Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

drran 3 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: The Truth Shall Make You Free: Catholicism and the...

Are you joking? Russian spies are killing people right now. Former «Vympel», now «Alpha», entered Ukraine recently, and they started to collect money for their covert operation by murdering of innocent families. They are trying to kill me since 2008, because I searched/found their agent «24». USSR starved to death 7 million adults (number accepted by RF State Duma on 02.04.2008) and 23 million children (still not accepted by RF).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

goohle 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Selecting a programming language can be a form of ...

53k SLOC is tiny project. 5 senior developers at 1k SLOC per day will generate 53k SLOC in two weeks, just one sprint.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im not sure I’ve produced 1000 lines of code this year lmao

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've produced negative amounts of code this year. I am a very bad programmer :(

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've done 1k loc per day before. it just always involved code generation spewing out boilerplate that had to be committed afterwards for whatever reason.

i'm pretty sure i've written negative lines of code this year.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

saiya-jin 3 hours ago | undown | root | parent | next [–]

You are twisting words quite a bit. I very much belong to 'the other' tribe of not giving a nanofraction of a gently caress about some of these 'achievements' pushed on us, done by people who don't get the concept and urgency of work-life balance. No amazon prime deliveries? In fact, no Amazon deliveries in Switzerland that make any sense? We get by just fine. We don't order food from restaurants, it negates the very reason why to go to restaurant in the first place, the social experience is just not there. I can cook +-comparably well and actually enjoy the process. And so on.

I have myself mapped extremely well thanks to long term involvement with some extreme sports, backpacking around the globe and few times use of psilocybin in the right setting. I know exactly what makes me tick and what is superficial shallow BS, and what you describe is right there.

Again, achievements you describe as some holy grail of mankind mean next to nothing. My wife is a doctor, exactly same story - she can tell you all evening about true respectable achievements, and none of it is about some engineer figuring slightly more effective way for business to deliver.

And don't drag the topic into 'you didn't stop this from happening!' - we are adults, and responsible for our own development and life paths. Don't expect me or anybody else to babysit you and set your life straight to get happy and fulfilled life. If you won't, no guidebook nor internet course, nor aging itself will. Get your own poo poo together and do it yourself to be more precise.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

goohle 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Selecting a programming language can be a form of ...

53k SLOC is tiny project. 5 senior developers at 1k SLOC per day will generate 53k SLOC in two weeks, just one sprint.

Thinking about the quality and code review of small team that's making GBS threads out 26k lines per week and not liking it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

At that speed they can reimplement XFS in a month, ext4 in two weeks.

Perhaps that person worked on btrfs for a month. :v:

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

fritz posted:

as a 10x engineer i would simply do this myself in one week

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

You are twisting words quite a bit. I very much belong to 'the other' tribe of not giving a nanofraction of a gently caress about some of these 'achievements' pushed on us, done by people who don't get the concept and urgency of work-life balance. No amazon prime deliveries? In fact, no Amazon deliveries in Switzerland that make any sense? We get by just fine. We don't order food from restaurants, it negates the very reason why to go to restaurant in the first place, the social experience is just not there. I can cook +-comparably well and actually enjoy the process. And so on.

I have myself mapped extremely well thanks to long term involvement with some extreme sports, backpacking around the globe and few times use of psilocybin in the right setting. I know exactly what makes me tick and what is superficial shallow BS, and what you describe is right there.

Again, achievements you describe as some holy grail of mankind mean next to nothing. My wife is a doctor, exactly same story - she can tell you all evening about true respectable achievements, and none of it is about some engineer figuring slightly more effective way for business to deliver.

And don't drag the topic into 'you didn't stop this from happening!' - we are adults, and responsible for our own development and life paths. Don't expect me or anybody else to babysit you and set your life straight to get happy and fulfilled life. If you won't, no guidebook nor internet course, nor aging itself will. Get your own poo poo together and do it yourself to be more precise.

i think this person is probably not ideally fluent in written english but it seems like they are saying that having amazon prime or doordash delivering stuff to you, obsessing over pointless fart app javascript is not what's important in life, and well yeah i kind of agree

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Aye, that rear end in a top hat is an rear end in a top hat, but they aren't wrong.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

a good hn post???

fritz posted:

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

53k SLOC is tiny project. I will generate 53k SLOC in one day, just one sprintf in a loop

Truman Peyote posted:

a good hn post???
Not really, it's a whole thread where nobody seems to be responding to what the parent comment was actually saying, plus even if the message about not striving too hard is okay, the part where it sounds like it's saying, "I do extreme sports and backpacking so I know what's important better than you" is pretty typical HN fare.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 17, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if it is bad it is bad with too much context and reading between lines for a comedy thread at any rate

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

the part where it sounds like it's saying, "I do extreme sports and backpacking so I know what's important better than you" is pretty typical HN fare.

someone who’s found something they love and spends their time doing it actually does know what’s important better than a lot of people, op

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

rjmccall posted:

someone who’s found something they love and spends their time doing it actually does know what’s important better than a lot of people, op

That's not how that guy is thinking about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

There's a difference between "I have a hobby I like so I personally understand myself and don't define my meaning in life based on my job" and "I have backpacked around the world so I recognize that the thing you derive your meaning in life from is superficial BS"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i mean absolutely the post is tonally super german-speaker know-it-all, but yeah it's not super off the mark here

the only thing that does not match with the image of a robust alpine fitness sexhaver chad philosopher is the question of wtf are you doing posting on hn

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I very much belong to 'the other' tribe of not giving a nanofraction of a gently caress about some of these 'achievements' pushed on us, done by people who don't get the concept and urgency of work-life balance.

- me, a normal six figgy computer touching faang fuckhead he poaster in every way, after doing mushrooms in mineral king exactly once

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drat I can't believe a computer programmer took mushrooms and goes backpacking. very different than everyone my age that I know.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aside from the ridiculous smugness of saying "I know more about myself than you do" (rather than just saying "I personally prefer..."), the idea of conspicuous leisure in the form of spending time sightseeing in other countries as some sort of automatic gateway to magical enlightenment that normal people can't hope to understand is just extremely lol.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if it is bad it is bad with too much context and reading between lines for a comedy thread at any rate

"I have myself mapped extremely well thanks to long term involvement with some extreme sports, backpacking around the globe and few times use of psilocybin in the right setting."

Penisface posted:

i mean absolutely the post is tonally super german-speaker know-it-all, but yeah it's not super off the mark here

the only thing that does not match with the image of a robust alpine fitness sexhaver chad philosopher is the question of wtf are you doing posting on hn

That's not a chad, that's the very image of a Burning Man-going VC or founder or outgoing techbro

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my sister describing the sf dating scene 5 years ago said every guy in sf:
- works in tech
- goes rock climbing
- is a photographer
- is a dj

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

It's just an extremely abrasively defensive and self-promoting reply to a post that's not that bad

tuyguntn 7 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I think parent OP used "we" very much correctly, don't try to isolate some people's impact on society.

We all enjoyed when Jeff Bezos delivered our products faster to our homes. We enjoyed when our food is delivered from any restaurant we asked, we enjoyed traveling to other places and generating CO2 along the way.

And do you know why we enjoyed them? Because those people who strive for achievements worked really hard to create these conveniences for us, for some of them there was no personal life, working nights, no family, just career! And they achieved what they wanted. Now they demand from everyone such dedication. Hence some companies (employees to be exact) are creating hidden rules not to promote people with kids, because at some point they might not be as productive as 21 years who just graduated, with lots of energy to burn and cheap to employ. People don't want to have kids because they might distract from their career.

Now our society has problems, pollution, low wages, homelessness, burned out people, because not everyone can perform on their peers level without kids, without personal life and so on

And "we" who don't strive for achievement didn't stop them.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
(cw: suicide/mental health)

SapporoChris 14 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Daddy isn’t coming back

I have a black thought on this. I would be happy if someone corrected me. When something breaks, sometimes we repair it, sometimes we throw it out. The more valuable the item, the more we will spend to fix it. However even with the most valuable items, we sometimes reluctantly decide that it is broken beyond repair. Are people like this? Are some simply too broken to fix? I feel awful thinking this, but I wonder if there is some truth to it.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

they're replying to it with LoTR and Harry Potter quotes ffs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Harry Potter, or Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Harry Potter and the Codex of Ivermectin

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

That's not a chad, that's the very image of a Burning Man-going VC or founder or outgoing techbro

he wouldn’t be talking poo poo about all the “achievements” if he was a techbro

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

i'm pretty sure i've written negative lines of code this year.

Antigravitas posted:

I've produced negative amounts of code this year. I am a very bad programmer :(

if this means you've deleted more code then you wrote then big congrats, you've literally made the world a better place

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
yes, but i also wrote most of the code that i deleted in the first place

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't get to delete code, but i do get to delete content. about as satisfying imo

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

Harry Potter and the Codex of Ivermectin

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I did a merge that removed something like 100k lines of code, thus making me the best programmer in the company by a significant margin

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I did a merge that removed something like 100k lines of code, thus making me the best programmer in the company by a significant margin

good goood.

now delete the repos, burn the servers and ascend to godhood

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

treeman79 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev [–]

I work hard with my daughters on math. They are highly intelligent and have a talent for it.
Nothing but lip and complaints on how useless it is. I know the moment they get a free choice, they will never touch it again.
My only hope is to find a group of girls that are into math for them to hang out with. But more then likely will take the easy road of going off there looks to get what they want in life. One already has.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

fritz posted:

treeman79 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev [–]

I work hard with my daughters on math. They are highly intelligent and have a talent for it.
Nothing but lip and complaints on how useless it is. I know the moment they get a free choice, they will never touch it again.
My only hope is to find a group of girls that are into math for them to hang out with. But more then likely will take the easy road of going off there looks to get what they want in life. One already has.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
this thread is just knocking it out of the park

quote:

Octopuses, crabs and lobsters to be recognised as sentient beings under UK law (lse.ac.uk)

top comment, eh, whatever, but still gets hn points for that style of citation

quote:

monkeybutton 2 hours ago | next [–]

Octopi I understand, but lobsters? They have less than half the nervous system of an ant [1]. Are individual ants sentient and worthy of legislating over?

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of...

the top comment in response to it is _very_ on topic

quote:

ryan_j_naughton 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]

Octopi is not the correct plural. Octopus is of greek origin, not latin. Thus, its greek plural is octopodes. And thus, since we don't tend to use greek plurals in english, the other proper plural is octopuses.

Octopi is what's known as a hypercorrection. "A hypercorrection is non-standard use of language that results from the over-application of a perceived rule of language-usage prescription. A speaker or writer who produces a hypercorrection generally believes through a misunderstanding of such rules that the form is more "correct", standard, or otherwise preferable, often combined with a desire to appear formal."[1]

Now, you will find octopi in the dictionary, but only because so many people have engaged in this hypercorrection that it has become widespread and dictionaries reflect common usage.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

and, then, in the responses to that

quote:

elcano 58 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I wonder if the trend of using the 'Latinx' term falls under the hypercorrection definition or there's something else to describe it. I'm not passing judgement on the inclusiveness intention, but the English word for Latino and Latina is just Latin, which doesn't have gender. There's no need to mix linguistics with algebra and add a gender variable to the latin word.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
scottcodie 8 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Samsung plans $17B chip plant in Taylor, Texas

It remains to be seen if shifting the cost to taxpayers is harmful to the economy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

v3rt3x 18 hours ago

Or they just don’t want to… I love my kids but I would prefer work to the tedium of dealing with small children or an infant any day. Most men I know just aren’t wired with the ability to tolerate child care. The last few years of “wokeness” can’t undo a few hundred thousand years of evolutionary biology.