Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Why do you keep getting hung up on that? Eren establishes that from his perspective he's conversing with Armin from the future, where it's all already happened and he's about to be killed. Nothing Armin can say during the conversation would prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asuron posted:

It’s this.

That’s the correct interpretation. I don’t even like the ending, but that’s clearly the intended message. The city being destroyed and the child walking into the tree , beginning the cycle all over could not make that any clearer

The weird thing is that even the world’s WW2 era tech was starting to overtake titans, and by the time of the epilogue they have stealth bombers. Titans ain’t gonna do poo poo against that

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 13, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why do you keep getting hung up on that? Eren establishes that from his perspective he's conversing with Armin from the future, where it's all already happened and he's about to be killed. Nothing Armin can say during the conversation would prevent it.

couldnt he tell armin that hes realized genocide is wrong and to tell him he told him not to do it because hes dying. idk. the paths suck. say whatever you want for or against the story but its very clear isayama was not equipped as a creator to handle the kind of pandoras box that this kind of plot element would be opening

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

yeah armin saying that is probs the worst moment in the entire series. really he needed to lay down the most incredible own in history but it just didn't happen and it was a total loss. gently caress lol

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's pretty easy for fascists to read the work without thinking their worldviews are challenged, when the characters that do assert humanistic virtues and are portrayed sympathetically can easily also be read as naïve when the series makes a point to crush their idealism against its idea of what human nature is. You can have Hange look at the camera and say "genocide is wrong" and it doesn't matter. That's just surface level text that's not ultimately carried through in the series' themes and grand narrative.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I finally got through the anime and then finished the manga, and I wasn't too shocked that it'd fumble the ending. AoT has a lot of sloppy waffling, and Eren got especially waffled in the lead up to the final chapter. I was prepared even tho the writing had really strong moments. The best part was seeing how much Isayama developed in his craft from the first chapter to the last.

I think Isayama has used the anime as a revised draft of the manga sometimes, I'm curious if the second half of Season 4 will have anything major adjusted or expanded. I predict that we'll get that legendary Armin dunk but I won't hold out for it.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

It’s pretty easy for fascists to consume media on a very surface level and find things in it that supports their fascist ideals. I’m not a my little pony fan but we got a lot of fascists out of that fandom and I don’t think the ponies were advocating genocide in the series. I have also seen a lot of chuds who think it’s always sunny is pro-right wing because the characters “own the libs.”

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m not surprised at all that a popular anime with a lot of pro military imagery appeals to fascists. I’ve noticed that anime in general has a very vocal following that are that particular brand of internet fascist weeb edge lord.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DamnitGannet posted:

Its pretty easy for fascists to consume media on a very surface level and find things in it that supports their fascist ideals. Im not a my little pony fan but we got a lot of fascists out of that fandom and I dont think the ponies were advocating genocide in the series. I have also seen a lot of chuds who think its always sunny is pro-right wing because the characters own the libs.

I guess what Im saying is that Im not surprised at all that a popular anime with a lot of pro military imagery appeals to fascists. Ive noticed that anime in general has a very vocal following that are that particular brand of internet fascist weeb edge lord.

It's also pretty easy to, instead of analyzing a piece of problematic media as a whole and understanding why you think the message is muddled or how people might enjoy it without it being a reflection of their Darkest Desires (or even that they might disagree with it or think it faltered at points), just say Thing is For Fascists/Creeps because you can never lose your argument since automatically the other person is defending a Thing For Fascists/Creeps.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

It's also pretty easy to, instead of analyzing a piece of problematic media as a whole and understanding why you think the message is muddled or how people might enjoy it without it being a reflection of their Darkest Desires (or even that they might disagree with it or think it faltered at points), just say Thing is For Fascists/Creeps because you can never lose your argument since automatically the other person is defending a Thing For Fascists/Creeps.

Yep.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The most impressive thing for me is how, when Attack on Titan revealed things that completely reversed some of the apparent surface metaphors, the people who were calling Attack on Titan fascist for one set of plot points then, without skipping a beat, immediately started calling it fascist for the exact opposite reasons they had been calling it fascist earlier.

Once you reach a point where there's nothing a work can do to not be called fascist, it's rather difficult to take the accusations seriously.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I've been defending AoT ever since the fascist accusations emerged but those last chapters were so bad I don't even know what to think anymore.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think the ending is fascist I just think it sucks and I have no energy to defend it against bad faith readings

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hatty posted:

I don’t think the ending is fascist I just think it sucks and I have no energy to defend it against bad faith readings

same

I don't think Isayama is fascist, but AoT's ending was so messy as to be almost negligently open to appropriation. It sucks, and at this point I don't care enough to care.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Super Rad posted:

I've been defending AoT ever since the fascist accusations emerged but those last chapters were so bad I don't even know what to think anymore.

It still doesn't hold to a pro-fascism reading, it just reads like Isayama had enough of writing it and just had the things he planned on happen happen without trying to address the moral consequences of them or how its characters would react to it past a very superficial level.

The last few chapters feel like a bad anime adaptation that rushed everything up and made the story incongruent within itself. You can't be that careless when you're dealing with a topic like GENOCIDE and trying to make a point about it.

Isayama's true crime is sloppiness, really. Everything else is psychoanalysis and trying to prove 100% the series was Always Bad.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
70+ new posts! Hot dog, what new info dropped about the anime finale- oh

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/AoTWiki/status/1459840716012728322?s=20

lmao

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

How could anyone possibly think selling those armbands was a good idea. Did they just take it from the manga without looking at what it’s used for???

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

oh no

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Looking forward to zoomer anti-vaxers wearing these to town hall meetings.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

YF-23 posted:

It's pretty easy for fascists to read the work without thinking their worldviews are challenged
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1460010418617806854

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

make it stop please

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hate it here

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
https://twitter.com/brando_731_2/status/1460179537950502912?s=20

Armbands got pulled

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

hatty posted:

Hell, same.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

hatty posted:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/InRodWeTrustMTL/status/1460678261411876867

good

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I personally think it's really easy to post "that's dumb" when someone posts something dumb.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Are we really saying "AoT having fascist vibes is just a bad faith read" on the same page as tweets about conservatives appropriating imagery from the anime to show the murder of political opponents, and Judenstern-analogue merch being pulled?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LordMune posted:

Are we really saying "AoT having fascist vibes is just a bad faith read" on the same page as tweets about conservatives appropriating imagery from the anime to show the murder of political opponents, and Judenstern-analogue merch being pulled?

that's dumb

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

LordMune posted:

If you read a little AoT it's super fascist.

If you read a lot more AoT it actually flips a lot of your assumptions on its head and sounds like it's asking "isn't there a little facsist in all of us? isn't that hosed up? why is that?"

If you read AoT all the way to the end it's fascist again.

Gosar the Gosarian is at step one, but that's all he needs.

When fascism comes to america it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and posting self-insert anime gifs.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

LordMune posted:

I mean if you're so deadset on believing that AoT is superfascist and if you like it you agree with Isayama's fascist views, then it's fine. You can go ahead and spread misinfo all over the internet, but at least spare us this pity party where you go "am i the only sane person in this room?" when the whole world agrees with you on AoT.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, there's a lot of people who insist that "no no AoT is anti-fascist, see? hange said the thing, did you see hange say the thing? she looked at the camera and said the thing", as if they are ashamed of liking AoT and need to justify doing so on ideological grounds.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LordMune posted:

I think people are saying it's bad faith when the basis of the "it's actually fascist and isayama loves to kill jews" narrative comes from a disinformation campaign spread by lovely gaming journalists, OP.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

"You guys just don't GET anime!!!" - A guy sitting in the center of the House of Congress while his colleagues stand around him and admonish him for his anime fanart

We knew this future was inevitable but I didn't expect it this soon.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

I Love Annie May posted:

I mean if you're so deadset on believing that AoT is superfascist and if you like it you agree with Isayama's fascist views, then it's fine. You can go ahead and spread misinfo all over the internet, but at least spare us this pity party where you go "am i the only sane person in this room?" when the whole world agrees with you on AoT.

Two things here: Are the tweets fake or do they contain misinformation? Genuine question. Secondly, liking AoT does not make you a fascist (much like enjoying any kind of superhero comic does not make you a fascist), but by that same token, enjoying something does not preclude that thing from espousing a kinda fascist worldview.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think people are saying it's bad faith when the basis of the "it's actually fascist and isayama loves to kill jews" narrative comes from a disinformation campaign spread by lovely gaming journalists, OP.

That's fair, I have no real recollection of the article in question. That Isayama is a poor author and likely (but not definitively) harbors some questionable ideas that bleed into his work is supported by the property itself (and arguably by how... politicians read and use it :psyduck:).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is like calling Verhoeven a fascist because of 4chan producing Starship Troopers memes without a hint of irony.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is like calling Verhoeven a fascist because of 4chan producing Starship Troopers memes without a hint of irony.

Pretty much. People are always going to cherry pick aspects of a work regardless of authorial intent, to push propagandist narratives and readings of said work and use it as a vehicle to deliver and disseminate those values abroad to their audience.

Like the tweet Gosar made could have been Republicans being the heroes of dragon ball z, goku and the like, killing AOC who is Cell, a parasitic monster bent on wiping out humanity. That doesn't make DBZ fascist because fascist politicians are using it as propaganda.

I don't even disagree with people who read into AoT as having fascist themes as being in the wrong, but there's room for discussion and debate on it, and a lot of people don't want to actually analyze it to have that debate, they just want to push a narrative and smear all people who enjoy the work as fascists or fascist sympathizers, which I think is harmful misinformation and slander.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

No, the main point of that video was to liken immigrants to the titans as an invading force, the Democrats in it aren't just vaguely enemies, they are enablers of immigration.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

YF-23 posted:

No, the main point of that video was to liken immigrants to the titans as an invading force, the Democrats in it aren't just vaguely enemies, they are enablers of immigration.

I mean it's the same point, that's not a message of the original media, it's just what some guy with video editing software decided to make, and I don't think anyone is arguing that Gosar isn't a fascist bigoted bootlicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I still don't think it is the same. While AOT specifically goes out of its way to give twists on them or flip on them altogether, it positively revels in the aesthetics of militarism and dehumanisation. You do not get something that has such a surface-level appeal to fascists with most other series.