Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched Finch last night. I remember reading about it when the script was originally called Bios and thought it was an interesting idea. It was decent - good acting from Hanks of course, and Caleb Landry Jones was good as well. I saw it described as a bit like Cast Away if Wilson was a robot (especially as Zemeckis was one of the producers) though I'd bet anything the writers had read Clifford Simak's classic book City as well. Basically, isn't the greatest movie ever made, but if you like Hanks, post-apocalyptic settings, robots, and/or dogs, then the movie is worth a watch.

Though now as I'm reading its Wiki entry, I guess it wasn't actually made by Apple+ but just bought by them. Also, it seems like a huge chunk was edited out of the end of the movie, and I'm really curious to see some of that. Which of course I know will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol, called it. Alex has the roni.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao @ the youngest staff member being the first person in the show to wear a face mask

e: I originally thought it was one of Mitch’s daughters oops

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 12, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah fuckin owned lmao

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kathryn Hahn is knocking it out of the park ... again ... in "The shrink next door".

And casting Paul Rudd against his usual type :discourse: (holy poo poo, the scumbaggery on display here)
So good, you almost forget that Will Ferrell is also killing it.

I am in the midst of watching ep 3 right now - "Is she holding a candle?" Oh my loving god, like a slow motion train wreck.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 12, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah fuckin owned lmao

So how many people was Alex close to? She cohosted with Laura (heart problem), and was in that meeting with Cory, Stella and Gob (forgot his name here), and had the meeting with Bradley in her dressing room. Not to mention the memorial. So that's out there.

Now that I think of it, it's just as likely that she picked it up in NYC than Italy. Her constant denial of it being a problem with whole companies were already going WFH at that point in the PNW is telling - these folks literally can't think of anything outside their bubble.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Invasion the "a county b county c county d county......" was honestly a really cool scene.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Invasion the "a county b county c county d county......" was honestly a really cool scene.

I don’t know New York State well enough but I want to look up and see if that was basically every county In the state, at least for the parts we could hear.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Crini posted:

I don’t know New York State well enough but I want to look up and see if that was basically every county In the state, at least for the parts we could hear.

Fairly sure that was the implication

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Invasion’s slow burn was annoying at first but I don’t think that episode could have worked any other way and it was actually pretty cool.

Will be interesting to see how the other arcs play out from here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Kathryn Hahn is knocking it out of the park ... again ... in "The shrink next door".

And casting Paul Rudd against his usual type :discourse: (holy poo poo, the scumbaggery on display here)

I am in the midst of watching ep 3 right now - "Is she holding a candle?" Oh my loving god, like a slow motion train wreck.

Really really liking this show so far. And yes fuckin Hahn is always so good in everything forever

Solkanar512 posted:

So how many people was Alex close to? She cohosted with Laura (heart problem), and was in that meeting with Cory, Stella and Gob (forgot his name here), and had the meeting with Bradley in her dressing room. Not to mention the memorial. So that's out there.

If Alex kills Laura, the best character in this season, I will be So Mad At Her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

If Alex kills Laura, the best character in this season, I will be So Mad At Her

I love that Laura exists entirely to show up the entirety of the the Morning Show presenters, particularly Alex. She's smart, confident, (mostly) professional, sets actual loving boundaries, and is an actual reporter for the actual news.

It should have been obvious that she and Bradley were a thang the moment she descended to basic cable morning news to deliver unto them her scorching hot chemistry.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bold move in foundation to just crib the opening sequence of an elder scrolls game :razz:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mcbexx posted:

I just went through those 3 episodes and holy hell. That's certainly not the sort of role Rudd tends to play but he's really good at doing the thing he does. I considered this a sort of dark comedy, but then, I just learned that it's based on a true story, which made me feel a bit uneasy for enjoying it so much.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Catching up with the thread and it's crazy how weekly v. binge-watching changes the Ted Lasso experience. I just did season 2 over a few days and I absolutely adored the bonus episodes and I'm pretty sure I'd feel the opposite if I'd been blue-balled on the plot continuing.

I agree with this. Waited for the entire season to be out and binged it. Perfect way to watch that show. Really.....I kind of feel like there will be no shows with on going storylines that I'll watch on a weekly basis anymore. So much better to be able to sit down and run through multiple episodes at a time.

Things like Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny in Philly I'll probably continue to watch weekly.....because I can toss in on demand whenever I have some downtime.....and they'll never leave me with some sort of cliffhanger that has me waiting for the next week.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think for me, and judging from the thread I'm not alone, but I didn't have a problem with Ted Lasso S2 having episodes ending on cliffhangers, but rather those cliffhangers were then ignored or offhandedly resolved in a line of dialogue a few episodes later.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I just started Ted Lasso and am half way through Season 2 and remembered the Holiday Episode was a big deal on the internet and then I was like oh this is fine and fun what's the big deal? and the complaint was that it was a filler episode and I am like, ok? Filler episodes can be fun and allow for other characters to get screen time?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The main problem people had with it was it made no sense airing a Christmas filler episode in the middle of summer.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Filler episodes are harder to deal with one a weekly release as well, rather than watching them on-demand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You were able to just start the next episode, people at the time had to wait another week for the continuation of the plot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cojawfee posted:

You were able to just start the next episode, people at the time had to wait another week for the continuation of the plot.

Not that most of the cliffhangers mattered in the season anyway. Of course, we didn't know that at the time.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to make that one idiot soldier one of the main leads in Invasion. He spends the first seven episodes bumbling around in the desert, threatening to kill random people, and getting his own allies killed by bumbling around in the desert threatening to kill random people.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Chip is the dumbest motherfucker in the world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“our prized feminist morning anchor was horny for Chester the Molestor” Succession did it first but still a good line

Also yeah I can’t imagine launching a streaming service right before a pandemic would be a good idea…..everyone stuck at home and needing to keep entertained and stuff…..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know ‘simp’ is a lovely right-wing word but has any term ever applied better to poor stupid Chip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This stupid loving show wants me to feel sorry for Alex again

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It was pretty weird that none of the executives could see an upside to launching a streaming service immediately as a pandemic hits.

Overall the second season of The Morning Show was pretty good. The first season is a genuinely great examination of the Me Too phenomenon from all sorts of angles, however it was also a very self-contained story, that really had no reason for continuation. But continue it did, and it basically turned the show into a continuing drama. Which is okay! But it’s lost almost all its focus. Jennifer Anniston is also making some loving big acting choices here. I can’t really say if they’re good or bad, but they are definitely being made.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like that finale was The Morning Show finally tipping its hand at being bone dry satire; Alex's narcissistic speech about the universe ending if she died while Chip nodded along enthusiasticly was utterly insane, not to mention the "news for people with too much time" or Mia's inability to have a single non-work related moment with the person she believes she's closest with in her life. Very sad place to leave the character, but gels with her being in denial for the entire season coupled with an utter refusal to pull up.

Comrade Fakename posted:

It was pretty weird that none of the executives could see an upside to launching a streaming service immediately as a pandemic hits.

I think the implication is that they don't have much, or any, content. Hence the whole Tom Hanks subplot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The streaming service reoccurring sub plot in Morning Show season 2 feels like someone in the writers room pointed out there are too many streaming services without enough content. Then someone else must have agreed and suggested they use that but never developed the idea more than the average person complaining about streaming services.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Spacebump posted:

there are too many streaming services without enough content.

Like Apple TV+?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just started Ted Lasso and am half way through Season 2 and remembered the Holiday Episode was a big deal on the internet and then I was like oh this is fine and fun what's the big deal? and the complaint was that it was a filler episode and I am like, ok? Filler episodes can be fun and allow for other characters to get screen time?
For me, it didn't have enough jokes or entertainment to spend that time not advancing our understanding of the characters or their development. I just got nothing out of it and wish they hadn't bothered. (and I'll even forgive the absolute cheesiness of the ending)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I've watched through the first 4 or so episodes of Invasion - it's a weird show. It's got this super high-budget, somewhat worthy portentiousness to it, and a stab at "realism", i.e. "this is really how it could go down if aliens invaded" tone. But then that is all undercut by some just bizarre contrivances or maybe outright mistakes. For instance, in the second episode we see the JASA woman on Shibuya crossing as the spaceship destruction is announced. This is presumably a short time after they realised it had happened, at the mission control. Also, we know that unlike with Houston and NASA, the mission control is right where they launched the rockets, as the lady visited the astronauts in their pod in the first episode. This means that in the world of Invasion, Japan is launching rockets within a quick commute of the centre of one of the world's biggest cities. Which is a very bad idea.

Also, what is going on with the UK kids? They are implied to go to a relatively not-posh school in London, which a bit weirdly has its own branded mini-buses. They go on what is presumably a school trip with only one teacher to an unstated location. Since they aren't leaving specially in the early morning or something, it's presumably not a long trip, an hour or two at most. Suddenly they go from the centre of London to a place so rural and remote that they're driving along a tiny road next to a giant hole in the countryside that has no barriers or warnings around it, and no way out if you fall in, of the type that there are a lot around within a hour or two's drive of London?! Inevitably they fall in the hole and do a rubbish version of Lord of the Flies, or perhaps more accurately The Simpsons' Das Bus.

I'm not one for nitpicking, and individually these things wouldn't matter so much. But they're piling up.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 11, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, what is going on with the UK kids? They are implied to go to a relatively not-posh school in London, which a bit weirdly has its own branded mini-buses. They go on what is presumably a school trip with only one teacher to an unstated location. Since they aren't leaving specially in the early morning or something, it's presumably not a long trip, an hour or two at most. Suddenly they go from the centre of London to a place so rural and remote that they're driving along a tiny road next to a giant hole in the countryside that has no barriers or warnings around it, and no way out if you fall in, of the type that there are a lot around within a hour or two's drive of London?! Inevitably they fall in the hole and do a rubbish version of Lord of the Flies, or perhaps more accurately The Simpsons' Das Bus.

I feel like this is classic Americans-writing-about-the-British nonsense; everywhere in the UK is either bucolic hillside* or London, and everyone is posh.

*or, you know, a quarry. They have to film Doctor Who somewhere.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
I can’t figure out the timeline of the show. The kids on the bus crash and spend a day or two in the hole (at least one night). Then some of them make their way back to London, which seems strangely empty. After only a day or two? Where did everyone go? That’s a lot of people to disappear, because I don’t remember there being tons of dead laying around.

I get that the show seems to be only letting us know what the characters in the show are experiencing, but a little more information would be nice.

And for a show that promotes Sam Neil as having a main role, where is he? Have we seen him since the first or second episode?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crini posted:

And for a show that promotes Sam Neil as having a main role, where is he? Have we seen him since the first or second episode?

I, uhhh, don't think he's coming back.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

I, uhhh, don't think he's coming back.

Probably my biggest pet peeve with the show honestly. I understand if you only wanted to pay him for the one episode but I thought they would at least pivot to “ACTUALLY this storyline is about his deputy!” rather than just dropping it altogether.

The show does move very slowly but I think the problem with that is less the pace and more the fact that it means you get to sit longer with the absolutely dogshit decisions some of the characters make. Moving a bit faster would make some of those plot contrivances less annoying imo. I think Mitsuki’s storyline is the only one that hasn’t had her do something egregiously stupid to create tension, but I’m only sitting at episode 4 so I guess there’s plenty of time for them to change that!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got the distinct impression that Sam Neil was only there to lure in viewers, and he probably got a nice payday to work a few days on a schlocky tv show.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s odd that two of the most watchable performances on Apple TV+ so far are Billy Crudup and Lee Pace, two men with very similar presentation.

Morning Show I think I get what they’re going for here: shallow, unreflective people create a deeply rooted abusive culture; what happens when it all starts falling apart? Does a good job of showing how harassment in entertainment is enabled by everyone involved. Fun to see Jennifer Aniston acting her heart out too.

Mythic Quest owns. So happy this is being renewed.

Foundation weird one. It’s very pretty but makes little sense and is thematically almost opposite to the source material.

Invasion gorgeous in places but sooooo slooooooowwwww. Lots of staring meaningfully into the distance. Frankly I’m with the aliens on this one, they are at least trying to move the plot forward.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just binged all of Ted Lasso in 4 days and These Are My Thoughts

The good:

- Loved the clowning on Harry Redknapp
- West Ham being the Big Bad for next season is hilarious
- Lineker making GBS threads on coach beard was also funny
- I also enjoyed the obscure va va voom reference from Henry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrShrLl38Qs
- I actually enjoyed the solo beard episode, it was weird and off-kilter and I've had a few nights like that, where you are pretty drunk and stuff doesn't really make any sense and weird stuff keeps happening and you are lost somewhere
- I like the game results, the relegation took me by surprise in the S1 finale, and the 5-0 drubbing felt right - sometimes you have a game where you start out poo poo, everything carries on poo poo and you can't get a break (I think richard got a red in that game as well)
- they made a good effort on the actual pitch footage, that stuff is hard to shoot but they gave it a good shot (even though it looks like everyone is moving half speed)
- I thought nates story arc was really good
- it's just warming TV which is nice, and somehow did it in a way that won over a cynical person like me. Like, I should hate it but I don't.

The bad:

- Sam/Rebecca is weiiiiird, major power dynamic imbalance there.
- it doesn't really capture how bonkers insane a lot of footballers are - 19 year olds who earn millions of pounds a year and haven't known anything outside of football can get real weird
- lots of Americanisms slipped in by British characters who wouldn't use those words/expressions which is a bit jarring to hear
- too little focus on the actual club in S2

Overall I liked it way better than I thought I was going to and looking forward to S3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Did Jon Stewart’s show get canceled? I thought there was supposed to be one this week and the TV database sites no longer list any upcoming episodes, but I don’t see any news about it.