Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Wait a minute... the law... is applied unfairly???

No, this can't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
if those people don’t march for Cuba’s freedom we can kiss the left’s power goodbye

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
idk if its been brought up in this thread yet but if Gaige Grosskreutz had wasted Kyle when he had the chance, all those "self defense" arguments would still apply, right? he knows Rittenhouse is the only active shooter, he watches him reload after he puts his hands up, clearly this is what the "good guy with a gun" should be doing here right? but instead he decides not to kill him but to disarm him instead and got both a permanent disability and a lifetime of death threats for it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JAMOOOL posted:

idk if its been brought up in this thread yet but if Gaige Grosskreutz had wasted Kyle when he had the chance, all those "self defense" arguments would still apply, right?

lol

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

idk if its been brought up in this thread yet but if Gaige Grosskreutz had wasted Kyle when he had the chance, all those "self defense" arguments would still apply, right? he knows Rittenhouse is the only active shooter, he watches him reload after he puts his hands up, clearly this is what the "good guy with a gun" should be doing here right? but instead he decides not to kill him but to disarm him instead and got both a permanent disability and a lifetime of death threats for it

That would be a consistent application of the arguments put forward by the defense in this case as far as I can tell.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

if Gaige Grosskreutz had wasted Kyle when he had the chance, all those "self defense" arguments would still apply, right?

They would but the guys who made them would be sitting on the other side so no

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I was going to make a joke about mutual combat in common law, but Rosenbaum's death would at least be considered a manslaughter under some definitions of it. Rittenhouse using a gun when Rosenbaum was unarmed may also make it inapplicable.

https://www.duhaime.org/Legal-Dictionary/Term/MutualCombat

quote:

Russell on Crimes, Third Edition described mutual combat as follows:

"Whereupon words of reproach, or other sudden provocation, the parties come to blows, and a combat ensues, no undue advantage being sought or taken on either side ... if death happen under such circumstances, the offence of the party killing will amount only to manslaughter.... If, therefore, upon a sudden quarrel, the parties fight upon the spot, or if they fetch their weapons and go into a field and fight, and one of them be killed, it will be but manslaughter, because it may be presumed that the blood never cooled."

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

JAMOOOL posted:

If Grosskreuts had wasted Kyle then the cops would have gunned him down in the street. Leftists don't get trials.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

in theory yes, the courts are legitimizing the idea of street confrontations where both parties can claim self defence. in practice,

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lmao

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Retromancer posted:

If Grosskreuts had wasted Kyle then the cops would have gunned him down in the street. Leftists don't get trials.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

I was going to make a joke about mutual combat in common law, but Rosenbaum's death would at least be considered a manslaughter under some definitions of it. Rittenhouse using a gun when Rosenbaum was unarmed may also make it inapplicable.

https://www.duhaime.org/Legal-Dictionary/Term/MutualCombat

the :thejoke: of course ebing that american judges are just free to decide whether (a particular) common law applies without the possibility of appeal or argument

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

this is now legal

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

wonder how many people are losing it over his trigger discipline or whatever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i can't believe they threatened to kill that poor innocent boy in the court room unless he said he loved antifa and black lives matters

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I wish they had the fat prosecutor pose with the gun.

He seems like the smarter one though.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shocking that a coworker of the guy that shot an unarmed Black man multiple times in the back sucks at trigger discipline.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
At least he's not pointing it at his own dick.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

vyelkin posted:

in theory yes, the courts are legitimizing the idea of street confrontations where both parties can claim self defence. in practice,

this is kind of where I'm going, I tried to make this argument to some idiot friend of mine who responded that Gaige couldn't shoot him because he didn't know the circumstances that led to him killing 2 people

which is to say, if you're concealed carrying and find yourself in an active shooter situation, you can't make a move on the shooter unless you personally verify he isn't committing a crime, since open carrying an AR-15 across state lines and killing two unarmed people apparently may actually be legal if one of 'em throws a bag of toothpaste at you first? am I reading this right?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

the whole thing is so goddamn stupid because any counterprotestor waving a big dumb rifle in people's faces is at least going to qualify as a "microaggression" and it turns out its not unreasonable to fear for your life when you see that

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do we know who Rittenhouse called right after he murdered Rosenbaum?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

JAMOOOL posted:

this is kind of where I'm going, I tried to make this argument to some idiot friend of mine who responded that Gaige couldn't shoot him because he didn't know the circumstances that led to him killing 2 people

which is to say, if you're concealed carrying and find yourself in an active shooter situation, you can't make a move on the shooter unless you personally verify he isn't committing a crime, since open carrying an AR-15 across state lines and killing two unarmed people apparently may actually be legal if one of 'em throws a bag of toothpaste at you first? am I reading this right?

Yeah this case seems to be "setting the precedent" (lmao) that you're totally free to ignore the cops telling you to stay in your home or risk being arrested, carrying a loaded gun (which Rittenhouse wasn't even technically legally allowed to), and kill someone if you get spooked. Like you say, it's all horseshit - if Rittenhouse was black, if Rittenhouse was on the other side of the protest, if Rittenhouse killed an undercover cop, he wouldn't even be in court, he'd be loving dead already. They sure as poo poo wouldn't be talking about how actually he's a good little angel because of the barrel length of his weapon.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

:yooge: trigger discipline

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Umm I'm an proud American. I don't get 'trigger'ed. :smuggo:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

90% of gun ownership in the US is performative. I've found that most the people who are shittiest at using guns are the ones who won't shut the gently caress up about them.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

pretty irrelevant imo, nobody is going to prosecute a dead person

nobody is pressing charges against the two dead men and saying Rittenhouse was allowed to kill them because they were committing a crime, and nobody will ever be able to say that in a factual legal sense because nobody is going to prosecute them and therefore prove they were killed while in the act of committing a crime. if the one protester with a gun had shot Rittenhouse, been charged with murder for it, and survived to trial then (theoretically, in some frictionless vacuum legal scenario where he gets the same leeway Rittenhouse is getting right now) his lawyers would be making the exact same arguments that he was committing self-defence against someone who had just killed two people and was now pointing a rifle at him

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I was watching the trial when that picture was taken. The defence objected because he was facing the wrong way. At least Judge Maga overruled that.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
This feels like video game end credits which remind the player what characters and carnivorous mushroom enemies they met during their journey.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
goddamn how hard is it to remember one name, he even has notes in front of him

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"and thats when i murdered in self defense, you can see that yellow pixel, no zoom, thats the self-defense bullet coming out of my perfectly legal long barrel, not a shop."

https://twitter.com/ndelriego/status/1460349638750396416

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

*Proud boy being shot at a protest out of fear going on Rittenhouse style shoot spree.* "Nooo Rittenhouse was innocent that means you're supposed to feat me!"

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

"You can just ignore people you don't like. uwu" as a Proud Boy breaks my skull.