Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone else experiencing a bug where weapon attachments don't unlock in your collection screen until after you restart the game? Most annoying thing I've encountered so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I havent but the attachment equip screen is so poorly communicated that I have frequently thought I wasn't unlocking stuff. Like, the stuff you have equipped just disappears from the equip menu. Is that it maybe?

This game honestly has the worst UI design of any game I have ever played in my entire life top to bottom lol. It's just layers upon layers of bad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Does the Apache's first rocket type lock on to ground vehicles? Thought it was blind fire, but then it will say it's locked on l. Haven't had a chance to see if future rockets track targets I've locked on to.

The smart rockets aka the rockets you just farm some bots in breakthrough until you get the at rockets only lock if they were close to hitting your target but juuuuust miss.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
If you're on console, turn off crossplay. I was not having too much fun as I was losing nearly every gunfight, but playing against other consoles early made things feel a tiny bit fairer.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The wildcat is fun on the flat but somehow it can’t climb hills, this make it very frustrating to play on some maps like the one with the rocket launch pad.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Game is OK. The end of round quips are so dumb. Just have the top squad featured like they did top players in Battlefront 2 and have a pose you can choose. Mostly been playing Portal.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://mobile.twitter.com/BattlefieldComm/status/1460552503368589313

I'm actually impressed they fixed this with just a server patch.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BattlefieldComm/status/1460552503368589313

I'm actually impressed they fixed this with just a server patch.

I wonder what this fix will break.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've already been meleed by a dozer shield *through* an ally dozer's shield so something still isn't right.

The dozer shield fights at the top of the elevator on Hourglass are pretty funny to watch though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Pontificating rear end posted:

It's worth noting the performance issues in this game are NOT your video card: if you turn on FPS you can see your GPU is pumping out frames but the CPU gets wrecked in 128 player matches. If you play a smaller match you'll get closer to full frames. Dont turn down your video settings because it likely wont matter.

If I read the system monitor right, BF2042 uses 10 native/physical CPU cores on my system.
So 4 and 6 core CPUs are heavily bottlenecking, and maybe 8 cores without HT might get hiccups.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Mr.PayDay posted:

If I read the system monitor right, BF2042 uses 10 native/physical CPU cores on my system.
So 4 and 6 core CPUs are heavily bottlenecking, and maybe 8 cores without HT might get hiccups.

That tracks, because my performance seems much better than others who also have a 3080. I have a Ryzen 5900X. That's 12-cores, 24-threads, with a healthy L3 cache. Also have 32GB of 3600MHz RAM which is supposedly the sweetspot for this CPU.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

veni veni veni posted:

BF is never that great alone, but I have been playing with pubs a decent amount just cause it's new and 2042 is like, next level awful alone to the point where I just feel like I loving hate the game. But the second I get someone I'm chatting with I'm like "nah this is pretty fun" and with a full squad it's tits.

Maybe that feels dumb to say because it's like "duh" but I feel like 2042 is this special breed of awful without anyone to fall back on. I could always screw around in BF and have some degree of fun even if I was just messing around by myself, but outside of grabbing a tank and potshotting poo poo, or trying to run people over with a hovercraft, pubbie play is sheer misery. Especially as infantry. I have never wanted to always be in a vehicle so much. Not only is there someone watching every single angle imaginable at all times, but every bit of cover is made of paper and 70% of every map is just big open stretches. it's just this constant stream of dying out of nowhere and hoping to take someone with you. You can't even get around quickly unless you can snag a vehicle. where the gently caress are the ATVs and other garbage vehicles to just roll around in? They were prominently featured in the marketing and they aren't even in the game wtf.

I think I have played enough now that I am just not going to bother unless someone else wants to play. It seems 100% essential to having fun in 2042

Agree 100%. I tried playing a bit by myself during the day and it was zero fun. Like four kills during a round and just spawning and dying immediately over and over. You're basically punished for being round filler.

Loaded up with a squad in the evening and went on protracted hovercraft runs and it was transcendent. Just splattering dudes, dueling enemy hovercraft, grabbing conquest points, the works. I had something absurd like 50 assists. Obviously any MP game is more fun with a squad, but for people like me who are now below average at regular gunplay, a proper squad is the only thing that is going to keep you in that vehicle.

I do think most of the other stuff like the way progression works and all that is dogshit, but I know from playing Warzone for a while that I never make it to the meta poo poo in seasons anyway, so it's more about having fun with stock stuff.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There are like no portal servers with good ping. Im in Europe... Zero servers doing what I want (BF2042 maps but with just slightly less players). It sucks

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
My memory is maybe off but was there always such a big delay between mouse movement and crosshair movement in a tank? I feel like there was some of it in BFV but I don't remember it being this extreme.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

D-Pad posted:

I call this dev syndrome. When the devs are making a game like this they are not playing the same game. When they play they have an entire team playing the "correct" way and all coordinating to boot. No 10 wookies hanging back sniping, teammates always revive and throw ammo etc.

Imagine that scenario but your whole team is coordinating so you can all assault via heli, VTOL, wings it, and elevators at the same time. That sounds loving rad as hell and probably what happens when they play among themselves.

Playing with pubbies is a fundamentally different experience. You can tell a lot of design decisions were made because of this dynamic when you start looking.

Haha that reminds me back in the day of Tribes where the Penny Arcade dudes hated the hell out of skiing and thought it ruined the game while everyone else realized quickly how much of a loving slog it was to have to run everywhere. It made the game so much better.

Murvin posted:

Holy poo poo prox sensors are so good and rack up points like crazy and I suggest everyone roll with those if you care about that.

They are outstanding. Wonder how much they're gonna get nerfed along with the PP.

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone else experiencing a bug where weapon attachments don't unlock in your collection screen until after you restart the game? Most annoying thing I've encountered so far.

Not since I quit back to Exodus as soon as the point total bar fills up.

There is fun gameplay here, but it needs polish. The UI and weapon attachment stuff needs a big overhaul, though.

There should be more than 8 or whatever loadouts you can save, they should be listed vertically and easily scrolled. They need to be able to be copied.

Weapon attachment sets should have their own 'loadouts' as well, so one loadout I can have a gun configured for long range and another configuration of that gun for short range. I know this can be set with the T menu, but sometimes I don't want the same attachments in the same slots by default or I might go with a different setup altogether.

The reason the SMG's are overpowered is that, despite how loving big the maps are, for all practical purposes: most gunfights are taking place at a relatively short range. At longer ranges it takes a while for a bullet to get somewhere and with how people can strafe so easily without losing accuracy- it's not worth it unless you have a sniper or dmr. I dunno. Maybe make AR bullets a lot faster or something than the SMG.

Also:
This game could really use a way to link squads or get multiple squads together in a match.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I downloaded the game Saturday onto my PS4. Bought the gold so I don't have to buy another copy when I get a PS5 but I haven't found one yet so who knows when that's going to be.

I still like BF1 better. Missing the cha-ching sound of a headshot and knowing how far away they were, missing the scoreboard, missing the overall sound and the feel. The graphics on this game don't look great but that might be because I'm still on PS4. But this feels better than BFV did for some reason. I like that I can switch scopes on a whim in the field.

Here have a video of my pet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHxpMiWOFlc

edit:

Also I love that the sentry gun highlights people for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_s2RbW_ng

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 16, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

pocket pool posted:

My memory is maybe off but was there always such a big delay between mouse movement and crosshair movement in a tank? I feel like there was some of it in BFV but I don't remember it being this extreme.

BFV introduced turret rotation speed and I guess it's staying.

Doctor Butts posted:

The reason the SMG's are overpowered is that, despite how loving big the maps are, for all practical purposes: most gunfights are taking place at a relatively short range. At longer ranges it takes a while for a bullet to get somewhere and with how people can strafe so easily without losing accuracy- it's not worth it unless you have a sniper or dmr. I dunno. Maybe make AR bullets a lot faster or something than the SMG.

This isn't how the game works. There is a tremendous accuracy penalty for strafing with an AR dmr and sniper. The reason everyone uses the pp is because the bullets go where you are shooting a trick that are have not managed.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 16, 2021

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are like no portal servers with good ping. Im in Europe... Zero servers doing what I want (BF2042 maps but with just slightly less players). It sucks

So start up a portal server. Be the change you wish to see in the world! Not surprised there are not many portal servers that are just the main mode with less people.

The Dozer fix without a patch is interesting. I wonder how much they can "hotfix" without waiting on patches. That's some cool potential as long as they don't go breaking more things along the way.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

I saw some speculation online somewhere that the PC port is broken and utilises only 8 Cores because the consoles only have 8 Cores and they failed to adjust it properly so some/all PCs can't properly use however many cores/threads the CPU has.

I have a ryzen 5 2600x with 6 physical cores = 12 threads and it struggles badly. Haven't checked how the individual cores/threads are used though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
New Nvidia drivers dropped. Not heard yet if they help with anything.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Sedisp posted:

Wasn't there a way to have a crosshair that moved with your mouse and then a secondary one that "caught up" as the turret rotated?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have a fine time playing by myself, but I do wonder if when they add comms if people will actually use them. I would but the community is significantly different than say squad or HLL and I don't think this has really been a thing with BF games. I could try coordinating on Dicord I guess, but I like hopping in and out of games.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

pocket pool posted:

Wasn't there a way to have a crosshair that moved with your mouse and then a secondary one that "caught up" as the turret rotated?

It does this in third person but seems to lock the camera to the turret in first person for me.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Sedisp posted:

The smart rockets aka the rockets you just farm some bots in breakthrough until you get the at rockets only lock if they were close to hitting your target but juuuuust miss.

this is genius im doing this immediately for everything

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The hovercraft :getin:

I'm sure it'll be nerfed soon, but right now the hovercraft is :discourse: good battlefield

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Vampire Panties posted:

The hovercraft :getin:

I'm sure it'll be nerfed soon, but right now the hovercraft is :discourse: good battlefield

Yep! I spent a good part of last night with a full squad in a hovercraft. Beer in one hand, mouse in the other shooting the grenade launcher. It definitely needs a nerf.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Sedisp posted:

good. needing to have a dpi toggle so you could whip the turret around in bf4 was annoying.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Godamn this dumb game is hilarious and fun. Squirrel suit + C4 = bye bye tanks

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think I can count in one hand the number of times I've seen someone throw an ammo box in this game outside of Portal.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So dumb question. If I have another account on my Xbox (my daughters) can I just cheat the trial timer by redownloading it? I think it's locked to the main account vs profile, but I wanted to be sure. I ran through the trial last night...and I really don't want to have to get the gold edition when I can just wait till Friday...but for reasons that's not easy. I don't even mind the lack of levels and xp transferring over.

Also I want more poo poo like the tornados and sandstorm. That rules so goddamn much. Hell make it an option for every map that's on portal even.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Godamn this dumb game is hilarious and fun. Squirrel suit + C4 = bye bye tanks

Can't wait for Neebs to start doing that. Squirrel stuff baby.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think I can count in one hand the number of times I've seen someone throw an ammo box in this game outside of Portal.

Part of the problem is the XP is so goddamn low. Like yeah if you get a ribbon, but just 5XP, I'd rather just spot with the drone.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think if you want to resupply people, you use Angel and throw them armor + supplies or drop a loadout crate. I see that quite a bit in breakthrough in particular. The loadout crate reapplies everything several times and is large and easy to see.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

the ones Angel drops are really small and flat, so it may be hard to see them

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I constantly spam that poo poo as Angel to get the little nibble of XP. Yet another instance where proper comms would help.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any breakdown of what XP you get for the various actions?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh I ran out of trial time, but it’s still working. Cool

Edit: Nevermind lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 16, 2021

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Grabbed the new Nvidia drivers, they are an improvement so far.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

is there any chance they can improve the performance of a CPU bottlenecked game post release ?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Technically? Of course.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Qmass posted:

is there any chance they can improve the performance of a CPU bottlenecked game post release ?

Well sure they can. The question is if they want to compromise on things that are causing the bottleneck. Which they probably won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is there any breakdown of what XP you get for the various actions?

"Part Disabled 10 XP"

OK BUT WHAT PART