Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Maybe “Radical Edward” will be a weird informant they use throughout but never see or meet until the season finale and it’s a big surprise that it’s a young, well…Edward. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make Ed non-binary. “Edward is Edward.”

I wish I got to hear the new music. I still say that even if the show is garbage, it’s a net positive for allowing new Seatbelts music to exist.

Some of the dialogue and lighting in the trailers is rough, but I like the cast and actually think the CGI ships look outstanding.

We’ll all know soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Kauboi Bibappu

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Radical Edward doesn't have an actor listed because she will literally just be the character from the anime, Roger Rabbit-style

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
The problem is actually that they haven't come up with the technology to properly depict the computer that we see Cowboy Bebop at. You can't have him without that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

The problem is actually that they haven't come up with the technology to properly depict the computer that we see Cowboy Bebop at. You can't have him without that

Eds a girl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's a meme :ssh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ithle01 posted:

AS only showed it once a year and this was after they stopped doing regular episodes. 12 and 13 have definitely not aged well, but my point is that there's like a total of eight episodes of Bebop that have an actual plot and the rest is just whatever and that's probably one of the best things about the series. Just replace 12 and 13 with Ed's father and either the mushrooms or the bad food episode and that's a decent 2-ish hours of tv.

It's been a long time since I watched Jupiter Jazz, but did it really not age well? The character I assume you're talking about is a gay man in love with and betrayed by Viscous who got on medication to deal with his depression over it, that depression medication had a side effect of stimulating breast growth (which is a side effect some medications can have in real life), and being a former soldier when the time was right he used this to his advantage by disguising himself as a woman to try and get answers/revenge. Faye is pretty insensitive about it, but she's, you know, Faye. I can see how the story is on the problematic side, but I never felt like it was over any lines or harmful to trans/intersex people or anything.

If I'm forgetting something or missing something, I'm glad to be educated though.

Either way I don't think its even possible to completely erase those two episodes because they're two of the those eight with the plot in them.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Look up Julius from that episode. Yeesh.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szmSWh7-Fz0

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1460230603266088972
"This new show is the product of a culture that exhumes yesterday because it’s run out of fresh ideas for tomorrow, and its vision of the future is so sterile and uninspired that it often feels like nothing more than a cheap vision of the waking life that everyone in Watanabe’s original was trying so hard to sleep off."

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 15, 2021

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Sanguinia posted:

If I'm forgetting something or missing something, I'm glad to be educated though.
It isn't anyone's responsiblity to educate you, you transphobic bigot! How dare you have a nuanced interpretation of this? Yikes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Omon Ra posted:

It isn't anyone's responsiblity to educate you, you transphobic bigot! How dare you have a nuanced interpretation of this? Yikes.

Omon Ra posted:

Goons will never stop bitterly muttering about how crypto is worthless, even as it's literally worth a trillion dollars.
I see

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

You know, the more I read these 7-ish score reviews about how it's kinda bleh and misses the mark in some ways, the more I feel like it'll end up like the first season of Preacher.
I remember watching that first season (having read the full comic run and enjoyed it) and thinking that it was okay but spinning its wheels.

I was never expecting a masterpiece with this adaptation and would just be fine with a high-budget fan production. It might be that's all this ends up being, so that's not the end of the world, right?

EDIT: The writing style of this review hurts my head.

Oh, right, this is David Ehrlich, the guy who wrote "‘Dune’ Review: Denis Villeneuve’s Epic Spice Opera Is a Massive Disappointment"
I dunno if I can take his opinion seriously...

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
io9 also has their review up, which comes off as negative in the title, but reads mixed to positive in the review, so who knows:

https://gizmodo.com/cowboy-bebop-cant-keep-itself-from-clapping-on-the-1s-a-1848039503

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alan Sepinwall of Rolling Stone seemed to like it:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1460156140709466113?t=8z5VxZNs_oJQFA_fgWa_UQ&s=19

I'm not expecting a lot but I'll give it a.chance.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pre-reviews are clickbait trash hth...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I think for fans of the anime it might not live up to overlarge expectations, but might be good for normal people

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I think for fans of the anime it might not live up to overlarge expectations, but might be good for normal people

That's my hope. I don't think I could ever get my dad to watch the original because he just doesn't vibe with animation. He liked The Shyamalan Last Airbender because the world was so cool and the story seemed cool, but he could tell how trashy it was in a lot of places, so I bought him the complete series box set and told him to give it a chance. It's still plastic wrapped a decade later. I think he'd like Bebop, and if this is the only version I could get him to try, I hope it'll be at least good enough to be worth seeing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don’t have high hopes but I’m a Trek nerd so I can’t pretend I’m better than this trash. Annoyed to hear about all the changes though. I never once, while watching the anime for the first time, thought “you know what I could use more of? Julia and Vicious”

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I don't have a problem with an adaptation of Bebop but I broadly have a problem with simply reusing plots in a remake of a series that focuses so little on serialized storytelling. Just give us some new stories with the live action guys and let it stand or fall without necessitating a comparison of whether the cartoon or live action version did a better job at the one where environmental terrorists dressed as rats attack

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm working on the assumption they're planning on doing more than one season so to condense the arcs of the anime into the first is a good way to set the stage for more original stuff in a second. But who knows!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BiggestBatman posted:

I don't have a problem with an adaptation of Bebop but I broadly have a problem with simply reusing plots in a remake of a series that focuses so little on serialized storytelling. Just give us some new stories with the live action guys and let it stand or fall without necessitating a comparison of whether the cartoon or live action version did a better job at the one where environmental terrorists dressed as rats attack

Yeah, I couldn't really shake that weird feeling when they just keep showing the shot-for-shot remakes in the previews. Like...I can still just watch the anime if I want to watch the anime. Is it really just going to be for people too embarrassed to watch a cartoon? Why not give us a little something new. The setting is rich as hell and can go in pretty much unlimited directions. :sigh:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

BiggestBatman posted:

They did this with the final fantasy remake and it was bogging awful

I'm hype for an adaption not for some brand new thing. Its been 23 years, that's more than enough time to give something before reinterpreting it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm hype for an adaption not for some brand new thing. Its been 23 years, that's more than enough time to give something before reinterpreting it

The problem is when an adaptation is so slavish to the original its not worth existing. The reviews are saying that didn't happen here, but the exact shot-for-shot recreations of some stuff did have me worried at first. Nobody wants a Dragonball Evolution, but nor should they want a Live Action Lion King

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
If there's one thing about anime fans I've learned over the years, it's that they get really pissed if an anime adaptation deviates from the original too much, like they don't understand the concept of different continuities. The only property that I've seen be immune to that is Akira, because it's a classic and I don't think most people read the manga anyway. So in this case I don't blame the marketing for focusing on similarities with the original.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
All along this has looked like people trying their best at something that's fundamentally a bad idea and the reviews all seem consistent with that. Remake flawed but interesting things, not good things.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xibanya posted:

I don’t have high hopes but I’m a Trek nerd so I can’t pretend I’m better than this trash. Annoyed to hear about all the changes though. I never once, while watching the anime for the first time, thought “you know what I could use more of? Julia and Vicious”

I'm still looking forward to the Netflix adaptation, but adding more Julia kind of misses the entire loving point.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

God the FF7 remake is still so utterly disappointing to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pre-reviews are clickbait trash hth...

I really don't think this is true tbh.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sanguinia posted:

The problem is when an adaptation is so slavish to the original its not worth existing. The reviews are saying that didn't happen here, but the exact shot-for-shot recreations of some stuff did have me worried at first. Nobody wants a Dragonball Evolution, but nor should they want a Live Action Lion King

The Lion King Remake made like 1.6 billion at the box office dude. People love watching adaptions and reimaginings.

Vandar posted:

God the FF7 remake is still so utterly disappointing to me.

On the one hand its nice they didn't just make ff7 HD but thats kinda all i wanted

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 16, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
this is violence

https://twitter.com/midfalutin/status/1460286013687877648

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 16, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/tomatograndpa/status/1460269358379380742?s=21

Ooooooooof. Nothing about this sounds great. Especially stuff like how they appear to have treated Faye’s and Vicious’ characters. The apparent changes to the end of the pilot/first episode are brutal and just scream “we don’t have the budget for this” but this is loving netflix c’mon

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think with cowboy bebop I'm going to take my wifes approach to a new heartland series being released and just watch the entire thing in a day without forum posting or really caring what anyone elses opinion is

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

:suicide:

Heyyyyy. How ‘bout that music????

https://youtu.be/ZINRNNNRNVE

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

“I’m not gonna carry that weight” is some Dexter level handling of the source material holy poo poo lmao

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I really hope she says that in response to being asked to help move some heavy equipment.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Jaxts posted:

I really hope she says that in response to being asked to help move some heavy equipment.

Note the use of the word "dramatically".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope there’s a dramatic pause and camera zoom before it followed by looking directly at the camera after.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ooooooooof. Nothing about this sounds great. Especially stuff like how they appear to have treated Faye’s and Vicious’ characters.

The subjectivity and incompleteness of character backgrounds was oddly a strength in the anime, I'd say. The original gets a lot of mileage out of very little, brief flashes of things like Faye's life in the past or Spike's history with the syndicate or how he remembers Julia. "Fleshing out" some of these details sounds like a huge mistake, because the minimalism of the original made them much more poetic. Everything about their past is filtered through memory, usually imperfectly, leaving us to fill in the blanks.

I don't need more Vicious, because elaborating on him almost certainly makes him more boring. He's Spike if he never fell in love with Julia, a syndicate heavy who never had some spiritual awakening to inspire him to leave his life of violence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the anime packed spike’s entire backstory into a wordless ninety-second montage and no more needed to be said on it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A lot of the complains seem like: “It’s not the anime.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Based on what I've seen of it so far, I think I'm probably going to enjoy it but have some criticisms, and that the internet is going to loving HATE it which is going to make me like it more.