Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New song is good! On first listen it's not my favorite PT song, but it certainly sounds like PT and I'm glad they're back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Presale is live. Got 4 for Copenhagen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got my ticket to see Porcupine Tree at Wembley. It's going to be a long year.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
I'm hoping there are good seats left for London when general sale goes live on Friday, been wanting to see Porcupine Tree again for over a decade!

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I recently discovered that John Carpenter's son, Cody Carpenter, has a prog-rock solo-project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeb8tcYV10 Not sure if he's come up in the thread, but it's pretty solid.

So few people have listened to the track on YouTube that it looks like he's personally thanked most people for saying nice things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

I recently discovered that John Carpenter's son, Cody Carpenter, has a prog-rock solo-project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeb8tcYV10 Not sure if he's come up in the thread, but it's pretty solid.

So few people have listened to the track on YouTube that it looks like he's personally thanked most people for saying nice things.

I'll have to check that out. I've seen him live twice with his father and own all the Lost Themes albums and Anthology, but prog is not electronic.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

It was totally not expected. I just grabbed Lost Themes III recently and was looking up interviews for the project and was surprised to find out he was doing his own solo stuff. But like I say, prog is not what I expected. I was getting Rick Wakeman Yes vibes off some of it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I assume nobody else trekked to see RPWL tonight?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

New Coheed track, slightly poppier verse and chorus with a great prog breakdown in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFqmKtLj1s

I'm really looking forward to the new album. I think they're really one of the few prog bands that hasn't ever actually disappointed me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh. I used to really like Coheed, they knew how to craft and chain licks like nobody's business. Then at some point they just started sounding like noise to me. Maybe I'll give them another go when the new one comes out, or maybe I'll just dust off some of the old stuff. Actually that reminds me I've gotta check out the latest Thank You Scientist album -- they haven't quite clicked with me but they're so close to hitting that sweet spot.

Though right now I've gotta say, I have yet to warm up to any of the rest of their discography that I've heard but Jack o' The Clock's Repetitions of the Old City - I slaps from end to end. Just the right mix of weird and pleasant and dissonant and acoustic and lyrics that I should really study on paper.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I never really got into Coheed as a teen. Mind you, I only really got into prog rock within the last couple of years. Tastes change, yadda, yadda. I dig that track! What's a good place to start with Coheed and Cambria if I want to get into them? I know zilch about them other than a bunch of people I used to know were super into them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'd start with Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness as it's probably the most solid album overall and also contains their biggest hit, then try one album in either direction (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 for older or Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow for newer) and, if you like either of 'em, continue in that chronological direction.

Silent Earth 3 definitely has the most fun songs to actually play on guitar.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, the span of Silent Earth 3 through NWFT is probably my favourite and the easiest to get into. Good Apollo Vol 1 is probably some of the darkest music the band has done so if you like that more angry rock sound as well then it's a good starting point.

Peshlevkconsensus
Aug 7, 2021

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe more than Chicago's, too. It's weird to listen to the early Chicago albums where they were playing more experimental (and funky) stuff.

Finding out that Chicago used to do sidelong jazz/modern classical suites about nuclear war and poo poo is still one of the most shocking music discoveries I’ve ever made

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I often wonder where their career would’ve gone if Terry Kath hadn’t earned himself a Darwin Award.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

I often wonder where their career would’ve gone if Terry Kath hadn’t earned himself a Darwin Award.

It might not have been so different. If they wanted to be big they would have still written pop songs and let peter cetera do his thing.

Peshlevkconsensus
Aug 7, 2021

Henchman of Santa posted:

Supposedly he was thinking of leaving the band before he died, although of course who knows where they would’ve gone

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Hammer Bro. posted:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Ahh, I definitely remember this album cover from when I worked at a record store. Yeah, this is the one my friend recommended to me back in the day and I bounced off of. Gonna start with this and give it another shot. Thanks!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Finally got to see Marillion live in Hull. All I can say is that if this is the only time I see them, I can go happy. I got Neverland, which always gets me, thanks to that soaring guitar.

Still not sure what I make of the new song, but it had a lot of energy. I wasn't expecting The Party or The Release, but they worked well enough on the night

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Finally got to see Marillion live in Hull. All I can say is that if this is the only time I see them, I can go happy. I got Neverland, which always gets me, thanks to that soaring guitar.

Still not sure what I make of the new song, but it had a lot of energy. I wasn't expecting The Party or The Release, but they worked well enough on the night

They’re one of those bands I’m so happy I was able to see (as an American).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

This found its way onto my YT recs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o99pIei5q68

I don't normally like reaction videos, but this guy's are different to most in that he doesn't stop the music every minute to talk at length about what he just heard. Instead he analyses the music as it plays, and attempts to accompany or replicate the chord structure on piano - generally with some success. It's a pretty pro click.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like Doug, and he had a hell of a year. Went from a relative nobody to interviewing Jordan Rudess in just a few months.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Big Big Train frontman David Longdon has died. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/22/david-longdon-frontman-of-prog-rock-band-big-big-train-dies-aged-56

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Big Big Train can get a little too twee for my tastes, but when they hit, they hit.

David was an uncanny Gabriel doppelganger. RIP.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

What the gently caress?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

XBenedict posted:

What the gently caress?

Some kind of home accident I gather. Very sad.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Welp, looks like that it for Krimson as a touring act.

Fripp always has surprises up his sleeve, but I really do think this is the end of Krimson performing live.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Darn. Happy I got to see them a bunch of times, sad I never saw them on this tour.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Two things about Robert.

He believes his life goes on a 7 year cycle. This is year 7 of the current KC.

A Completion is followed by a new Beginning. This was a Completion Tour.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Well, I'm so glad I got to see them twice. KC is without a doubt the best band I have and will ever see live.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I got to see them in Atlanta a couple of years ago. Epitaph is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard live.

They also played Cat Food, which made me just as happy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Wonderful words

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/king-crimson-2021-tour-part2-japan/in-the-company-of-ghosts

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

posted this elsewhere on the internet, gonna post it here too:

My dad had a certain Jethro Tull CD 20+ years ago. I'm 90% sure it was a single disc compilation with a mix of live and studio tracks. I specifically remember the live tracks included Living in the Past, Aqualung, and Wond'ring Aloud leading directly into Dun Ringill.

I swear I've checked every compilation and live album on RYM and haven't found something that fits that bill, but some titles don't have track listings. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

Edit: it was 20 Years of Jethro Tull - Abridged, in case anyone was wondering

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 14, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Discogs is a real good resource for finding very granular versions of albums

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

posted this elsewhere on the internet, gonna post it here too:

My dad had a certain Jethro Tull CD 20+ years ago. I'm 90% sure it was a single disc compilation with a mix of live and studio tracks. I specifically remember the live tracks included Living in the Past, Aqualung, and Wond'ring Aloud leading directly into Dun Ringill.

I swear I've checked every compilation and live album on RYM and haven't found something that fits that bill, but some titles don't have track listings. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

Edit: it was 20 Years of Jethro Tull - Abridged, in case anyone was wondering

I knew that’s what it was because I spent a long time looking for that one too.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
So devastated about David Longdon. Big Big Train really started going places artistically and commercially after he arrived, and their run of albums with him has given me a lot of pleasure over the last couple of years. The band must feel cursed - they were about to go on a tour of the US before Covid hit, then had two of their members leave during lockdown. They replaced them, only for their lead singer and one of their principal creative elements to die in what sounds like a freak accident, leading to them cancelling more tours next year (including one I had tickets for; who knows if the later one I was also planning on going to will also get cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised). They seem like such a nice bunch, their music's great and they just can't catch a break. And aside from his fantastic Gabriel-esque voice, cool flute playing and song writing skills, Longdon himself seemed liked such a lovely fellow. And now he's gone. :(

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So devastated about David Longdon. Big Big Train really started going places artistically and commercially after he arrived, and their run of albums with him has given me a lot of pleasure over the last couple of years. The band must feel cursed - they were about to go on a tour of the US before Covid hit, then had two of their members leave during lockdown. They replaced them, only for their lead singer and one of their principal creative elements to die in what sounds like a freak accident, leading to them cancelling more tours next year (including one I had tickets for; who knows if the later one I was also planning on going to will also get cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised). They seem like such a nice bunch, their music's great and they just can't catch a break. And aside from his fantastic Gabriel-esque voice, cool flute playing and song writing skills, Longdon himself seemed liked such a lovely fellow. And now he's gone. :(

I’m very late catching up on posts, but this 100%. BBT came out of nowhere for me a few years ago and I absolutely adored them. This is such a huge loss to the prog scene.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Me whenever I listen to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

you ever yearn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been proggin' with the best of them lately. Just today I finished listening to IQ's The Road of Bones and as someone who's tried to finish that one before, this time around I had a good time although I don't see me liking IQ that much for the time being. They are a pretty enjoyable band but won't become a favourite, although I am going to explore more of their work including some albums that I've heard before but didn't care much for.