Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Wait, what? Peter crawled into a manhole somewhere in Manhattan and then went through the sewers all the way to his Aunt's house in Queens?

faster than taking the bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New York has maybe 8 set pieces in that show, the only one you need actual transportation to is Oscorp.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My take on Evo Season 1 is that, while it is absolutely the weakest part of the whole series, it's necessary for establishing our heroes' normal lives. X-Men adaptations tend to jump right into pitchfork mobs and robots coming to kill you for being a mutant but Evo gives us two whole seasons of our heroes going to a normal school and having "normal" friends. There's a scene I really liked in Season 3 where Principal Kelly is boxing up all the school's Soccer trophies because Jean was a soccer star and they now question all her achievements because of her powers. I think it really hammers home the core of the setting seeing everybody and how they were treated before and then after they are "outed" if you will.

Toshimo posted:

Everybody love goth gf, duh.

Evo Scarlet Witch is another favorite so you're definitely onto something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't really sink all that deep into Evolution. It was okay, I just had a bit of an aversion to like big high school stories. I think it felt embarrassing to me. I wasn't a kid that idolized the idea of being a teenager, and then when I was in high school, I never felt like pop culture high school reflected anything about my experience, and X-Men Evolution had a lot of the most trivial of teen drama between actual world threats. I feel sorry for the X-Men who had to stay adult chaperones for the teens. Wasn't exactly won over by the aesthetic either. I had mixed feelings about the movie.

I think the high school superheroes I did like more didn't spend big chunks of the show vying for their position in the high school hierarchy, and even had big chunks of the show take place outside of the high school entirely. I'm thinking like Static Shock, Batman Beyond, and Spectacular Spiderman (Spectacular even put a lot of work into telling the stories of the villains developing their organized crime systems).

I guess I do kinda have to hand it to 90s Spiderman that despite so much of Spiderman being dominated by the vision of an angsty teen, and that story has been told over and over again, 90s Spiderman went straight to living independently with a job in college. People don't think much about adult Spiderman, despite the fact that he graduated in '65.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't really sink all that deep into Evolution. It was okay, I just had a bit of an aversion to like big high school stories. I think it felt embarrassing to me. I wasn't a kid that idolized the idea of being a teenager, and then when I was in high school, I never felt like pop culture high school reflected anything about my experience, and X-Men Evolution had a lot of the most trivial of teen drama between actual world threats. I feel sorry for the X-Men who had to stay adult chaperones for the teens. Wasn't exactly won over by the aesthetic either. I had mixed feelings about the movie.

I think the high school superheroes I did like more didn't spend big chunks of the show vying for their position in the high school hierarchy, and even had big chunks of the show take place outside of the high school entirely. I'm thinking like Static Shock, Batman Beyond, and Spectacular Spiderman (Spectacular even put a lot of work into telling the stories of the villains developing their organized crime systems).

I guess I do kinda have to hand it to 90s Spiderman that despite so much of Spiderman being dominated by the vision of an angsty teen, and that story has been told over and over again, 90s Spiderman went straight to living independently with a job in college. People don't think much about adult Spiderman, despite the fact that he graduated in '65.

Yeah it is weird so many adaptations of Spider-Man focus on him being a high school student when he only was one for like 2 years of the last 60 in the comics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me of how the weakest parts of Danny Phantom were often the parts that were cribbing too heavily and obviously from Silver Age Spider-Man, when me and some friends a few years ago were tossing around ideas for a Danny Phantom reboot most of the changes that were being tossed around involved those aspects specifically

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

Yeah it is weird so many adaptations of Spider-Man focus on him being a high school student when he only was one for like 2 years of the last 60 in the comics.

Peter has a relatively more acceptable excuse for never getting his poo poo together if he's indefinitely a high school kid.

Once he's an adult he should probably talk to Nick Fury, Tony Stark, or Reed Richards about getting a paid job and lodgings with security for Aunt May.

There's also the weird morass of different strongly held beliefs once you start getting into stuff like "Should Spider-Man be married?" and "Should Spider-Man have kids?" and whatnot. You would think that the creation of Miles Morales would help alleviate some of that pressure, but apparently not. There's always some Geoff Johnsian motherfucker who thinks the interpretation of the character HE grew up with is the way it OUGHT to be.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think if you're trying to adapt Spiderman and show him growing and changing then you have to start with him in high school, because how much of an incredible rear end in a top hat he is before uncle Ben's death only works if he's a teenager at the time. The 90s Spiderman did start off with him being college age and relegated the rear end in a top hat pre-hero stuff to a flashback where he was presumably a moody teen, of course.

Blockhouse posted:

Spider-Man TAS absolutely does not have good animation.

if you mean "better than Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends animation" then I'd agree
It had its moments that were animated pretty well. Unfortunately it was basically anime in that they had like a dozen better animated sequences/setpieces/cg backgrounds that they reused over and over again to save money. Hope you like watching Spidey cartwheel past those warehouse crates!

Vandar posted:

Spidey TAS is good but it's also got the worst pacing in the world and moves at like, a mile a minute. It's exhausting to watch.
Oh indeed. I think trying to binge it on Disney+ just makes this ten times worse.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wouldn't say no to the Fox Kids Animated universe getting more stuff.
Next they just need to finish up Wolverine and the X-Men, that ended on an Age of Apocalypse teaser/cliffhanger.

Skwirl posted:

"Holds up" probably isn't the right phrase, but I think X-Men '96 is worth watching for at least the first couple of seasons (through Dark Phoenix at least) even among people too young to have seen it as an artifact of it's time.

Plus if the only 90s superhero cartoon someone has seen was BTAS, it's a good way to make them realize how bad we actually had it as kids. "Oh you've seen the best super hero cartoon from the mid 90s, have you seen the second best?" Because X-Men probably is the second best which tells you everything you need to know about the rest.
We should give the second halves/seasons of the 90s Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and chunks of the Hulk cartoons some credit. After the hilariously bad and schizophrenic first production seasons of Iron Man and Fantastic Four they were completely retooled into something that did a really admirable job of capturing the sort of weird but coherent feel and appeal of the comics. Iron Man S2 (you can tell by the iconic supermullet intro) suffers a bit from "everyone is an rear end in a top hat to each other" syndrome, but it is trying to cover as much of a "Alcoholic Tony Stark in a depressive spiral alienates everyone around him" storyline as they can in a kid's cartoon, so it's admirable for that. Fantastic Four S2 (losing the bad but catchy theme song for a decent orchestral bit) aimed big and is thus is where that Galactus vs Ghost Rider scene comes from, and it also featured Ego vs Galactus as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9cDoDNo0i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

You won't find a greater contrast among these than the terrible Iron Man S1 intro and the unironically good S2 intro, but of course nothing compares to X-Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqcOGboJsk

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Peter has a relatively more acceptable excuse for never getting his poo poo together if he's indefinitely a high school kid.

Once he's an adult he should probably talk to Nick Fury, Tony Stark, or Reed Richards about getting a paid job and lodgings with security for Aunt May.

There's also the weird morass of different strongly held beliefs once you start getting into stuff like "Should Spider-Man be married?" and "Should Spider-Man have kids?" and whatnot. You would think that the creation of Miles Morales would help alleviate some of that pressure, but apparently not. There's always some Geoff Johnsian motherfucker who thinks the interpretation of the character HE grew up with is the way it OUGHT to be.

Being in his twenties and absolutely not being able to get his poo poo together makes him way more relatable to me.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

IShallRiseAgain posted:

X-men Evolution got a decent amount of seasons at least, and a decent ending. Wolverine and the X-Men deserves it more.

I always see people talk that one up and having rewatched them both recently, I can say with confidence,

Dawgstar posted:

X-Men Evolution deserves it more. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

like 80 percent of how much I'll like X-Men 97 is gonna be who they have voice acting Rogue, Gambit and Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1459208540648886277

Featuring the voice talents of original X-Men: The Animated Series cast members including Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Alison Sealy-Smith, Chris Potter, Catherine Disher, Adrian Hough, and Christopher Britton, some cast members of X-Men ‘97 will reprise their original roles, with others voicing entirely brand-new parts.

X-Men '97 will also welcome a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, and AJ LoCascio.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

lomzus posted:

X-Men '97 will also welcome a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale
Jennifer Hale... huh, I wonder if they'll finally resolve Rogue leaving Captain Marvel trapped in a mind prison coma and never ever bringing it up again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO7-zh6X60

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Being in his twenties and absolutely not being able to get his poo poo together makes him way more relatable to me.

One thing the comics has that gets lost in movies or even most TV series is the relentless pace of his superhero life. Going from supervillain to supervillain each issue and having to patrol each night and visit the Bugle constantly he doesn't have a ton of time to get his shot together.

Actually, Spider-Man 2 captures this and goes even further than I ever expected because in that movie he apparently drops whatever he's doing and suits up whenever he hears a siren. In New York.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, something that really bugged me a lot about following Spiderman in the comics a little while back is that his whole routine of constantly loving up with no excuse is so much less sympathetic when he's an adult. Especially when he gets a fancy real job instead of being a frazzled freelance photographer. All the people in his life just are constantly disappointed with him, and have to cut him breaks because they love him unconditionally, which feels a lot different when it's happening with a grown-rear end adult. Teenagers can be reflexively secretive about everything in their lives, but with an adult, Pete doesn't have much excuse for not finding anybody he could trust to be a real support network.

The way the comics dealt with it was by constantly keeping Peter's life in shambles in all sorts of ways, his superhero persona was hated and despised by the public, his aunt was literally on the verge of dying so that a big shock could do her in, JJJ and various other characters would screw with him so that he would have an excuse to be angry and all that pent-up frustration would keep him at a distance from his friends and fuel his quips as Spiderman, because that is what helps him vent, the excuse to be a jerk to maniacs.

But as Marvel became more self-aware about Spiderman's popularity, the people of New York started reflecting that, where they all love Spiderman and aren't constantly swayed by misleading news, Peter's life got some amount of wish fulfillment going, he got multiple dream jobs, Aunt May got a few decades younger, everyone around him got their acts together, but Peter Parker just continues the routine of failing his close friends and family with no excuse, and when he annoys villains it feels different when he's just this popular dude who everybody loves coming up with funny insults (especially when he's fighting villains who are somehow misunderstood).

Skwirl posted:

To be fair, the comics themselves constantly revisited his high school days in miniseries and flashbacks, so that was always sort of floating around in one way or another.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A lot of people also probably think back to Ultimate Spider-Man which did take place mostly in high school, maybe even entirely?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of people also probably think back to Ultimate Spider-Man which did take place mostly in high school, maybe even entirely?

Ultimate Peter Parker died before getting out of high-school, Miles Morales was even younger and I think is still a high school student when he got merged into 616., so that's a fair point.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lobok posted:

Wait, what? Peter crawled into a manhole somewhere in Manhattan and then went through the sewers all the way to his Aunt's house in Queens?

Fast travel point.

Skwirl posted:

Ultimate Peter Parker died before getting out of high-school, Miles Morales was even younger and I think is still a high school student when he got merged into 616., so that's a fair point.

I think Dawgstar was referring to Ultimate Spider-Man the cartoon, rather than the comic book, which (aside from sharing a name) is a different thing entirely. It was what we got after Spectacular got cancelled, and along with all the other Marvel animations of the era (although I hate to use the term "animations" on things which were barely animated) was eminently forgettable trash.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fuego Fish posted:

Fast travel point.

I think Dawgstar was referring to Ultimate Spider-Man the cartoon, rather than the comic book, which (aside from sharing a name) is a different thing entirely. It was what we got after Spectacular got cancelled, and along with all the other Marvel animations of the era (although I hate to use the term "animations" on things which were barely animated) was eminently forgettable trash.

Spectacular can’t really be called canceled, when it’s more that it aired at the worst possible time, and was impossible to renew.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter being depicted in high school is really a 21st century thing. Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic) was entirely in high school and while the Raimi stuff skipped past that period before he was truly Spider-Man, since the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon all the adaptations save for games have him high school age. For the 70s, 80s, and 90s, the two significant times I can recall that the comics revisited his high school days were that Chapter One mini-series they gave John Byrne to try to replicate what he did with Man of Steel, and the Untold Tales series that inserted a bunch of stories within and between the happenings of the original early Amazing issues.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think part of the reason Ultimate Spider-Man had such an impact (even compared to Ultimates, whose contributions were mostly stylistic in nature) is because it was running parallel to the JMS run, which was... let's call it a departure, to be generous, what with the totems and spider-eating vampire people and the Civil War tie-ins and the trading your marriage to the devil and whatnot. People who wanted a more orthodox Spider-Man story just naturally turned to Ultimate, including (especially?) anyone who might have started reading the ongoing books at the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It really had a lot going for it. It was a contrast to current stories like you said but it was also a starting point without decades of continuity for people to jump on and the baggage of terrible stories still fresh in the mind for long-time fans, it was going back to high school and really exploring that in a big way, it had some cred at that point with Bendis being known for award-winning creator-owned work plus you had GOAT Bagley on art, and they both brought a whole different style to such a major character. Plus, for many years there was a fear/excitement that Marvel was going to make the Ultimate version the only version.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 90s Spiderman cartoon was great if you were looking for that one scene of Dr Octopus’ arms smashing crates in a warehouse, which sometimes even showed up in episodes without Dr Octopus.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The 90s Spiderman cartoon was great if you were looking for that one scene of Dr Octopus’ arms smashing crates in a warehouse, which sometimes even showed up in episodes without Dr Octopus.

Daredevil and Spider-man were fighting the Kingpin in his office in season 3, and sure enough, Dr Octopus' arms smashed crates in a warehouse during that.

edit: wait, i was wrong, Peter simply backflipped into that warehouse, with Ock's evil machine in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Au3OKm7pk (16 seconds in)

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 14, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Peter being depicted in high school is really a 21st century thing. Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic) was entirely in high school and while the Raimi stuff skipped past that period before he was truly Spider-Man, since the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon all the adaptations save for games have him high school age. For the 70s, 80s, and 90s, the two significant times I can recall that the comics revisited his high school days were that Chapter One mini-series they gave John Byrne to try to replicate what he did with Man of Steel, and the Untold Tales series that inserted a bunch of stories within and between the happenings of the original early Amazing issues.

I feel like a lot of it has to do with marketing. Spider-Man is one of the few characters that can be really work with kids because he's Just Like You™. Like, kids love Batman and other heroes but in the end they're all grown ups. Spidey is a character who, in-canon, has juggled the school/superhero lives so writers have a lot more source material to work off of (even if there wasn't that much source material in the first place). Plus it helps that, you know, he's not too overpowered like Superboy and he has a great rogues gallery and [blah blah insert your own reason Spider-Man rules here]

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spiderman being in high school was one of the most important things that shaped his character at the beginning, it was a big part of forging Marvel's whole style of angsty heroes hated by the world with big problems, and the concept of an independent hero in high school was so unique and new that nearly every American high school superhero (and a surprising amount of Japanese heroes) somehow echoes the things laid down by Spiderman. Previous teen heroes either were sidekicks or were obligated to have more comical and carefree adventures, like Superboy. Or they were enlisted in the army.

And while he graduated high school fairly quickly (aside from all the times the comics revisit his high school, which the organization of comicbooks is too much bullshit for me to figure out), he spent 13 years in college barely getting his bachelor's degree, and that's just adult high school. That time his college sweetheart died stuck with the character for a long time as a more formative moment than even the death of Uncle Ben.

And somehow that led to the character getting brought back 40 years later and reinvented as multiple entirely unrelated characters that are currently moderately popular because it's somehow much easier in superhero comics to finagle a pre-established character into whatever new mold a writer wants than it is to make something new. Weird industry.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To be fair the original Gwen Stacy is still in fact dead, Spider Gwen is from an alternate Earth natively and Gwenpool just happens to be a blonde girl whose first name happens to be Gwen

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair the original Gwen Stacy is still in fact dead, Spider Gwen is from an alternate Earth natively and Gwenpool just happens to be a blonde girl whose first name happens to be Gwen

Under no circumstances is anyone to tell this guy about Gwen Stacy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Under no circumstances is anyone to tell this guy about Gwen Stacy.

Admittedly aside from Immortal Hulk I've barely paid any attention to Marvel in the last couple of years so maybe I missed something

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gwen's not dead
She's surely alive
She's living on the inside
Roaring like a lion

Let heaven roar
And fire fall
Come shake the ground
With the sound
Of revival

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I feel like a lot of it has to do with marketing. Spider-Man is one of the few characters that can be really work with kids because he's Just Like You™. Like, kids love Batman and other heroes but in the end they're all grown ups. Spidey is a character who, in-canon, has juggled the school/superhero lives so writers have a lot more source material to work off of (even if there wasn't that much source material in the first place). Plus it helps that, you know, he's not too overpowered like Superboy and he has a great rogues gallery and [blah blah insert your own reason Spider-Man rules here]

His high school years are interesting because it's easier to write stories about a character learning and experiencing growth, and it's a setting where you naturally expect to see all the familiar characters interacting often even if they don't want to see each other. It also ramps up the danger and highlights the character's lack of resources because like any adventure story about kids there's this whole notion that they have to handle things on their own since adults just don't understand or take them seriously or are busy with their own things. And as Spider-Man especially, he isn't the experienced adult hero with a cellphone full of powerful heroes to call up.

Sadly none of the high school stuff has really lived up to Ultimate because they make it so sanitized and kid-friendly and funny. In the Ultimate comics there could be real serious and terrifying and harrowing and violent stories. There was a big focus, literally, on all the emotional fallout of everything happening. It really stuck to that mission statement of "a real kid with real issues trying to be a superhero" that was originally part of the reason Spider-Man stood out from the crowd in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Heh. A fun little thing from Josh Keaton for those who remember Spectacular Spider-Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxCmYla9Yk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Heh. A fun little thing from Josh Keaton for those who remember Spectacular Spider-Man

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that was Josh Keaton in Young Justice.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MonsterEnvy posted:

haha, that's awesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Phenomenal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Somewhat tangential, but this is oddly one of the reasons I don't adore the Raimi movies (the first two, anyway) as much as most, because while it does technically skip over that stuff in the second act of the first one, it feels very much like Raimi trying to replicate those 60s books, much like Batman 66 is trying to be a tongue-in-cheek but quite accurate version of Silver Age Batman or the Donner Superman is kind of a Bronze Age Superman.

I think I have a preference for the college/grad student Spidey partly because of the 90s cartoon not shying away from that aspect. I feel similarly about Superman TAS (ironically not so much Batman, because my Batman has Oracle and the whole Family at his side) and X-Men. The high school thing also makes it really odd to try and introduce Miles without killing Peter. If Pete's older and can be a mentor figure, that's one thing. There's a reason the Spider-Verse movie pointedly made sure both Peters were at least a decade older than Miles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The most recent Spider-Man cartoon is weird that way because Miles and Gwen and Anya all get spider powers as well fairly early on and they all go to the same kid genius school and there's not a compelling reason given why Peter is all that special or different other than being first.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

The most recent Spider-Man cartoon is weird that way because Miles and Gwen and Anya all get spider powers as well fairly early on and they all go to the same kid genius school and there's not a compelling reason given why Peter is all that special or different other than being first.

No love for my girl Cindy, huh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The videos he does where he reads Spider-Man memes are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

No love for my girl Cindy, huh.

Silk was in a cartoon?