Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

But now I have a virtual on site that is supposed to last for like 4 hours and I'm supposed to make a powerpoint presentation about myself?? (30 minutes, at least 10 slides)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

BONGHITZ posted:

But now I have a virtual on site that is supposed to last for like 4 hours and I'm supposed to make a powerpoint presentation about myself?? (30 minutes, at least 10 slides)

are you applying for a professorship or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

put pictures of your genitals on it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

put pictures of your genitals on it

put pictures of the interviewers gentials on it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

from the interviewer side, what’s a good way to approach a candidate that interviewed well but isn’t quite qualified for the position they applied for?

the guy did really well, but applied for a lead position where he definitely fits in better at the senior level

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Fool posted:

from the interviewer side, what’s a good way to approach a candidate that interviewed well but isn’t quite qualified for the position they applied for?

the guy did really well, but applied for a lead position where he definitely fits in better at the senior level

if you can actually offer the senior position right away, i'd say you can just be candid about it. tell them that they have a competent profile, but it doesnt match the lead role as close as the company would've liked it, so you choose to offer them senior role instead. you should, however, resist the temptation of dangling the "growing into lead (eventually)" carrot unless youve actually grown multiple internal seniors into lead roles

if you cant offer them the senior role, i dont know if its worth the trouble to do anything more, just write a polite and slightly sad rejection letter

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you’re not extending an offer at the lower level you’ll appear to be gaslighting them. are they trying to jump from IC to management with the lead position?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I had a company who had a pretty interesting product suite to me ask me to put together a 20 min presentation about the subject of my choice and I taught them the intricacies of running an NFL style cover 2. I did no research for this because it's one of the things I'm personally interested in and they complimented me on my ability to present and actually offered later on in the loop.

I declined due to a better off I received.

There is now a senior product leader, a vp of engineering and a vp of solutions who now know entirely too much about the cover 2, including preferred characteristics of personnel (corners who like to tackle), common cover 2 beaters (3 deep routes to stress the 2 man coverage shell over the top) , and how common route combinations such as spacing, slant/flat and flood concepts stress the cohesion of the defense.

If you tell me anything, well....it's going to be something easy for me

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ugh, I'm sick of this job hunting thing. On Monday I'm going to swallow my pride and just write a few rear end-kissing cover letters for whatever lovely jobs are available and go from there.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

The Fool posted:

there’s a few different ways to do it

4. lie

just loving lie. lie all the time. this is a negotiation/business transaction, not a place to show off your moral character.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ultravoices posted:

just loving lie. lie all the time. this is a negotiation/business transaction, not a place to show off your moral character.

I’m struggling to come up with a business setting where moral character would be the right choice

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

champagne posting posted:

I’m struggling to come up with a business setting where moral character would be the right choice

dont snitch to management

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raluek posted:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Raluek posted:

a not my business decision

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Waroduce posted:

If you tell me anything, well....it's going to be something easy for me

that’s probably exactly what they were looking for tbh

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

raminasi posted:

that’s probably exactly what they were looking for tbh

+1

ultravoices posted:

poo poo advice

if you find yourself lying in a professional situation you failed at being creative enough to come up with an alternative story that doesnt gently caress you if investigated

you really never need to lie just be more creative

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unless you mean lying by omission which appears to be a critical business skill

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

unless you mean lying by omission which appears to be a critical business skill

shutting the gently caress up is a critical business skill

lying by omission is fake news

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shutting up is the ultimate omission!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if you can actually offer the senior position right away, i'd say you can just be candid about it. tell them that they have a competent profile, but it doesnt match the lead role as close as the company would've liked it, so you choose to offer them senior role instead. you should, however, resist the temptation of dangling the "growing into lead (eventually)" carrot unless youve actually grown multiple internal seniors into lead roles

if you cant offer them the senior role, i dont know if its worth the trouble to do anything more, just write a polite and slightly sad rejection letter

offering a senior roll would be delayed by a few days just because of hr hoops, but do-able

there’s a not insignificant number of guys that have been here for 5-10 years and gone through the junior->lead or senior levels so it’s definitely a thing that happens

hobbesmaster posted:

if you’re not extending an offer at the lower level you’ll appear to be gaslighting them. are they trying to jump from IC to management with the lead position?

our lead engineer positions are still on the IC track but have specific expectations regarding mentoring and training responsibilities in addition to subject matter expertise

this guy had good technical skills but couldn’t speak to mentoring experiences, and wasn’t as strong in subjects specific to the position

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Fool posted:

offering a senior roll would be delayed by a few days just because of hr hoops, but do-able

there’s a not insignificant number of guys that have been here for 5-10 years and gone through the junior->lead or senior levels so it’s definitely a thing that happens

if i were you, i would just lay it out like initially suggested in this case - sounds safe to mention career growth, should mention hr bit, and I would also offer them to have a 30 minute chat with some junior-lead trekker about their experience in case the candidate cares

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ultravoices posted:

5 years with Windows 11? Buddy, I've been using that since you were all trying figure out XP

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

+1

poo poo advice

if you find yourself lying in a professional situation you failed at being creative enough to come up with an alternative story that doesnt gently caress you if investigated

you really never need to lie just be more creative

You see I wasn't lying, I was just being creatively imaginative :rolleyes:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

today i was involved in a batch of interviews and it really highlighted how arbitrary this process can be. it was for next year's interns and last year all the candidates ranged from, 'ugh, no' to 'well... i guess they're fine'. we were eventually able to decide on a handful of them to hire

this year it's been, 'god damnit i want to hire every single one of them they're all excellent. gently caress!!' and we're going to have to decide which ones we extend an offer to, somehow

so yeah. if you feel like an interview went really well and still get rejected, it could have just been you were unlucky and all the other candidates were similarly stellar. poo poo sucks

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
you're a very lucky interviewer if you get to choose between stellar candidates

my interviewing experience is pretty depressing, about 10% of the candidates i talk to are communicative/knowledgable/enthusiastic enough to have a good conversation with, they invariably get offers

had a guy the other day who was monologuing incoherently about his projects for 5-10 mins and would definitely have gone on for 20 mins if we didn't interrupt him

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

(...) communicative/knowledgable/enthusiastic enough ...

Pick two

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
50% of the guys i interview have 0, so two is a good candidate

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

definitely the first two, enthusiasm is for baseball games not computers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

data science is a middle finger

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

definitely the first two, enthusiasm is for baseball games not computers

Baseball? Don't talk to me about baseball. Baseball is so dreadful, just thinking about it makes me depressed...

(I probably butchered it)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1462939893743640581

What's this all about? Is this even remotely accurate? Guy is a former dev at valve where they definitely pull over 300k cash.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qhat posted:

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1462939893743640581

What's this all about? Is this even remotely accurate? Guy is a former dev at valve where they definitely pull over 300k cash.

Below are base salary, not total comp. Best case scenario double it for total comp unless you're getting monopoly money where then yea maybe you can pull $200K base and $500K in options at a Series C startup in best-case-scenario conditions. That said I dont hire in the bay so grain of salt there.

CarForumPoster posted:

On that note heres what you should make in for a SW engineer by level and area. This assumes that the levels are 1-6 with 6 being a high technical expert. I only posted 1-5. This is for all company sizes. Generally, Seed/Aeries A round startups will be on the lower side and mega corps will be on the lower side except for the FAANGs.

Heres SF/NYC:
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th
Software Engineering	1	$91k	$110k	$127k
Software Engineering	2	$130k	$150k	$170k
Software Engineering	3	$150k	$170k	$200k
Software Engineering	4	$162k	$180k	$205k
Software Engineering	5	$190k	$200k	$223k
Heres a major hub city like Austin, Denver, DC
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$85k	$105k	$115k	$98k
Software Engineering	2	$113k	$130k	$150k	$132k
Software Engineering	3	$128k	$142k	$155k	$148k
Software Engineering	4	$147k	$162k	$180k	$163k
Software Engineering	5	$173k	$194k	$210k	$190k
Here's other cities that arent significant tech ones, but still cities.
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$73k	$90k	$106k	$91k
Software Engineering	2	$106k	$131k	$155k	$131k
Software Engineering	3	$125k	$140k	$165k	$146k
Software Engineering	4	$140k	$160k	$180k	$161k
Software Engineering	5	$175k	$198k	$215k	$194k
Software Engineering	6	$180k	$211k	$240k	$206k

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've seen that chart before, I already know it. The guy in the tweet is specifically referring to video game experience and meta specifically, I was wondering if there is anyone else in the gaming industry who are seeing these rises. I already know that salaries are up in this industry at least 50% from this time last year, but that guy is suggesting that it's possible to demand 750k from Meta and not get immediately laughed out of the building, which is frankly obscene if there's even a hint of truth to that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes people like to say "i got a 1m offer!!!" because they got an offer for 250k a year for four years. it's dumb but people do it. i doubt thats whats happening here though cause nobody talks that way past their first offer unless they're a recruiter

750k a year TC isn't realistic even for faang in figgieland for senior, much less for mid-level (which is what "5 years experience" is)

Anything Is Possible through stock growth, of course, but by definition that can't be part of an offer

im talkin general software, not games, but i have a hard time believing that games has suddenly shot past the rest of the industry after being behind for so long. but maybe facebook is going really hard for game devs :shrug:

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a googleplex of trillionaire companies cannot afford to pay their workers or their population

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dude we're talking 350k instead of 750k this is not penury

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes people like to say "i got a 1m offer!!!" because they got an offer for 250k a year for four years. it's dumb but people do it. i doubt thats whats happening here though cause nobody talks that way past their first offer unless they're a recruiter

750k a year TC isn't realistic even for faang in figgieland for senior, much less for mid-level (which is what "5 years experience" is)

Anything Is Possible through stock growth, of course, but by definition that can't be part of an offer

im talkin general software, not games, but i have a hard time believing that games has suddenly shot past the rest of the industry after being behind for so long. but maybe facebook is going really hard for game devs :shrug:

750k seems extremely over the top, I don't think I would have the balls to ask for that even from Meta. Games and especially games engine programming is interesting because it's insanely difficult and involves virtually every technical field you learned about in your degree, especially if you're working at the systems level. From the jobs I saw at meta, there were some demanding experience in developing kernel drivers, hypervisors, memory allocation strategy and TLB management, and other extremely esoteric fields. Can someone who can do all that get 500k from one of the richest companies in the world who are trying really hard to push this weird VR chat clone? I dunno, maybe. That would be life changing money though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah i think those peeps would be like, 350 -> 500 job, which isnt life changin cuz the life changed already at 350

maybe you get a second supercar or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i do wonder what the "our company enables genocide and child rape" tax is. if facebook _isn't_ paying more than the rest of faang then thats real weird. maybe theres enough people who dont care who is hurt by what they build though (what a depressing thought)

tbh to make me start even _considering_ facebook they'd have to get high-six/low-seven figgies and frankly i like to think that even that wouldn't get me to work for them. but i do recognize that i have a price - that's one reason i wont talk to their recruiters. i dont want to give them a chance to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every worker should be making enough to where money is no longer an issue, their futures and taken care off monetarily, etc

whatever number that is

(well north of 500k/year for some fields lol)