Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How long til he’s giving special comments on 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I doubt he even gets back in the country in time for the start of the season even if Collingwood decide not to sack his sorry arse.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Lots of #istandwithdegoey people out there already who miraculously have first hand knowledge that it was all the women's fault! Weirdly though its only Collingwood supporters who seem to have this super secret inside information

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
How the gently caress did he even get over there?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They allow international travel for work purposes and I think he was over there for some training camp

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The New York police department alleged in a statement De Goey “grabbed buttocks and vagina outside clothing without permission or authority to do so of a 35-year-old female”.

He allegedly “punched with a closed fist and kicked a 37-year-old male causing pain and swelling” and “continued to punch and kick victim while victim was on floor with a co-defendant”.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Contract year
Special dispensation to travel to the US for an intensive training camp by his sponsor

Not to say there's a good time to grope a woman against her consent then beat up her mate, but all these factors put together at least mean there's a lot of attention on it, so it should force a pretty strong amount of accountability?

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 31, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good news for Collingwood’s salary cap crunch though. Probably would have been better for them if it happened before they hosed off Treloar but ah well

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The sexual assault charge against De Goey has been dropped by the prosecutor, presumably because it’s pretty hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt a groping in a crowded nightclub.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I can already hear the chorus of fuckwits crying "guilty until proved innocent :jerkbag:"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

monolithburger posted:

I can already hear the chorus of fuckwits crying "guilty until proved innocent :jerkbag:"

More likely 'see it obviously wasn't true or they wouldn't have dropped the charges'.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

They haven't dropped the assault charges though, from when he beat up the woman's friend who tried to stand up for her.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

They haven't dropped the assault charges though, from when he beat up the woman's friend who tried to stand up for her.

Yeah, getting glassed to the face and then kicked while on the ground would leave a bit more evidence (and more likely to be seen by witnesses)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Russell Ebert just passed away.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Largepotato posted:

Russell Ebert just passed away.

My FIL will be shattered :smith:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the origin of Mark "Choco" Williams' name racist? I got called out the other day by a friend for calling him Choco Williams and I'd like to win the argument that it's not (and I'd also like to not be racist).

I can't find anything outside of BigFooty comment about him liking icecreams as a kid. There appears to be a HS article but it's paywalled.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looten Plunder posted:

Is the origin of Mark "Choco" Williams' name racist? I got called out the other day by a friend for calling him Choco Williams and I'd like to win the argument that it's not (and I'd also like to not be racist).

I can't find anything outside of BigFooty comment about him liking icecreams as a kid. There appears to be a HS article but it's paywalled.

Never really thought about it, but given he was a player at Collingwood it wouldn't be surprising if it was a racist nickname.

Quote from the Hun:

quote:

The former Collingwood star and Port Adelaide premiership coach has dark skin, which makes the nickname a bit uncomfortable, until you find out it has nothing to do with his appearance. His sister Jenny says a lot of people mistakenly assume the family is indigenous. “There’s no Aboriginal in our family that we know of, but I can tell you we wouldn’t mind if there was,” she said, explaining the family has English, Irish and Russian ancestors. “Our family grew up with Aboriginals as part of our everyday society, and we greatly admire their culture. And the Aboriginals accept us, maybe because we look a little like them.” And the nickname? “We had ice-creams called Choc Ices that Mark used to eat every day at school.”

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Apparently Liam Jones has gone full antivax and is refusing to get a jab.

Bye fuckwit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hoping it isn't true, his redemption arc has been amazing since playing (poorly) for the doggies.

He seems switched on and good off field from all apparent things, charity work and good for his indigenous community but yeah thats sad.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
It's especially lovely given his teammate Sam Docherty is fighting a recurrence of cancer and is (likely) immunocompromised.

This might just save McGovern's career too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah it sucks if it is Jones, especially since Docherty apparently had a bad reaction to the first dose given his chemo.

And to top it off, a Carlton aflw tested positive before training in a PCR test in the carpark and has to isolate for two weeks and one staff member for 1 week, sounds like the player only had the first dose while the staff member has had two doses. I think the AFLW season starting in Jan will have some delays or missing players given this will go on awhile.

And Finn Maginness has tested positive too. There will be more now that lockdown is over and case rates aren't dropping fast enough.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Did they say if Maginness had been vaccinated?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

Did they say if Maginness had been vaccinated?

The club said all Hawthorn players were "either fully vaccinated or are scheduled for their second dose in the coming days". (From the abc article)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/CFCCheersquad/status/1459464840695533570?t=FEEvHol8Eo6McqD7GQiUBw&s=19

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Liam Jones announced his retirement because he's a loving moron that didn't want to get vaxxed while having a captain going through chemo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

Liam Jones announced his retirement because he's a loving moron that didn't want to get vaxxed while having a captain going through chemo.

At least it solves the issue pretty quickly. And sets a precedent for everyone else in the league.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank all who have supported me throughout my journey, both personally and professionally. I love the game and I'll miss my teammates.

"I hope that people respect my decision and privacy – neither myself or my management team will be making any further comment on the matter."

No Liam, I dont think I will you stupid idiot. Throwing away a 6 figure salary to do something you love and 20 million people would have loved to have achieved is utter stupidity.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Liam Jones retired rather than force the AFL into a confrontation.

What happens when you get a footballer stupid, stubborn, bloody minded, and anti-vaxx enough to have this be the hill they want to die on? It's great the AFL have a "no vaccination, no play" stance, but are they prepared to defend it in court against the sort of idiot who would appeal and appeal etc. costing everyone a lot of money and dragging it out in the court of public opinion?

The AFL would most likely win any court case brought against them by a dumbarse anti-vaxxer, but it is also a distict possibility that they would cave if someone tried to test them on it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

What happens when you get a footballer stupid, stubborn, bloody minded, and anti-vaxx enough to have this be the hill they want to die on? It's great the AFL have a "no vaccination, no play" stance, but are they prepared to defend it in court against the sort of idiot who would appeal and appeal etc. costing everyone a lot of money and dragging it out in the court of public opinion?

The AFL would most likely win any court case brought against them by a dumbarse anti-vaxxer, but it is also a distict possibility that they would cave if someone tried to test them on it.

I don’t think they’re worried about that. They have way more money than anyone who might challenge, and they can just point at the fact that it’s a requirement to play in vic and qld stadiums.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:byewhore:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
What a huge loss to the game

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What a waste.

Sad for the club, not for Jones. He is our second best defender and a league leader in a few stats. Will be hard to replace for next season but we traded his longterm replacement with Lewis Young (also from footscray) who will now need to step up immediately.

A colossal idiot.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you told me two years ago that a single AFLM player would have almost a mortal lock on the title of dumbest motherfucker in football I probably would have called you a liar tbh

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you told me two years ago that a single AFLM player would have almost a mortal lock on the title of dumbest motherfucker in football I probably would have called you a liar tbh

I'm sure that Jaidyn Stephenson will be returning for his crown.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

you mentioned it there but like...if this is legally required for multiple states, and the players' union has already agreed to that...then what confrontation? I'm far from an Australian lawyer but that sounds like it should be fairly black and white.

(and for what it's worth as a fan of a sport I'm happier with this than what the U.S. has been dealing with in various sports)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
More he was told by the club to hurry up and make a decision now because the league is pressuring the club to resolve it quickly, so there isn't another week in the media cycle about speculation on what will happen.

He technically had until Dec 6th to tell the club what was going on, given thats the first day of pre-season for him. He could have held out until May when the club would be allowed to delist him at reduced pay but he's retired instead.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 14, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

:frogout:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
What a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol the Roos signed Hugh Greenwood after the Suns delisted him to re-draft him to meet minimum draft obligations

Out of all the players to do that with, why would you use one of your best?