Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CPL593H posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that happens when you have the same characters around for decades and dozens of people have to come up with poo poo to do with them in that time. I hate telling people I like comic books because they automatically assume I like this kind of trash. If you've read any superhero stories from 30-50 years ago you don't need to read anymore because they just keep putting out the same poo poo but worse every time.

Not in this case. Eros and Thanos debuted in the same issue, all the way back in 1973. He's vintage Marvel, not a regrettable later addition. Nostalgia is a treacherous mistress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carthag Tuek posted:

So it turns out that the two previous conductors of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation Girl Choir (Danmarks Radios Pigekor) have molested at least 64 girls & women from 1966 to 2010. Official complaints were lodged years ago, but not until after #metoo has anything happened.

Lots of finger pointing.

Some articles in English:
https://news.yahoo.com/danish-radio-girls-choir-report-125621946.html
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/danish-radio-girls-choir-report-unearths-sexual-misconduct-81107439

The English articles are really soft peddling this compared to what you wrote, poo poo

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

The English articles are really soft peddling this compared to what you wrote, poo poo

Well UK media/establishment doesn't have the greatest track record of acting on paedophilia :(

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1460050676512440320

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Why would you hang around with him after that?

Edit : not trying to be inflammatory or arseholish,serious question.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 15, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Actually,makes no difference,guy’s a scumbag of the highest order so just imagine my previous question never existed.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"Monster hiding in plain sight?"

Hiding?

Did he ever pretend to be anything but?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Remember that Jimmy Saville also kept making "jokes" about being a creep that shouldn't be allowed near children.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’m not sure who you’re talking about here, the answer is either incredibly simple or incredibly complicated:

If you’re asking about his friends, colleagues and hangers-on who stuck around, the simple answer is money, fame and excitement taking value over the lives of people you may or may not know

If you’re talking about the women, the answer is really complicated but they (the women in question) try to go into it in the article. Men like Manson are very good at developing a pattern that they can use to get women eased into an abusive relationship. You start with gifts and attention and praise, slowly remove other concerns from her life through isolation, and then once there’s a dependency, you start the shocking stuff, which you alternate with downplaying her concerns and fears to keep her thinking that maybe things are fine or that she’s the crazy one. Manson has been doing this for decades, so he’s completely surrounded himself with enablers and an environment designed to facilitate this. Plus, he’s very charismatic and has been able to play both sides of the Professional Provacateur card, he can say the worst most grotesque poo poo because he’s playing a character so why are you taking it so seriously? It’s all just a joke, which for over 20 years was enough to get the industry to look the other way. Between his pattern, his surroundings and his knowledge of who might be susceptible, once he gets his hooks in it’s easy to fall into an alternate reality.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mansons coasted a long time off how great that “I wouldn’t say anything, I would listen” quote in bowling for Colombine was. It’s easy to think that, because the fundamentalist idiots hate him he must be actually alright.

Also I can easily see it as passing off the most extreme statements he’s come out with as a joke, I’ve known a few characters like that.

The “bad girls room” for example sounds like a BDSM thing, so it would be tempting from a naive outsiders perspective to assume that, of course Marilyn Manson is into BDSM and so his girlfriends must be also, right? The point being the more someone seems completely unashamed of their behaviour the more it normalises or, because people don’t want to think about the other angle.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 15, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The isolation is really a big factor. A lot of the time the really intense abusive behavior doesn't start until the person has you isolated from your friends and family, so that you feel like getting out would mean having to restart your entire life from scratch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It's a mix of not rocking the boat, hoping for favors, nepotism, and not wanting to get blacklisted. I'm sure fear is a big part in general.

My ur-example is Alec Holowka, who sort of shot to the top of the indie scene in the late 00s and was a pretty powerful/influential person for over a decade while being a absolute psychopath terror to almost everyone close to him, from friends to coworkers and partners. It sort reached a point where incoming women to the indie scene would get that "hey, fyi, don't be alone in a room with Alec" speech that insular groups give to the new members about the person they can't afford to piss off or get rid of.

You hear about it all the time, because it's the person who with one word or phonecall can drastically affect someone's earning potential and therefore almost no one is willing to stand up and put them on blast, or even signal boost the few people who are.

It comes up a lot in traditional "nerd" or niche hobbies, where mega creeps and abusers are tolerated for the sake of the hobby group being able to exist.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not sure who you’re talking about here, the answer is either incredibly simple or incredibly complicated:

If you’re asking about his friends, colleagues and hangers-on who stuck around, the simple answer is money, fame and excitement taking value over the lives of people you may or may not know

If you’re talking about the women, the answer is really complicated but they (the women in question) try to go into it in the article. Men like Manson are very good at developing a pattern that they can use to get women eased into an abusive relationship. You start with gifts and attention and praise, slowly remove other concerns from her life through isolation, and then once there’s a dependency, you start the shocking stuff, which you alternate with downplaying her concerns and fears to keep her thinking that maybe things are fine or that she’s the crazy one. Manson has been doing this for decades, so he’s completely surrounded himself with enablers and an environment designed to facilitate this. Plus, he’s very charismatic and has been able to play both sides of the Professional Provacateur card, he can say the worst most grotesque poo poo because he’s playing a character so why are you taking it so seriously? It’s all just a joke, which for over 20 years was enough to get the industry to look the other way. Between his pattern, his surroundings and his knowledge of who might be susceptible, once he gets his hooks in it’s easy to fall into an alternate reality.

Thank you for the explanation,much appreciated.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Why do abuse victims continue to maintain relationships with their abusers?" is actually a valid question that is worthy of exploration and has many complex and varied answers. You've made it clear that you're asking from a place of genuine interest and not because you're trying to shame the victims or cast doubt on their claims; so I think it's a good idea to dive into the thought process on display here because understanding why things like this happen is the first step in preventing them from happening again.

Let's look into a few of the reasons why a victim would stay (I know this was a question asked specifically in regards in Marylin Manson, but I'm going to be speaking in general terms because a lot of what Manson did is very common among abusers): One of the main reasons victims stay is because they feel like they have nowhere else to go, a feeling that is very much intentionally created by the abuser. One of the early warning signs of an abusive relationship is when one partner starts isolating the other partner from their friends and family, slowly taking away all contact they have with their social safety network until the only person they have left to rely on is the abuser. The abusers is now free to treat the victim however they want because they've had escaping that much more difficult. Another reasons victims stay is because they've normalized their treatment and often blame them selves for their abuse (again this is a feeling the abuser actively strive to intentionally create). Abuse raely starts out as bad as it's going to get, more often than not it's more of a "slow burn" or "frog boiling" type situation where it starts out small and then gradually escalates over time. This ensures that the victims gradually "gets used to" the treatment and comes to internalize it as just a regular part of their life. Also, the abuser well often dull out their abuse in a way that makes it seem like it's only being done because of something the victim did thus making it the victims fault. "I hit you because YOU burned dinner" or "I beat you because YOU keep talking to other men" the abuser always has an excuse for their behavior, there's always a reason to keep causing the victim harm. The victim begins to see their treatment as something they deserve, rather than a crime that's being done to them which is what it actually is. The third reason a victim might stay is because they genuinely care for and love their abuser, or at least they love the person they used to be before the abuse started happening. Abuser aren't always abusive all the time, sometimes (especially at the beginning of the relationship) they do things for their partner that are loving and kind. Sometimes the victim feels that if they can just "tough out" the abuse things will get better again and the relationship will get good again. This is often coupled with the idea that the abuse is their fault, and that if they can just "be better" they can somehow make the abuse stop through the power of love. The abuse won't stop, because it's not actually being done to them because of anything they did but because the abuser gets pleasure from controlling them and causing them harm, but it can hard to realize that and even harder to accept it when the person hurting you is someone who you still care deeply for. These are just a few of the reasons victims stay with abusers, there's a lot more and a lot of over lap, but this is the shortest way I could think of to summarize an incredibly complex topic.

If anyone is interested in learning more about abusive relationships with men and the psychology of why women stay with them please read "Why Does He Do That?" by Lundy Bancroft. It's more about how abusers think than how the victims thinks, but understanding the mind of the abuser can help better understand the state that the victim is in and what is being done to control them and why.

Would also be open to and be deeply appreciative of any other book suggestions on this topic from people ITT, I'm always looking to learn more about abuse because like I said before understanding it is the first step that needs to be taken in order to prevent it from continuing to happen.

edit:

DC Murderverse posted:

Aw dang it, while I was typing someone already posted a shorter and better summary of the situation.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 15, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

No those are both equally valid posts,thank you both for taking the time to explain,much appreciated.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If it's asked in good faith, it's a good question to ask because it has real answers. Those answers help one understand the nature of abuse and abusers. In turn, this helps one understand the abused so if someone in your life is going through it, you're better equipped to notice and help.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
additionally victims might stay with abusers because the abuser threatens, implicitly or explicitly, to hurt or kill themselves if the victim leaves them

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Rose McGowan and Dita Von Teese have both said he wasn’t abusive at all. Same with his current wife.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MLSM posted:

Rose McGowan and Dita Von Teese have both said he wasn’t abusive at all. Same with his current wife.

Ok. That's great for them that they didn't experience that.

Person 1: X abused me
Person 2: X didn't abuse me
Random people: Person 1 must be lying!

I see stuff like this all time and I'm still confused over how the hell that adds up. Someone not abusing a specific person doesn't prove anything either way about them abusing a completely different person. No one even has to be lying in this situation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
McGowan actually is clear about this and point and publicly stands with his victims.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

peer posted:

additionally victims might stay with abusers because the abuser threatens, implicitly or explicitly, to hurt or kill themselves if the victim leaves them

Evan Rachel Wood actually said that he would tell her over and over how he knew "dangerous people" that would hurt her family if she tried to leave him or told anybody about what he was doing to her, etc.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I forget her real name, but the actress who played Ros the red headed sex worker from Game of Thrones, also said Manson was abusive.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

deoju posted:

I forget her real name, but the actress who played Ros the red headed sex worker from Game of Thrones, also said Manson was abusive.

Yep, she's in the article. Here's one part, obvious CW:

quote:

Game of Thrones actress Esmé Bianco alleges that Warner frequently abused her verbally; deprived her of sleep and food; bit, cut, electrocuted, and whipped her without her consent; and raped her during their two years together. Bianco alleges that, in one horrifying episode, Warner wielded an ax and chased her around the apartment smashing holes in the walls after saying she was “crowding him.”

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MLSM posted:

Ok

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

wizardofloneliness posted:

Ok. That's great for them that they didn't experience that.

Person 1: X abused me
Person 2: X didn't abuse me
Random people: Person 1 must be lying!

I see stuff like this all time and I'm still confused over how the hell that adds up. Someone not abusing a specific person doesn't prove anything either way about them abusing a completely different person. No one even has to be lying in this situation.

Obviously a bunch of women independently conspiring against Brian Warner is a far more likely story than "he's an abusive waste of skin who targeted a specific type of victim." Duh.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That person's the loving Chappelle apologist. Just put them on ignore and/or report their posts. I imagine they're just here to troll.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

I’m sure they appreciate the support of someone who rolls with a fascist who uses his platform to call for a roll back on trans rights, who also happens to have domestic violence allegations hanging over him.

You lie with pigs, you get covered in poo poo.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't want to excuse any of McGowan's bad acts, but she is also a victim of sexual assault and was literally stalked and harassed by ex-Mossad agents when she tried to speak out about it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MLSM posted:

Just because someone is an abuser doesn't mean they will abuse everyone they enter into a relationship with. In fact a lot of abusers are masters at figuring out who is vulnerable enough to stay silent and who could potentially push back and/or expose them. A prime example of this is Josh Whedon, hence why you get testimonies from Charisma Carpenter and Gal Gadot about him making their lives hell but nothing from Sarah Michelle Gellar or Scarlet Johansson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
To her credit IIRC Sarah Michele Geller has been supportive of Charisma Carpenter.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Joss whedon is a bully type,he picked on people he considered “less than”stuntpeople,extras,people who weren’t male main actors,people who wouldn’t “rock the boat” and upend a show or movie if they did kick up a fuss.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AceOfFlames posted:

Just because someone is an abuser doesn't mean they will abuse everyone they enter into a relationship with. In fact a lot of abusers are masters at figuring out who is vulnerable enough to stay silent and who could potentially push back and/or expose them. A prime example of this is Josh Whedon, hence why you get testimonies from Charisma Carpenter and Gal Gadot about him making their lives hell but nothing from Sarah Michelle Gellar or Scarlet Johansson.

This isn't to say that famous people can't be abused but McGowan and Von Teese might have been at points in their careers where it would have made it harder for him to start the abuse cycle with isolating or controlling them.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I’m sure they appreciate the support of someone who rolls with a fascist who uses his platform to call for a roll back on trans rights, who also happens to have domestic violence allegations hanging over him.

are you also in the "amber heard was an abuser therefore who cares if Depp was" camp?

I ask not because I think that you are, but because you don't seem to see how the logic applies here too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

It's a bad take to poo poo on victims because of their politics when it's not relevant to the discussion and your line of thinking has been used for people to justify themselves in handwaving accusations.

But more importantly, I think you're just being that dude at the party who goes "Did you know John Lennon hit his wife?" It's irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that the troll came in and said some bullshit using her stated experience as some implied counter to the tons of accusations against Manson. McGowan actually made it clear her experiences in no way are intended to counter Manson's victims' experiences. She said all the right things in this one case because people are not cartoon characters. lovely people can be victims and they can also sometimes do the right thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1460737151046336512?s=20

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

If it's asked in good faith, it's a good question to ask because it has real answers. Those answers help one understand the nature of abuse and abusers. In turn, this helps one understand the abused so if someone in your life is going through it, you're better equipped to notice and help.

This. And the other descriptions of why victims stay with their abusers is spot on.
I was in a sexually and physically violent marraige with an absolute scab for two years and it went exactly as described above - super nice, then isolation, then ever increasing cruelty. I was an easy target because my family already treated me as a verbal punching bag and he at least offered me a way out. Moving from one toxic household to another further away felt like a step up, and my self esteem was already so low that making me believe that if I left him it meant I was a failure as a spouse was an easy way to keep me around.
It's shocking how effective this tactic is, and also shocking how no one seemed to notice.
Abusers are filth.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This isn't Hollywood, but it's important. A huge sexual assault scandal has been rocking the NHL for a while and there's a big thread in the sports forum about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

List of industries that haven't had a sexual assault scandal:

There's Foodtube, I guess? (But I feel like it won't be long before a big name like Babish or Joshua Weismann get outed)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

List of industries that haven't had a sexual assault scandal:

There's Foodtube, I guess? (But I feel like it won't be long before a big name like Babish or Joshua Weismann get outed)

Babish is guilty of environmental assault:

https://twitter.com/BingingWBabish/status/1455535069712502796?t=Vj7tpZGXQYChRyVdf4gv3A&s=19

https://twitter.com/BingingWBabish/status/1455544891946196994?t=RHbW43RVmlVEcOsQqdB10w&s=19

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean guy fieri was reverse cancelled but he used to chucklefuck when people said cream and poo poo on set