Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Sent a DM.

I recently had my new job fall through because all the training shifts I ended up scheduled for were before bus service starts and connects me and the workplace. I pay rent on the 15th, as that's when I moved in, and my phone bill is due the 17th and I'm 80 dollars short of being able to pay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hi friends,

As someone who just went through a year of unemployment I'd like to offer some help to those who may need it. This would only be for US based goons, sorry international people.

I moderate the IYG subforum here and we have several threads that could potentially help you cut down on your monthly cellphone costs. We have a prepaid thread too and many people very knowledgeable in these areas.

There may also be ways to save through the Emergency Broadband Benefit program located here. I was with Safelink Wireless which gave me free service for most of my time unemployed and knocked a good chunk of my internet bill down too. You may also be able to score a cheap, if not free smartphone. There is also a program within that can pay a good chunk for cheap laptops.

Please reach out to me or stop by any of the IYG threads and we would be happy to help out.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

cage-free egghead posted:

Hi friends,

As someone who just went through a year of unemployment I'd like to offer some help to those who may need it. This would only be for US based goons, sorry international people.

I moderate the IYG subforum here and we have several threads that could potentially help you cut down on your monthly cellphone costs. We have a prepaid thread too and many people very knowledgeable in these areas.

There may also be ways to save through the Emergency Broadband Benefit program located here. I was with Safelink Wireless which gave me free service for most of my time unemployed and knocked a good chunk of my internet bill down too. You may also be able to score a cheap, if not free smartphone. There is also a program within that can pay a good chunk for cheap laptops.

Please reach out to me or stop by any of the IYG threads and we would be happy to help out.

:yeshaha:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just bought goon.fund

stand by for a new email address, i think my old hosting litterally just disapeared

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Is the Patreon still active?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Yes, it's where the money comes from

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

yeah

https://www.patreon.com/goonfood

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well that was a pain in the rear end

new email: request@goon.fund

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't need goonbucks but do need information.
My neighbor is a friend of mine. His wife wasn't covered under his old health insurance, since that would have been over a third of his take home pay.

I got him a job at my company. We have good insurance where his whole family is covered for about $150 a paycheck.

About a month before he's been here long enough for insurance to kick in, his wife's been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

They're shopping for life insurance since he'll have to pay for years of daycare if she dies, and her family us too worthless to help out. His family is non existent, he was orphaned himself and raised in a state home. Almost anything will help, I don't think they could even afford a funeral.

Anyway, woman, 37 yrs old. Has had cancer cut out from bowl, cancer has spread to lymph nodes but she doesn't start chemo until December. Where can such a person get life insurance? Are there any obvious bad choices like term life? Is there a better thread to get answers?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I had forgot about this. Just signed up for the patreon.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Is there a better thread to get answers?

Term life is insurance, whole life is an investment.

there is an insurance thread in BFC.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sent an e-mail, posting for posterity, just need some cash to make groceries happen for the end of the month.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sent an email. Car accidents are no fuckin joke.

Y'all do good work in here.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

My neighbor is a friend of mine. His wife wasn't covered under his old health insurance, since that would have been over a third of his take home pay.

I got him a job at my company. We have good insurance where his whole family is covered for about $150 a paycheck.

About a month before he's been here long enough for insurance to kick in, his wife's been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

They're shopping for life insurance since he'll have to pay for years of daycare if she dies, and her family us too worthless to help out. His family is non existent, he was orphaned himself and raised in a state home. Almost anything will help, I don't think they could even afford a funeral.

Anyway, woman, 37 yrs old. Has had cancer cut out from bowl, cancer has spread to lymph nodes but she doesn't start chemo until December. Where can such a person get life insurance? Are there any obvious bad choices like term life? Is there a better thread to get answers?

unless you get it through work life insurance usually requires a physical and no one is going to give her coverage.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

great, will re-up my patronage

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

well that was a pain in the rear end

new email: request@goon.fund

Emailed Plinkey to help cover an overdraft until payday.

Might want to update the OP with the new email. Thank you so much for keeping this fund running.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I'm so sad right now but trying to get myself better. I was lied to again and yay number debt go up up up. I am still playing In my church band but I'm just so stressed out and unhappy, still waiting to maybe get social security benefits back, can't get unemployment back cause Texas sucks, and getting a regular job isn't working out. Still living in a homeless shelter. I just want to stand on my own again but it's just so hard for me. I just pray for real help and not lies and empty promises.

God bless you all and happy Thanksgiving.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I do not currently need goonbucks and a lot of the credit for that goes to prior goonbucks- these past few years, I've have been able to start getting medical treatment for a chronic issue for the first time since 2009. That woulda been a hell of a lot more slow and difficult without a lil help keeping my utilities and rent etc paid

ty all of you for your collective role in my recovery 💙

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
IS THERE SO MUCH HATE FOR THE ONES WE LOVE

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

i want a pizza and have asked via the channels and whether or not i get it i'll chip in a little on patreon cos well

theres some serious issues here getting serious assistance. im just broke and hungry. theres real crises happening that this helps and that is Good.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ol sakkman posted:

i want a pizza and have asked via the channels and whether or not i get it i'll chip in a little on patreon cos well

theres some serious issues here getting serious assistance. im just broke and hungry. theres real crises happening that this helps and that is Good.

i got back to you

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when you send a request either you paypal.me (prefered) or your venmo address

if you dont send that I can't do anything

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut Butler posted:

I do not currently need goonbucks and a lot of the credit for that goes to prior goonbucks- these past few years, I've have been able to start getting medical treatment for a chronic issue for the first time since 2009. That woulda been a hell of a lot more slow and difficult without a lil help keeping my utilities and rent etc paid

ty all of you for your collective role in my recovery 💙

i just read this entire thread from start (2019) to now, and it was a wild ride (not even including the old gofundme thread)
everyone that donates, thank you so much, this would not happen without you

if it seems like I'm a bit checked out of this thread (those that PM'd me know I respond, but I wont post here) I am, but it's incredibly fulfilling, and draining, just having the ability because of all of you give a few bucks a month for someone that you don't know, nor do I, that might need 65 bucks for food, and food for their cats and/or dog within a few hours, which is something you can't get anywhere else.

Thanks goons, we just passed two years of this, the worst (best?) possible two years it could have been started in.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Getting insurance through work is going to be his best bet, unfortunately. I know from experience that a lot of doors slam in your face when you have cancer at any stage, but especially advanced cancer like that. Especially because her five year survival rate percentage tanks the further away the metastatic cancer forms, ie the lymph nodes. But also from experience, lymph nodes can be yanked out. Just make sure he doesn't get duped by AFLAC, they'll do anything not to pay up.

37 is way too young to have to be going through this and making end of life plans, so my heart goes out to this family. I would do some serious questioning about life insurance through work and see how many X times ZSalary they can purchase before they need a medical check up. At my job, you can get up to 3x your salary before needing a physical. It's not the best but every little thing helps, especially when cancer has gone metastatic like that.

Goddamn. :smith: If Plinkey is alright with it, keep us updated with how it goes. There's a cancer megathread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529607 that might be able to help out more. AND! There's an Ask Me About Insurance thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763

Good luck to them. I hope these help a bit.

edit: I just saw the part about not being able to afford a funeral. This is the one part I CAN help with, as a mortician. Depending on what State > County > City they're in, they can get assistance from the local government for, well unfortunately for an indigent funeral, but some places are no longer heartless and will return the cremated remains back to the family. DO NOT BUY AN URN THROUGH THE FUNERAL HOME. Get that poo poo on Amazon for the same price that a funeral home pays wholesale and then marks up a ridiculous amount. Make sure that the family researches well in advance about indigent services before using them, though. In the city I live in, indigent bodies are cremated and dumped in a catch all ossuary, the family never receives anything other than a promise they were taken care of. However, I used to work as a mortician in a city about oh 30-40 minutes north and they gave the ashes back in a temporary urn. The family only had to pay for death certificates. You can also ask major hospitals in your area to help, they'll assign you a caseworker and will try to find a funeral home that will either mark down the cost of a cremation, allow payments, or go the indigent route.

Let's hope it doesn't come to any of that. I'm rooting for her to pull through mother fucker.

50s girl groupon has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Nov 29, 2021

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
I've had a chance to speak with Plinkey about this before posting this as this is the first time (I think) I've had to post in this thread: A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with colon cancer; he's 28 and it's very aggressive. During last week he was scheduled to have a portion of the upper colon removed, but when they surgery was performed they discovered it had spread along the exterior of the colon and his liver, making it inoperable and meaning he'll have to hope it's responsive to Chemo, which he'll be starting shortly. Needless to say since this began for him in October, he's found himself having to pay larger and larger bills.

He's not a goon, but he's not a bad guy, and anyone who's under 30 getting cancer is loving terrifying. His job's insurance and disability will only carry him so far, he's been basically in the hospital all but a few weeks since October (they discovered the tumor when it was large enough to completely obstruct his intestines and resulted in a rupture and internal bleeding), and without a spouse or a steady job he's going to be under serious financial troubles whenever his lovely job figures out a way to end coverage (and even then, he's still had to pay a lot in copays and coinsurance). After a week of going back and forth we convinced him to start a gofundme, because this country is loving horrible and our health coverage is a nightmare. The problem is, I've nuked the vast majority of my social media, so while I can donate to the gofundme (and have), I can't spread it very far, and he's a bit of recluse so he doesn't really have much either, and most of our friends are in the same place. I want to get the link out there (https://gofund.me/cb39a3a3). He's been in a rough place and since it went up yesterday only two people have donated. He sat on talking about how serious this was for weeks so until a few more weeks go by I won't be able to do much more than what I already have.

Largely the expenses he's looking for is to make sure that his rent gets paid and the other items he might need during chemo can be covered. If anyone could donate (or have a method to signal boost it), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy holidays, goons.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

50s girl groupon posted:

edit: I just saw the part about not being able to afford a funeral. This is the one part I CAN help with, as a mortician
Unrelated but do you have an A/T thread about this?

Sent an email for help. Money is extremely tight right now and I could use whatever the Goon Fund can spare.

vortmax has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Nov 30, 2021

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

vortmax posted:

Unrelated but do you have an A/T thread about this?

No only because I know there has to be mortician goons who could do a better job than I could/probably already have.

However I will happily lend my knowledge and poo poo in this thread with regards to not getting hosed over by funeral homes, how to apply for FEMA aid for covid related deaths, and anything else I can help with mortuary related to help goons save some dollars if god forbid someone passes. It’s like the least I can do, this thread has done so much for me already.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
emailed a request because my life is a shambles :|

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hi I'm not gonna request from goonfund but if anyone else is watching:

https://gofund.me/29a2720c

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ram dass in hell posted:

emailed a request because my life is a shambles :|

to what email?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Plinkey posted:

to what email?

request@goon.fund, you already got back to me tyvm

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Sent to the new email address. I hate having to ask for money anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas although I know that here I'm (probably) not denying anyone a meal by asking.

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
dont feel bad about asking during the holidays please

goons need to eat and stay warm

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bleeding kansas posted:

dont feel bad about asking during the holidays please

goons need to eat and stay warm

never feel bad about getting help when needed, we've all sacrificed food or something else to make a holiday happen for loved ones or kids or w/e, if you're in that position, get your groceries squared with help from goonz

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

omg I am literally sobbing at work because I just checked the GFM

I love all of you wonderful horrible goons

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you don't own your paypal or venmo account, i'm sorry, I can't do that

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Email sent. Trying to make the math work and the children WON'T STOP EATING.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm not putting in for the goonfund again because my last ask was just too recent for me to feel comfortable doing so again, and my needs are a little beyond that scope; I might feel differently if I was only coming up a hundo or less short, but right now that's something I'd rather leave for others who need it.

What I am gonna do is link my gofundme; long story short I'm getting seriously landlorded (mysteriously, the pest problem they're booting us over dried up completely once they finally fixed all the loving holes in the walls late last week) and need to fund a move several months ahead of when I was planning to do so, while I'm on a brief but desperately needed stress leave. The full story's on the gofundme, but here it is. If anyone can help, be it with actual cash, passing it along, or even just well-wishing, I'd seriously appreciate it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Funds dispersed, plea heard, the system works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
This helps out so much, I love you goons