Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This phantom draft is kind of boring since it seems like everyone including me has drafted the same blue/black pile

I drafted white/red/black. Deck seems pretty good unless the opponent puts up 2 boarded windows. I still won, but it was painful until he conceded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sure, I get the avabruck caretaker in the first phantom draft I try.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This phantom draft is kind of boring since it seems like everyone including me has drafted the same blue/black pile

Not me, I drafted a B/G pile of crap because I figured I could just requeue if it didn't work right :(

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was wondering why my opponents were so determined to play through what seemed like losing situations.

Led to good games, though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BDawg posted:

I absolutely despise playing against mono white. It's such a cancer on the game.

I made an Azorius Boardwipe specifically to hard counter MonoW/lifegainers. All you need is Doomskar/Vanquish the Horde/Devastating Mastery, some chumps (I prefer Cloudkin Seer), a pinch of bouncing, some counterspells, some digging, and kicked Tazeem Roilmage to replay those instants/sorceries.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 16, 2021

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I've been playing a gruul spell breaker deck in historic and it's basically just all cards from throne of eldraine (+ 2 cost druid that gives a red and green mana back) and before. I feel like that era was just so crazy powerful that most newer decks/cards can't compete in historic. Also I really think the shuffler cheats because whenever I'm facing a deck with a lot of grave yard recursion I seem to get a graveyard hate card in my opening hand. It feels like it happens too often to be coincidence.

Bobatron fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 16, 2021

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Sure, I get the avabruck caretaker in the first phantom draft I try.

ive opened avabruck pack 3 when im not green at all 3 times now (mythic btw) and at this poont im pretty sure wotc is doing it on purpose. i just sit there with my head in my hands and pout the rest of the draft

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bobatron posted:

I've been playing a gruul spell breaker deck in historic and it's basically just all cards from throne of eldraine (+ 2 cost druid that gives a red and green mana back) and before. I feel like that era was just so crazy powerful that most newer decks/cards can't compete in historic.
Yeah, just compare CoCo vs. Chariot. Chariot's this dominant force in standard, but for the same cost in historic you get to dig two 3mv creatures out of your deck and throw them directly on the board at instant speed

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm certain I'm just jumping to conclusions and there's nothing going on, but drat I've really been experiencing an uptick in roping the past few days :(

megane posted:

Yeah, just compare CoCo vs. Chariot. Chariot's this dominant force in standard, but for the same cost in historic you get to dig two 3mv creatures out of your deck and throw them directly on the board at instant speed

It's powerful and I wish the format was balanced in such a way that creature decks without it aren't at a huge disadvantage against the field. The games where you draw your CoCos vs control and the games you don't feel entirely different.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Technically CoCo isn't from the same era as Eldraine but also it gets so much play because it's the next best thing to Aether Vial

We probably shouldn't get Aether Vial

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

We deserve Aether Vial.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

fadam posted:

I'm certain I'm just jumping to conclusions and there's nothing going on, but drat I've really been experiencing an uptick in roping the past few days :(

I've noticed similar and longer times for matchmaking since the update.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The ios app has been a lot more unstable the past 2-3 weeks than it was before.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Pyroclasm is 2 damage for 2 mana, and these are all pyroclasm+ for 3 mana. Crush the weak can be 2 damage for 1 mana if you foretell it, cinderclasm has 1 mana for 1 damage to all as a mode. Seems pretty much on-rate?
I don't think any of them are pyroclasm + because I wouldn't play any of them over pyroclasm.
Also, fortell isn't free and I think you have the CMC and the Kicker costs on Cinderclasm backwards.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
please give me aether vial

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I personally took it as a chance to draft BG toughness gimmick. I did get the 1/13 to swing as a 13/13 once but mainly it’s just buffing stuff like the 2 mana wolves to 4/4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

uggy posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I actually need one more Aether Vial for my merfolk deck. Can you believe this poo poo was printed at uncommon originally.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I actually need one more Aether Vial for my merfolk deck. Can you believe this poo poo was printed at uncommon originally.

And no one played it because tapping a vial for a creature was too expensive when they all cost zero.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

And no one played it because tapping a vial for a creature was too expensive when they all cost zero.

Went to modern at my LGS last week and one of my opponents blasted my rear end with memnites and affinity creatures so I completely understand

I was playing boros burn and I just couldn't keep up

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

uggy posted:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think CoCo is our "fixed" vial.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

u get the vial and i get lapse and brainstorm back amen

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Huxley posted:

I think CoCo is our "fixed" vial.

We deserve both!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CoCo is 6 years old!!!

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
What everyone said about Dreadfast is so right. Just dropped one in the phantom draft and, after it duplicated on my end step, you could see the other player looking at the demon, then the token, and my cluttered board, and scooped.

Thanks to the person who said to run 18 lands; I was initially running 17 and drew Dreadfast game 1 but didn't live long enough to play it.

Edit: On a separate note, any tips to make Arena run more smoothly on my Microsoft Surface? I bought it for work, not gaming, and I know this isn't a gaming PC, but it should be able to run a damned card game a little better than this! It helped to turn the in-game video quality to low, turn off emotes and my pet, and turn off sounds, but it still is a bit laggy. Good enough to play, but could be improved.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

mtga turns my laptop into lava even with everything turned down and i dont know poo poo abobt coding or gpus or whatever but its gotta be one of the least efficient games that has ever existed

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't been able to quit MTGA normally since the last patch lol, I have to close then go into the taskmanager and stop the process from there.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Runs well on my phone but I’m only turning dudes sideways these days

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

40 lbs to freedom posted:

mtga turns my laptop into lava even with everything turned down and i dont know poo poo abobt coding or gpus or whatever but its gotta be one of the least efficient games that has ever existed

It runs like dogshit on my laptop which is theoretically more powerful than my desktop

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If we're just demanding our wishlist gimme gravecrawler. And a decent sac outlet.
Other than tower I mean. Oh god do I want to play a legacy deck on Arena.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Yes as a piece of coding it's awful. It demands so much fun my gpu and all for that greasy faerie

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

If we're just demanding our wishlist gimme gravecrawler. And a decent sac outlet.
Other than tower I mean. Oh god do I want to play a legacy deck on Arena.

One of the Altars would be a cool add imo.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HootTheOwl posted:

I was gonna say. I looked it up and the picture rang a bell and my first thought was, "Wasn't that the set that had Skullclamp?"

Yes it was.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Essence Warden would be a swell reprint for historic. Archangel of Thune would be very niche, but is extremely my poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

One of the Altars would be a cool add imo.

They're just combo pieces. I've never seen one be used for value.
New combos are printed every set so re-seeing the old ones is just boring to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I drafted Orzhov for the phantom draft since I got Headless Rider and basically stayed in black for pack 1 and got Kaya in pack 2, and the token synergy between the two of them ended up working out pretty well. I've definitely drafted better decks, and I assume the competition is lighter since it's a free event, but honestly it was my favorite draft in a while since the lack of stakes made it easier to just enjoy without stressing about it. I went 3-1 to get the rewards, but I'll probably gently caress around with it a little more before the event ends. Obviously it's kind of a bummer that it's just one draft, and I think even having one a day would be a nice compromise (especially since some people will probably get hosed with a dreadful deck and not even get their rewards), but a free phantom draft is still something I'm not going to complain about too much.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

If control decks can have loving Archmages Charm, I deserve to have Aether Vial.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Kind of sucks you can't redraft the phantom weekly. I went off to force UR to see if I could make it work. The answer is....maaaaaybe? It took me three games to get a win, but swept 3 after that. So...:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dear Wizards,

I would be down with a weekly Phantom Draft for Midweek Magic, instead of Momir or Omniscience or whatever other dumb format you want to inflict on us. Thanks!