Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Honey, please pass the D R E A D N U G G E T S

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Just finished this game last night with my sons (4 and 6). They had a blast running around and exploring and we especially enjoyed the EMMI sections. My 4 year old loved reenacting cutscenes and screaming at me to get away from the EMMIs. My 6 year old had a knack for the QTE vs the EMMI surprisingly. We all shouted triumphantly after each boss fight and EMMI kill.

It took us 14 hours total and a lot of that was spent teaching my older son how to complete a complicated jump or use a new mechanic. I did the boss battles and coached on which way to go. I had a blast watching my older son gain confidence and really enjoy taking on more monsters as he realized Samus was getting stronger throughout the game.

I thought the space jump was a little jank in how it needs you to jump after the apex. Sometimes you really get hosed by hitting the button too early and then you can’t retry.

Overall I’d put this right up there with Super Metroid. I am hoping to do a run with early bombs to kill Kraid if my kids are up for it. I hope more intended sequence breaks come out. The movement really is so fluid once you get a grasp on how it works.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shania Twain posted:

Overall I’d put this right up there with Super Metroid. I am hoping to do a run with early bombs to kill Kraid if my kids are up for it. I hope more intended sequence breaks come out. The movement really is so fluid once you get a grasp on how it works.

I assume you're aware of early Grapple Beam and early Gravity Suit as well?

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
No I wasn’t aware. I’ll check it out! Thanks

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think early bomb requires early grapple first. Also, get good at sliding through an opening and jumping out the other side (where there’s no floor).

Early super missile is a fun one too, you’ll need the speed booster for it though. And while early gravity suit may seem fun, don’t do it until you’re ready to deal with Z-57. Doing that without a space jump was a bit hard, but that’s where the shinespark insta-kill truly makes it worth figuring out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think early bomb requires early grapple first. Also, get good at sliding through an opening and jumping out the other side (where there’s no floor).

The trick to this is that you have more time than you think, lets you pick a time when you don't bump your head.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bruceski posted:

The trick to this is that you have more time than you think, lets you pick a time when you don't bump your head.

The main issue is the second jump, where botching it drops you into lava way too far from any ground, so you'll instantly die.

On the plus side, deaths don't count on the timer, so you can die as much as you want.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BisbyWorl posted:

The main issue is the second jump, where botching it drops you into lava way too far from any ground, so you'll instantly die.

On the plus side, deaths don't count on the timer, so you can die as much as you want.

That's what I mean, when I was trying to hit it right away I'd bonk so fast I thought I was missing it entirely and so tried to be faster. Once I relaxed and hit it later once I started dropping I got it every time.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Shania Twain posted:

No I wasn’t aware. I’ll check it out! Thanks

There's two big accessible sequence break points.

Once you have the Varia Suit you can get the Grapple Beam early through a hot room in Dairon that can be crossed by jumping out of a slide even though there's no floor on the other side of the slide. This unlocks an entrance to upper Dairon to get the Bombs. With the Bombs you can now go as far as getting the Flash Shift and Speed Booster without needing the Diffusion Beam if you want. If you're feeling really daring, you can take the Speed Booster back to upper Dairon and run a hectic pinballing course through a cold hazard room to reach a back entrance to Ghavoran and get the Super Missiles to blow Kraid's mouth apart.

The other big point where things open up is the Ice Missiles. Enkies block off a couple key places to build up a shinespark charge with the Speed Booster. You can go directly from the Ice Missiles to the Cross Bombs, which lower the difficulty of breaking into the Space Jump room from below through bomb-jumping from wild to merely challenging. You can also go directly from the Ice Missiles to the Gravity Suit by way of the teleporter from Ghavoran to Burenia, which will lead directly to unlocking the Screw Attack, which is my personal favorite route for the general satisfaction of the early midair blender.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this chase sequence in samus returns is inexcusably bad

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Relin posted:

this chase sequence in samus returns is inexcusably bad

It's a really cool idea that in execution sucks major rear end, yeah.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.ign.com/articles/metroid-dread-sales-future-bright-for-series?amp=1

quote:

Metroid Dread Sales Could Bode Well for the Future of the Series

The game was the highest selling game on Switch across October.

By Jared Moore

Updated: 12 Nov 2021 5:22 pm

Posted: 12 Nov 2021 5:04 pm

Metroid: Dread's launch figures in the US have comfortably beaten records for the series, and could allude to a bright future for Samus after quite a dry spell.

Data published by the NPD Group offered an insight into the popularity of Metroid: Dread after its successful October 8 launch on Nintendo Switch. Following its release, the game debuted as October's third best-selling game in the US. Despite being released over a week into that period, Metroid: Dread also came out as the highest-ranked selling game on the Nintendo Switch.
In doing that, it achieved the highest ever launch month sales of any Metroid game to date - dwarfing its predecessors by some margin. According to the Group, Metroid: Dread's launch month dollar sales nearly doubled those of the series' previous record holder, Metroid: Prime.

Metroid has been a quiet series for a long time. The last mainline 2D entry in the series was 2017 remake Samus Returns, with the last wholly original 2D entry arriving in the form of 2004's Zero Mission. In terms of 3D games, we haven't seen one since 2010's Other M.
While good sales figures for Dread don't necessarily confirm a busier future for Metroid releases, it does at least bode well that Nintendo can succeed with new entries in the series. The next Metroid game we know about is Metroid Prime 4, which was announced in 2017 but restarted development in 2019.
While Metroid finished in third in US sales in October, its NPD sales figures don't include digital sales like the two titles ahead in the ranking, Turtle Rock Studios' Back 4 Blood claimed second place and the best-selling game in the US across October went to Far Cry 6. Following Far Cry's launch, Ubisoft recently confirmed that Vaas: Insanity - the first of its premium episodic expansions - will be launching on November 16.
If you haven't yet picked up a copy of Metroid Dread, make sure to check out our review of the game where we awarded it a 9/10.

This is encouraging! I hope Nintendo takes this to heart

Also,

quote:

the last wholly original 2D entry arriving in the form of 2004's Zero Mission.

:thunk:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't even know far cry 6 had launched.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The first tip is perfection:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1459265115635781643?s=20

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

lol Samus got no time for David Jaffe's poo poo. Used the same room and everything.

"The sacred cow of bad design" has become the best selling Metroid game in history.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 12, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah them using the exact same room is some gigantic shade

Too bad Jaffe won’t see it for what it is and will be like “see, I was right all along! They had to show an official video to fix their bugged game design!!”

One comment called it “Dave’s Room” and my god I hope this sticks

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 12, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MechaX posted:

Too bad Jaffe won’t see it for what it is and will be like “see, I was right all along! They had to show an official video to fix their bugged game design!!”

The intention is clear and even he'll see that he's being mocked with it, but yeah, that won't stop him from trying to use semantics to make himself look good from this.

MechaX posted:

One comment called it “Dave’s Room” and my god I hope this sticks

I'm gonna do everything I can to help make that stick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Waffle! posted:

lol Samus got no time for David Jaffe's poo poo. Used the same room and everything.

"The sacred cow of bad design" has become the best selling Metroid game in history.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, "best selling Metroid game" is a lot like saying "fastest 2WD rally car"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Just to play Devil's Advocate, "best selling Metroid game" is a lot like saying "fastest 2WD rally car"

Prime broke 2 million. That's not insane, but it's pretty solid.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wikipedia says the original Metroid sold 2.73 million but that might be counting the GBA re-release, it's not clear.

Not sure if sales figures for Prime count the Trilogy re-release.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The United States posted:

Wikipedia says the original Metroid sold 2.73 million but that might be counting the GBA re-release, it's not clear.

Not sure if sales figures for Prime count the Trilogy re-release.

There must be a YouTube video explaining it, no?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wahoo! I loving love this game! Whether I sit down to play for 20 minutes or 2 hours I feel like I always make good progress!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thinking about getting the early Gravity Suit because as bad as I am at shinespark stuff, I’m worse at EMMIs and will gladly take advantage of cheesing some of the purple EMMI stuff.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Raylax posted:

Playing Dread got me in the mood to do a full-on Metroid marathon from beginning to end, so I'll be posting thoughts of each one when I get through them.

Continuing with this, I've now finished Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)

This is the only Metroid game I'd never played through before now, I'd started it a handful of times but never played further than area 1 or 2. Now that I've actually done so (two full playthroughs, first blind run 3:58, second 1:45 for the best ending), I actually really enjoyed it. I kinda understand people's complaints that it's very linear and not metroid-y enough, but I think the design is a pretty ideal compromise given the lack of map and the constraints of the hardware. Instead of 1 big metroid-y map, it's essentially a linear central tunnel with branched-off areas that each behaves as a small non-linear biome. It keeps that Metroid feel without the risk of getting hopelessly lost.

The controls are still a little janky, but a big improvement on Metroid 1 in all areas... with the exception of the spider ball. That thing just loves getting stuck in corners and not responding to inputs, which is made extra annoying by the fact that all of the 'natural rock' walls and ceilings in Metroid 2 - of which there are many - are covered in little 90 degree angles to get jammed up in. Asides that though it controls pretty nice for a GB game.

Other little annoyances - there being no missile / HP refills in the penultimate area is a huge hassle, because you need a lot of them to take down all the omega metroids in there and the closest ones in a prior zone are a hell of a trek back. At least they give you some for the very final area, I guess. A lot of the metroid's behaviours don't feel great, particularly the way they become completely inactive the moment they're outside the screen area, and weird janky movement that's hard to reliably react to. Some fights feel like the 'strategy' is to just jump and shoot missiles and hope you out-jank the metroid before the metroid out-janks you. On the whole though I liked hunting down and fighting them

But on the whole I really liked this one, I think it's world layout is interesting and a really good solution for the hardware it's on, the atmosphere's great, the final boss is really fun to figure out, and a lot of the jank of Metroid 1 has already been excised.

Next up, time to play Super Metroid again, hell yeah

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tuo posted:

There must be a YouTube video explaining it, no?
I'll try to find one. Meanwhile watch how fast the bosses die if you escape an EMMI zone with the omega cannon intact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_06b7Rf0VI

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there a basic guide or roadmap for how to approach no-glitch speed runs? I’ve been tossing around the idea of speeding Dread and Hollow Knight because they are really great games for speed running but are both fully modernized with lots of QoL stuff that I think would make the speed runs painless and quite enjoyable.

Are their Dread speed running resources or guides yet? Or are people still figuring poo poo out?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m not sure if there are any good no-glitch speed guides yet. I can tell you that getting grapple beam/bomb right after Kraid is definitely a speed trick, and so is early cross bomb/screw attack. If you can do the early space jump trick, even better but it’s really hard. I will say that I ran into an issue in my last run where I got stuck on the wrong side of one of those grapple beam boxes and had to go the long way around, so make sure that, right after you get ice missiles, you pull the grapple box that’s blocking a train to Dairon so you can come back that way later. Maybe I should gently caress around and write a no-glitch guide???

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would absolutely love that! I’m really interested in speed running as a concept, but I have no interest at all in breaking the game or exploiting an obvious glitch. I just want, to like, play the game but very fast, lol.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Your best bet is to join the discord there's a Google doc with trick guides and I know there is a map with a route drawn on it. Mobile posting atm but I can link some stuff later

e: Here for the routes and Here for various documentation.

Darkoni fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 15, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Metroid Dread Speedrunning Discord link here: https://discord.gg/BdmYr5TRGT

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is there a way to do the Dairon Missile+-tank shinespark puzzle....any other way? I'm so incredibly bad at nailing the wall jumps that keep the speedboost momentum....

e: it's the last thing I need for 100% :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tuo posted:

Is there a way to do the Dairon Missile+-tank shinespark puzzle....any other way? I'm so incredibly bad at nailing the wall jumps that keep the speedboost momentum....

You don't have to actually blast through the shoot able blocks after you slide through the hole. I eventually got it that way, but that's more difficult than it needs to be. Once you slide through, go to the far right, shinespark to the bottom left, and you'll blast through the blocks and hit the wall running. If you slide through the gap and shinespark on the other side of it, you can just drop down and space jump over the next ledge, drop down the hole, and then shinespark to the right to get your item. You don't have to actually do any falling shinesparks.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

tuo posted:

Assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, instead of doing the walljumps, you can charge a shinespark from the top of the room. There's enough time to bomb the blocks and just shinespark diagonally into the speed blocks.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't have to actually blast through the shoot able blocks after you slide through the hole. I eventually got it that way, but that's more difficult than it needs to be. Once you slide through, go to the far right, shinespark to the bottom left, and you'll blast through the blocks and hit the wall running. If you slide through the gap and shinespark on the other side of it, you can just drop down and space jump over the next ledge, drop down the hole, and then shinespark to the right to get your item. You don't have to actually do any falling shinesparks.

I think you're thinking of the tank in Burenia.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just Andi Now posted:

Assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, instead of doing the walljumps, you can charge a shinespark from the top of the room. There's enough time to bomb the blocks and just shinespark diagonally into the speed blocks.

I think you're thinking of the tank in Burenia.

You're right. This is is the same way I got the one the op asked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gKfh4mOG8

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just Andi Now posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I tried it like a dozen times that way, and always failed by a very short time margin. When I looked up the "official" (whatever that means) solution, I got even more scared. I guess I'll work on my inputs to solve it from above.

e: thanks to both of you!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Dread is nominated for GOTY: Get those votes in people! https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I really, really want to like this game, and in some ways I do like it. Unfortunately, I've just had to admit to myself the game is not designed for me.

I have a job. I have a partner. I make plans when I can in my evenings

This means that my experience playing Metroid Dread that last three times I've tried have been:

Opening the game, looking at the map, and thinking "what the gently caress was I doing? Where am I?"
Wandering around, vaugely in the direction of a door I'm pretty sure I haven't opened
Seeing nothing inside or a dead end or realising I can't get there
Looing at map. Looking and looking and looking at map
Realising I'm not having fun
Turning off Switch and not playing for three or four days

This has happened enough to me that I just don't think my life will permit me to enjoy it. Maybe if you have a weekend free, are a game reviewer who gets loads of time with it, or are a kid with a free schedule, it's a masterpiece. For me it is frustrating

Longing for the day games have a "this is where you are, what you were doing, and where you came from" feature

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

One minor annoyance I'm having is with items hidden inside of blocks so that you can't track them on the map. I'm at 85% in one zone and have no clue where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Waffle! posted:

One minor annoyance I'm having is with items hidden inside of blocks so that you can't track them on the map. I'm at 85% in one zone and have no clue where to look.

You aren't seeing the slowly flashing grey areas?