Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Does anyone want to do the factory reset thing with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Alctel posted:

Does anyone want to do the factory reset thing with me?

I've already factory reset so I can't do the double one that gets you $60, but if you can't find someone to double dip with I will do a referral for you

just pm your facebook and accept my friend request

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just got a refurb HP Reverb G2 from eBay today and it’s the first time I’ve thought that I’d actually be able to comfortably read text on a virtual monitor in VR. I don’t think I’d actually want to since I’ve got a nice big monitor, but the clarity is still astonishing. Assetto Corsa, flight simulator (after LOTS of tweaking settings and OpenXR stuff), Elite Dangerous, and Alyx all look incredible and are butter smooth.

Bye Facebook.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If you don't already have them (or have index controllers) I recommend finding old lenovo explorer controllers on ebay as well. They are compatible and better for some games thanks to the clicky touchpads and thus much higher number of
inputs (it's the thing that the OP calls "The other WMR controller").

Maybe not a priority but can be nice for games made for touchpad controls, like "I want you to die" and whatnot. Also for modded skyrim thanks to all the inputs, I assume for flightsims without a stick as well.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2021

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.deca.net/news/shortage-meta-financials-its-time-to-pivot/

quote:

Shortage, Meta, Financials, It’s Time to Pivot

The shortage in the consumer electronics market affects badly small companies like us and it is not going to be resolved in the near future. Semiconductors crave for big orders while investors see too many risks for substantial investment. Even if we solve the financial issues and produce the headset as is, its current price is ~$700, more than double the cost of the Quest 2.

We don’t want to sell expensive hardware, as high prices cripple VR growth potential. Despite the issues in the market, Facebook continues to manufacture and sell the Q2 for the same price. They can do it forever because they write this subsidization as an investment which will yield profit at a later stage through their ecosystem. This is a double-edged sword for the XR market because while they are expediting usage with great products at low prices they also get to monopolize the market.

Even at $700, we don’t have a sustainable business model as once you guys get the DecaGear headset, you will buy content on SteamVR and Valve are not splitting their store revenues with anyone.

First and foremost, we are not stopping, we are here, working. We have invested a lot of time, resources, passion and money from our own pockets in this venture. And we have pre-orders from 10 thousands members of this great community!

So what now? It is time to pivot and change to a direction that will allow us to build a future in VR towards an open ecosystem. I started with the inability of device makers like us to compete with ecosystems such as Facebook (Meta), but this is true for content publishers as well because they are bound by the rules and restrictions of the host ecosystem, dictating what content to publish and how to monetize it. (Epic – Apple case is a good example) Similar to the situation in the ‘Mobile Web’ where we can choose between the AppStore or the PlayStore, we will soon see a few mega-corporations corner the XR market through controlled ecosystems. I also don’t think that the current status quo where Facebook allows using their headsets with SteamVR will continue for long. It is serving a purpose for now.

We think that we manage to form a solution and I will share more about it here during the next week.

This is the new timeline for DecaGear and I am really sorry we didn’t manage to execute the previous timeline on time:
* Q2 2022 – Blogger edition goes to bloggers
* Q4 2022 – Limited edition of DecaGear is produce and shipped by us
* Q4 2022 – DecaGear is sold and shipped by other device makers (this is part of the new solution which I will share soon)
* Q2 2023 DecaBrick OS is released
* Q3 2023 DecaBrick is sold and shipped by other device makers

You guys are the pioneers of our industry. In a few years from now, most of the current internet users will use XR devices on a daily basis for browsing the spatial web and I hope we will see a different picture from how the ‘Mobile Web’ looks today.

Will be in touch very soon.

– Or Kuntzman

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is the "pivot" simply that it's going to be another year before their headset production happens? That's not really much of a pivot, unless there is something else to it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

lol of course.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

You guys are the pioneers of our industry. In a few years from now, most of the current internet users will use XR devices on a daily basis for browsing the spatial web and I hope we will see a different picture from how the ‘Mobile Web’ looks today.

Absolutely not gonna happen lol these guys are delusional if they actually believe that

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Private Speech posted:

If you don't already have them (or have index controllers) I recommend finding old lenovo explorer controllers on ebay as well. They are compatible and better for some games thanks to the clicky touchpads and thus much higher number of
inputs (it's the thing that the OP calls "The other WMR controller").

Maybe not a priority but can be nice for games made for touchpad controls, like "I want you to die" and whatnot. Also for modded skyrim thanks to all the inputs, I assume for flightsims without a stick as well.

I actually really like the reverb g2 controllers. They match the oculus layout and aside from having no capacitive finger tracking (which I don’t find necessary since I don’t play vrchat) and the battery life, they seem just fine.

I 3D printed a shorter replacement face gasket and stuck a vr-cover facial interface intended for a quest 2 onto it and it hugely increased the FOV and enlarged the sweet spot. Well worth doing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I see Deca's problem though (and not without a certain amount of internal wincing in sympathy.)

Their product looked great when it was originally announced, but other hardware since has basically dumpstered them. Their forward-looking (at the time) feature set is now considered a normal level of expectation.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Absolutely not gonna happen lol these guys are delusional if they actually believe that

We're just one earth-ending gateway accident from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YRTY5G8YRs

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I booted up my VR headset for the first time in like 2+ months to play Beat Saber last night. Had some weird stuttering FPS issues I've never had before. Just today I noticed I had a headset update to download... And now my speakers don't seem to work?

Sound just comes out my PC speakers instead of the Index's speakers :thunk:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

...most of the current internet users will use XR devices on a daily basis for browsing the spatial web...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FGzE4endQ

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I booted up my VR headset for the first time in like 2+ months to play Beat Saber last night. Had some weird stuttering FPS issues I've never had before. Just today I noticed I had a headset update to download... And now my speakers don't seem to work?

Sound just comes out my PC speakers instead of the Index's speakers :thunk:

That happened to me the other day. Unplugging and replugging the breakaway cable fixed it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I started to click through every Output device listed in Windows sound settings, after clicking on like 2 options the headset randomly suddenly showed up in the list of devices.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I sometimes need to open the device manager after launching SteamVR and right click Computer Name -> Scan for Hardware Changes for it to properly detect my headset as an audio output device

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sab669 posted:

:shrug: I started to click through every Output device listed in Windows sound settings, after clicking on like 2 options the headset randomly suddenly showed up in the list of devices.

I have to open the sound device manager thingy every single time to get it to show and default correctly.

Something with windows + the headset update. No idea. but thats my fix.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How strange. Hope I don't need to start doing this every time I wanna play :v:

It was too hot over the summer to strap a headset on and flail my arms around for any length of time, but now that it's getting cold again and the heat/insulation in my apartment sucks rear end I suspect I'm gonna log a lot of hours in Beat Saber this winter

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Sab669 posted:

That's apparently an issue with the Nvidia HD Audio power management. I thought it was fixed a while a go in their drivers, but if not, there should be a registry fix to disable the power management.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Recently, every time I put my headset on the lenses immediately fog up, literally every single time, and it takes a while for them to clear; wiping them myself just makes them fog up again instantly when I put it back on. I have the heating on but it isn't super warm, could it be to do with that? Like maybe the lenses are too cold when I first put it on until the headset heats up a bit? I don't really want to have to warm up my Quest in winter like a loving car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The air in front of your face is 80+ degrees and 95% humidity

Sounds like you live in a place where it snows. Yeah even a 15 degree change can have a big impact. Sounds like you keep your house at like, 60 degrees in the winter

If you're getting condensation might take 15+ minutes for everything in the unit to heat up to body temp, my guess is your lenses are fairly thermally decoupled from the CPU/GPU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I'm in the UK, so it is currently cold and damp even by British standards. I'll try getting it warmed up a bit and see if that makes a difference.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, I'm in the UK, so it is currently cold and damp even by British standards. I'll try getting it warmed up a bit and see if that makes a difference.

Seconding the temp dif.

If my office is under 65 freedom units, good chance im gonna fog up instantly or really fast.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
criminal that the bourgeoisie refuse to put condensation-proof plastic in your headset

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have a few questions as I'm considering getting a VR headset, and I've tried reading the OP and recent posts but I'm still a little hazy on some things (so apologies if this is covered frequently).

I'll mention that I have tried VR with a PSVR however it is a little difficult/blurry to see and I'm unsure if that is due to my eyesight or just the older technology in those as the OP does state they are quite dated now, but this is a worry for me in wanting to get a decent VR headset in case my poor eyesight is an issue.

I'm mostly planning on using a VR setup for my PC as I have some VR games there already, so I've been thinking about getting an Oculus Quest 2 as it seems quite good and within my pricerange. Also I can play some games without my PC from it's storefront, and I think there are exclusive games so this would be a decent option I think. The facebook account thing doesn't bother me much because they already know every detail of my boring life. The other optoion would be a Valve Index but that is much more expensive (and out of my pricerange really) unless people heavily suggest I should get one of those instead and I'll try to save extra over the coming months.

Most of my questions are based on my original plan of an Oculus Quest 2 although I'm sure some might apply to all VR headsets:

1) I know that the Quest 2 can connect to PC via a wireless option but for playing games would doing it wirelesssly or getting a cable for wired be a better option? Also I think I need to buy some kind of extra software to let the Quest work wirelessly on the PC too?

2) How would the headset work with headphones (specifically I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNAAI), so would I be able to wear these headphones along with a VR headset? If they work would I want them connected directly into the Quest or plugged into my PC where I normally have them?

3) I have thick glasses because I have terrible eyesight so I am a little worried about lenses becoming scratched; the information for the Quest 2 states it comes with a glasses spacer, so would that be fine or should I invest into something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089FB5W1N? I have seen that I could buy custom prescription lens inserts to avoid scratching issues which I looked into briefly but the cost for those are absurdly high for me due to my high prescription.

4) How is the included headstrap for the Quest 2? Is it comfortable enough to wear to extended periods or am I better off investing into the Elite strap? I have seen some people suggest a third party strap rather than the Oculus one and some brief searching on Amazon gave me this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LYKJ1PS/, so would this be acceptable? Addtionally related to the headphone question, would a strap like this still allow me to waear headphones?

Apologies for the many questions, but I have tried to read the thread as much as I can to find answers for these (and did find answers for some questions I didn't need to ask in the end) but the thread is quite large and I may have missed them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m really hoping Meta’s YOLO approach to HMDs does what Apple did for flash memory and drives down the cost of parts to the point of 3rd parties being readily able to enter the market.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Wireless with the quest2 is mostly fine, as long as you are in the same room as the router and the computer is directly connected to said router. Mesh networks can get iffy on high reaction games (see: beatsaber, et al) but there are good USB 3.0 cables you can get. I use one.

Headphones should be fine, as long as they are a standard jack with no mic input. For some reason in quest2 environment audio was working fine on a set of earbuds that had a mic inline , but refused to work in pcvr. Solved by getting a custom set of earbuds for quest2 with custom lengths.

For glasses, your mileage may vary with how comfortable your glasses are. Many of us nearsighted nerds hit up vroptician.com to custom order lenses. Very nice quality, but they do come from Germany so prob worth springing for the extra shipping.

I'm still using the default strap but it pinches my nose making me be a mouth breather in vr unless I get it juuust right. I'm open to suggestions here too.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

1) I use airlink exclusively now for PC VR. There's probably still some one off reasons to buy VR Desktop, but I haven't used it in months.

3) I went with VR Optician lenses, which are great, however I went back to contacts recently to get closer to the screen for a better FOV.

2/4) DAS Frankenquest is the best headstrap. Elite strap breaks in 6 months, original strap is not great.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 15, 2021

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

DelphiAegis posted:

Many of us nearsighted nerds hit up vroptician.com to custom order lenses. Very nice quality, but they do come from Germany so prob worth springing for the extra shipping.

Those Index prescription lenses are surprsingly cheap. I thought they'd be 100€+ but my total comes around only 75€ with shipping.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Sounds about right. They do charge more for rx over 4.0 I believe, so with me being extra blind, it came to ~120 freedom units. Still worth it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DelphiAegis posted:

Headphones should be fine, as long as they are a standard jack with no mic input. For some reason in quest2 environment audio was working fine on a set of earbuds that had a mic inline , but refused to work in pcvr. Solved by getting a custom set of earbuds for quest2 with custom lengths.

Some mic input stuff is fine, I use a pair of Apple Earpods with mine and it has no issues with those. The issue with using a pair of over-ears like the DT770s is that the strap is almost certainly going to be over some part of your ear, so you're not going to get a great seal and they might end up being kinda uncomfortable. You might want to look into getting some IEMs if you can wear those.

RoboJoe posted:

1) I know that the Quest 2 can connect to PC via a wireless option but for playing games would doing it wirelesssly or getting a cable for wired be a better option? Also I think I need to buy some kind of extra software to let the Quest work wirelessly on the PC too?
You don't need to buy extra software, the Quest now has a feature (albeit one still in beta and listed as experimental) called AirLink built into the firmware. The issue with that though tends to be battery life, so if you have stuff you think you're going to want to be playing for more than an hour and a half like a flight sim or sim racing you probably want to grab something like an Anker USB3 cable just to extend your potential play time.

quote:

4) How is the included headstrap for the Quest 2? Is it comfortable enough to wear to extended periods or am I better off investing into the Elite strap? I have seen some people suggest a third party strap rather than the Oculus one and some brief searching on Amazon gave me this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LYKJ1PS/, so would this be acceptable? Addtionally related to the headphone question, would a strap like this still allow me to waear headphones?

I find the base strap to be fine enough, but a 3rd party halo strap like that one is going to be good for longer sessions. I've defended the Elite Strap in the past but I recently got it out to change it back onto my Quest and it somehow managed to shatter itself in its original box. None of these straps will stop you plugging headphones in, since that port is on the main body of the Quest itself but they'll probably have the same issue of the strap going over part of your ears.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

RoboJoe posted:

I have a few questions as I'm considering getting a VR headset, and I've tried reading the OP and recent posts but I'm still a little hazy on some things (so apologies if this is covered frequently).

I'll mention that I have tried VR with a PSVR however it is a little difficult/blurry to see and I'm unsure if that is due to my eyesight or just the older technology in those as the OP does state they are quite dated now, but this is a worry for me in wanting to get a decent VR headset in case my poor eyesight is an issue.

I'm mostly planning on using a VR setup for my PC as I have some VR games there already, so I've been thinking about getting an Oculus Quest 2 as it seems quite good and within my pricerange. Also I can play some games without my PC from it's storefront, and I think there are exclusive games so this would be a decent option I think. The facebook account thing doesn't bother me much because they already know every detail of my boring life. The other optoion would be a Valve Index but that is much more expensive (and out of my pricerange really) unless people heavily suggest I should get one of those instead and I'll try to save extra over the coming months.

Most of my questions are based on my original plan of an Oculus Quest 2 although I'm sure some might apply to all VR headsets:

2) How would the headset work with headphones (specifically I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNAAI), so would I be able to wear these headphones along with a VR headset? If they work would I want them connected directly into the Quest or plugged into my PC where I normally have them?

3) I have thick glasses because I have terrible eyesight so I am a little worried about lenses becoming scratched; the information for the Quest 2 states it comes with a glasses spacer, so would that be fine or should I invest into something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089FB5W1N? I have seen that I could buy custom prescription lens inserts to avoid scratching issues which I looked into briefly but the cost for those are absurdly high for me due to my high prescription.

Apologies for the many questions, but I have tried to read the thread as much as I can to find answers for these (and did find answers for some questions I didn't need to ask in the end) but the thread is quite large and I may have missed them.

1. I think wireless is better. I can't go back to having a cord attached to my HMD. You can do wireless with Oculus software for free via Airlink, or try Virtual Desktop. I had Virtual Desktop before Airlink came out and still use it.

2. Those are the exact headphones I have, but I don't use them for VR. It adds a decent amount of extra weight, and I couldn't find a good solution for cord management. You really don't appreciate how long (and suprisingly heavy) the cord is until you only need about 6 inches of it. I use these. I don't absolutely love them, though. I always feel weird talking out loud when I have earbuds in, but I haven't found a pair of over-ears that work well for me. People seem to love the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap. You'll need some 3d printed parts to make them fit the Quest, though.

3. Dunno!

4. The strap it comes with is bad, you're going to want to replace it. I used the one you linked for a minute, but it hurt the back of my head, so I switched to this BOBOVR M2. I really like it so far, even if I can't find a good way to strap a battery to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is something you dont see often: GearVR news its dead

quote:

Android 12 for the Galaxy S10, S10+ S10e and S10 5G will begin rolling out in December, 2021, and Gear VR will no longer be supported on devices that update to Android 12.

If you wish to continue using Gear VR with the listed devices, please do not update your phone OS.
Note: once you update your phone, you will not be able to revert to the previous OS version.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The biggest benefit of a halo strap is you can rig it to not gently caress up your hair. Hat hair has nothing on the VR head strap reverse Mohawk look. :biglips:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leathal posted:

The biggest benefit of a halo strap is you can rig it to not gently caress up your hair. Hat hair has nothing on the VR head strap reverse Mohawk look. :biglips:

I just shaved my head into the reverse mohawk for optimal headstrap grip.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I just shaved my head into the reverse mohawk for optimal headstrap grip.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thank you for the responses everyone, it's much appreciated and helps guide me in what I want to do, especially with the wireless part and having the free software as part of it now. I suppose I could just try my headphones but if they are uncomfortable or I can't quite get them to fit then just using some earpods of some kind is the best way to go. It sounds like I definitely want a better strap than what comes with it too.

The one thing I'm still unsure about is protecting the lenses and whether I should get some kind of extra protective thing such as I linked in my previous post, or if the Glasses Spacer that comes with the Quest 2 will be good enough. I did have a look on the VRoptician site mentioned by a couple of you, but I'd be looking at £140 or so (and then extra for whatever dumb charges come due to brexit for importing from the EU) for a pair of lenses which might be worth it but it's still quite a lot. Maybe I could consider those for the future though and just protect the default lenses as best I can.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Warbird posted:

I’m really hoping Meta’s YOLO approach to HMDs does what Apple did for flash memory and drives down the cost of parts to the point of 3rd parties being readily able to enter the market.

For now and for as long as there is a component shortage 3rd parties will have significant trouble: https://www.deca.net/news/shortage-meta-financials-its-time-to-pivot/

tl;dr VR demand too high (supply shortages for smaller orders and even larger orders), price too low (demand for non-Quest too low for competitively priced headsets), too much competition on high-end headsets that don’t touch consumers anyway

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RoboJoe posted:

Thank you for the responses everyone, it's much appreciated and helps guide me in what I want to do, especially with the wireless part and having the free software as part of it now. I suppose I could just try my headphones but if they are uncomfortable or I can't quite get them to fit then just using some earpods of some kind is the best way to go. It sounds like I definitely want a better strap than what comes with it too.

The one thing I'm still unsure about is protecting the lenses and whether I should get some kind of extra protective thing such as I linked in my previous post, or if the Glasses Spacer that comes with the Quest 2 will be good enough. I did have a look on the VRoptician site mentioned by a couple of you, but I'd be looking at £140 or so (and then extra for whatever dumb charges come due to brexit for importing from the EU) for a pair of lenses which might be worth it but it's still quite a lot. Maybe I could consider those for the future though and just protect the default lenses as best I can.

I'm going to recommend not using your 770s and either buying some ear buds like the ones the same company makes, (https://amzn.to/3qCIXbi I have a pair, they are pretty nice) or get the VR ears things or something. You will destroy the pads on those and you'll be ripping em off cleaning em non stop. Swapping to leather things that are cheap for em will gently caress up the sound profile so skip that too.

Once you try your glasses in the headset and go "ok vr is cool". You should probably look seriously into the lens things. The s/o used her quest way way less before she got those. Its expensive, but its worth it long term.

Also agreeing with the general vibe of deluxe audio strap is king. Also has an "ok" audio solution. Might be worth looking into tbh. My elite strap broke with less than 10 hours on it. So I can't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With all these nice VR mods (RoR2, Outer Wilds, RE2, etc), I wonder if someone could make a VR mod for Forza Horizon 5. drat MS for barely supporting VR!