Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

With all these nice VR mods (RoR2, Outer Wilds, RE2, etc), I wonder if someone could make a VR mod for Forza Horizon 5. drat MS for barely supporting VR!
Perfect 3D engine for it too, forward renderer so MSAA and resolution can be cranked. It'd look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally got a Reverb 2.1 in the mail. First ever VR experience has been pretty great. The Blade and Sorcery sandbox game is a loving riot.

The screen seems a bit fuzzy? I have perfect eyesight so it's a bit concerning. I tried messing with the slider but it only seems to further limit the FOV.

In any case, no motion sickness and my very skinny office is going to make some stuff very difficult.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

With all these nice VR mods (RoR2, Outer Wilds, RE2, etc), I wonder if someone could make a VR mod for Forza Horizon 5. drat MS for barely supporting VR!

Excuse me, what?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

RoboJoe posted:

Thank you for the responses everyone, it's much appreciated and helps guide me in what I want to do, especially with the wireless part and having the free software as part of it now. I suppose I could just try my headphones but if they are uncomfortable or I can't quite get them to fit then just using some earpods of some kind is the best way to go. It sounds like I definitely want a better strap than what comes with it too.

The one thing I'm still unsure about is protecting the lenses and whether I should get some kind of extra protective thing such as I linked in my previous post, or if the Glasses Spacer that comes with the Quest 2 will be good enough. I did have a look on the VRoptician site mentioned by a couple of you, but I'd be looking at £140 or so (and then extra for whatever dumb charges come due to brexit for importing from the EU) for a pair of lenses which might be worth it but it's still quite a lot. Maybe I could consider those for the future though and just protect the default lenses as best I can.

I would recommend a plastic or rubber lens protector if you don't go with VR Optican or other lenses. I had some cheap 3d printed ones for my Index that worked great, but it was long enough ago that it was through regrEtsy. It's just a ring around the lens, so still quite possible to scratch the lenses, but you'd have to really try.

Edit: I know I post this every month, but how the hell do we not have a permanent toggle on Airlink yet? I swear I forget every time

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Definitely consider getting prescription lenses, they're much much better than using glasses with the headset. The glasses spacer worked fine when I used glasses with my quest 2, but the replacement vrcover facial interface I have doesn't work with the glasses spacer and I was irritated by the original facial interface.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Leal posted:

Excuse me, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMOWTE9Gpo

When I got my headset, one of the first things I tried was RE2 with vorpX. So I'm psyched about this. Modders adding good VR to great games is a trend I can get behind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone here do holofit? I’ve been looking at getting a rowing machine since that was my favorite piece of equipment back in the before times when I could go to the gym. I found out while researching that holofit can connect to some rowing machines, or use head sway to detect your cadence on machines that don’t have connectivity.

Is it worth going for a machine that can do holofit, or is it more of a gimmick?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMOWTE9Gpo

When I got my headset, one of the first things I tried was RE2 with vorpX. So I'm psyched about this. Modders adding good VR to great games is a trend I can get behind.

Holy poo poo this owns.

Unrelated:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

RoboJoe posted:

The one thing I'm still unsure about is protecting the lenses and whether I should get some kind of extra protective thing such as I linked in my previous post, or if the Glasses Spacer that comes with the Quest 2 will be good enough. I did have a look on the VRoptician site mentioned by a couple of you, but I'd be looking at £140 or so (and then extra for whatever dumb charges come due to brexit for importing from the EU) for a pair of lenses which might be worth it but it's still quite a lot. Maybe I could consider those for the future though and just protect the default lenses as best I can.

Definitely thirding or whatever it's at now that you get something besides the glasses spacer. I used the glasses spacer when I first got my quest and it completely failed at doing its job, lenses got scratched up from my glasses. I had to do the whole polywatch thing and, luckily, in my case it worked perfectly, it's not something I would want to rely on. As far as I know there's no easy way to replace the lenses once they're damaged.

I don't have the VR Optician lenses, because shipping them to my country would have been nuts. I found some guy who just 3d prints basically the same thing and got those, it was very cheap and it's worked very well.

I guess in your case it's the lenses themselves that are expensive, because of your prescription. I'm sure someone in here is from your country and can probably help you figure out who 3d prints the little plastic bit for them, and what your cheapest options are for lenses. If you were in China I know exactly where you could go to get the whole thing for maybe 20 bux but, lol.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone here do holofit? I’ve been looking at getting a rowing machine since that was my favorite piece of equipment back in the before times when I could go to the gym. I found out while researching that holofit can connect to some rowing machines, or use head sway to detect your cadence on machines that don’t have connectivity.

Is it worth going for a machine that can do holofit, or is it more of a gimmick?

It's a gimmick... the marketing is a million times slicker than the software itself

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bondematt posted:

2/4) DAS Frankenquest is the best headstrap. Elite strap breaks in 6 months, original strap is not great.

Do you have a good link to get one of those, if possible?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

DelphiAegis posted:

Do you have a good link to get one of those, if possible?

Amazon HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2GDXMC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TPP7WNANQX1ETNW6BGZP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Look at Etsy for adapters. I got this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/704470746/frankenquest-das-adapter-made-for-oculus?ref=yr_purchases

Cheaper to print yourself if you are a 3D printer of course

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh my god, Outer Wilds freaks me out in flat mode. I think if I played it in VR it'd give me a breakdown

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Motherfuck setting up the Reverb 2 was a pain in the dick.

It was all fine but now it keep losing connection for no good reason.

Blade and Sorcery crashes after the camera locks up and then everything shits the bed.

VR Chat works sorta but I think the problem lies with Windows VR platform. It keeps saying it can't detect my borders but I'm in the dead center!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think it might have to do with your USB connection, it's quite power- and data- hungry.

I haven't had any issues since I swapped to a new high-end mobo, but I did have some trouble before,

Some people recommend using a dedicated USB PCIE card, but even that might not help depending.

e: if it's a refurb it's possible there's a bad connection somewhere internally as well

e2: to be clear I've literally not had the connection drop out once in the last ~200 hours no matter what I run, there's something wrong

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Private Speech posted:

e2: to be clear I've literally not had the connection drop out once in the last ~200 hours no matter what I run, there's something wrong

Truth. Something is up there. Its one thing to have some tracking wackiness its another to have full on failure of playspaces.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If you have a B550 or X570 board, make sure to turn off PCIe 4.0, or update your BIOS if yours has the fix.

Otherwise USB will just drop connection randomly.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oh man I just completed Outer Wilds and now I find out there is a VR mod for it? drat

Although it gave me enough existential horror even in 2D so VR probably wouldn't have been a super great idea

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Got GingasVR for FO4VR off wabbajack, slotted in a few tweaks of my own and I'm having an amazing time with my Quest2.

Not having played FO4 for years, VR has renewed my love for the game and boy is FO4VR perfect for VR. . I tried FO4VR at launch and jfc, it was just so very bad like every Bugthesda game, but x1000. These mods are so good.

The setup was daunting for sure, took me a week to build up the courage to set it up. The process was actually very easy.

Someday I'll go back and play with SkyrimVR. First time I dabbled in that was on a DK1 with some super early vr mods.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm going to recommend not using your 770s and either buying some ear buds like the ones the same company makes, (https://amzn.to/3qCIXbi I have a pair, they are pretty nice) or get the VR ears things or something. You will destroy the pads on those and you'll be ripping em off cleaning em non stop. Swapping to leather things that are cheap for em will gently caress up the sound profile so skip that too.

I've consistently used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X for all my VRing over the last couple years and those fit fine over both the halo strap on psvr and over my current Quest 1. The only damage they've suffered so far is that the little bit of velcro strapping on the top part of the default quest 1 strap has rubbed gently on the underside of the headstrap of the headphones, rubbing the nice plasticy rubber coating and revealing the padding underneath, which is upsetting.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Alctel posted:

Oh man I just completed Outer Wilds and now I find out there is a VR mod for it? drat

Although it gave me enough existential horror even in 2D so VR probably wouldn't have been a super great idea

It's pretty amazing mod with full tracking and controls, but it's also a serious motion sickness hazard.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Bondematt posted:

I would recommend a plastic or rubber lens protector if you don't go with VR Optican or other lenses. I had some cheap 3d printed ones for my Index that worked great, but it was long enough ago that it was through regrEtsy. It's just a ring around the lens, so still quite possible to scratch the lenses, but you'd have to really try.

Edit: I know I post this every month, but how the hell do we not have a permanent toggle on Airlink yet? I swear I forget every time

BrainDance posted:

Definitely thirding or whatever it's at now that you get something besides the glasses spacer. I used the glasses spacer when I first got my quest and it completely failed at doing its job, lenses got scratched up from my glasses. I had to do the whole polywatch thing and, luckily, in my case it worked perfectly, it's not something I would want to rely on. As far as I know there's no easy way to replace the lenses once they're damaged.

I don't have the VR Optician lenses, because shipping them to my country would have been nuts. I found some guy who just 3d prints basically the same thing and got those, it was very cheap and it's worked very well.

I guess in your case it's the lenses themselves that are expensive, because of your prescription. I'm sure someone in here is from your country and can probably help you figure out who 3d prints the little plastic bit for them, and what your cheapest options are for lenses. If you were in China I know exactly where you could go to get the whole thing for maybe 20 bux but, lol.

Thank you both! I'll definitely buy a protector for the lenses, I found couple of options to decide between on amazon and etsy so I'll have a think which might be best. I appreciate all the help from everyone else who responded too; I'm definitely going to get myself a Quest 2 soon!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unity things

I should use this to unfuck my avatar's animations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LJjBnhayIg
I think it's will cost $3.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lord Bob posted:

I've consistently used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X for all my VRing over the last couple years and those fit fine over both the halo strap on psvr and over my current Quest 1. The only damage they've suffered so far is that the little bit of velcro strapping on the top part of the default quest 1 strap has rubbed gently on the underside of the headstrap of the headphones, rubbing the nice plasticy rubber coating and revealing the padding underneath, which is upsetting.

Those have leather pads. 990/770s do not. And the replacement ones that are leather gently caress up the sound profile so bad its not worth it.

So those are easier to clean technically. But I promise they are still gross unless you just dont sweat. I have a few thousand hours (We're over 10k hours in vr these days) in over ear headphones and not a single pair isn't funky.

Its also hotter than earbuds and similar.

Look I used to be all bout that over ear life. I have 8 wireless headsets ranging from cheap poo poo to nice poo poo. I straight up use earbuds over any other solution anymore (not counting DAS/INDEX). I just don't rec em for anyone going to actually VR and not just be casual carol.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Any opinions on https://www.vr-wave.store/ for Rx lens inserts? My wife and I both would want them, and then magnetic connection point seems like an easy way to swap.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/meta-quest-2-10-million-oculus

It could include devices already manufactured (for Christmas) but still not sold.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Private Speech posted:

It's pretty amazing mod with full tracking and controls, but it's also a serious motion sickness hazard.

Yeah I can only imagine. Brittle Hollow 🤮🤮

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turin Turambar posted:

https://uploadvr.com/meta-quest-2-10-million-oculus

It could include devices already manufactured (for Christmas) but still not sold.

As much as the Vita, not bad for a couple of years.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Warbird posted:

As much as the Vita, not bad for a couple of years.

1 year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Alctel posted:

Yeah I can only imagine. Brittle Hollow 🤮🤮

I've only played it in VR. Going inside Brittle Hallow for the first time, then shortly later falling in, is a top tier video game memory for me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
PS5 just hit 10m back in…July?

Obviously I’m ignoring Sony’s massive supply problems but wow 10m Quest 2s is pretty nuts. Isn’t that more than every single previous HMD combined?

Edit: Linked article says PSVR is at 5m as of 2019 so assuming they picked up another 1-2m over the pandemic plus the 2m original Quests and the assorted PCVR headsets probably adding up to another couple million, it’s not there yet but it’s drat close.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 16, 2021

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I finally got around to playing Paper Beast that I got in the humble bundle. I thought it would be a boring artsy fartsy game, but it was really outstanding and trippy. The art style, the score, the design of the animals are great.
The game not having narration, UI, or menus to deepen immersion works really well in VR. Had my headset on for 4 hours and finished it in one go. Though I think it's worth it even at the full $20.

Next game i'm interested in is Stormlands. It looks like a quality console game, but it's got a fair bit of criticism, and it's pricey. I know I can just play it for 2 hours and get a refund, but I hear it takes 3 hours just to go through all the tutorial stuff. Anyone here play it enough to give an opinion?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I saw someone mentioning using Airpods with a Quest 2 through bluetooth, I tried my galaxy buds last night and there was maybe 1-2 full seconds of delay, way way worse than the delay I get using them on my PC. Is this common? I know bluetooth will always have some lag when trying to sync up with a game and bluetooth in general is still a beta feature technically on Quest but it's kind of a bummer just how bad it is.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

I finally got around to playing Paper Beast that I got in the humble bundle. I thought it would be a boring artsy fartsy game, but it was really outstanding and trippy. The art style, the score, the design of the animals are great.

Huh. I should really get around to trying it again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

Next game i'm interested in is Stormlands. It looks like a quality console game, but it's got a fair bit of criticism, and it's pricey. I know I can just play it for 2 hours and get a refund, but I hear it takes 3 hours just to go through all the tutorial stuff. Anyone here play it enough to give an opinion?

Stormland is hands down the best VR shooter. The only real issue with it is that it's really demanding on your hardware.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

explosivo posted:

I think I saw someone mentioning using Airpods with a Quest 2 through bluetooth, I tried my galaxy buds last night and there was maybe 1-2 full seconds of delay, way way worse than the delay I get using them on my PC. Is this common? I know bluetooth will always have some lag when trying to sync up with a game and bluetooth in general is still a beta feature technically on Quest but it's kind of a bummer just how bad it is.

Very common, bluetooth headphones for the headset is experimental only. Some headset apps have built-in audio delay settings though!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://tech.fb.com/inside-reality-labs-meet-the-team-thats-bringing-touch-to-the-digital-world/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Very common, bluetooth headphones for the headset is experimental only. Some headset apps have built-in audio delay settings though!

Dang, okay, I thought that might be the case. Thank you for confirming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leathal posted:

PS5 just hit 10m back in…July?

Obviously I’m ignoring Sony’s massive supply problems but wow 10m Quest 2s is pretty nuts. Isn’t that more than every single previous HMD combined?

Yeah quest 2 sales are just absolutely incredible for how old the product category is and how long it's been on the market

Given how much money Facebook can pour into VR to build an economic moat of optics and screen technology, it's no surprise they're attempting to rebrand the company around it. Would not surprise me in the least if Facebook has been bankrolling the VR specific features in some of the more exotic offerings from Qualcomm

Short term zuck is lighting dollar bills on fire, but one of the advantages of a 51% owner + founding CEO is you have the power to introduce and develop these kind of loss leader, decade long plays, rather than just looking at the next three quarters