Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. Some more info from the SKSE dev.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/q6czcc/pc_sse_an_important_psa_regarding_skyrim/

Wonder what was in that 59K patch for FNV last week then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Well it looks like I've played Skyrim for the last time. It had a good run.

This poo poo is why I'm glad I could get FNV from GOG, so I can't have unwanted updates that break all my mods forced on me.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

And of course this happens right as I finish months of modding and am about to start a big run. Sigh.

Is there a neater way to turn off updates for a game in Steam than just turning it to "only update when I launch" and then only launching offline?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Always use the Script Extender, that will bypass the check.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

v1ld posted:

i think it might have just been your saves synching or something like that. steam does stuff like that occasionally when you close the game and it shows up as a download

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

And of course this happens right as I finish months of modding and am about to start a big run. Sigh.

Is there a neater way to turn off updates for a game in Steam than just turning it to "only update when I launch" and then only launching offline?

There's this comment in that linked Skyrim thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods...web2x&context=3

Can't be used until they do update FNV, it's to prevent further updates - not that useful.

In the meantime, I backed up my entire FNV steam folder until this plays out. It's 12GB, which isn't that bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure this, from the linked post:

quote:

I won't cover this here as it requires a third-party program to "unlock" the feature through Steam's console, but you can investigate this yourself.

Refers to a thing that violates Steam's TOS and can get you banned from Steam if they ever get a bug up their rear end about it. Probably will never happen but still a hell of a risk.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Good point. Though that warning seems to refer to downloading an old version of the game through Steam, so maybe just back up all the files yourself for now? Or even just the exe file as the SKSE dev suggests.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

v1ld posted:

someone on the nexus told me it was "probably an update to the Steam integration for the game rather than the game itself"

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I've been doing my second playthrough of NV and I wanted to be a huge jerk this time around but I found that I just couldn't do it, I can't just gently caress over Goodsprings right from the start, they're nice :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Listen, if you can't bring yourself to blow Sunny Smiles' head off with her own varmint rifle and her little dog's too, then an Evil Karma playthrough just isn't your thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSdsMryegY

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/74257?tab=description

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm not sure if there's a thread for fo3 specifically but i found this one so i'm posting here. planning on my first run in a few years and i'm wondering if there's a guide for fo3 like viva new vegas i should look at, cuz when setting up NV i ran into the part of the guide with all the project nevada replacements and i'm curious if fo3 wanderer's edition has been made obsolete. second, i ran into that LODGen program and was wondering if that is a replacement for the old GridstoLoad and Interior/Exterior Cell Buffer .ini adjustments or to be used in conjunction with it. thanks

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Floodixor posted:

I've been doing my second playthrough of NV and I wanted to be a huge jerk this time around but I found that I just couldn't do it, I can't just gently caress over Goodsprings right from the start, they're nice :(

It helps not to think of them as people, but bags of ammo that will eventually stop screaming.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

site posted:

i'm not sure if there's a thread for fo3 specifically but i found this one so i'm posting here. planning on my first run in a few years and i'm wondering if there's a guide for fo3 like viva new vegas i should look at, cuz when setting up NV i ran into the part of the guide with all the project nevada replacements and i'm curious if fo3 wanderer's edition has been made obsolete. second, i ran into that LODGen program and was wondering if that is a replacement for the old GridstoLoad and Interior/Exterior Cell Buffer .ini adjustments or to be used in conjunction with it. thanks

Fallout 3 recently had a patch for the first time in over a decade. It broke FOSE and last I heard there was no ETA on an update. Apparently fallout3.exe was recompiled in a different version of visual studio altogether and the script extender team doesn't have time to look for the new addresses. So most mods are currently broken with no hope of ever being fixed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i use the gog version so that doesn't apply to me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

site posted:

The VNV person, Qolore, made a guide for TTW (Tale of Two Wastelands), which I take is now the recommended way of playing FO3. It's basically FO3 ported to FNV, if you're unaware, with all the upgrades and modding/scripting advancement that entails.

The guide is comparatively bare bones though, because a lot of mods don't play nice with TTW. I think it's still fairly moddable, and you'll find plenty of TTW specific mods and patches on the NV Nexus, but Qolore clearly wanted to keep things simple.

https://thebestoftimes.github.io/intro.html

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

site posted:

Qolore, the person who made VNV, also made The Best of Times, a mod guide for Tale of Two Wastelands, which in itself is a huge mod that implements the entirety of Fallout 3 into New Vegas, allowing you to play that game with FNV's engine upgrades and various excellent mods. I haven't personally ever played TTW, but I trust Qolore to write a good mod guide.

e: drat, beaten by literal seconds

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Alright I'll take a look, thanks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any mod to play Kenshiro in any of the Fallout games?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any mod to play Kenshiro in any of the Fallout games?

There is a Fist of the North Star mod for New Vegas
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44755/

Beyond that im not sure if there is any big muscle man body replacers or a Kung Fu family melodrama quest mods.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 9, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

dbzfandiego posted:

There is a Fist of the North Star mod for New Vegas
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44755/

Beyond that im not sure if there is any big muscle man body replacers or a Kung Fu family melodrama quest mods.

Thanks! Gonna install that for sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The person behind JAM (the mod compilation that adds sprint, waypoints, etc.) released an NVSE UI plugin today that adds support for displaying inventory icons next to their names. Also fixes a sorting bug.

yUI - User Ynterface (the plugin)
ySI - Sorting Ycons

Compatible with VUI+ and Darn.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Booted up FNV to try that out and it's neat. So cool the legs this game's modding community still has.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The FIst of the North Star mod is too old and doesn't work. :negative:

Rinkles posted:

The person behind JAM (the mod compilation that adds sprint, waypoints, etc.) released an NVSE UI plugin today that adds support for displaying inventory icons next to their names. Also fixes a sorting bug.

yUI - User Ynterface (the plugin)
ySI - Sorting Ycons

Compatible with VUI+ and Darn.

Looks cool. Honestly the inventory and UI is the worst part of the game imho.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not gonna vouch for anything, but someone in the the comments says they fixed it

jigsaw posted:

I've uploaded a pre-fixed version of the mod for anyone who wants to try it without the hassle of using the GECK:https://z.zz.fo/N0vbM.zip

EDIT: Link updated!

EDIT 2: Link updated again!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's already dead

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm thinking about a new gimmick run which is basically going to be Hitman: New Vegas. I made a list of nearly every named character in the game and will feed it to an RNG, which will pick one to be the contract giver. I'll get to that person as expeditiously as possible, at which point I'll have the RNG choose a target that I have to go and (quietly, if possible) kill, then return to the quest giver for payment. Which I guess will be something like 500 caps base, 1000 for a "clean" kill (no one else noticed me performing it), only 250 if I have to kill anyone else in my approach or escape. FNV's stealth system is super easy to break over your knee once you get Sneak up past about 50 so I may get bored with it quickly, or I may keep going until I've depopulated the entire Mojave just for kicks, I dunno. I'll probably beeline to finishing Ring-a-ding-ding! and giving the Chip to House first and then retire from the courier business to be an assassin instead.

Obviously a lot of console fuckery will have to be involved. I imagine I'll quickly end up Vilified by every faction, I might allow myself a mechanic like the old Mercenaries games where you could pay a huge pile of money to reset your standing with a faction to Disliked or whatever the minimum for "won't attack you on sight" is.

Any recommendations for mods beyond the bog standard VNV setup that might fit with that? Or does a mod that basically already does all of that exist and I overlooked it? I'd make it myself if I weren't so lazy and incompetent, but, y'know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's still a WiP (but I think mostly functional?), but Leave No Witnesses might make things a little more interesting.
  • NPCs will now remember seeing the player.
  • NPCs will now remember seeing a dead ally.
  • If they have recently seen both the player and a dead ally, they will become hostile and be marked as a witness.
  • If you let the witness live, they will eventually notify their faction about the death (Infamy Gained).
  • If your reputation title with a faction is vilified or you have been recently reported, you'll become a shoot-on-sight threat.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
rope kid is going to be streaming Project Mojave for Obsidian's charity stream tonight, starts in a bit.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1458218521964417024

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Have they added more content since the last time a preview was posted?

;e
Is there a vod anywhere I can catch Sawyers' stream? Can't believe i missed that.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 14, 2021

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

We finally started our New Vegas Let's Play over the LP forums!

Thank you all again, from me and Fleta McGurn, for helping hone down our mod lists. I hope you'll enjoy screwing around in this classic game with us!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is kind of an academic question, but does the JSawyer mod alter the way DT and DR are applied? The Fallout wiki claims DR is applied first and the resulting damage is then further reduced by DT, but I just tested it in my game (after losing a permadeath run to a Golden Gecko crit), and I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. First DT reduces the damage, then it's further modified by DR. The only mods I'm using are the utilities recommended by Viva New Vegas, which I assume don't change anything about in-game formulas, and JSawyer.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is kind of an academic question, but does the JSawyer mod alter the way DT and DR are applied? The Fallout wiki claims DR is applied first and the resulting damage is then further reduced by DT, but I just tested it in my game (after losing a permadeath run to a Golden Gecko crit), and I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. First DT reduces the damage, then it's further modified by DR. The only mods I'm using are the utilities recommended by Viva New Vegas, which I assume don't change anything about in-game formulas, and JSawyer.

it's done by JIP LN NVSE

quote:

bIgnoreDTDRFix - Fixes the Ignore DT/DR effect (mostly found in some melee/unarmed weapons), which is completely broken in the game. In addition, modifies the game's damage-reduction calculation, such that DT is subtracted BEFORE DR is applied.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I really should have read the actual changelogs of the things I installed before asking a stupid question. Thanks.

I actually kind of like the change because it makes stacking DR slightly less powerful, though I'm surprised they bothered to implement it since I never heard of anyone really minding the original system.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Does anyone have Lombard Station kicking around somewhere? Also, we're not using either Ojo's or NMC's texture packs anymore?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think I downloaded it from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5pm4i4egtiky4n/lombardstation-Final.rar

README says:
Lombard Station, Final Release
Released: Satuday, November 5, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

v1ld posted:

I think I downloaded it from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5pm4i4egtiky4n/lombardstation-Final.rar

README says:
Lombard Station, Final Release
Released: Satuday, November 5, 2011

Grazie, that's the one. Years ago, some goon was doing a killer remake/update of Lombard Station but he had to stop before he finished. I wish we'd gotten that one, but alas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Grazie, that's the one. Years ago, some goon was doing a killer remake/update of Lombard Station but he had to stop before he finished. I wish we'd gotten that one, but alas.

Yeah, that was King of Swag. He did fix a bug where 20 gauge shotgun ammo would disappear into the aether though, make sure you install that alongside the rest of the mod:

The King of Swag posted:

I've done a little experimenting and found that it doesn't occur when I sort, only when I stock the ammo. I also tried sorting and stocking different calibers separately. I've found that including 20 gauge 3/0 buck (from the Gun Runners Arsenal DLC) to be sorted with the other calibers causes the bug, but it doesn't happen at all if I don't include it. I don't know if this bug also occurs with regular 20 gauge buck, as I don't have any on hand to try it with.

I'm terrible at experimenting; looking at the code shows that the values used for most of the 20 gauge ammo types are wrong. The sorting system is grabbing 24 shells at a time, but only placing 12 on the shelf, effectively halving your stock of 20 gauge shells.

===== Fix Added =====
Lombard Station - Ammo Sorting Fix
Replace Lombard Station.esp and Lombard Station - Gun Runners Arsenal.esp (if you have this DLC) with the downloaded files.

It took me way too long to fix this; finding the bug in Lombard Station was the easy part, and boiled down to finding and changing values in a couple scripts. What took so long was that I didn't realize that you can't make patches for .esp files, only .esm files. This meant that none of my changes were actually saved by the GECK, so I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out why my fix wasn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, we're not using either Ojo's or NMC's texture packs anymore?

i still use NMC's :shrug: