Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Achmed Jones posted:

hard ram and loud butter: the yospos story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the panacea posted:

thank god I'm not the only one who got problems if those.

my current technique involves chopsticks and a blood offering to the Noctua D14.

lmao yep, it's a good cooler by god drat is it a pain to work around

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

deep in an underground bunker 2500 feet below the earths mantle in Denver Colorado, Jonny 290 undertakes the most daunting task: safely install 128GB of DDR4. he wipes the sweat from his brow as he stares at a the Asus ROG 360 NoScOpE special edition RGB motherboard and matched Ballistix ram with gold anodized heat sinks.

“here we go” he mutters to the team pumping oxygen to keep them all alive deep below the earths surface. “it’s a risk, but the extra chrome tabs will be worth it”. he grabs the glistening ram stick and has to make the hardest decision of his life…….one side first, or both sides at the same time. existence itself hangs in the balance and only he can make the call.

Jonny steels himself and says aloud, as record for future generations “we’re going full insertion, both tabs at the same time”. a gasp is heard from the bystanders. they’ve only heard of this technique, it’s never been tried.

the ram shines in the harsh laboratory lights. the pressing begins. the ram moves downwards

at the same time, clear across the earth, in Australia:

lmfao. also nice touch using an actual clip from that earthquake near melbourne a few months ago.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lmfao. also nice touch using an actual clip from that earthquake near melbourne a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T32YvlEYS7I

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao i am such a moron!!! in my defence it does kinda look similar? but also i shouldn't have dismissed the giant loving TVNZ watermark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadFl8Y8iVA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i know this is a fairly dire situation but their reaction cracks me up

"poo poo! gently caress! uhhh...what? where do we...should I...you? gently caress!"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also a pretty good illustration of why unreinforced brick buildings are bad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that’s why I live in a building made of the safest material known to man - wood.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

deep in an underground bunker 2500 feet below the earths mantle in Denver Colorado, Jonny 290 undertakes the most daunting task: safely install 128GB of DDR4. he wipes the sweat from his brow as he stares at a the Asus ROG 360 NoScOpE special edition RGB motherboard and matched Ballistix ram with gold anodized heat sinks.

“here we go” he mutters to the team pumping oxygen to keep them all alive deep below the earths surface. “it’s a risk, but the extra chrome tabs will be worth it”. he grabs the glistening ram stick and has to make the hardest decision of his life…….one side first, or both sides at the same time. existence itself hangs in the balance and only he can make the call.

Jonny steels himself and says aloud, as record for future generations “we’re going full insertion, both tabs at the same time”. a gasp is heard from the bystanders. they’ve only heard of this technique, it’s never been tried.

the ram shines in the harsh laboratory lights. the pressing begins. the ram moves downwards

at the same time, clear across the earth, in Australia:

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
These sticks of ram I just found
https://www.amazon.com/OLOy-Warhawk-288-Pin-Desktop-MD4U163618DEDA/dp/B08B1FBNR7/

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that’s some good poo poo, Chumbawumba4ever97.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
After all my bs about how much better modern cases are, my 3070 rocked up on Monday and claimed a blood sacrifice as is the way.

Unfortunately I didn't notice immediately, and now some of my white PSU cables & a ram stick have pink/red stains on them :barf:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

gently caress you got the last ones

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

that’s why I live in a building made of the safest material known to man - wood.
:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Truman Peyote posted:

in addition to whatever copy protection I'm sure it had, Leisure Suit Larry would ensure the player was over 18 at startup by asking questions that only adults would know the answers to, such as "john, paul, ringo, and ____?"

lol I was like 8 or 9 and I'd ask my mum to help. she had no idea lma

Carthag Tuek posted:

in one of them, you could tell how many you got right by spying on your neighbor and she'd have the drapes up if you got em all

what a creeper lol

number 3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what you need, when you need it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

being able to T9 text without even looking at the keypad

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

present day: virtual t9 keyboards on a modern, bona-fide iOS 15.1 iPhone 13.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Midjack posted:

hell yeah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

crazysim posted:

present day: virtual t9 keyboards on a modern, bona-fide iOS 15.1 iPhone 13.

wouldn’t work without the tactile feel of the keys though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that vaporware phone that was supposed to have swappable modules

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i imagine me typing a text on a 3310 would look like this to a gen z:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPsgEdmlUf0&t=3s

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Progressive JPEG posted:

the internet mania for swappable module upgrade based laptops about the same time

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

Motorola Aria, if I'm not mistaken. Absorbed into Google

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Didn't it come out and bomb, predictably?

I remember their compelling modules were "phone speaker, but bigger" and "phone camera, but bigger"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the handheld ham radio i use to talk to the other goon hams can send and receive texts, and features t9 layout. it rules

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

non-circular cds

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the handheld ham radio i use to talk to the other goon hams can send and receive texts, and features t9 layout. it rules

I want to get into packet radio. Link to project?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mantle posted:

I want to get into packet radio. Link to project?

well, DMR (which is a digital voice network that supports some SMS type features) is distinct from packet, though you can send messages from one network to another

I can help with both! but we should reroute to the ham thread

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

reactos

looks like it's still pretty active

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
GNU/Hurd

and there are apparently people actually still working on it:
https://git.sceen.net/hurd/hurd.git/log/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

shoeberto posted:

Didn't it come out and bomb, predictably?

Just looked it up, it was quietly cancelled. Disappointing but I suppose but surprising.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AtomD posted:

:drat:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jonny 290 posted:

the handheld ham

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read in an old magazine in highschool that CDs were going away and we'd use glass cubes to store data.

https://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Cube-could-spell-the-death-of-the-disc-as-memory-moves-into-the-third-dimension

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AtomD posted:

neat trivia: in the latter part of the 19th century telegrams became so important that operators had to send at like 30+ words per minute all day long. They started complaining of stiffness, pain and neuropathy in their sending hand, which, as 'shell shock' is to PTSD, was actually what we now know as RSI and just didn't have the term for it.

To alleviate this, the 'semi-automatic key' was designed. Tap it to the left manually for dashes. But for dots, you can hold it to the right, and a spring-action pendulum arm repeatedly makes and breaks a contact at a constant speed! It saved the hands of thousands of operators and also increased send speed across the board. A lot of hams still like these and once you learn what they sound like, it's super easy to pick them out on the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7WldaCvS8&t=67s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is kinda fun. the guy is using one of those automatic keyers i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuRE-Bwk1U

i think they screwed up using dudes for the sms though. run those morse code operators against a pair of 13 year old girls and we'd have a real competition

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 16, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

why is the Morse guy dressed like a blackjack dealer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean