Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

navyjack posted:

Seems like the right place for this so:
My mom is going to be staying with me for awhile while she recovers from some medical stuff. I’m trying to find stuff that we can watch together but it’s tough. Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.
Person of Interest absolutely hits this sweet spot. She’ll like it for the procedural stuff you’ll like it for the sci-fi elements.

Also seconding the Supernatural and Psych recommendations.

Elementary is also good.

You may want to give Dispatches from Elsewhere a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I also really want to recommend The Tudors and Blacksails but both have lots of :sonia:.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

navyjack posted:

Seems like the right place for this so:
My mom is going to be staying with me for awhile while she recovers from some medical stuff. I’m trying to find stuff that we can watch together but it’s tough. Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.

Anne with an E is great, it's a retelling Anne of Green Gables but with a lot more focus on social and cultural issues. Given the recent discoveries of mass graves at Canadian Indian Residential Schools it makes one of the final seasons storylines even grimmer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Lucifer is on Netflix and it starts as a procedural. A lot of people didn't like that aspect of it, but I actually really enjoyed it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

South Side is a very good comedy. its kind of like a black Always Sunny

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow that was a hosed up episode of Chucky

This continues to be an incredible show

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wow that was a hosed up episode of Chucky

This continues to be an incredible show

This show must really hate moms.

I was like :ohdear: every time there was a sentimental moment because I knew what was coming. But I did love Andy and Kyle going like full bounty hunters on all the Chuckys.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

im rewatching the newsroom during a serious bout of having almost literally nothing to watch and well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8&t=162s

I must have been high for the whole run of this show because its the worst and I cant imagine how I watched it and forgot how insane it was.

edit: still. its funny and funniest when its unintentional - like the psychically simultaneous pilot handshake

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 17, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's so loving insane but at the same time, remember that on the night "we got im" there was a huge crowd chanting USA USA USA in front of the White House. That was weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Qmass posted:

during a serious bout of having almost literally nothing to watch and well...

I can't even...

I'm fairly sure I could quit my job today and watch TV until I die and not hit full coverage of my queue.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

what can I say ..?

I have very specific tastes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Qmass posted:

im rewatching the newsroom during a serious bout of having almost literally nothing to watch and well...

I must have been high for the whole run of this show because its the worst and I cant imagine how I watched it and forgot how insane it was.

edit: still. its funny and funniest when its unintentional - like the psychically simultaneous pilot handshake
There's that other clip where one of the characters has a heart attack that's edited really hilariously, too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

It's so loving insane but at the same time, remember that on the night "we got im" there was a huge crowd chanting USA USA USA in front of the White House. That was weird.

Someone posted a clip from Studio 60 where one of the actors parents goes off on him about how his brother was in Iraq and he was just goofing off on TV and the consensus around it was "wow, Sorkin was so crazy, what an insane thing!". And yes Sorkin is crazy for a lot of reasons, but poo poo like that was absolutely the norm at the time. People treated the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan the same way as when their team won the Super Bowl or NBA Finals, people were absolutely going nuts. Hell, I had a friend in college who had a brother in Afghanistan and he quit talking to his parents because if he dared complain about an upcoming exam or a heavy course load his parents would just say "at least you aren't in a warzone like your brother".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember when the initial Iraq invasion was happening there was a teacher who would start every class for a few days somberly updating us on American casualties that day and saying he understood if we needed time to grieve or talk about it before starting class.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Qmass posted:

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112

Also the "Republicans are the American Taliban" is peak PMC lib brain bullshit and so cringe.

Outside of a Few Good Men, Sorkin is complete and utter trash.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

South Side is a very good comedy. its kind of like a black Always Sunny

I’m four eps into it so far and I don’t love it but it’s definitely got its own vibe and I appreciate that a lot

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Try Ozark maybe. Not the best show but it has enough things going for it that make it compelling. I don’t remember if it has much sex stuff, but I don’t think so?

Ozark definitely has some long awkward sex scenes.

Source: watched with my parents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most awkward movie I watched with my mom was Pulp Fiction. Starts off with a pussy eating discussion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

swickles posted:

Someone posted a clip from Studio 60 where one of the actors parents goes off on him about how his brother was in Iraq and he was just goofing off on TV and the consensus around it was "wow, Sorkin was so crazy, what an insane thing!". And yes Sorkin is crazy for a lot of reasons, but poo poo like that was absolutely the norm at the time. People treated the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan the same way as when their team won the Super Bowl or NBA Finals, people were absolutely going nuts. Hell, I had a friend in college who had a brother in Afghanistan and he quit talking to his parents because if he dared complain about an upcoming exam or a heavy course load his parents would just say "at least you aren't in a warzone like your brother".

Something from Studio 60 that I remember: Sorkin had been dating an actress, but they had broken up, and she later (or maybe while they were together?) did a pictorial for Maxim or one of those mags. So Sorkin wrote a plot about one of the Studio 60 characters was going to pose for Maxim, so he had two of the other characters (male, of course) preach to her how no one would ever respect her again if she did that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Annabel Pee posted:

Ozark definitely has some long awkward sex scenes.

Source: watched with my parents.

I remember my brother insisting that we all watch the pilot for Breaking Bad (I had seen it 3 times at that point) when I visited for Christmas one year.

Luckily it was on Netflix, so it didn't have the handjob but it was still awkward as hell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's why it's important to separate art from artist
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1461002623922982920

Because then you can't enjoy Art on Justified and well, Art's great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Orphan Black could also be an option for whoever was looking for stuff to watch with mom. Sci-fi, mysteries, great acting

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Here's why it's important to separate art from artist
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1461002623922982920

Because then you can't enjoy Art on Justified and well, Art's great.

That guy has been notably insane for years. He's a special kind of cruel and loves mocking people even more than your average conservative nutso.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Azhais posted:

Orphan Black could also be an option for whoever was looking for stuff to watch with mom. Sci-fi, mysteries, great acting

Orphan Black was like the 2nd big thing we watched. She’s gonna give She-Hulk a chance because she loved Tatiana so much.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

navyjack posted:

Orphan Black was like the 2nd big thing we watched. She’s gonna give She-Hulk a chance because she loved Tatiana so much.

Could also give Russian Doll a try, second season is actually happening at some point here

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Russian Doll is a good choice, I agree. I just rewatched it and I liked it better the 2nd time.

2nd season is supposedly coming in spring 2022. Annie Murphy and Sharlto Copley have joined the cast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

isaboo posted:

Russian Doll is a good choice, I agree. I just rewatched it and I liked it better the 2nd time.

2nd season is supposedly coming in spring 2022. Annie Murphy and Sharlto Copley have joined the cast.

Sharlto Copley

OH NOW I'M EXCITED.

Hardcore Henry is one of my favorite action movies.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Longmire is like, primo boomer TV.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1461061738573537282

Vincent fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 17, 2021

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m four eps into it so far and I don’t love it but it’s definitely got its own vibe and I appreciate that a lot

I started the first few episodes a while back and didn't love it; thought it was kind of funny but not great.

Recently picked it up again and finished the rest of season 1 and started on 2, and I like it a lot more.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vincent posted:

Longmire is like, primo boomer TV.

It really is. Having been forced to watch it with relatives I can say it’s decent. Use of Native casting is cool too. Some beautiful scenery to boot but fairly tame with sex. Same relatives really like Justified too. Fargo season 1 and 2 they mixed well with but they did not like season 3. Both are far better than the Rookie or Magnum PI boomer fodder.

As far as branching out goes: Expanse I love but it had mixed results with them. If you have any Native family or just really familiar with them and Reserve culture I’d say try Reservation Dogs. Comedy and no giant mystery but really good and a bit poignant. Other outside choice is Wayne. Patriot is good but I had two who LOVED it and more that hated it. For All Mankind is a safe bet as is Ted Lasso. The Americans can hook boomers like crack but more conservative ones might think a little racy. Only Murders in the Building is cute but seems if your relatives are more country like mine they might feel it’s a bit cityfied. I’ve got some freakin hicks in my family.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DogsInSpace! posted:

The Americans can hook boomers like crack but more conservative ones might think a little racy.

A little racy? They stuff a corpse into a suitcase!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For some reason (probably because it came out last year when I was a little distracted for some reason) I only now discovered the show How To with John Wilson on HBO. It's really hilarious and reminds me a lot of Nathan for You, and of course I see that Nathan Fielder was a producer on it. Really happy I discovered it now, since the second season is about to start.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Qmass posted:

oh my god, i rewound the clip a little and lol that he's telling these people "the armed forces killed osama bin laden for _you_ tonight." Who the hell are these guys, why do they give a poo poo, I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo when they killed him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

oh my god, i rewound the clip a little and lol that he's telling these people "the armed forces killed osama bin laden for _you_ tonight." Who the hell are these guys, why do they give a poo poo, I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo when they killed him.

It was a big deal but not a big enough deal to do that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As someone who was in college when Osama bin Laden was killed, it was kind of a big deal. Then again, I was 22 years old, and had grown up with a real-life boogeyman.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/434/this-week/act-one

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Things were pretty solemn in my household when we heard the news. It was a mix of shock/relief etc. The people on TV screaming USA USA USA are dumbasses.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't The Newsroom the show that starts with a speech that involves Boomer-rear end Jeff Daniels shouting at a college student--people who potentially weren't even old enough to vote in the most recent election--about how "kids these days" are, in fact, the shittiest generation and how everything loving sucks and, surprise twist, the U.S. isn't really all it's cracked up to be, and somehow that's because you young people are loving idiots?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he throws out some very dubious facts, like how the U.S. is "178th" in the world in infant mortality. What?

EDIT 2: Yeah here it is:

quote:

None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are
without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period.

Yeah gently caress that idiotic show.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 18, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

In fairness, this and one or two others are the most egregious and meme-worthy examples. Not trying to defend the show and say it's not bad, but it isn't consistently this bad.

Side note: It's crazy to think that the majority of people I'd be playing game with or conversing with online were born after 9/11.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't The Newsroom the show that starts with a speech that involves Boomer-rear end Jeff Daniels shouting at a college student--people who potentially weren't even old enough to vote in the most recent election--about how "kids these days" are, in fact, the shittiest generation and how everything loving sucks and, surprise twist, the U.S. isn't really all it's cracked up to be, and somehow that's because you young people are loving idiots?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he throws out some very dubious facts, like how the U.S. is "178th" in the world in infant mortality. What?

WORST PERIOD GENERATION PERIOD EVER PERIOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arist posted:

WORST PERIOD GENERATION PERIOD EVER PERIOD

Haha yes, thank you, I found it right after you posted :cheers: