Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Diabolik900 posted:

He’s not, unless something happened after the old series that we haven’t learned about yet.

It actually surprised me when I rewatched the show after nearly a decade. I knew he ran off and became a lumberjack, but I completely forgot why, and my mind filled in the blanks and assumed the police caught on to him, but nope. He just left his son with a serial killer who has no code because he thought he was too dangerous to be around.

drat, I had really thought everything was crashing down around Dexter, what with the deaths of LaGuerta and Deb, and he ran off before the cops put everything together and came after him.

Serves me right for giving the OG show too much credit. Of course it was stupider than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In the final episode Dexter literally murdered someone on camera at Miami metro and just went "self defense?" and batista and quinn were like ah alright.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nep-Nep posted:

In the final episode Dexter literally murdered someone on camera at Miami metro and just went "self defense?" and batista and quinn were like ah alright.

To be fair, that is the most realistic thing their department had done in years.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Holy loving poo poo, the letter Dexter sent to Hannah from Oregon had a return address on it. gently caress this show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JaddaCaddra posted:

Holy loving poo poo, the letter Dexter sent to Hannah from Oregon had a return address on it. gently caress this show.

lmao

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Oh my god it just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

So we ended the last episode thinking he threw Matt's remains in the lake. No, turns out he put his body IN THE FIRE PIT ON HIS OWN loving PROPERTY. Also the person watching the camera is so obviously Clancy Brown, cause we can't have an antagonist just be someone who poses a threat to exposing Dexter. Nah, they gotta be killers too.

Jesus loving Christ this is bad. Are we sure Scott Buck isn't wearing a Clyde Philips skin suit?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JaddaCaddra posted:

I'm reading this, and I know you're not lying, but I'm still just not going to believe you.

god drat I wish I had showtime

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

JaddaCaddra posted:

so far we've had Alaska, then New York, and now Oregon. does anyone itt actually know where Dexter lives?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

kinda seems like his methods of concealment are p effective actually lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

God Hole posted:

so far we've had Alaska, then New York, and now Oregon. does anyone itt actually know where Dexter lives?

Iron lake, New York. Town is fictional, and it was recorded in Massachusetts. Basically upstate New York.

This makes it funny to me, as a Canadian, since they depict it as this freezing winter wilderness that is like, ten degrees south latitude from where I am.

They are up in heavy rear end jackets and it is like -5 out. Max. It is colder than that here now, and it isn't even winter yet. I went shovelling in my t-shirt this morning, you goddamn baby.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

idk how that episode was 52 minutes and yet almost nothing happened.

Ghost Deb is pretty good though. "You smug gently caress."

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lmao at the new cops being useless

"i might get away with this after all"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh no not another annoying teenager

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

that was great. i hope the kid griefs Dexter all season long

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The good:
- Harrison and Ghost Deb just roasting the everloving poo poo out of Dexter
- Clancy Brown

The bad:
- Basically everything else

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Y'all are getting me so excited for this stupid show.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

idk how that episode was 52 minutes and yet almost nothing happened.

I swear, only Dexter could come back as a limited series and STILL have filler episodes. Matter of fact I'm willing to bet that's mostly what this will end up being.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

JaddaCaddra posted:

I swear, only Dexter could come back as a limited series and STILL have filler episodes. Matter of fact I'm willing to bet that's mostly what this will end up being.

This wasn't a filler episode, though, Dexter massaged the crime scene and followed the police investigation and we saw more from the kidnapped girl and some Dexter and Harrison stuff and a little drama with the girlfriend and her daughter, and found a new unwitting antagonist in Clancy Brown. I don't think they're gonna fall into a murder-of-the-week cycle again, if that was what you were expecting, this series is probably just gonna be about this little town and Dexter and Harrison, and the fallout from this murder and whatever is going on with the kidnapped girls.

I dunno guys, I kinda like it so far. It's a little dumb, but it's fun and compelling and they really did slip right back into the old Dexter feel without missing a beat. It's like night and day compared to some of the other years-later revivals like Arrested Development where they just can't quite capture what made the older seasons tick.

e: I also like Ghost Deb as a way of showing just how hosed up Dexter is underneath the surface -- schizophrenia (schizophrenia?) seems a lot more scary when you're hallucinating about a loved one raging and screaming at you instead of a nice calm old man to talk to.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 14, 2021

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It’s amazing how much restraint they showed last week with the voice over but now they’re all in.

Dexter has his own Black Phillip.

I hope they keep coming back to this letter in each episode and each new passage will reveal something so stupid.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 14, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ghost Deb just making fun of Dexter while he scrambles to cover up his tracks was genuinely good fun and in fact I would be happy with a whole episode that was just her making fun of every single sloppy decision he makes in season 1-8

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should have called the show Jim

clown shoes posted:

It’s amazing how much restraint they showed last week with the voice over but now they’re all in.

Dexter has his own Black Phillip.

I hope they keep coming back to this letter in each episode and each new passage will reveal something so stupid.

I pray you are doing well, my dearest Hannah.

Forever yours,
Dexter Morgan (now known as Jim Lindsay) The Bay Harbor Butcher (it was me, not Doakes).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

This wasn't a filler episode, though, Dexter massaged the crime scene and followed the police investigation and we saw more from the kidnapped girl and some Dexter and Harrison stuff and a little drama with the girlfriend and her daughter, and found a new unwitting antagonist in Clancy Brown. I don't think they're gonna fall into a murder-of-the-week cycle again, if that was what you were expecting, this series is probably just gonna be about this little town and Dexter and Harrison, and the fallout from this murder and whatever is going on with the kidnapped girls.

I dunno guys, I kinda like it so far. It's a little dumb, but it's fun and compelling and they really did slip right back into the old Dexter feel without missing a beat. It's like night and day compared to some of the other years-later revivals like Arrested Development where they just can't quite capture what made the older seasons tick.

e: I also like Ghost Deb as a way of showing just how hosed up Dexter is underneath the surface -- schizophrenia (schizophrenia?) seems a lot more scary when you're hallucinating about a loved one raging and screaming at you instead of a nice calm old man to talk to.

I wasn't expecting murder of the week, but the pacing just seemed slow.

Could've used a subplot about the annoying boy scout deputy :v:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked that one a lot better. Ghost Deb and Harrison are both a lot better than I thought they'd be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty good. Given how loving stupid the s8 finale was I think they've done a good job salvaging a coherent storyline out of it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm liking it so far, I really am. Especially glad they used the original outro theme as they had been hinting at some original soundtrack themes previously. Pick apart the show all you like, the music was always great

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Is this bad enough to be worth watching yet or does it bring back the sweet hate watch feelings after all these years?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Is this bad enough to be worth watching yet or does it bring back the sweet hate watch feelings after all these years?

Honestly, no. It's not good, but it's not bad enough to laugh at while watching. Well, maybe a little. It's just barely competent enough and kinda boring.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Slamhound posted:

This touches on something that's always bothered me about Dexter. From what I understand of serial killers, there's usually a sexual component to their urges, but this show has always worked very hard to strip that from Dexter's personality. Certainly in the first season where he barely seems to understand what sex even is in his relation with Rita, and then more directly when he has the woman cop on his table and he says "Nobody's getting raped!".

"Dark Passenger" is little more than a place-holder phrase for something that never actually gets examined and as a result there's a kind of sleight of hand that makes it seem as though Dexter's "urge" is an urge for justice and all other compulsions, urges, and drives are thoroughly desexualized while still being presented in sexual language.

I think early on, they handled it better by focusing on blood, but then as the seasons went on and the writing got lovely, "Blood Spatter Expert" got shifted to standard "Super Detective" and even that unpleasantness was factored out.

Dexter's dark passenger is just the hosed up brainwashing Harry put him through. Harry caught his son killing animals, and rather than doing anything a sane father would do, told his son that his brain had been transformed as a baby into a Serial Killer Brain, that he had no choice but to become a serial killer, and then trained him to become a serial killer. Harry is a monster.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dexter's only victim this week was my time

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You can't fool me, Dexter. I know this show isn't in New York. I'd recognize those Staties' cars anywhere.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's amazing. We're two episodes in and it's already like season 8 never ended. After all these years absolutely no lessons were learnt.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Show isn't that bad so far, but does everyone forget that Dexter seasons always start this way? Usually the first 3 or 4 episodes sets some interesting things up but it crashes and burns by the end. Most of that is due to plot armor though so we will see if the writers actually have some balls to do something different.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it's episode 2 and Dexter is zooming over the blood trail he left in the snow on his snow mobile as the cops search the area. oh and his son is with him

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

"Whoops! Forgot the blood trail that led from my house all the way back to the scene of the murder" is peak Dexter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexter can't stop narrating every millisecond and has a corpse stuffed under his public fireplace.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

JaddaCaddra posted:

Oh my god it just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

So we ended the last episode thinking he threw Matt's remains in the lake. No, turns out he put his body IN THE FIRE PIT ON HIS OWN loving PROPERTY. Also the person watching the camera is so obviously Clancy Brown, cause we can't have an antagonist just be someone who poses a threat to exposing Dexter. Nah, they gotta be killers too.

Jesus loving Christ this is bad. Are we sure Scott Buck isn't wearing a Clyde Philips skin suit?

there's only two likely culprits for the kidnappings so it's not exactly a brain buster

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

"Whoops! Forgot the blood trail that led from my house all the way back to the scene of the murder" is peak Dexter.

That half-assed cover-up attempt is one of those things where you're pissed off they even brought it up. Set up that the cops are going to find it as the cliffhanger and then Dexter driving over the blood spots is a 100% foolproof way of making them go away. The 80 cops never spot them and nothing comes of it at all.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dexter managed to cover two blood spots before the entire police force and volunteers showed up and not one saw the blood spots next to his house as they started mulling around? Dexter is back baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol everything to do with the blood coverup was peak awful Dexter