Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like you're missing the part where part 4 and onwards are 39 episodes and things tend to actually get wrapped up well instead of a bunch of arbitrary extensions making things 2+ episodes all the time. the part 3 anime specifically has genuine pacing issues. the manga doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sure, they extended part 3 too much.

I also don't like the manga half as much as the anime. When I started reading years ago bits of part 1 almost made me lose interest completely. And then I stopped reading in part 4 just before Superfly which, in hindsight, was a poo poo decision.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There are some cases where I like the scenes that the Stardust Crusaders anime adds. Suzie Q gets to actually show up in the High Priestess arc! And talk to Jotaro! That's something that wasn't in the manga, and it's pretty nice to see it.

But, at the same time, those added scenes make that episode go from being a fight that could've been resolved in one episode to being two episodes long. I remember finding it weird that The Sun had a whole episode devoted to itself as well, when it could've just been half to three fourths of an episode like Tower of Gray.

I'm kind of bummed by the backlash to that causing later parts to be stuffed into a rigid 39 episodes, though. There are some fun moments that have been getting cut. :(

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There are some cases where I like the scenes that the Stardust Crusaders anime adds. Suzie Q gets to actually show up in the High Priestess arc! And talk to Jotaro! That's something that wasn't in the manga, and it's pretty nice to see it.

But, at the same time, those added scenes make that episode go from being a fight that could've been resolved in one episode to being two episodes long. I remember finding it weird that The Sun had a whole episode devoted to itself as well, when it could've just been half to three fourths of an episode like Tower of Gray.

I'm kind of bummed by the backlash to that causing later parts to be stuffed into a rigid 39 episodes, though. There are some fun moments that have been getting cut. :(

Yeah the additions to the Judgement fight improve it immensely. The anime would be improved if they allowed themselves more Araki-approved rewrites since the manga has a couple of misses every now and then.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the alessi episodes are skippable and nothing else.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tiny Jotaro is pretty cool though so it’s not complete garbage

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

the forever and alessi episodes are skippable and nothing else.

:colbert:

Honestly, as creepy as Alessi is, I thought his episodes were funny. He's almost Oingo Boingo levels of ineffectual despite having a genuinely overpowered ability.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:colbert:

Honestly, as creepy as Alessi is, I thought his episodes were funny. He's almost Oingo Boingo levels of ineffectual despite having a genuinely overpowered ability.

And having an Axe marked "AXE" is a strong choice. He really shouldn't need any additional weapons but he's just that much of a dipshit.

also if media in general could just always avoid doing the "oh this person is really evil, so evil they're a rapist/pedo" poo poo I'd be :stoked: It's so lazy to just throw it in to make someone worse unless there's an actual point to be made.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

And having an Axe marked "AXE" is a strong choice. He really shouldn't need any additional weapons but he's just that much of a dipshit.

(also if media in general could just always avoid doing the "oh this person is really evil, so evil they're a rapist/pedo" poo poo I'd be :stoked: It's so lazy to just throw it in to make someone worse unless there's an actual point to be made.)

I would also love if Araki specifically could stop

Guess we'll find out in part 9 (not holding my breath tho)

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I would also love if Araki specifically could stop

Guess we'll find out in part 9 (not holding my breath tho)

I'd take that as a compromise. I can "only" think of Alessi/Mr. Right hands and Angelo but I don't know much about part 6-8. 3 is more than enough .

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

I'd take that as a compromise. I can "only" think of Alessi/Mr. Right hands and Angelo but I don't know much about part 6-8. 3 is more than enough .

e: lmao thank you hatty, I've been real scatterbrained lately

Let's see, in part 3 there's also the rape ape (complete with shower shot of the would-be victim), part 4 has angelo as you noted, part 5 has Melone and Baby Face (seriously what the gently caress), (manga parts 6-8 spoilers/commentary ahead) part 6 has... I honestly don't remember any sexual peril moments in that one but I only read it once. Part 7 has Valentine try to force himself on Lucy Steel, and I haven't finished part 8 yet but reading some of the chat I remember people mentioning one of the characters was real loving assault-y

Part 2 didn't have any sexual peril but it did have a nazi we were supposed to sympathize with, and part 1 is perfect just like jonathan. There's Dio's kiss and that's really it I think

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Anime thread! know your bearings!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

e: lmao thank you hatty, I've been real scatterbrained lately

Let's see, in part 3 there's also the rape ape (complete with shower shot of the would-be victim), part 4 has angelo as you noted, part 5 has Melone and Baby Face (seriously what the gently caress), (manga parts 6-8 spoilers/commentary ahead) part 6 has... I honestly don't remember any sexual peril moments in that one but I only read it once. Part 7 has Valentine try to force himself on Lucy Steel, and I haven't finished part 8 yet but reading some of the chat I remember people mentioning one of the characters was real loving assault-y

Part 2 didn't have any sexual peril but it did have a nazi we were supposed to sympathize with, and part 1 is perfect just like jonathan. There's Dio's kiss and that's really it I think

True the ape does suck. At least put any of the adult characters in the shower if you have to.

Stroheim is at least funnier and gets fairly consistently dunked on. I love Josephs ambivalence towards Stroheim having "his wretched life saved".

Dio's kiss in part 1 at least serves a purpose and isn't just a cheap way to make someone worse. And Erina gets Dio back right away.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

Stroheim is at least funnier and gets fairly consistently dunked on. I love Josephs ambivalence towards Stroheim having "his wretched life saved".

Dio's kiss in part 1 at least serves a purpose and isn't just a cheap way to make someone worse. And Erina gets Dio back right away.

I was referring to Caesar's nazi BFF, the one who gets half-absorbed by Santana that we're supposed to feel sad about because he has :qq:a family or whatever:qq:. Honestly Araki should have just replaced the nice nazi with, say, a younger brother of Caesar's or something. Would've been 1000x better for the scene overall and it would've sold the immediate "all right now we're gonna gently caress you up" pose way better

e: In the manga it'd have also saved literally a full page of nazi backstory trying to tell us how nice and normal the nazi was and why we should be sad that he's dying. It could've been replaced with "This is my younger brother, Rigatoni" and combined with what we already know about Caesar, boom, reader-character bond created and we already understand why joseph and caesar would care about him dying. You get a full page back to use on anything else.

And yeah I only included Dio's kiss because it very technically counts in terms of violating personal boundaries, it's nowhere in the same ballpark as any of the other examples

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 16, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I was referring to Caesar's nazi BFF, the one who gets half-absorbed by Santana that we're supposed to feel sad about because he has :qq:a family or whatever:qq:. Honestly Araki should have just replaced the nice nazi with, say, a younger brother of Caesar's or something. Would've been 1000x better for the scene overall and it would've sold the immediate "all right now we're gonna gently caress you up" pose way better

And yeah I only included Dio's kiss because it very technically counts in terms of violating personal boundaries, it's nowhere in the same ballpark as any of the other examples

Ah, sure. I just find that scene so laughable that I have a hard time thinking we were supposed to give a poo poo about this 2 minutes old nazi. It's almost as dumb as if we were supposed to care about the zombies in part 1 that introduce themselves literally 1 second before dying.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 16, 2021

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Strength is the only episode I tell people to skip because it almost made me stop watching the show entirely, it's so gross and the episode would be boring even without the creepy poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Unfortunately Araki dips into sexual assault as shorthand for being evil probably for the same reason he has villains kill so many dogs: it is a horror media staple.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
That's not even mentioning Hazamada in part 4. It was fuckin gross when after he's beaten he's kouchi's friend and like, rather than turning a corner or anything when we get to the Rohan episode we get to find out about his rape fantasies he's "too much of a coward to act out", which was what put me off my part 4 rewatch. I love jojos broadly but Araki has to stop and I know he doesn't.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I don't think we were supposed to feel sad for the nazi? I saw it as a tongue in cheek parody of the usual "Oh no! Soldier with a family dies before seeing his family again!" trope

Come on, he is even called Mark.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone forgets about Mark literally five minutes after he dies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nea posted:

That's not even mentioning Hazamada in part 4. It was fuckin gross when after he's beaten he's kouchi's friend and like, rather than turning a corner or anything when we get to the Rohan episode we get to find out about his rape fantasies he's "too much of a coward to act out", which was what put me off my part 4 rewatch. I love jojos broadly but Araki has to stop and I know he doesn't.

Hazamada is supposed to be a creepy little rear end in a top hat.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The poses Joseph and Caesar make after Mark died are more memorable than him

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah obviously the memorability is the main issue here

you don't have to grasp at straws to defend the nazi character's inclusion you know

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The inclusion is dumb I'm just not entirely sold on Araki thinking that his audience would be crying over Mark the Nazi. Part 2 has a fairly clear opinion on Nazis outside of that scene and Araki maybe liking Stroheim a bit too much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Stroheim deserved a way more ignominious fate, like “almost single-handedly responsible for losing Stalingrad with his dumbass tactics getting everyone who served under him killed”

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Regalingualius posted:

Stroheim deserved a way more ignominious fate, like “almost single-handedly responsible for losing Stalingrad with his dumbass tactics getting everyone who served under him killed”

Hitler was already doing that himself though.

I might be misremembering or maybe it was a suspiciously fascist translation I read but doesn't the manga say that Stroheim died with honor at Stalingrad?

The anime does make the obvious fix and removes the honor part.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

yeah obviously the memorability is the main issue here

you don't have to grasp at straws to defend the nazi character's inclusion you know

No one is defending the nazi character? People are saying that they did not read the intent of that scene the same way you did. I might be wrong and the manga plays that scene to be taken seriously, but the anime definitely did not.

Dangercakes
Oct 21, 2005

Let cake eat them.
Maybe I've just been brain poisoned by Jojo memes but I laugh my rear end off whenever I watch Mark's death scene because I think, "Is Mark all right? No, he's all left." He was barely a character to begin with, his death is given massive importance, and then he's immediately forgotten. It's hilarious.

I don't expect Jojo to be anything but gleefully stupid and batshit insane, so I don't really care that it's soft on fascism. Also, it's really hard for me to take any of the Nazi characters even remotely seriously, especially Stroheim once he gets all of his robot upgrades, and I enjoy whenever his soldiers get wrecked by the Pillar Men. gently caress 'em, they're Nazis.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only thing that JoJo Nazis are good for is giving us the sentence “that series where a bunch of Nazis get slaughtered by a squirrel”

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's not even that soft on fascism. Sure there are a few things you could argue about but part 2 spends a good amount of time hating Nazis too. Basically everything they try fails and/or makes things worse and Joseph never has much love for Stroheim. The fuckers accidentally create an actual übermensch and almost end humanity by doing so.

You're also correct that it's difficult to take wacky cartoon Nazis seriously. Not the best choice of supporting cast, sure. But Nazis doing mystical "science" is a trope that comes up often and part 2 has a touch of Indiana Jones.

Regalingualius posted:

The only thing that JoJo Nazis are good for is giving us the sentence “that series where a bunch of Nazis get slaughtered by a squirrel”

a hand-squirrel, even. I love Kars.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 17, 2021

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i was going to say the "I didn't expect the Third Reich to show up" screenshot was good but apparently it has been appropriated by internet bigots. go figure!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hazamada is supposed to be a creepy little rear end in a top hat.

yeah i know he's supposed to be a creepy little rear end in a top hat they just overdid it imo it sucks

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Throw that goblin in the trash where he belongs. While we're at it, throw Koichis family in a separate dumpster for being ready to throw Koichi under the bus because some random rear end in a top hat said so.

Why would you take the word of a stranger over your own kid? Koichi is like 90 cm tall, 15-16 years old and hasn't even loving shoplifted before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brandfarlig posted:

Why would you take the word of a stranger over your own kid? Koichi is like 90 cm tall, 15-16 years old and hasn't even loving shoplifted before.

Koichi really steals though. No dignity.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Koichi has the power of keeping a dog alive in a Jojo series

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

Why would you take the word of a stranger over your own kid?

Because The Lock is an incredibly powerful stand

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Never believing your own child is a horror movie staple

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc it was specifically that all the stand needed was even the vaguest shred of doubt, no matter how small, and it could take effect and make things worse

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Part 2 didn't have any sexual peril

the part where the guards searched and groped those women

and then made fun of joseph's perfect disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would throw Koichi under a bus because a stranger said so, gently caress Koichi.