Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
I read "Strive Baiken" as "Steve Baiken," and I'm now imaging him wielding a giant pipe club thing, throws sliding doors, and has absolutely huge pecs, so he'd fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1459976169881849868?s=20

Street Fighter rosters over the years. The look of 4 and 5 both grew on me over time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

4 will always look a little weird because of the shading choices, but yeah 5 has grown on me as well. I think my favorite sprites are still alpha's though, even if 3S's sprite work is much more detailed and fluid. I like the color and saturation, and I think they tried to do less detailed shading compared to even ST, which makes things look more clear.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 14, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
sf4's default poison outfit is better than her sf5 one for sure

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'll never stop loving 4's goofy and distinctive style, but 5 has yet to grow on me because the other games I play blow it out of the water in terms of visuals. I think the "plastic" look of SFV skin isn't something I'll be able to get over.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

sf4's default poison outfit is better than her sf5 one for sure

Same for Juri, who became grotesque and less memorable at the same time

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Same for Juri, who became grotesque and less memorable at the same time

Her feet are so loving huge... Someone must have a foot fetish at capcom

God... can you just imagine juri's foot stomping on your face forever

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
very easily actually

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

God... can you just imagine juri's foot stomping on your face forever

Yeah ha ha who would want that? *sweats nervously*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I always thought SF5 was consciously trying to evoke the Alpha style in its own really crappy way.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
SF4 is solid but 5 is a train wreck get these plastic play dough dummies out of my face!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never understood why Necali was supposed to be cool but I especially never got why they decided to make one of their marquee characters a big hair monster but not do anything to keep the hair from looking spectacularly bad

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I honestly always felt like Necali was nothing more than a tech demo for their hair, for better or worse.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I never understood why Necali was supposed to be cool but I especially never got why they decided to make one of their marquee characters a big hair monster but not do anything to keep the hair from looking spectacularly bad

When given the choice between working out the actual rigging for the hair for each move or just let the physic's engine do all the work they chose the road of less :effort:

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Big Hair Rigs Over The Node Tracing
Necalli should have had at least one super where he did the whole wall of goop thing he did in the story mode scenes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope in SF6 they manually animate hair and skirts and stuff instead of letting the physics engine just go nuts, but I also hope they build in a 1 in 10 chance of a winscreen covering the character’s face in their own hair

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Necalli's walk animation was not particularly well suited to how often you change direction inputs in a game, playing the dippy little duck part of his movement animation back and forth dispelled any notion that he was a fearsome dude. G's walk cycle also had this problem, I recall, where it's meant to be a big long cycle but just the first few frames resetting over and over look silly.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's not as silly as Eddie Gordo KBD though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Street Fighter 5 has some great character designs and at the same time, has some truly awful ones. There's just no consistency at all; the work done for characters like Zeka and Menat was a much higher quality than Ken, Necalli, quasimodo french fry-headed Alex, poo poo like Cammy's wack air throw. Others like Falke, Kolin, and Luke are just really lame Copypaste Blonde Person. At least in SF4 everyone was the same kind of potato person---SF5 had giants and pinheads galore with no real quality control.

Even more puzzling was that characters like Ryu and Chun-Li had vastly superior "alt" costumes (Bearded Ryu, Battle Outfit Chun-Li) which should have just been the default.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Xbox One/Series back compat has been updated with support for DOA Ultimate, DOA3 and DOA4, meaning you can finally use your expensive, hard-to-get new console to get obliterated by Alpha-152 over and over all over again.

EDIT: Also MK9 and MK vs. DC

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 15, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Even more puzzling was that characters like Ryu and Chun-Li had vastly superior "alt" costumes (Bearded Ryu, Battle Outfit Chun-Li) which should have just been the default.

They wouldn't have been able to sell them otherwise.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

When given the choice between working out the actual rigging for the hair for each move or just let the physic's engine do all the work they chose the road of less :effort:

Given what's been said about SFV's development, it was less a case of :effort: and more that they didn't have the budget or time for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Most problems in game dev are the result of an impossible time crunch or any of the other myriad issues caused by incompetent management, be it directly on the project via producers or a larger corporate presence

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ono was clearly a knucklehead and the fighting game division was run on loose change. Hopefully capcom has its poo poo together and we get something on re engine that stands up to other releases they've had in quality
The alternative of them pulling another mvci and reusing all the sfv art with worse lighting is too dire to consider

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't possibly imagine they won't use RE Engine. There's no reason not to.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unless ono created a huge tech debt plowing ahead on ue4 or whatever and they couldnt get the budget to scrap it and redo on top of the delay but capcom would have to really want to gently caress up super badly to let that happen

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

SFVI, proudly made on the Unity Engine!
The decision to use Unity was made after seeing how robust of a selection the asset store had.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I hope in SF6 they manually animate hair and skirts and stuff instead of letting the physics engine just go nuts, but I also hope they build in a 1 in 10 chance of a winscreen covering the character’s face in their own hair

gently caress that, give the physics engine free rein and give everyone R. Mika hair.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Today is the 10th anniversary of umvc3, happy birthday umvc3

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
still can’t get over those tron bonne nerfs...

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

skipmyseashells posted:

still can’t get over those tron bonne nerfs...

Phoenix got nerfed in the last balance patch

Phoenix Wright that is

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Seth Killian had secret Jill tech that had to be stopped, who knows what chaos would happen if she hadn't been preemptively nerfed.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A hypothetical UMvC3 without Vergil and Dark Phoenix would be a pretty sweet game.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Kitfox88 posted:

SF4 is solid but 5 is a train wreck get these plastic play dough dummies out of my face!!

I have tried 5 or 6 times to sit down for a few days to learn/try to like sf5 since release but it’s just the worst game ever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I never played SF5 but it's bad because Makoto isn't in it that's it that's my take.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm glad sf5 sucked at launch, made me play other games and I'm still hopeful that sf6 could be good.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Elvis_Maximus posted:

A hypothetical UMvC3 without Vergil and Zero would be a pretty sweet game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

oh dang you're right, Vergil, Zero and Phoenix getting removed would be perfect

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
SFV simultaneously has Laura, my favourite character ever in a 2D fighting game and also the most dogshit online and general player experience ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

tangentially related, axl's sprite in the original GG is wack as hell lol. the whole game looks weird, you should look up footage, but axl is a completely different dude.

also, this
https://twitter.com/noselfawareness/status/1349832670176571403

and you can add CvS2 and MvC2 to that list :D