Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

stratdax posted:

Lol ya never seen a cut like that before in a movie. Truly advanced filmmaking.

I've seen over one thousand films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

finally got a chance to see this in IMAX and I was loving floored all the way through. I've been into Dune since I was a child, playing Dune 2 on a 486 laptop, getting a letterbox copy of Lynch's film as a Christmas gift when I wasn't even 10 years old, though funny enough I didn't read any of the books until I was older (was 11 or 12 when I read the first book). I have a fondness for all things Dune that embrace the inherent weirdness and alien feeling that I got from Frank's writing, so there are things that I liked in Lynch's adaptation, things I liked in the SciFi series, and things now in 2021. There's also stuff that I don't like but that's normal, every screen adaptation so far has embraced the aesthetic of the universe in a way that I've sat back and thought "yeah, I dig it".

With all that said I have to say that I literally wept tears of joy and overwhelming excitement while watching this because somehow Villeneuve looked into my brain and took designs for things like the stillsuits, the harvesters, even shield generators and was able to replicate them in a way that they seemed like things that could be found in the real world when I would leave the theatre. The big thing for me was the Ornithopters, having my first experience being Dune 2 I had always pictured the 'thopters as these sleek and agile craft with flapping wings considering this is the first time we see them in the intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC32ZIYXlE&t=113s and that always stuck with me. As technology got better, they made them look better in the Dune 2000 intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_N1zkgwLTY&t=60s but for some reason the Lynch film and the miniseries they didn't look like anything special. The Heighliners and all of the space-capable craft in Lynch Dune were terrific, but everything on Arrakis just seemed typical sci-fi and the miniseries wasn't much better (lack of budget can do that). So of course when we finally get to Arrakis and they show a runway full of Ornithopters (and they also take some lineage from the 'thopter design from the Cryo Interactive game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_B4WPnf-AY&t=520s) and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the wings came out and they started flapping and they take off I don't even know how to describe the sensation that came over me, it was sublime!

Every goddamn time a 'thopter was onscreen I had a huge smile on my face and my eyes would start watering again. I mean, the scale of the space-capable ships also pleased me but not in the same way as the Ornithopters. Honestly, I would probably give this movie 10/10 just on the 'thopters alone but there were other things I did like. I was happy that Jessica got more to do, she has presence similar to the miniseries, but it is too bad that it means we don't get a lot of time with other people. I know who Yueh is because I've digested so much lore over the years that I can fill in the blanks but I can very easily see how viewers without that immersion may be left wanting, same with Gurney and Thufir or even the Harkonnens, it's easy to brush off how little they are there because, true, in the book they don't get a lot of screen time during this part but films have different needs to the written medium. With that in mind I gotta say that Jason Momoa works quite well as Duncan, before him I could never understand why the gently caress he kept coming back in the books and why he was treated like the Dune version of Mr. Darcy because the Lynch and miniseries versions were not memorable. Say what you will about Momoa's range, but for a character that is as desirable and memorable, in-universe, in the books he was the right person for the job and they actually gave Duncan poo poo to do as well!!!! In the Lynch film he puts up a fight against the Sardukar better than the other Atreides and then goes down to a shield-penetrating nail or something but otherwise he's onscreen for barely 3 minutes. In the miniseries he plays a larger part both with Paul and within the Atreides but then when he dies he just takes a missile to the face and that's that. At least now we finally are given something with substance to attempt to justify his continued presence in the rest of the series.

Also, some other good changes the film made, Liet Kynes as a woman, this works very well and the character in the book can easily be interpreted as any gender so this was quite a welcome change. Some other nice stuff was having other characters do things that Paul does, such as Duncan spitting on the floor when we first meet Stilgar. I prefer this because it demonstrates Duncan's knowledge and that he has actually integrated with the Fremen, as opposed to Paul doing it because ~he just knows their ways~ which hedges a bit too close to the White Saviour trope, we already have the stillsuit inspection to cover that aspect of the prophecy so good to give that to someone else that should know and understand the custom already. As others have said, Jamis was great, for a guy that gets, what, a couple pages? his bit ended up being a great tipping point and everything approaching it was masterfully crafted for what's to come in the story. I also like that he's not doing it because he's bitter that Paul disarmed him, he's bringing some nice foreshadowing of what Paul will have to address with Stilgar in part 2. I also just like that we are given a bit more substance for when Paul will declare he was a friend of Jamis and shed water for the dead, I like what people have said in here about how Paul was seeing potential paths and under different circumstances, he and Jamis could be friends. My interpretation of the visions was that Jamis appeared because his prescience was making him aware that Jamis will be focal point of where his life will lead, similar to why he keeps seeing Chani, and that Jamis IS teaching him the Fremen ways in the visions, because by taking his life, Paul will become a Fremen.

Honestly, for a movie that still isn't as densely packed as the novel, they still managed to cram A LOT into 2.5 hours and I look forward to watching it many more times, just like I do the Lynch and miniseries.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Blood Boils posted:

Enemy of the state slaps!

I didn't mind the 'subdued' Rabban or Baron since we have already have bombastic versions, but they don't really have any motivation or personality other than "want dune back" and "are creepy".

WB definitely shouldn't have cut their scenes down so much, oh well

with the exception of wanting dune back this is what most mens motivations are

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Aces High posted:

Every goddamn time a 'thopter was onscreen I had a huge smile on my face and my eyes would start watering again. I mean, the scale of the space-capable ships also pleased me but not in the same way as the Ornithopters. Honestly, I would probably give this movie 10/10 just on the 'thopters alone but there were other things I did like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPkdMGI6D4

Neo Rasa posted:

Has any deve/publisher in history started so incredibly strong/visionary and then completely dropped off a cliff as hard as Cryo did?
Cryo was never good. MegaRace was just a MegaCD/SegaCD-tier FMV game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cryo_Interactive_video_games

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Can’t get a much better example than Activision themselves. Started as a group of game devs who split from Atari over things like wanting credit for making the games, released stone classics like River Raid and Pitfall, but they were never the same after the video game crash in North America.

EA’s not a bad example either. Released some great stuff for the PC, Starflight, Pinball Construction Set, Adventure Construction Set. Their sports games were for a while worthy of their reputation. Slowly they became what they are today, a company that buys other companies and actively makes them worse.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The part of this film that is sticking with me is how it handled the character of Jamis. In the book it's easy to see him as a plot device for Paul to overcome. In this film, the way Paul's visions paint him as a mentor, guide, and father figure- it's just incredibly poignant and beautiful, aided very much by the gravitas that the actor brings to the role. In those visions, it's clear that Jamis loves Paul and has a whole world to show him. DENIS did a great job in using this to highlight Paul's ability to see into the multiverse- it's not something that the viewer gets beaten over the head with, but Paul is navigating these timelines like a ship dodging ice bergs. It will make the follow up scenes in part 2 that much more affecting.

Jamis is such a tragic figure in the film and is a powerful microcosm of the whole story. Superb writing and filmmaking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The part of this film that is sticking with me is how it handled the character of Jamis. In the book it's easy to see him as a plot device for Paul to overcome. In this film, the way Paul's visions paint him as a mentor, guide, and father figure- it's just incredibly poignant and beautiful, aided very much by the gravitas that the actor brings to the role. In those visions, it's clear that Jamis loves Paul and has a whole world to show him. DENIS did a great job in using this to highlight Paul's ability to see into the multiverse- it's not something that the viewer gets beaten over the head with, but Paul is navigating these timelines like a ship dodging ice bergs. It will make the follow up scenes in part 2 that much more affecting.

Jamis is such a tragic figure in the film and is a powerful microcosm of the whole story. Superb writing and filmmaking.

This was a huge standout for me too. I kind of hope they have his funeral scene at the start of the next movie before doing the time jump (they do show them bringing the body with them as they travel).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Aces High posted:

I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the wings came out and they started flapping and they take off I don't even know how to describe the sensation that came over me, it was sublime!

I loving loved this, and like when Leto is looking out past the city and they're discussing where all the vehicles are/and the processing area felt like a tutorial for the games :hellyeah:

I actually hosed up really bad and all this time thought they were involved in making Captain Blood so never mind lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

This was a huge standout for me too. I kind of hope they have his funeral scene at the start of the next movie before doing the time jump (they do show them bringing the body with them as they travel).

they still need to show Jessica's ascension to full Reverend Mother status so there are going to have to be at least a handful of scenes before the time skip

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
When I heard that DENIS is wanting 3 films, I got really excited because I think a trilogy of films for the first book would be a vast improvement over a 2 part approach. Part 2 could really focus on the time spent in the sietch, and sort of slow the pace down from the breakneck speed of part 1. Jamis's funeral could bridge the gap between films really well, and make it seem an almost instant transition, which would work best IMO.

I'd never seen Babs Olusanmokun in any other role and it didn't surprise me to learn that he's a legit martial artist (black belt in BJJ). His physicality and his voice are a strong combination and he really stole the 3rd act of the film for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
He already said the third movie would be the second book which is Dune Messiah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dune Messiah is really just the third act of Dune anyway. It's the "careful what you wish for because you may get it" act.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Since they didn't call this first movie Dune Part I and the third one would reasonably be called Dune Messiah, they can have fun and hopefully call the second movie Dune II: The Battle for Arrakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipNxb4X_fA

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 14, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Was the Cryo/Exxos Dune the first western game to get an arranged soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWn1C1POc6M

They should have used some of this in the movie imo lol

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, Messiah gets a lot of hate because it's mostly people standing around scheming, but it's a legit cool/unique end of Paul as Maud'dib story.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
There's a bunch of stuff in the book where Paul doesn't know if he's in a vision of the future or the present or what the present even is, so there's rich soil for flashbacks and poo poo. This would also be, uh, within Villeneuve's wheelhouse, to put it lightly.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There are people who actually think the film should have ended 2/3s in like the Jamis scene doesn't turn the whole film on its head. Like Jessica thinks Paul hesitates because he has never killed a man but the truth is that he is about to kill the most important mentor he has never met yet and break a link to the future he does not understand

this absolutely made the movie for me but maybe that's because I've literally never watched/read/played anything to do with Dune except 2000 on the PS1

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Since they didn't call this first movie Dune Part I and the third one would reasonably be called Dune Messiah, they can have fun and hopefully call the second movie Dune II: The Battle for Arrakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipNxb4X_fA

They did, though? When the title pops up it definitely says "PART ONE" underneath

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Another thing that got me that I wasn't prepared for was the music, some of the later bits when we are on Arrakis sounded strikingly familiar to some of the pieces from the games. One of those, appropriately enough, being "Fremen" from Dune 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPR6fnmiaWE

Also, for any other game lovers did anyone else, when they were unloading at the starport, whisper to themselves "vast armies have arrived" or was that just a me thing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

There are people who actually think the film should have ended 2/3s in like the Jamis scene doesn't turn the whole film on its head. Like Jessica thinks Paul hesitates because he has never killed a man but the truth is that he is about to kill the most important mentor he has never met yet and break a link to the future he does not understand

this absolutely made the movie for me but maybe that's because I've literally never watched/read/played anything to do with Dune except 2000 on the PS1

It's cool that the moviefilm has added something of its own!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So how would Jamis have become his mentor? It seemed like the two scenarios were always he killed Jamis or Jamis killed him there. Is the idea that he could have taken a path to avoid the duel but just didnt realize it yet? Or Paul just reaching out to all the possible futures for information?

The mentor visions made me think Paul might try to find a way to end the duel with both alive. But of course Stilgar made it clear that this was not possible.

Also I saw that this scene was one of the deleted ones from 1984 Dune. It looks like it was never completely filmed, but they shot the killing blow and tears at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

checkplease posted:

So how would Jamis have become his mentor? It seemed like the two scenarios were always he killed Jamis or Jamis killed him there. Is the idea that he could have taken a path to avoid the duel but just didnt realize it yet? Or Paul just reaching out to all the possible futures for information?

The mentor visions made me think Paul might try to find a way to end the duel with both alive. But of course Stilgar made it clear that this was not possible.

Also I saw that this scene was one of the deleted ones from 1984 Dune. It looks like it was never completely filmed, but they shot the killing blow and tears at least.

Those visions may well have been from an entirely different timeline, where e.g. the Harkonnen ambush never happened/was repelled, and Paul made contact with the Fremen on more even terms. Or perhaps just one where Jamis stayed at home during that particular patrol, leading to them meeting later on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Paul isn't good enough at prescience to realize he was seeing the future but not understanding it. Jamis teaches Paul the way of the Fremen, but not in a way Paul expects.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I didn’t see it as a peek at an alternate timeline so much as just evidence that while Paul has some degree of prescience, his visions can’t be trusted to be 100% accurate.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
I don't think he even misunderstood, he just knew he didn't understand. He doesn't seem especially surprised about how things play out.

That said, whether or not you wish to think of the scenes representing unrealized possibilities (something Paul explicitly sees in the books) or not has little bearing on how the dream is interpreted, which is pretty straightforward.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

saw this last night and surprised by how quick 2.5 hours went. sounds like cliche praise for a movie but I don't remember when that last happened. maybe the director's minimalist style worked better for 2049 A.D. rather than 10,000 A.D. though - then again, the latter future could very well be stripped down and bleak... seems like a personal preference.

imo, Jodorowsky sounds like a pretentious blowhard and his Dune probably would have been a stupid mess

need to see Lynch's

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I didn’t see it as a peek at an alternate timeline so much as just evidence that while Paul has some degree of prescience, his visions can’t be trusted to be 100% accurate.

Yeah, he even says this explicitly to the Reverend Mother. He dreams things as they happen, but not exactly as they happen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

saw this last night and surprised by how quick 2.5 hours went. sounds like cliche praise for a movie but I don't remember when that last happened. maybe the director's minimalist style worked better for 2049 A.D. rather than 10,000 A.D. though - then again, the latter future could very well be stripped down and bleak... seems like a personal preference.

imo, Jodorowsky sounds like a pretentious blowhard and his Dune probably would have been a stupid mess

need to see Lynch's
After you've been frustrated by Lynch's "film adaptation", watch The Alternative Edition Redux - it's the best (and third) fan-edit made by a fan of the books, which re-edits the movie to match the structure of the book, adds a bunch of scenes that were deleted (but which were included as extras on various cuts), fixed a bunch of the bad special effects, and doesn't utterly gently caress with the entire point of the book (which, I'll reiterate, David Lynch never read).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lynch hadn't read the book before taking the job, would have been hard for him to write the film without at least taking a glance

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lynch hadn't read the book before taking the job, would have been hard for him to write the film without at least taking a glance
I'm sure he glanced at it somewhere in between the 6 script rewrites it took, but considering he said that he wanted to maintain the "characters and the spirit" of the book, and throw everything else away, I'm not sure you can claim that he knew what he was doing with a film adaptation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David lynch read the book.

Also the film was cut to poo poo by the studio.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

David lynch read the book.

Also the film was cut to poo poo by the studio.
Sure, that explains why there was an Alan Smithee version (even if it's the home-cinema release, not the theatrical cut).
Doesn't explain why his name is still attached to newer cuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DGA nonsense. Do you want him to explain it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-88mY-f-w

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

DGA nonsense. Do you want him to explain it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-88mY-f-w
What's supposed to be the takeaway here, that he didn't have directoral cut? Because I'm pretty sure that would've been part of his contract.

Not that he's the only one to blame, because Raffaella De Laurentiis hadn't seen his work before hiring him, so clearly the entire thing was doomed from the start when a little thing like prior art doesn't figure in the producers mind at that point in pre-production.

Also, it's a bit revisionist of him to claim it had to be cut down by someone else - according to an interview in 1984, the first script was over 200 pages and would've resulted in a movie that was over four hours long - but even after they cut the script down to 135 pages (or 120, according to newer interviews; though these aren't sourced) through six revisions, which he had complete control over, the movie still ended up being longer than was contracted for; something that doesn't add up with the many script additions that're mentioned in the interview mentioned above.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He didn’t have final cut my guy lmao.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There are only two "official" cuts of Dune 1984 - the theatrical and the extended TV version. Lynch was involved in the theatrical but I don't think he considers it to be "his" since we was forced to remove so much. The TV version had no involvement from Lynch and he made them take his name off of it, which is why it's also known as the Alan Smithee cut.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

david_a posted:

There are only two "official" cuts of Dune 1984 - the theatrical and the extended TV version. Lynch was involved in the theatrical but I don't think he considers it to be "his" since we was forced to remove so much. The TV version had no involvement from Lynch and he made them take his name off of it, which is why it's also known as the Alan Smithee cut.
There's at least one more, released as Dune: Extended Edition which contains a bunch of extra scenes and deleted scenes - which is the source of many of the scenes in the Alternative Edition Redux.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's at least one more, released as Dune: Extended Edition which contains a bunch of extra scenes and deleted scenes - which is the source of many of the scenes in the Alternative Edition Redux.

That’s the TV cut.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

david_a posted:

That’s the TV cut.
It contains scenes not found in the TV cut, though - and the laserdisk version of the TV cut is 177 minutes long, while the Extended Edition is 190 minutes.

I think there might've also been a different cinematic release in Europe, but I don't really remember too well.

EDIT: I've said this before and, I'd like to point out that I don't dislike David Lynch, and I really like his other movies because they are David Lynch movies with all that that entails.
The David Lynch version of Dune, however, is not a good David Lynch movie, and it's not a good film adaptation of the novel either.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lynch's Dune has been recut so many times it's hard to know who the author even is.