Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ouroboros posted:

Yeah in modern capitalism publicly traded stock prices are so utterly divorced from good, sustainable business practice as to render them almost meaningless unless you are a speculator or a scammer.

Modern capitalism? This has been a thing since at least South Sea. Capitalism does this from time to time and it's a huge red flag warning of contraction by overspeculation. It's apparently part of its natural cycle, and it'll be demanding a blood sacrifice soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dick Burglar posted:

One of the investigations will no doubt turn up a whiteboard with "COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF CRIMES DONE" written on it.

...I mean, they sure aren't doing a great job covering their tracks so far :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also given how reluctant they are to cut Kotick, he probably has dirt on a lot of people. If the prosecution is smart, they'd flip him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pollyanna posted:

Also given how reluctant they are to cut Kotick, he probably has dirt on a lot of people. If the prosecution is smart, they'd flip him.
Kotick didn't kill himself.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

If the termination isn't considered to be with cause, they have to give him 292 million dollars, so I'd say that's enough without having dirt on people, though he most likely has seen similar stuff from other board members too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm convinced at this point that Act-Blizz is engaged in amateur-grade financial fraud. Specifically the sort that you could only get away with because no one would think that a multi-billion dollar corporation would do something so stupid.

It really is mind-boggling, you'd think they look at "oh DFEH is suing us for paying women less than men for the same job" and some neuron would fire to make them go "maybe we should pay the people we're promoting to cover our asses here the same money for the same job"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How can one person or even family begin to spend that kind of cheddar. And he's nowhere near like, Musk or Bezos' wealthy. The mind boggles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It really is mind-boggling, you'd think they look at "oh DFEH is suing us for paying women less than men for the same job" and some neuron would fire to make them go "maybe we should pay the people we're promoting to cover our asses here the same money for the same job"

The former admits fault and opens them up to further punishment. The latter covers their asses and avoids that for now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

External Organs posted:

How can one person or even family begin to spend that kind of cheddar. And he's nowhere near like, Musk or Bezos' wealthy. The mind boggles.

Dragons hoard gold; they don't spend it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On the plus side, if Shadowrun turns out to be real, they'll get stuck inside their massive homes!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/xpatriciah/status/1460736555803455488

If nothing else the man's getting mad exposure.

Replace him with a bowl of fruit. Problem solved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1460981681024864263?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe this will help push things along but the letter represents a droplet of 3.8 million shares in the company (out of a total 779 million)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

External Organs posted:

It's because of…

THE BAR posted:

Dragons hoard gold; they don't spend it.
… this. Or, to put it in video game context, when your team is up by such an insurmountable amount and you keep kicking the other team while they're down? It's that mentality. The accumulation of incredible wealth is tantamount to a video game high score for these shitlords.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
capitalism is bad imo

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Minions, Acti-Blizz has nearly fallen. Many of you have gorged yourselves on blood and manflesh, but don't let your feasting delay you. I will have the shareholders and the California Government before the next dawn. The rest of this world will fall soon after

/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At this point I'm wondering why Bobby doesn't just resign. He could just take the L, walk away and retire on his infinite supply of blood money.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stev posted:

At this point I'm wondering why Bobby doesn't just resign. He could just take the L, walk away and retire on his infinite supply of blood money.

billionaires hate losing more than anything else in the world

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

stev posted:

You're talking about a man who would literally steal the stapler off his desk and try to sell it to his secretary on the way out.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Givin posted:

You're talking about a man who would literally steal the stapler off his desk and try to sell it to his secretary on the way out.

Yeah nothing about Bobby K makes him seem like the kind of guy to just 'take the L.'

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Givin posted:

Replace him with a bowl of fruit. Problem solved.

Replace his face with with the scan of his name from Epstein's book.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

stev posted:

Publicly at least "The Board remains confident in Bobby Kotick's leadership", which somehow doesn't contradict their "zero tolerance harassment policy."
The text was already posted, this is from their investor relations site: https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/activision-blizzard-board-directors-issues-statement-regarding

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

capitalism is bad imo

kind of a hot take but i have to agree

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I personally haven't yet been killed by capitalism so who's to say if its good or bad

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I mean, if we're lucky, sometimes a rich fucker (instead of the turbo-rich like Bezos) will throw their treasure into some grand scheme to make even more and it falls apart, allowing us to at least laugh a little as the dragon hoard disappears down to "merely" a few million.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If the termination isn't considered to be with cause, they have to give him 292 million dollars, so I'd say that's enough without having dirt on people, though he most likely has seen similar stuff from other board members too.

Is there any chance this stuff could reach the point of being cause?

(My guess at your answer: yes but even if he was on film shooting subordinates in the face it'd still be a ten year legal battle over it)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 17, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Now, this? This is a sign things have a chance of changing

https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1460981681024864263

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Now, this? This is a sign things have a chance of changing

https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1460981681024864263

thats a very small group of shareholders and something similar happened when these allegations first started coming out. unless the ones with the biggest stakes in the company decide to do something then nothing will happen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They were able to get 0.5% of the shareholders to sign on to that statement. This is the biggest sign change is coming since american regulatory agencies getting involved

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

billionaires hate losing more than anything else in the world

This makes no sense to me. What's the practical difference between having 5.5 billion and 5.8 billion? Are they scared of having 9 yachts instead of 10? And even then, a single yacht doesn't even come close to a billion USD.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

stev posted:

30.5 Days posted:

Kotick is dumb as a post- read this article about the flight attendant case.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/08/activision-ceo-kotick-loses-battle-with-top-hollywood-litigator.html

1. Fires first lawyer who won't fight a losing battle
2. Hires big name attorney for a shitload of money and tells her never to settle no matter what even if it'd be cheaper to do so.
3. Refuses to actually pay them halfway through the case, gets fired as a client
4. Brings on a third attorney and ends up paying what the first two laywers told him to settle for + the plaintiff's attorney fees.
5. Second lawyer sues him for the money he owes and he goes into arbitration.
6. Arbitrator rules for the lawyer, and then he spends a shitload of money appealing that and loses.

The guy would just go into negotiation meetings and talk about how he was going to ruin the plaintiff's life right in front of her attorneys and then get mad when it got brought up with the arbitrator, like they were cheating. Just one of the world's dumbest and most evil people.

This man would rather personally fistfight every single shareholder than ever admit to a loss. If they fire him for cause, he will never stop suing, and since he no longer works for activision, the evidence presented by activision's lawyers will hurt them more than him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Gadfly posted:

This makes no sense to me. What's the practical difference between having 5.5 billion and 5.8 billion? Are they scared of having 9 yachts instead of 10? And even then, a single yacht doesn't even come close to a billion USD.

Because billionaires buy their own hype.

The money doesn’t matter, but their pride does

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
How does “literally threatened to kill a woman while having the resources and connections to actually do it” not equate to for-cause, especially after admitting to it on the record?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Get into the company slack to play damage control over reports that I was making more than my co-equal president with more studio management experience than me, forget she actually still works here and can rebut my tapdancing

https://www.ign.com/articles/blizzard-jen-oneal-mike-ybarra-equal-pay-after-resignation

e: I posted this to the wrong thread & I'm pretty sure this was already posted here, but I guess uhhh enjoy anyway.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Gadfly posted:

It greatly matters to many billionaires where they come on lists of the richest people in the world. Musk sent Bezos a "2" statue this year when Musk's paper fortune was higher than Bezos's.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

The Gadfly posted:

Think of billionaires as financially-successful (usually through cutthroat and/or extremely-illegal-but-lol-white-collar-crime means) hoarders that hoard money and expensive things. Yes it's an oversimplification but it's not exactly wrong, either.

And yes, it's also a massive dick-measuring contest, as Arsenic Lupin mentioned a great example of.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
money makes your brain go dumb and hoardy. the richer you are the more clingy you get to your money. losing a billion dollars means that you're at risk of losing everything.

the hoarding is a human flaw, a brain worm that happens to be larger than most, in a sociopaths brain, and the more money they get the bigger the worm gets.

anyway dune was a pretty good movie whats going on with bobby kotick

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bloodysabbath posted:

How does “literally threatened to kill a woman while having the resources and connections to actually do it” not equate to for-cause, especially after admitting to it on the record?

Hate to say it but I think people in power just don't respect women as human beings

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Every day that something more, and worse, comes out makes me regret the money I've spent on AB products over the years because it feels like tacit enablement of that behaviour - even if it was outside of the public view.

I'm just in awe, really, of kotick writing an email and sending it under someone elses name because they're a woman, and when it landed like a lead balloon, had the temerity to call it tone deaf like he hadn't written it.

Just an absolute all timer.

Old mate really must know where the board's bodies are buried to have them stand by him after all the poo poo that's coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

money makes your brain go dumb and hoardy. the richer you are the more clingy you get to your money. losing a billion dollars means that you're at risk of losing everything.

Basically this. The only time billionaires spend large sums of money (to them) is when there's a possibility of even bigger return.