Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After tasting the crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

What if he can smell crime?

This is a thing: THE SNIFFER.
https://film.ua/en/distribution/projects/219

quote:

They call him The Sniffer. He's the proud owner of an extraordinarily acute sense of smell. He can detect things about you that you desperately want to conceal. He'll find that needle in the haystack. Don't ever doubt his extraordinary skills! But the truth is that his sense of smell is as much a curse as it is a gift. This guy can solve a mystery by having a single sniff around but what happens when all these myriads of smells force their way into his private life? Let's just put it this way – he’s not exactly a happy camper.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Psych had these guys beat by years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

30 Rock had the best ones:

The Dutch crime show inspired by TGS writer Sue LaRoche-Van der Hout's previous job as a police psychic: "Van der Hoot: Psychische (De Mentaalist)"

Jenna Maroney's pilot "Goodlooking", about Alexis Goodlooking, a detective who was extremely good-looking, and also good at looking for clues.

"God Cop", about a detective who's paired with a new partner: God. (And no, God can't just tell him who did it.)

And of course, the controversial series "Bitch Hunter".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's a shame MILF Island got canceled.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Davros1 posted:

30 Rock had the best ones:

The Dutch crime show inspired by TGS writer Sue LaRoche-Van der Hout's previous job as a police psychic: "Van der Hoot: Psychische (De Mentaalist)"

Jenna Maroney's pilot "Goodlooking", about Alexis Goodlooking, a detective who was extremely good-looking, and also good at looking for clues.

"God Cop", about a detective who's paired with a new partner: God. (And no, God can't just tell him who did it.)

And of course, the controversial series "Bitch Hunter".

Man I can't find the link but someone created a Netflix like interface that showed all the fake TV shows (but sadly didn't have the actual videos).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it was shut down within a day or two.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's still there you just can't contribute anything new at the moment: https://nestflix.fun/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah yeah, modern Simpsons and all that (har har, who still watches, etc.)

All that said, the writers have been SO FAR UP their own asses the past year or two with homages in concept episodes they clearly find so important to themselves but they're just flat out boring.

I would take a bad and forgettable episode over a two episode homage to "A Simple Man" mashed up with "Fargo."

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

bull3964 posted:

All that said, the writers have been SO FAR UP their own asses the past year or two with homages in concept episodes they clearly find so important to themselves but they're just flat out boring.

I would take a bad and forgettable episode over a two episode homage to "A Simple Man" mashed up with "Fargo."

Look, there are only so many stories to tell. South Park did the episode about The Simpsons having already done every plot nineteen years ago.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Randallteal posted:

Look, there are only so many stories to tell. South Park did the episode about The Simpsons having already done every plot nineteen years ago.

And they’re both still on the air...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

I remember all that happening but I never saw them and it all seems like a fever dream. Did both shows do crossovers or just one of them?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm watching s2e1 of wu tang american saga, and most of this feels like stdh.txt

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are all 4 parts of this Beatles doc dropping on the same day?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

When that show came out a few years ago about God friending an atheist on Facebook, the 30 Rock God Cop show was immediately what I thought of.

Looten Plunder posted:

I remember all that happening but I never saw them and it all seems like a fever dream. Did both shows do crossovers or just one of them?

Just Simpsons, but they did crossovers with both Futurama and Family Guy.

Futurama also did a sort-of crossover with Family Guy, when they had Seth McFarland voice Fry's dog as Brian.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looten Plunder posted:

Are all 4 parts of this Beatles doc dropping on the same day?

It's three parts with each part releasing a day apart. Nov 25-27.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It probably didn't need to be two episodes but I thought it was alright. The high concept episodes Matt Selman has been doing as showrunner do seem to be divisive but I'll gladly take them over the endless low-effort poo poo Al Jean pumped out for two decades.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And there are still what, 20 episodes a season? I'm fine with them trying new things. I enjoyed the Fargo riff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's just that there were so few actual jokes and I'm not really familiar with the source material (aside from Fargo.)

I think that's my problem with the high concept episodes. They may hit if you know what they are aping, but so often it's something niche so it feels like they are making something that's overrepresented in writer circles and being very self satisfied with the references while the rest of us are left scratching our head. Like, I've never seen "A Serious Man" even though I probably should since it's a Coen brothers movie. Given its limited theatrical release, I doubt many others tuning in on Sunday are that familiar with it.

The same goes for "The Seven Beer Itch" last season. I recognize the phrase enough to look up the 1955 movie, but it doesn't hold any significance for me so it really fell flat.

I don't have an issue with concept episodes in theory, but something about their execution has been off for me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It's just that there were so few actual jokes and I'm not really familiar with the source material (aside from Fargo.)

I think that's my problem with the high concept episodes. They may hit if you know what they are aping, but so often it's something niche so it feels like they are making something that's overrepresented in writer circles and being very self satisfied with the references while the rest of us are left scratching our head. Like, I've never seen "A Serious Man" even though I probably should since it's a Coen brothers movie. Given its limited theatrical release, I doubt many others tuning in on Sunday are that familiar with it.

The same goes for "The Seven Beer Itch" last season. I recognize the phrase enough to look up the 1955 movie, but it doesn't hold any significance for me so it really fell flat.

I don't have an issue with concept episodes in theory, but something about their execution has been off for me.

I don't even think last night's episode was even meant to parody A Serious Man beyond the episode title. It was sort of a general Coen bros/prestige tv riff although clearly more influenced by Fargo than anything. I'll agree that The Seven Beer Itch was definitely awful though. Al Jean has gotten so lazy that he managed to completely drop the framing device in the third act. Selman at least commits to the bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, have you read the Willow sequel books that Chris Claremont wrote in the 90s? They start off by almost totally severing every single connection to the movie in like the first chapter of the first book, and then telling its own fantasy story, which you almost have to kind of admire from a Lucasfilm spinoff book series.

no but i read a star wars novel once about like, the emperor's secret kid with three eyes and he needed darth vader's glove because it was magic or some poo poo so I imagine it's the same kind of leap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So you wouldn't think that an animated series based on a game with a notoriously toxic userbase would be any good, but Arcane is really good. The story isn't anything special, but the animation and art design are as good as I've ever seen. Fantastic action sequences. I know literally nothing about LoL except that everyone who plays it is a psycho, but I found the show to be very engaging.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does it feature the fantasy characters rising up against their bosses for farting in their faces?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll say this: some will rise. Others will fall.

OH also a caveat emptor here: Imagine Dragons features heavily throughout.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

no but i read a star wars novel once about like, the emperor's secret kid with three eyes and he needed darth vader's glove because it was magic or some poo poo so I imagine it's the same kind of leap.

Those books did rule very hard, it's true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFs3yGdvGyw

Hopefully they will finally address the biggest mystery in Halo lore (does the suit suck Master Chief off)

:smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, but that's a Barsanti review and he's an awful critic. Sepinwall was much more positive (but then again he's also never seen the original)
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1460157118934179840

THR was also fairly negative, and io9 was mixed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh guess I'm gonna have to form my own opinion like a medieval peasant

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Having never watched Cowboy Bebop, I honestly don’t care how it compares to the original. I just want to know if it’s a good show and worth watching or not

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I can't imagine a live action remake of a beloved anime will be divisive.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Putting all of my effort into capturing the energy and verve of a cartoon with live actors on green screens instead of writing something original

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There are other shows on the platform that are 100% original if that's your bag.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Has anyone seen The Shrink Next Door.
Paul Rudd playing a total manipulative bastard is quite a sight to behold.
I dare say, he's kind of a good actor.

Edit: Apparently it's based on a true story. Huh.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 15, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’m holding judgement on Bebop until I get to see it. The show could certainly be trash, but it is extremely obvious that all of these pre-reviews are relying on amping viewers hopes or fears to drive engagement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1460252661865930752

Kristen Stewart you leave those gay ghosts alone

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1460252661865930752

Kristen Stewart you leave those gay ghosts alone

As I burn the sage and fill the haunted house with sacred smoke, I chant "ego te obsolvo, no homo, no homo..."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Over/under the phrase gayance is used within the first three episodes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Over/under the phrase gayance is used within the first three episodes

Ok I'll bite. I think the over under line is.. 6. It'll be used around that many times by episode 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if someone acts confused and asks about the gay insects, ill watch the youtube clip of it