Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao the gun charges were like the one thing i thought they might bother to convict him for since even if they end up ruling that all the shooting was perfectly fine and legal it's pretty indisputable that he crossed state lines with an illegally-possessed firearm while underage, but no they're just going to exonerate him on everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Breaking out the tape measure on the still smoking barrel of a gun covered in Groypers to check if it was a murder or not.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

lol not even gonna get the most minor nothing charge, 100% scott free for murder, awesome.

I'm glad they dropped it. Now they have to let leftists get away with illegal gun purchases!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Schroeder is going back and rereading parts of the jury instruction for reckless homicide because he misspoke the first time he read it

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the gun is too short, you can kill a dork

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/thelauracoates/status/1460278007122305030

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I spread fake news, Rittenhouse is innocent because his gun is long

quote:

Ahead of Monday’s closing arguments, Judge Bruce Schroeder ruled Wisconsin’s open carry law is so confusingly written it can be interpreted to mean 17-year-olds can openly carry firearms as long as they’re not short-barrel rifles. He believed the jury could only convict if prosecutors proved the barrel of Rittenhouse’s rifle was less than 16 inches and has an overall length shorter than 26 inches.

The AR-15-style rifle Rittenhouse used to fatally shoot two men and injure a third is 35 inches long with a barrel length of 16 inches. Under defense questioning, a Kenosha police detective said he believed the Smith & Wesson M & P 15 was standard size.
The state law says “any person under 18 years of age who possesses or goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.” It defines a dangerous weapon as any “firearm, loaded or unloaded,” as well as metallic knucks, nunchaku, pointed stars and other items.

Rittenhouse’s defense team, however, successfully argued that there was a loophole in the law that says the misdemeanor only applies to 17-year-olds carrying short-barrel rifles. Carrying a short-barrel rifle at any age in Wisconsin is a felony, with exceptions for active military and police officers.

Schroeder acknowledged the statute was confusing, likening it to the infamous Roman Emperor Caligula’s posting new laws high upon a column so his citizens could not study them.

“I‘m still trying to figure out what it says, what is prohibited,” Schroeder said Friday before making his final decision. “Now I have the good fortune of having some experience and a legal education. How is your ordinary citizen supposed to acquaint herself with what this law says?”

In a memorandum issued in 2018, the Wisconsin Legislative Council — a government-supported, nonpartisan legislative service agency — shared the prosecution’s understanding of the open carry law and made no mention of the loophole in its summary of the state’s firearm regulations.

“Under Wisconsin law, with certain exceptions for hunting, military service, and target practice, a person under age 18 is generally prohibited from possessing or going armed with a firearm,” the memorandum states.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-kyle-rittenhouse-gun-charge-judge-jury-instructions-20211115-grgmffpwsnf3tbw7ezizjkfaxa-story.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I'm glad they dropped it. Now they have to let leftists get away with illegal gun purchases!

yea at least we can take comfort in knowing that despite this being a disgusting failure of the justice system at least it means us leftists will be allowed to stockpile arms and bring them to protests unbothered by the state.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the gun is long, can do no wrong

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Everything is just made up bullshit

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

edit: it's even dumber than I thought. If the gun was shorter it would have illegal to have it

Manufacturers don't make illegal guns. So the judge is just basically saying the spirit behind this charge was that Kyle did aftermarket modifications to his gun. Lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol so wait the defense just made up a loophole and the judge was all 'dur well who's to say what's right? I am, and Kyle our sweet little angel boy was right'?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

you can't convict his barrel is too shor- I mean BIG. his barrel is far too big, long, and girthy to be locked away from the public forever

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
judge: "whos to say laws are real"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

lol so wait the defense just made up a loophole and the judge was all 'dur well who's to say what's right? I am, and Kyle our sweet little angel boy was right'?

see, the law says "seventeen year olds are not allowed to own any weapons including firearms" but who's to say what that really means? when you think about it, it's basically caligula from the roman empire

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It would have been illegal for Rittenhouse to open carry shurikens or nunchuku in Wisconsin, but he had a rifle so it was cool
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/60

quote:

(1)  In this section, “dangerous weapon" means any firearm, loaded or unloaded; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a); metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles; a nunchaku or any similar weapon consisting of 2 sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather; a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand; a shuriken or any similar pointed star-like object intended to injure a person when thrown; or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

gun long so what

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

It would have been illegal for Rittenhouse to open carry shurikens or nunchuku in Wisconsin, but he had a rifle so it was cool

this is a real blow to our antifa anime superstars

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Judge ruled that you can't say 'gun' because that's biased against the defendant.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

ninjas: do not bring your evil here

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

This is true under Wisconsin case law:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/939/iii/48

"While there is no statutory duty to retreat, whether the opportunity to retreat was available goes to whether the defendant reasonably believed the force used was necessary to prevent an interference with his or her person. A jury instruction to that effect was proper. State v. Wenger, 225 Wis. 2d 495, 593 N.W.2d 467 (Ct. App. 1999), 98-1739."

But seems to only apply to dwellings?

Section 1m.

Cranappleberry has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Nov 15, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:actually: the type of gun used to kill was always irrelevant since all guns serve a primary function ipso ergo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I had to look up what is a cestus, and I'm glad the Wisconsin legislature is taking time to ban roman boxing gloves

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I had to look up what is a cestus, and I'm glad the Wisconsin legislature is taking time to ban roman boxing gloves

if you ain't a retiarius you ain't poo poo

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
judge now instructing jury that AR actually stands for armalite rifle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

if there's one thing we've all learned from this trial, it's that the Wisconsin legal system is primarily based on precedent set in the Roman Empire

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
"shame on me uhhhh uhhhh"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

judge now instructing jury that AR actually stands for armalite rifle

the jury shall acknowledge that it is in fact a magazine *disgusted scoff*

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

skipmyseashells posted:

yeah but he wasn’t a white little neo-nazi who barely fits in a t-shirt

Please do not shame a man for liking a sundae, even on a Monday

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If I'm reading the Wisconsin code correctly as interpreted by Schroeder, 17 year olds can open carry an anti-material rifle but not brass knuckles.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

while i may disagree with the ruling thank god for the process

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shurikens - don't
Nunchuku - don't
AR -15 - go for it
Brass knuckles - don't
FGM-148 Javelin - maybe?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
just in the judge has granted rittenhouse a free killdozer???

that can’t be right

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Your honour, my client who is currently curled under the bench devolving into an amorphous blob of quivering pudding requires a Metal Gear in order to defend himself from the aunteeeefuhhhs.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

just in the judge has granted rittenhouse a free killdozer???

that can’t be right

Lol this made me chuckle

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
must have missed the string of ninja murders that would require banning shurikens and nunchuks

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just in, the judge now grabbed the gun and shot repeatedly into the air while telling the camera to quote SUCK IT endquote.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The judge just stopped mid sentence, said "I don't like where I'm at" and called the lawyers up

He's now going off script and saying if the jury thinks Rittenhouse was acting lawfully in self-defense then they're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Schroeder is very upset about how complicated the instructions are when they should just ask the jury to consider if Rittenhouse was acting in self-defense