?

So you married my wife's sister, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

canyoneer posted:

It's a vengeful bird's final insult from beyond the grave

:honk::goose::zaurg::piaa::goose::honk: